ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: It's sad to see landmarks from my time at USC disappear

surfincock

Oct 20, 2003
I graduated with a BSEE in 1986. I was in Columbia today looking at a new project and I went to the SC bookstore to get some goodies. The cashier told me that the school recently purchased the block the bookstore sits on, from their corner all the way to Wendy's for new buildings. He then said he's not sure but thinks the store may close. This is my favorite bookstore because it is next to the old engineering building. I left there to go to Sandy's to get lunch and it was closed. This was news to me since I haven't been there in a couple of years. Then I realized how many places are gone that were such a big part of my college years.

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.

I graduated with a BSEE in 1986. I was in Columbia today looking at a new project and I went to the SC bookstore to get some goodies. The cashier told me that the school recently purchased the block the bookstore sits on, from their corner all the way to Wendy's for new buildings. He then said he's not sure but thinks the store may close. This is my favorite bookstore because it is next to the old engineering building. I left there to go to Sandy's to get lunch and it was closed. This was news to me since I haven't been there in a couple of years. Then I realized how many places are gone that were such a big part of my college years.

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.

I have a BSEE and MSEE 1972 and 1975 from USC and had a similar experience with my son in 1986. We were living in the Raleigh area and I took him to the campus for a tour. Many of the offices, school cafeterias, libraries, restaurants, etc had been closed or moved from my years at USC. It was shocking at that time. But, that campus and the surrounding blocks resemble very little of what "used to be" Sure would be fun being a student there now. All of my classes were in the old engineering building. Great days and priceless memories.

Last time I went in SC Bookstore I was shocked to see they sell beer in there now!

I graduated in 2001 undergraduate (really cool) and 2004 graduate program. I barely recognize the campus through all the changes since my time. I cannot imagine the changes since the 80s, though growing up in columbia during that time I have a little idea....

not surprised by Sandy’s, it was dwindling there the last couple years I thought. Did they move?

I have a BSEE and MSEE 1972 and 1975 from USC and had a similar experience with my son in 1986. We were living in the Raleigh area and I took him to the campus for a tour. Many of the offices, school cafeterias, libraries, restaurants, etc had been closed or moved from my years at USC. It was shocking at that time. But, that campus and the surrounding blocks resemble very little of what "used to be" Sure would be fun being a student there now. All of my classes were in the old engineering building. Great days and priceless memories.
I spent long years in the old engineering building. It was called Sumwalt I think.

I spent long years in the old engineering building. It was called Sumwalt I think.

The three generations of Sumwalts have been very productive. I was BSEE in 1972 too (for Bedouin post) and then MSEE at Georgia Tech. I remember polishing the Bent (Tau Beta Pi) in front of the Sumwalt Building. Does anyone know where it was moved?

Reactions: BedouinCock
The three generations of Sumwalts have been very productive. I was BSEE in 1972 too (for Bedouin post) and then MSEE at Georgia Tech. I remember polishing the Bent (Tau Beta Pi) in front of the Sumwalt Building. Does anyone know where it was moved?
I think in front of swearingen engineering building on South main

LOL! I finished USC in '67. The changes in and expansion of the campus since that time are beyond amazing. Except for 5 years in Florida, I've lived and worked (now retired) in Columbia, so I have witnessed the transformation over many years. We now have a campus to be proud of that extends way beyond the Horseshoe and Gibbes Green . . . And there's a LOT more to come! :)

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.
wasn't the campus club & its wooden nickles still open when u finished?

The DSP (Downstairs Plaza) has been gone since the late 1980's. It was usually the cheapest draft beer around the campus. Decent food also from what I remember. The year before my freshman year, USC was voted one of the top 5 party schools in the entire country by Playboy magazine. Maybe even number 1, I cannot remember for sure.

There is not much left on the campus and surroundings from my time there (1978-1982). If the buildings still exist, they are used for something else now. I guess Gambrell is still used for the history department, but besides that, I cannot think of a single classroom building where I had classes that is still operating as such.

Reactions: tngamecock#
I'm a Big Bird alumnus from 1970. It was a great place to eat and to hang out. Sandwiches and plate lunches, something for every taste, plus there was a laundromat in the same block. The only detriment was the Burger Beer on draught. Boy, that stuff had a wang to it.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
Not just our campus, but the girls look like they weigh at least 30 lbs more nowadays on average. So the scenery has changed since the 80's.

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
Those old places have been replaced by 3 times as many really good places to eat and hang.

My dad was able to go to most of his favorite places before they closed down because we lived here. He told me its a bit sad, but he apparently acclimated quickly to thirsty fellow, 1801, bourbon, etc

But I do get the nostalgia....I was upset when my dads honeycomb was torn down after he always pointed out where he lived as a freshman. I lived in almost the same spot years later, but in a new building.

Big Bird Basket! The Stuffer! Pimento Cheese Burger Dairy Bar.....Psycho Burger from Seaboard Diner....cant remember what he liked from subcabin...he is dictating to me obviously!

And please let us not forget the Original Biscuit House across from WB. Many a death by hangover avoided thanks to Gene.

Reactions: jb1006
Gosh, I'm too afraid now to go back and visit...Some of my favs of course was living in the honeycombs...those have been gone for years though, Sandy's.

When i was there, we would hang out at Goatfeathers? is it still there?

Naked Iguana?, Rock-a-Fellas?

What was the restaurant beside Parkland Plaza that had the buffet where you could get turkey n dressing? god i loved that place. Heard they tore it down years ago.

The German Gesthaus on Decker Blvd burnt but Julia has another location I believe open for lunch...Did not care for the one is St. Andrews/Irmo.

Some of us spent many a nite at the Steak and Egg Kitchen in Cayce studying and eating eggs, grits and bacon...they were 24 hrs.

I'm sad to say, most times, I see the Gamecocks play in Knoxville...I just don't have the same feeling for Columbia as a City anymore...I love my Alma Mater but the closest I get to Columbia is Greenville (my home area)...

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.
I graduated in 1968. Capstone had just been built, and the Honeycombs were still new.
The Carolina Coliseum was being built. The Big Bird was just a few years old at the time.
The Reflecting Pool in front of the Library was built the year before. It used to be Davis Field, where Baseball was played in the distant past. The ROTC paraded there often. Longstreet Theater was still used as a Gym for some PE classes and Intramural basketball. There were just 11,000 students at that time, about the size Coastal Carolina is now. The current USC budget is bigger than the entire State budget
in 1968, which was 500 million.

Reactions: king ward
No argument from me. It used to be good 20 or 30 years ago. The last couple of times I ate there, it was awful.
The only one that's good is on Garners Ferry. Every other one I've ever eaten at was awful, especially the one by the airport.

1. Pappy's
2. The Big Bird
3. The laundromat
4. The honeycombs
5. Sandy's
6. Block C
7. Rainbows
8. Parthenon
9. KFC on Rosewood

Kinda sad about it.

Totally agree

big_bird_1980.jpg

Right in front of that VW Beetle, there was a barber shop, my dad used to take me there back in late 60's...

Was there in the late '70's/ early '80's. Lived in Cola. Hall & ordered way too many pizzas delivered from Pizza Express. I can't even remember the address on the boxes (don't know if I ever saw the place, but it didn't take long to find their flyer once I arrived). Big Bird, Stuffy's, Wed. lunch buffet at the Top of Carolina in Capstone. Don's (Music & Marching Society), Group Therapy (opened in '78, maybe??), Greene Streets, Saluda Avenue Party Shop (purchasing liquor from the ABC/Red Dot side was no problema...even for freshmen)!! Windy Ethyl's, The Frog & Brassiere Tavern. My brother, who was there in '65-'69, lived in one of the Honeycombs when they still had letter designations rather than names. Talked about watching the Carolina Coliseum being constructed at the former location of one of their favorite watering holes from his first couple of years...The Hitching Post!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT