ADVERTISEMENT

So it is 1977, a head coach at a major football university ...

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
So it is 1977, a head coach at a major football university has an affair with his defensive coordinator's and assistant head coach's wife. Using today's standards, how would that play out today if it happened? Say, hypothetically, Lincoln Riley was caught having a long running affair with his defensive coordinator, Mike Stoop's wife. If that happened, what would the results be today for the head coach? Using today's standards?

Last edited:
So it is 1977, a head coach at a major football university has an affair with his defensive coordinator's and assistant head coach's wife. Using today's standards, how would that play out today if it happened? Say, hypothetically, Lincoln Riley was caught having a long running affair with his defensive coordinator, Mike Stoop's wife. If that happened, what would the results be today for the head coach? Using today's standards?

why do i feel a charlie rich song comin' on?..............consentin' adults

carlen had an affair w/ a girl (who he would later mary), about 1/2 his age.......as.a cola buddy who knew her told me, "you'd leave yer wife too!":)

men r such dawgs.................now where did i put my bone?

He would lose his job.

So y'all are not aware I am talking about Barry Switzer and his defensive coordinator Larry Lacewell at Oklahoma in 1977?

So y'all are not aware I am talking about Barry Switzer and his defensive coordinator Larry Lacewell at Oklahoma in 1977?

Dude, that was over 40 years ago, it’s ancient history. Add the fact that there were 3 outlets for national news, no dedicated sports channels, and the news media at the time just didn’t dig for dirt in the person lives of prominent people like they do now......how would any one under 50 that was not a huge Oklahoma/Barry Switzer geek be expected to know this? Seriously

carlen had an affair w/ a girl (who he would later mary), about 1/2 his age.......as.a cola buddy who knew her told me, "you'd leave yer wife too!":)

They were also married until he passed away ... 20-25 years I believe.

I may be way off base, but wasn’t she a cheerleader at USC?

Ellis Johnson was let go as defensive coordinator at Clemson in the 90s for an affair with a cheerleader he would later marry and have kids with.

Hmmm.....
I need to check my hypocrite meter because I was/am a huge Carlen fan. Have read that was one reason he was fired. That and the loss to Pacific. Who????

fired because he wouldn't let yer prez put his hands n the athletic kitty.
Yeah and the &^%&*BOTs went along with it. A low blow to USC not quite equal to the idiotic decision(at the time)to withdraw from the ACC. What'shisface must have had pics of the BOTs.

Reactions: atl-cock
Hmmm.....
I need to check my hypocrite meter because I was/am a huge Carlen fan. Have read that was one reason he was fired. That and the loss to Pacific. Who????

It was so dumb of Carolina and the BOT to fire Coach Carlen... He went 6-6 that year, a year after George Rogers era was over and Richard Bell was our DC, and resident brown noser who wanted Coach Carlen's job...

Last edited:
Imagine guys like JFK and other recent historical figures....the trend of social media takedowns and dirt digging are really only getting started I'm afraid.
There are so many people from the past, even popular ones, that may not have survived today's scrutiny

Dude, that was over 40 years ago, it’s ancient history. Add the fact that there were 3 outlets for national news, no dedicated sports channels, and the news media at the time just didn’t dig for dirt in the person lives of prominent people like they do now......how would any one under 50 that was not a huge Oklahoma/Barry Switzer geek be expected to know this? Seriously

Dallas Cowboy fans kinda know it. Lacewell became Jerry Jones scouting director for about 8 years during the glory years (3 out of 4 Super Bowls). When Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson had their blowup and Jerry was thinking about hiring Switzer (he did) then Jones had to deal with Lacewell's history with Switzer. Lacewell was still married to the woman that many years later. I think some people under 50 remember the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl in the 90s.

Imagine guys like JFK and other recent historical figures....the trend of social media takedowns and dirt digging are really only getting started I'm afraid.
There are so many people from the past, even popular ones, that may not have survived today's scrutiny

I think a lot of politicians wouldn't survive today's standards (e.g. skirt hound JFK) and others like Eisenhower and FDR would have been forced into divorces they wouldn't otherwise do.

There was also an (unmarried) assistant coach here who was a party animal and often slept in his office at night. Spurrier got rid of him too.

There was also an (unmarried) assistant coach here who was a party animal and often slept in his office at night. Spurrier got rid of him too.

Go on....I’m guessing I know who you’re talking about, but out him. Was he Lane Kiffin’s brother in-law for awhile?

Just the run of the mill affair? I think a coach can still get away with that this day and time. If you fired every coach in this country that might chase a skirt every now and then, you would have a ton of coaches in the unemployment line Now if things are happening between folks connected with the staff, that probably isn't going to work simply because there is always a loser in those situations that will eventually effect the chemistry among the staff.

Just the run of the mill affair? I think a coach can still get away with that this day and time. If you fired every coach in this country that might chase a skirt every now and then, you would have a ton of coaches in the unemployment line Now if things are happening between folks connected with the staff, that probably isn't going to work simply because there is always a loser in those situations that will eventually effect the chemistry among the staff.

Is it more serious because it was his long-time defensive coordinator and assistant head coach? Who he publicly called his best friend? I think many find the betrayal aspect to his friend more puzzling and serious than the infidelity issue.

So I guess it was a little awkward when the 2 of them worked again for the Cowboys?

Larry was Cowboy Director of college and pro scouting 1992 to 2004

Barry HC from 1994 to 1997

Legend has it Larry blew the 1978 Orange bowl on purpose as payback to Barry, the one that Lou Holtz used to always talk about winning at Arkansas with his star players suspended, 31-6.

OU was a 18 pt favorite

So I guess it was a little awkward when the 2 of them worked again for the Cowboys?

Larry was Cowboy Director of college and pro scouting 1992 to 2004

Barry HC from 1994 to 1997

It was awkward for Jones who went to Lacewell with his idea to hire Barry. Larry gave the okay, although he couldn't have liked it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT