ADVERTISEMENT

So my wife got a big bonus and she wants a new SUV ??

Piggybacking off Judson’s post . Told her to wait but happy wife happy life and if she gets a new car I get a new guitar so win win . So our budget is $35 to $45 and used but low miles is ok . She wants all the bells and whistles (I have roll down windows and pull up locks in my truck ) . She’s looking at Rav 4’s , Cherokee’s etc etc stuff like that . Any recommendations??
If you have safety in mind, I'd recommend a Volvo XC90.

I owned 2 Highlanders back to back, now own a volvo xc90 and the wife drives a lexus rx350....if she wants style and the "european luxury" feel, I absolutely love my volvo, it will basically drive itself....I put 200k in 3.5 years on each of my Highlanders and only changed oil, water pumps, brakes (once) and tires, very reliable....previous honda transmissions always went around 180k...lexus i don't drive much but the Ms. loves and since we don't put many miles on it have had zero service issues, just oil, tires and brakes...hope she loves whatever she chooses

Wife wants, and kind of needs a new vehicle as well. Problem is, she hasnt gotten any big bonuses and she drives a whole 4-5 miles a day to the school she teaches at. Her old Tahoe seems to be still running fine but the exterior looks a little rough. Its a 2007 and the paint has started peeling off in spots. Have honestly thought about getting it a new paint job instead of trading it. That being said, I have really enjoyed my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Gets great gas mileage and is a super nice looking SUV. Mine is a 2016 and I think I paid 30K for it? I have about 130K miles on it and have never had an issue with it.

OP, does your wife want an SUV in the sense of a 4×4 for off-road purposes or in the sense of a big vehicle for soccer-mom type stuff? Is she the kind to trade vehicles every couple of years, or is she looking for something to last her 10 years or more? It's hard to beat Hondas or Toyotas for longevity, but if she is likely to be in a different vehicle in 2 years anyway, I'm not sure that longevity is worth the premium.

I don't know where you live, but if snow/ice is an issue, Subaru's AWD system is about as good as it gets. During hunting season, I go up some pretty gnarly looking snow-covered forest service roads. When I get to the trailhead, it's not unusual to see a couple of near-monster trucks parked there - along with a Subaru Outback or two. Lol. Subaru has a new SUV, the Ascent, that is their largestUK SUV yet.

Wifey just picked up a BMW x3..you would be surprised how affordable they are

Congrats to your wife.
I'm curious as to what she does to receive a bonus check that must be the size of an annual salary for lots of people. Obviously not asking for specifics but just curious if she's in sales or what.

Believe it or not she’s an accountant , but she does high end commercial real estate . He boss owns high rises and offices all across the southeast . He’s a godzillionaire , I think he just turned 45 . She works hard so her slacker husband can play music and fish for a living !!! Haha .

Reactions: bcaldw01
BMW are wonderful cars. They normally are cutting edge. Pricey though. Depreciation is pretty severe. There is a reason their motto is “The Ultimate Driving experience. Mine has heated steering wheel and blows warm air on the back of your neck to go with heated and cooled seats. Very high tech but high priced maintenance as well. Great driving cars

Reactions: Zann77
OP, does your wife want an SUV in the sense of a 4×4 for off-road purposes or in the sense of a big vehicle for soccer-mom type stuff? Is she the kind to trade vehicles every couple of years, or is she looking for something to last her 10 years or more? It's hard to beat Hondas or Toyotas for longevity, but if she is likely to be in a different vehicle in 2 years anyway, I'm not sure that longevity is worth the premium.

I don't know where you live, but if snow/ice is an issue, Subaru's AWD system is about as good as it gets. During hunting season, I go up some pretty gnarly looking snow-covered forest service roads. When I get to the trailhead, it's not unusual to see a couple of near-monster trucks parked there - along with a Subaru Outback or two. Lol. Subaru has a new SUV, the Ascent, that is their largestUK SUV yet.

Thanks that’s great info . She just wants something “fancy”. Doesn’t care about 4WD or towing . We live in Florida so no worries about snow . Our daughter is at school at UCF so not a lot of need for room and storage . She just wants something nice . She will drive it until the wheels fall off it so we don’t plan to trade up anytime soon . One of my best friends wives has an outback and loves it . We looked at a few but she wasn’t really feeling it . We’re actually going to look at an Audi Q5 tonight . $33,000 with 16Lk . If I can talk the guy down a little we might have a winner . Thanks for the info

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Go with a minivan. Far more practical, comfortable and easier to drive.

Piggybacking off Judson’s post . Told her to wait but happy wife happy life and if she gets a new car I get a new guitar so win win . So our budget is $35 to $45 and used but low miles is ok . She wants all the bells and whistles (I have roll down windows and pull up locks in my truck ) . She’s looking at Rav 4’s , Cherokee’s etc etc stuff like that . Any recommendations??
Rav 4 very reliable Brought one for my wife and daughter in 2001 and both are in great shape. Best money I ever spent

Haha I’ve really got the Tele bug . The last guitar I bought was a Suhr and it’s hands down the best guitar I’ve played . I’ve got two strats , a 78’ Les Paul , a McCarty PRS , but the Suhr is on another level . Suhr makes some beautiful Tele’s so that’s probably gonna be the next member of the family . Always wanted a sunburst tele with Rosewood . The maple is just a little too twangy for me on those tele bridge pickups . You can’t go wrong with a D28 !! Beautiful guitars and hard to beat the tone . Just a little above my pay grade lol .

I’ve got 2 Teles, a Martin 000-28, Martin D-28, and a Gibson L2 Custom Shop. The key to Fender Telecasters is to immediately change the pickups. I changed one of mine to Vaughn Skow pickups, which were the first “boutique” pickups I’ve ever tried. Never realized stock Fender pickups were such garbage. And that was in a 52 AVRI which are SUPPOSED to be good pickups. I won’t ever have a fender without non-boutique pickups again.

planning on my next guitar to be a Gibson LP Special with P90s. But I also want to wire my 000-28 with a pickup, which will then require an amp.

Lots of these cats are throwing out some high dollar rides to you so hopefully that bonus is better the Clark's in Christmas Vacation. If you are looking at something no so expensive, the Mazda CX5 gets some great reviews and may actually be the top pick for mid-size SUV's these days. Also agree with the guy earlier on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, still in my 2014 and its running like a champ. Oil changes and brakes has been about it for maintenance and you cant beat the Jeep 4-Wheel Drive IMHO if you need that.

Added links, CX5 is actually in the compact SUV, however the CX9 is in the mid-size.

If you are willing to pay that much, let me know. I’ll go buybone with less mikes and sell it to you. I’ll make a very nice profit. $30-35K tops for what you just described.

How about you find me what I listed for 30-35 and I’ll give you 3k in a finding fee?

Hmm, no love for the Honda Pilot. I bought one brand new at the Touring trim line in 2017 in that price range at the end of the season. If you buy with a few miles you could probably get one at the Elite level for less than your range. It has been a phenomenal vehicle and has about 4 inches more third row leg room, 10 more cubic feet of passenger space and slightly more headroom than the Highlander. Both really great vehicles. The size made the difference for me as I'm 6'4" and have 2 adult children.

I’ve got 2 Teles, a Martin 000-28, Martin D-28, and a Gibson L2 Custom Shop. The key to Fender Telecasters is to immediately change the pickups. I changed one of mine to Vaughn Skow pickups, which were the first “boutique” pickups I’ve ever tried. Never realized stock Fender pickups were such garbage. And that was in a 52 AVRI which are SUPPOSED to be good pickups. I won’t ever have a fender without non-boutique pickups again.

planning on my next guitar to be a Gibson LP Special with P90s. But I also want to wire my 000-28 with a pickup, which will then require an amp.

My 78 LP custom has P-90’s . I love it . The only problem with that guitar is it’s like having a cinder block around your neck . It’s HEAVY . Love the guitar but can’t really use it on 4 hour gigs . You are dead on about the pickups . I put Suhr ML pickups in one of my strats and it was night and day . The cleans are just amazing . Definitely check them out .

Lots of these cats are throwing out some high dollar rides to you so hopefully that bonus is better the Clark's in Christmas Vacation. If you are looking at something no so expensive, the Mazda CX5 gets some great reviews and may actually be the top pick for mid-size SUV's these days. Also agree with the guy earlier on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, still in my 2014 and its running like a champ. Oil changes and brakes has been about it for maintenance and you cant beat the Jeep 4-Wheel Drive IMHO if you need that.

Added links, CX5 is actually in the compact SUV, however the CX9 is in the mid-size.

She’s actually looked at a CX5 . They are really nice !!

Reactions: heelzfor2
My 78 LP custom has P-90’s . I love it . The only problem with that guitar is it’s like having a cinder block around your neck . It’s HEAVY . Love the guitar but can’t really use it on 4 hour gigs . You are dead on about the pickups . I put Suhr ML pickups in one of my strats and it was night and day . The cleans are just amazing . Definitely check them out .

yeah, I had a 1993 Les Paul Standard which was a great one that I probably should’ve kept. But it was a beast, close to 12.5 pounds.

She’s actually looked at a CX5 . They are really nice !!

Yes the wife just got one this past April and loves it. U get a lot more options for your money with the Mazda and its got some pep for a 4banger. They come with the V6 turbo as well I believe. She got the white with tinted windows but the burgandy and navy blue is really pretty as well.

How about you find me what I listed for 30-35 and I’ll give you 3k in a finding fee?
Tell me what you want. Where are you available to pick up? Prefer delivery? I'm in Central FL. Still wanting an Expedition? Must it have 4X4? The latter is the difference between $34K and $40K.

$38.9K for 2019 Expedition RWD 2600 miles. Need 4X4 $37K but it does have 39K miles. There are 2018s in the 30-35K range. Although the best 2018 is $40K but it has all the bells and whistles and 4X4 - 41K miles - very sharpe vehicle.

Why not a Wrangler Unlimited? All the fun of a Jeep plus cargo room. As an added bonus she can drive it till the doors fall off and still keep driving it.

Seriously I would look at a Tesla Model 3. Enough torque to smoke ANY car at the stoplight. Bells and whistles...I can watch Netflix and YouTube in my car. I can play songs, open the glovebox and set the temperature by talking to it. I can set the temperature for the dog in the car if I want to put him in it. More roomy than you think. It can fit a 65 inch tv in the box in the trunk. No oil changes, no gas. Only supercharger in Columbia (assuming you live there) is out on Farrow Road, that’s the only drawback. You could install a charger in the garage for around $1,000.

I probably should sell these. I’ve never loved an item more than this car. Seriously.

Drove a Highlander and liked the Subaru Ascent better. You can get a lot of features for 33k premium model.

Seriously I would look at a Tesla Model 3. Enough torque to smoke ANY car at the stoplight. Bells and whistles...I can watch Netflix and YouTube in my car. I can play songs, open the glovebox and set the temperature by talking to it. I can set the temperature for the dog in the car if I want to put him in it. More roomy than you think. It can fit a 65 inch tv in the box in the trunk. No oil changes, no gas. Only supercharger in Columbia (assuming you live there) is out on Farrow Road, that’s the only drawback. You could install a charger in the garage for around $1,000.

I probably should sell these. I’ve never loved an item more than this car. Seriously.
Follow me to SD. Ill beat you by a day lol. Seriously, that's the only reason electric is out for me.

I have the Forester XT and one of the first Ascents. Love both of them. That AWD is amazing. We test drove it up a mud hill of almost a 45 degree incline and it did it with ease. I was shocked to be honest. I was used to only trucks in 35s doing that lol

Seriously I would look at a Tesla Model 3. Enough torque to smoke ANY car at the

Tesla owners surely seem to love their cars. Cold weather is not a factor for the OP, but I think that is one of the biggest obstacles for electric cars to overcome in this part of the country (along with the great distances between charging stations). Routine driving at sub-zero temps and the occasional morning commute at -30 or colder temps, really sap the charge out of the batteries (so I'm told). I have to think that overnight storage in those temps would shorten the overall battery life as well.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Follow me to SD. Ill beat you by a day lol. Seriously, that's the only reason electric is out for me.
This is what’s killed my attempts to get my wife on board. She keeps pointing out we can make it to Orlando with a single tank of gas in the Mercedes and it would take two stops of about 40 min each to make the trip in a Tesla.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Thanks that’s great info . She just wants something “fancy”. Doesn’t care about 4WD or towing . We live in Florida so no worries about snow . Our daughter is at school at UCF so not a lot of need for room and storage . She just wants something nice . She will drive it until the wheels fall off it so we don’t plan to trade up anytime soon . One of my best friends wives has an outback and loves it . We looked at a few but she wasn’t really feeling it . We’re actually going to look at an Audi Q5 tonight . $33,000 with 16Lk . If I can talk the guy down a little we might have a winner . Thanks for the info
Bought my wife a Q7 Prestige. It's a 2013 TDI, we bought it in 2017 for around $35k.
VW extended the drive train warranty on all their US diesel vehicles as part of their Dieselgate settlement.
These things are loaded down and very refined.
I liked hers so much that I bought the same thing in a 2015, Q7 TDI Prem +.
I haul my motor cycles or 4 Wheeler behind it with ease. Plenty of torque.
Problem is, for now at least, 2015 was the last year for Diesel VW Group vehicles.
Certainly they will bring them back, just don't know when.

Nice, I have a MIM Tele with Humbuckers and an Ovation Koa Elite acoustic

Believe it or not she’s an accountant , but she does high end commercial real estate . He boss owns high rises and offices all across the southeast . He’s a godzillionaire , I think he just turned 45 . She works hard so her slacker husband can play music and fish for a living !!! Haha .
Does she have a sister? If so, single or unhappily married(talking about sister)?

Audi, if you really want to enjoy driving it (I'm torn between Q5 & Q7). I have to give Honda a big thumbs up having owned CRV, Pilot & drove an accord alot.

Does she have a sister? If so, single or unhappily married(talking about sister)?

Haha unfortunately not . Funny thing is my wife was a friend in her office and she’s 33 , drop dead gorgeous, makes 200K an year and can’t keep a man for nothing . Problem is she goes for those young, cocky pretty boys , I told her she needs to find a good ole country boy with some dirt on his hands . I’ll send her your way !! Haha

Anything Elon is involved in I’m all about !! They are I unbelievable vehicles but most Tesla’s are out of our pay grade . I did see a Joe Rogan podcast and he said his new Tesla would smoke any muscle car or import he had in his garage. He the acceleration was downright scary

Anything Elon is involved in I’m all about !! They are I unbelievable vehicles but most Tesla’s are out of our pay grade . I did see a Joe Rogan podcast and he said his new Tesla would smoke any muscle car or import he had in his garage. He the acceleration was downright scary

2021 Standard Range Plus MSRP is $38,000. There is no real negotiation but definitely in your price range. Only problem you would have is you will wish you got one.

Plus factor in that your gas bill is disappearing. You can plug into a standard outlet and gain about 1/3 of your battery back per night. Won’t add but about $5-$10 to your power bill.

True @uscg1984 if I lived in an area that regularly got below freezing I might would have to consider another vehicle but that would be the only way.

2021 Standard Range Plus MSRP is $38,000. There is no real negotiation but definitely in your price range. Only problem you would have is you will wish you got one.

Plus factor in that your gas bill is disappearing. You can plug into a standard outlet and gain about 1/3 of your battery back per night. Won’t add but about $5-$10 to your power bill.

Wow you definitely got my interest sparked . I’ll check it out

Beware of the CRV's, they have a weak chassis and pillars. They don't hold up in bad wrecks. Well known for fatalities among troopers that work bad wreck scenes.

The Fiat Jeeps are gaining a reputation for diminishing quality, becoming more Italian every day.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT