ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: It's sad to see landmarks from my time at USC disappear

Does anyone else remember the Library on Rosewood. Ceilings were 7 foot high at best with the pool table in the back and shaging to beach music. Of course you had to watch your back when you came out, many a fight in the parking lot there. But the Busch beer was a buck and the music was good.

It opened a little after 'my time' ('63-'68), but I recall hearing a lot about it when I moved to Florida - word travels fast! LOL!

Does anyone else remember the Library on Rosewood. Ceilings were 7 foot high at best with the pool table in the back and shaging to beach music. Of course you had to watch your back when you came out, many a fight in the parking lot there. But the Busch beer was a buck and the music was good.

I remember. Buds were $0.75. I tried to tip when I had a little cash, but if I was really broke (most of the time), I could drink 4 beers on $3.00! If it was a really long night, 8 beers on $6.00. If I walked in with $10.00, I still had money left over to hit the Capitol Cafe before retiring for the night around 3AM.

Even beer has gotten ridiculously expensive at bars these days. $2.50 for a single domestic is about as cheap as you can get 1 beer.

I still miss the George Rogers Mural Experience

012-rogers1.jpg

013-rogers2.jpg

I raised money for the mural by selling posters of it when I was a senior working for the Columbia Public Information Dept. It was part of my financial aid package which was called a "Work Study" job back then.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Does "Rockaways" on Rosewood still exist? It wasn't quite run down inside back in the early 90's, but the outside and parking areas were pathetic even then. They used to have the "Crawdad Festival" every year. That was the only time I ever ate crawfish.

To be really nostalgic: Who remembers 15 cent draft beer at the blue room by
Gulf station on corner of Sumter and Pendleton? The old army barracks beside
and behind McKissick library that were used for classrooms. I watched them
building Russell House during summer school in '55. Is Kesslers Bamboo
still open in 5 points?

Does "Rockaways" on Rosewood still exist? It wasn't quite run down inside back in the early 90's, but the outside and parking areas were pathetic even then. They used to have the "Crawdad Festival" every year. That was the only time I ever ate crawfish.[/QUOTE
Rockaways is still there. It has been remodeled/cleaned up inside and out. Actually it was rebuilt. The original Rockaways building was formerly Doc's Lounge and was a hangout for Rex Enright's assistant coaches. They still have the crawfish festival, also.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT