ADVERTISEMENT

Some info for the ignorant

75CarolinaFan

Jan 7, 2009
Here's a list of the last 10 CWS champions and how they followed up the 3 years after winning the CWS. Aside from OSU winning back to back titles, the only program to make it back to the CWS within 3 years of winning it was South Carolina. In fact, the vast majority of the time in those 3 years after winning the CWS teams did not even make it out of a regional. Amazingly, not one of these schools was dumb enough to fire their coach after the "obvious steady decline in their programs". But then again I doubt any of these ADs waste their time getting the expert opinions of the abundantly ignorant posters on FGF. Go figure...
rolleyes.r191677.gif

2005 Texas (lost in regional, lost in regional, lost in regional)

2006 & 2007 Oregon State (didn't qualify for regional, lost in regional, lost in regional)

2008 Fresno State (lost in regionals, didn't qualify for regional, lost in regionals)

2009 LSU (lost in regional, didn't qualify for regional, lost in super regional)

2010 & 2011 South Carolina (Runner-up CWS, lost in super regional, lost in regional)

2012 Arizona (didn't qualify for regional, didn't qualify for regional and had losing record, ????)

2013 UCLA (didn't qualify for regional and had losing record, ????, ????)

2014 Vanderbilt (????, ????, ????)

Originally posted by sclawman77:

Guess we should have no expectations and celebrate decline.
You can be unrealistic if you like. Just giving you some facts to work with. I realize that is frowned upon here.

Based on your statistical analysis, Holbrook is completely unaccountable for our decline in the playoffs the last two years and the current struggles this year (consistent hitting/shaky bullpen). If Holbrook's team shows improvement in the playoffs within the next two seasons (Super/Omaha), he has my full support. If we are not improving, then he should be on the hot seat.
This post was edited on 3/25 4:53 PM by sclawman77

Originally posted by 75CarolinaFan:
Here's a list of the last 10 CWS champions and how they followed up the 3 years after winning the CWS. Aside from OSU winning back to back titles, the only program to make it back to the CWS within 3 years of winning it was South Carolina. In fact, the vast majority of the time in those 3 years after winning the CWS teams did not even make it out of a regional. Amazingly, not one of these schools was dumb enough to fire their coach after the "obvious steady decline in their programs". But then again I doubt any of these ADs waste their time getting the expert opinions of the abundantly ignorant posters on FGF. Go figure...
rolleyes.r191677.gif

2005 Texas (lost in regional, lost in regional, lost in regional)

2006 & 2007 Oregon State (didn't qualify for regional, lost in regional, lost in regional)

2008 Fresno State (lost in regionals, didn't qualify for regional, lost in regionals)

2009 LSU (lost in regional, didn't qualify for regional, lost in super regional)

2010 & 2011 South Carolina (Runner-up CWS, lost in super regional, lost in regional)

2012 Arizona (didn't qualify for regional, didn't qualify for regional and had losing record, ????)

2013 UCLA (didn't qualify for regional and had losing record, ????, ????)

2014 Vanderbilt (????, ????, ????)
Excellent observations 75!

I remember that you posted something similar about the Steve Spurrier years vs our entire football history back in Oct. or Nov.

All you have to do is look at USC's history with Tanner as coach. We go to the CWS in 02,03 and 04. Then we lose in a regional in 05. Lose in the supers in 06 and 07, then lose again in the regionals 08 and 09. Then another three year run where we got an lot of breaks to win two. Some people act like we have lost these games in the last week by 10 runs each. Instead we lost four games by an total of 5 runs. The only difference is a play here or there or a timely hit or an umpire calling a close pitch a ball or strike. College baseball is one of the most cyclical sports there is and with only 11.7 scholarships to spread among 27 players that means a lot of schools have really talented players. If you don't believe it show up early to a USC game and watch some of these teams take infield. You will see some very good players.

you know, you could have just posted the information without the snarky attitude and it would have been a really good post

as it is though, it kind of sucked.

75 ....you just blew the minds of most of these uninformed on how baseball is so unpredictable.

You should be ashamed of yourself

Originally posted by CaliCock:

you know, you could have just posted the information without the snarky attitude and it would have been a really good post

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing as I read through it. From my recollection it seems as if there was a class back in the late 80's that was titled "Presentation Writing 101" or something close to that. Just sayin'.

Hope all is well out in Cali my man.

Anna

There has been no real decline in our baseball program. I don't get that everyone thinks that there is. We didn't make it to Omaha....wow. There are 250 or more teams that also didn't make it. We are still a national power and will continue to be. This is not a dumpster fire, a program in decline, or a program that needs new direction. We will go on winning streaks and losing streaks and if we can beat the long shot (yes the CWS is a long shot for every team when only 8 can go ) then all should be happy. It won't happen in the every other year mode people think we were on.....but it will happen.

This post was edited on 3/25 6:44 PM by superflyby

You just don't get it do you? People trash our coaches, players, and AD yet they want to be spoken to with respect? LMAO! I really thought you were smarter than that, CaliCock.

There's a reason I posted this the way I did. It's in response to the geniuses that think our coach should be fired midseason and that our AD is a failure because he's unwilling to do so. The same people would have fired our pitching coach in the middle of 2010 which would have cost us our first national championship. Ray Tanner's track record of not listening to unreasonable, unrealistic fans speaks for itself.

You don't like my post because it proves you a hypocrite(think Golden Rule) on top of disproving the argument that our program is on a steady decline only ever seen by the Gamecocks, all in one succinct, swift kick in the ace.

Cali gets it 100%. Those sitting atop high horses can resemble the rear end of said horse quite easily.

Originally posted by G-C-Gamecock:
Cali gets it 100%. Those sitting atop high horses can resemble the rear end of said horse quite easily.
The people who trash players and coaches during every loss and want heads to roll are the arses. How much more of a high horse can you be on than to think someone should be fired because a player bobbles a ball or drops it? That's what FGF is these days. I'd love to follow these "high horse people" around at their jobs and call for their heads each time the made a bad move. Probably have lots of out of work posters.

Probably true coming from the perspective of a male donkey.

This post was edited on 3/25 8:09 PM by 75CarolinaFan

When you spend your life riding around on a sow pig, everyone appears to be on a high horse. Maybe you should change your ride and get a new perspective. Just saying...
This post was edited on 3/25 9:28 PM by searooster

Are you that confused or still talking about baseball?

Walk 4 runs in and everything's fine... Got it.
Originally posted by searooster:
When you spend your life riding around on a sow pig, everyone appears to be on a high horse. Maybe you should change your ride and get a new perspective. Just saying...
This post was edited on 3/25 9:28 PM by searooster

Come on Cali, what was snarky? He used the term ignorant...not retarded or stupid.

And he's right...whether it came across as snarky or not.

The problem with the IGNORANT posters on here is they can't accept the fact that on average the baseball team is going to lose 20 games a year. Ray Tanner averaged 19.75 losses a year as the South Carolina head coach, 11.8 of those were SEC. Only 6 of the 16 seasons he was the head coach did USC lose fewer than 20 games. However, if you read the things some of these posters put on here Tanner never lost an SEC series or midweek game. Tanner's last season we lost 20 games and 11 in the SEC. If you were smart enough to listen to Tanner speak he has said many times we got a lot of breaks to go our way during those championship seasons. He also said those breaks have a way of evening out in the long run. Holbrooks first two seasons we lost a total of 38 games. We were one win away in a super his first year and lost last year in a regional with a team ravaged by injuries. Tanner said himself he didn't think anyone else could have managed to get USC that far with every thing the team went through. Yet some of you geniuses on here do nothing but complain about the decline of the baseball program. No, the program is right were we have been every year on average, some years may be a little better than 20 losses and some a few over.

Thought he stated the facts very well.
Seems that the only way to be offended is if you are one of the posters he was refering to.

You are right Cali. Some people can't make a noteworthy argument without creating doubt in the minds of those they want to convince. I don't have to call you an idiot if you don't see things as I do.

KMart, if we end up in a Super regional or Omaha then I will gladly eat crow. My concerns have nothing to do with our overall record. Right now though we are very inconsistent at hitting, have a shaky bullpen and are not a good road team. I understand there is time to get those things corrected and hopefully we can get hot at the right time. On a positive note, the starting weekend rotation is very solid. If we make a tournament run, then I will gladly say I was wrong.

This post was edited on 3/26 3:51 AM by sclawman77

Originally posted by Kmart84:
Tanner said himself he didn't think anyone else could have managed to get USC that far with every thing the team went through.
So the reason we got smoked by Maryland in a home regional last year is because Schrock was hurt most of the year? Veterans Martin, Pankake, English and Greiner were healthy. I'd rather just admit that we got beat by a better team than use the injury excuse.

We did get beat by a better team and a team that was hot and playing with a lot of confidence. If Schrock had been the only one hurt, then maybe we don't lose. However, both corner outfielders were also hurt in Caldwell and Bright. The team went thru a stretch were Holbrook said he didn't know what players would be a available until about 30 minutes before game time. Losing 1/3 of your lineup is not making an excuse, just a fact of what happened last year and did play a part in losing to a team that was better at the time. Aaron Fitt even said in an interview last year he didn't think but maybe 1 or 2 teams in the country could have overcome the injuries USC had last year to get to the point of hosting a regional.

It's hard to be good and everyone is gunning for you... I love seeing the score board or when you walk in back to back National Champions... It sends chills up my "leg"...

But as a player coming in, they see that and their number one goal is to knock out the Champion at home...

Coastal Carolina waited 5 years to get us at their place to get revenge.. There was no quit in that team and they would not be denied of what could have been for them back in 2010...

This post was edited on 3/26 8:08 AM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

75carolina it was a noble effort. But the bilge pumpers are gonna be bilge pumpers. Ersatz coaches that they are their experience is to be good you must be perfect all the time. We are talking about a game that says you are a great hitter if you get a hit three times out of ten.

The bilge pumpers have made this a sad place to be. It seems to be encouraged by the mods. However, this thread at least provided me with my laugh for the day...calicock calling somebody snarky. And how does he do that? By making a snarky remark. FGS the man is a walking snarky remark and he calls someone snarky. Bwahahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh calicock. With all due irony intended you are a laugh riot cali.

We(Carolina Baseball Fans)have a right to be concerned. That being said, the numbers presented in this thread prove HOW BLESSED we were to have Tanner for so long. He was truly brilliant and we got to see it night in and night out. If Chad is his guy,I will put up with him....out of respect to Ray. He earned our patience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT