ADVERTISEMENT

Since we joined the sec (starting 1991-92 basketball season)

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
How many times have the 14 teams been either the #1 seed or sec basketball tournament Champion

Alabama: #1 seed (2), Title(1)
Arkansas: #1 seed (2), Title(1)
Auburn: #1 seed (2), Title(1)
Florida: #1 seed (3), Title(4)
Georgia: #1 seed (0), Title(1)
Kentucky: #1 seed (12), Title(18)
LSU: #1 seed (3), Title(0)
Missouri(2012-13): #1 seed (0), Title(0)
Miss St: #1 seed (1), Title(3)
Ole Miss: #1 seed (0), Title(1)
South Carolina: #1 seed (1), Title(0)
Tennessee: #1 seed (2), Title(0)
Texas A&M(2012-13): #1 seed (1), Title(0)
Vanderbilt: #1 seed (1), Title(1)

We have just one regular season title to our name in 30 years of playing SEC basketball, while just about every other program in the conference has either won the regular season multiple times or the tournament title or both in that same span, just sad!

How many times have the 14 teams been either the #1 seed or sec basketball tournament Champion

We have just one regular season title to our name in 30 years of playing SEC basketball, while just about every other program in the conference has either won the regular season multiple times or the tournament title or both in that same span, just sad!
We have the worst conference record of any team since joining the conference. I’m excluding A&M and Missouri, though I’d say they have higher win percentages since joining.

We have the worst conference record of any team since joining the conference. I’m excluding A&M and Missouri, though I’d say they have higher win percentages since joining.
And it's just pathetic, we're as irrelevant as you can get, the final four run was a fluke, the only comparable team I can think of is Minnesota in 1997. This is not 1970 and there is no Frank McGuire walking through that door.

And it's just pathetic, we're as irrelevant as you can get, the final four run was a fluke, the only comparable team I can think of is Minnesota in 1997. This is not 1970 and there is no Frank McGuire walking through that door.

True. No McGuire but we are paying $3.5 million to Martin to reverse the trend and we will pay the next coach (likely this March or April IMO) to do the same. We are not hiring MBB coaches for the status quo.

The fact that most of the other SEC teams outperforming us over 30 years points to mismanagement and poor hires. Maybe if we look at the next guy and say, "Take us dancing a minimum of 2 out of 5 years to maintain a satisfactory job performance", we will get some better results.

I'm not happy with bball right now, but we're in the middle of the SEC not the bottom in the last 30years. You forgot one important factor, how many SEC teams have been to the final four during that time. You may say it was a fluke, etc...., But it did happen, and it was wonderful as a fan. You can find thousands of fans that would like to experience that just once for their team.
I'm not saying Frank needs to stay or go, I'm just saying there have been some great times over the last 30yrs of bball.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm not happy with bball right now, but we're in the middle of the SEC not the bottom in the last 30years. You forgot one important factor, how many SEC teams have been to the final four during that time. You may say it was a fluke, etc...., But it did happen, and it was wonderful as a fan. You can find thousands of fans that would like to experience that just once for their team.
I'm not saying Frank needs to stay or go, I'm just saying there have been some great times over the last 30yrs of bball.
I think that a place like Florida serves as a benchmark - not Kentucky, a confirmed basketball school. Florida has done well in basketball as a decidedly football school. I don't see why we couldn't aspire to do much better than we have done and are doing.

• National Championships: 2 (2006, 2007)
  • Final Four Appearances: 5 (1994, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2014)
  • Sweet Sixteen Appearances: 10 (1994, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017) **
  • NCAA Tournament Appearances: 21 (1989, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021) **
  • NCAAT Overall Record: 45-19 **
  • NIT Championships: 0
  • NIT Appearances: 10 (1969, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2016)
  • NIT Overall Record: 13-12
Just sayin'.

I gave up my second row season tickets after Martin's first year. Couldn't stand his bully type treatment of players. Plus he can't or is too lazy to recruit.

Reactions: ForeUSC

It's been mostly miserable and the past 30 years includes being totally dominated by our non-hoops playing rivals in the Upstate (just for good measure). All you really have to do is watch some other college basketball to see how really bad we are.

You would think Martin might have told our kids to stop driving on Castleton but no we let him have a career best eight blocks today. That's on Frank.

None of this matters. Frank took us to the final 4. Give him another 10 f$#$&ing years.

^^Complete acceptance of mediocrity^^^

My geography is terrible, but how many of those are in a dump of a city?
Six. And the Columbia haters either haven't been here in awhile or stay up in Harbison. Main Street, the Vista, West Cola/Brookland, the Devine St. corridor, Forest Acres, even North Main are all light years better than they were 20, even 15 years ago. Problems in 5 Points exist but are overstated. Sure there are problems, but there's a lot to like here these days.

Blaming crappy basketball on the City of Columbia is a real stretch.

Reactions: ForeUSC

How many teams have made the final four? Maybe 6? not sure. That matters..

Gone are the years when I enjoyed watching us win the NIT.
The NIT used to have greater status than it has today. Way more teams make the Dance today. Al McGuire reportedly once CHOSE the NIT over the NACCT just so he could take his team to New York, of you can imagine such a thing.

Last edited:
I gave up my second row season tickets after Martin's first year. Couldn't stand his bully type treatment of players. Plus he can't or is too lazy to recruit.
Recruiting can't all be blamed on him. We've struggled to bring in blue chip players since we left the ACC. The fact is we live in ACC country and high school kids in SC grow up dreaming of playing for teams like Duke and UNC. South Carolina is not looked at as a basketball school and I'm not sure what it would take to change that perception.

Let's be honest. We've F'd up coaching hires for awhile. Hyman had golden opportunity to replace Odom with a good roster for new guy. We chose a joke a coach and human being and Darrin Horn. We then doubled down on a coach who screams like a maniac and never seemed to embrace South Carolina. We WILL get it right eventually. Hopefully in two months.

I think until we solve the issue of local black pastors and community leaders (Ex: Antoine Jackson https://vizorsports.com/local-pastor/) publicly dogging the University and steering local basketball prospects to schools out of state we will continue to struggle. With the exception of PJ Dozier who was the last big time local prospect that signed with Carolina? There's a reason for that despite having some world class talent come from SC.

We have to figure out how to keep our local talented players to stay home and play for their home state school. Otherwise we are fighting for leftovers from out of state.

I remember when the NIT was a pretty big deal. (I don't remember when it was THE tourney but have read about it)

But when I was in high school and college, of course you wanted to make the NCAA but the NIT was still seen as a team having a pretty good season.

There is so much emphasis on the NCAA over the last 25 years that everything short of that is seen as a huge failure.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yes, and the NCAAT only had 24 teams in it. Still plenty of good teams to go around.
The NCAA used to only accept conference tournament champions. You could win the regular season title and lose in the conference tournament and miss out. It was before I was born but the best team USC ever had missed out on a chance to play for the title because they lost in the conference championship game. I think John Roche was injured and limited on what he could do that game.

The NCAA used to only accept conference tournament champions. You could win the regular season title and lose in the conference tournament and miss out. It was before I was born but the best team USC ever had missed out on a chance to play for the title because they lost in the conference championship game. I think John Roche was injured and limited on what he could do that game.
I lived through all that. Conference tournaments were high drama by reason of the sudden death aspect. Now, not every league elected to have tournaments, it should be pointed out.

The most startling stat you listed is that Kentucky had won 5 more SEC tournament titles during this time period than all the other 13 schools COMBINED. Unbelievable.

Roche turned his ankle. I have never been more devastated. That one still hurts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT