ADVERTISEMENT

Solution to football playoff?

Sep 23, 2019
beyond the grave...
Eliminate conference championship games for the power 5.

Each power 5 conference division winner gets in (that's 10 teams).

Each conference winner of each Group of 5 conference gets in (that's 5 more teams).

Have 1 at-large for other team (Notre Dame or other "deserving" team).

That is 16 teams that use the regular season to earn their way in.

With this system, you take out the subjectivity of the playoff committee for choosing 15 of the 16 teams. The committee only "chooses" one team in the field (either ND or other team). Then there would need to be some system/setup to seed the teams correctly.

Makes great sense to me.

I don’t think that’s be a bad way of doing it…I think round 1 taking place of conference championship games helps.
I think # of games is a pretty big issue…this scenario would add 1 game more than the max # now (and that’s only for the 2 teams in the final obviously).
I don’t think the proposals that take a week out of the regular season are realistic. Smaller schools need those games against the bigger schools and smaller schools are the legs of the system- I think cutting out those games would have a deep impact on the game as a whole

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Holy smoke, I think one G5 team in the playoffs is too many. You want 5?? You really think 8-4 N. Illinois deserved a spot in the playoffs?
This is also a valid point….1/3 of the teams being non-P5 does feel like an awful lot.
Maybe your 16th spot should instead go to the top ranked non-P5 school…
You’d then need committee or something for the 5 other spots

Reactions: RattleCock
This is also a valid point….1/3 of the teams being non-P5 does feel like an awful lot.
Maybe your 16th spot should instead go to the top ranked non-P5 school…
You’d then need committee or something for the 5 other spots
I’m adamantly against playoff expansion, but even for those who want expansion, can we not agree that, at the very least, it should be limited to the top 25? Do we want 4-loss teams in there?

I’m adamantly against playoff expansion, but even for those who want expansion, can we not agree that, at the very least, it should be limited to the top 25? Do we want 4-loss teams in there?
I want something they is not subjective. Something that is decided on the field. Polls are subjective.

Now more than ever it’s harder to get an accurate measurement of conference vs conference. The bowls use to help but with opt outs now it’s impossible. The route to the national championship needs to be decided on the field free of human subjectivity like polls.

Each conference winner of each Group of 5 conference gets in (that's 5 more teams).

With this system, you take out the subjectivity of the playoff committee for choosing 15 of the 16 teams. The committee only "chooses" one team in the field (either ND or other team). Then there would need to be some system/setup to seed the teams correctly.

Makes great sense to me.
It's a "solution" for a "problem" that doesn't exist.

I want something they is not subjective. Something that is decided on the field. Polls are subjective.

Now more than ever it’s harder to get an accurate measurement of conference vs conference. The bowls use to help but with opt outs now it’s impossible. The route to the national championship needs to be decided on the field free of human subjectivity like polls.
Objectively or subjectively, do you think 4-loss N. Illinois deserved to be in the playoffs this year?

I'm ready to go back to the old system. Play the bowls, have a vote. More interesting/meaningful games that way.
Yep. Same here. That was part of the fun of the sport.

That said, I was opposed to the playoffs, but it’s undebatable that the best team has been crowned the champion every year of the playoffs.

Objectively or subjectively, do you think 4-loss N. Illinois deserved to be in the playoffs this year?
Because I do not think we can accurately compare conferences, yes if they win their conference. What the worst they will happen they will get blown out ok that won’t be any different.

Of course which is why I have always said the power 5 need to split from the group of 5.

When comparing the power 5 the answer to your question would be no. I don’t think you can say the SEC is unequivocally better than the big ten or acc. The SEC has 2 top contenders but the rest is on par with the other conferences

Of course which is why I have always said the power 5 need to split from the group of 5.
If they only made one change in college football, that would be the best decision they could make. Telling a team that won all they could that that will have to be good enough because we were never going to consider you anyway should end.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd be for zero conference championship affiliations/qualifications. Take the top 8, 12, whatever CFP ranked teams and put them in the bracket. Some conferences are going to be stronger and have multiple teams in the top 12 (for example). Don't limit it to having to put conference champs in just because they were the best in a sucky conference, thereby leaving out some stronger teams because they were slightly less strong than the Goliaths they shared a conference with. May not be a popular take, but that's my opinion.

Personally, I'd be for zero conference championship affiliations/qualifications. Take the top 8, 12, whatever CFP ranked teams and put them in the bracket. Some conferences are going to be stronger and have multiple teams in the top 12 (for example). Don't limit it to having to put conference champs in just because they were the best in a sucky conference, thereby leaving out some stronger teams because they were slightly less strong than the Goliaths they shared a conference with. May not be a popular take, but that's my opinion.
I'm not for expansion. I do agree with you on one point, however. Winning a conference championship should not, in and of itself, guarantee anybody anything.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
That poll is subjective so it fixes nothing.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

When comparing the power 5 the answer to your question would be no. I don’t think you can say the SEC is unequivocally better than the big ten or acc. The SEC has 2 top contenders but the rest is on par with the other conferences
Why is it the P5 that needs to split? If the G5 is so concerned with having a path, why can’t they be the ones to initiate the split? There has never been a G5 program that could be considered a legit title contender, but they expect the G5 to indulge their fantasies that they are on equal footing. If they don’t like the system, why is the P5s responsibility to change it to their liking? If they don’t like it, leave.

I'm ready to go back to the old system. Play the bowls, have a vote. More interesting/meaningful games that way.
Haha...this bullshirt is like a government program. It is here to stay, and will only get larger. The shortsighted, hollow idiots will see to that. They won't be happy until we have a five game regular season and 128 team playoff. It's like having a bunch of damn monkeys running your local ER. It will be interesting, but in a bad way. The locusts of the college football world are only doing what comes natural to them; rurn something good.

Why is it the P5 that needs to split? If the G5 is so concerned with having a path, why can’t they be the ones to initiate the split? There has never been a G5 program that could be considered a legit title contender, but they expect the G5 to indulge their fantasies that they are on equal footing. If they don’t like the system, why is the P5s responsibility to change it to their liking? If they don’t like it, leave.
We are saying the same thing . I don’t care who splits from whom.

Makes great sense to me.
Better yet, people acknowledge that Saban is great and stop ruining the sport because folks or tired of his greatness because they ain't gonna stop until he retires anyway.

One thing we need to be aware of and accept: in a 4 team playoff, we will probably never make it to a playoff.... maybe, maybe, once in a lifetime. But, that's it.

Abolish the Power5. More years than not some conferences dont look worthy of the label. Let's create the Power4 with 16 members each and 8 team divisions. Each division winner advances to an 8 team playoff. Each conference can have a championship game or not. No subjectivity. Every other team not in the Power4 can participate in whatever post season deal they can create or do.

I only mention this because it seems closer to where we are headed.

Abolish the Power5. More years than not some conferences dont look worthy of the label. Let's create the Power4 with 16 members each and 8 team divisions. Each division winner advances to an 8 team playoff. Each conference can have a championship game or not. No subjectivity. Every other team not in the Power4 can participate in whatever post season deal they can create or do.

I only mention this because it seems closer to where we are headed.
Fallacious. Every team in the CFP should be at-large. And there shouldn't be more than four of them. 12-game and 13-game schedules ought to be enough to cull the pretenders.

Makes great sense to me.
At this point, I’d rather just see 6 teams if it’s going to be expanded.

- Top 2 teams get a 1st round bye - their reward for being the best two teams in a 12 game regular season (or 13 games if in conference championship)

- There are usually only 2 or 3 teams each given year with a chance to win it all, due to talent level, coaching, etc. At least then we might have a good 1st round of CFP football and, hopefully, a good national championship game.

- 2nd round would probably be more of the same of what we are currently seeing.

Of course it doesn’t matter what I think, since revenue will be the biggest driver behind it all.

Last edited:
Remember when there was no playoff and no BCS? We survived. There were two poles which means that sometimes two teams were declared the best in the land. If we aren’t in it, why does it matter? The bowl games extent the season one game for most winning teams. Is it more a betting issue? More games to bet?

Remember when there was no playoff and no BCS? We survived. There were two poles which means that sometimes two teams were declared the best in the land. If we aren’t in it, why does it matter? The bowl games extent the season one game for most winning teams. Is it more a betting issue? More games to bet?
You can survive quite a while on bread and water, doesn't mean that is a good plan. Saying we survived is not much of an endorsement, instead more of a back handed admission that way sucked.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Fallacious. Every team in the CFP should be at-large. And there shouldn't be more than four of them. 12-game and 13-game schedules ought to be enough to cull the pretenders.
I find it fascinating the wide range of opinions on the subject. They go from all at-large to no at-large with supporters of both. One thing these threads have made pretty clear, there is no fix where everyone is happy, not even win and advance... which kinda surprised me.

Reactions: turncock
I find it fascinating the wide range of opinions on the subject. They go from all at-large to no at-large with supporters of both. One thing these threads have made pretty clear, there is no fix where everyone is happy, not even win and advance... which kinda surprised me.
I'm surprised at those who enjoy the current "rich-get-richer" 4-team echo chamber. Numbers never lie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT