ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody please explain why Greenville is considered "neutral" game site?

ChairForceCock

Gold Member
Aug 17, 2001
8 out of 9 "neutral site" baseball games with Clemson have been played in Clemson's back yard since 2010. One was played at Joe Riley in Charleston. I don't even remember what happened in 2011 because we played one in Clemson and two in Greenville??? I thought the neutral site game was supposed to be moved around the state.

8 out of 9 "neutral site" baseball games with Clemson have been played in Clemson's back yard since 2010. One was played at Joe Riley in Charleston. I don't even remember what happened in 2011 because we played one in Clemson and two in Greenville??? I thought the neutral site game was supposed to be moved around the state.

because :) & besides we r the 1st line of defense against the orange horde.

Without even checking I'm pretty sure it's all about stadium capacity. I doubt there are any other baseball stadiums in SC north of a 2,000 capacity.

I do think it should be even between Charleston and Greenville. Someone is signing off on that but I don't know why.

2011 we played Friday in Columbia (recognized the builder of the trophy case pregame and Scotty Wingo gave his favorite 2010 memory mid-game being "Chillin' on 3rd, tossing my helmet, steppin' on home"), Sunday in Clemson (bat warming allegations were made), and Tuesday in Greenville ("Shenanigans" presser post game). The Saturday Greenville game was moved to Tuesday due to weather.

It has not been moved because Greenville has won the bids. Since we've only lost once in Greenville in this series (2013 - our only loss in the neutral site games btw), I don't think we have much to worry about.

Without even checking I'm pretty sure it's all about stadium capacity. I doubt there are any other baseball stadiums in SC north of a 2,000 capacity.

I do think it should be even between Charleston and Greenville. Someone is signing off on that but I don't know why.
The Joe seats 6K. And we filled up 3/4 of that with Garnet and Black when it was here in 2012. Greenville has just won the bids, and honestly, with the street party that they do the day of the game, their atmosphere was A LOT better than what was put on here in Charleston.

Pretty sure it was our own coaches who decided some time back they'd rather play there.

I was wondering more of why the game was not moved to Joe Riley, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, etc. I thought when they went to Joe Riley in 2012 that they stated the game would move around the state. I have heard people mention many times in the past that we fill the stands well for the game. I've never been to a game in Greenville, are tickets impossible to get for Saturday's game?

More so than home field advantage, it was more along the lines of wondering why the game was not moved to Joe Riley, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, etc. I thought when they went to Joe Riley in 2012 that they stated the game would move around the state. From the sounds of it, it is a contract thing. I've never been to a game in Greenville, are tickets impossible to get for Saturday's game?

did I tell u I was n the coast guard.... stationed n kansas city....I was asked, "how can you guard the coast from kansas city?"

I told her, "have u noticed any of the coasts missing?"

Reactions: lostcock
Pretty sure it was our own coaches who decided some time back they'd rather play there.
Correct...Ray didn't like the game in Charleston because we already played the Citadel there.

I think when they got it going, the idea was to move the neutral site game around the state, but apparently, the folks at Fluor have put on such a good show at a good price that it's made it more "challenging" for other communities to submit an appealing bid.

I wish the series wasn't played so early in the season, but Clemron begins ACC play the following weekend.

Like the SEC, the ACC has 10 scheduled conference weekend series. The difference is that they start conference play the weekend before the SEC does. Thus, each ACC school plays a non-conference series late in the season. Wish the SEC did this, and we and Clemron could play each other during a mutual "off" weekend. The same could hold for UGA & GA Tech, UF & FSU, UK & Lou.

Reactions: LazyIslander
Correct...Ray didn't like the game in Charleston because we already played the Citadel there.

Yet we play Furman, and now Upstate, at Fluor as well.

Must be something more to the "objection" than playing a different opponent on the same out of town diamond. Maybe because The Joe is The Citadel's actual home field?

Yet we play Furman, and now Upstate, at Fluor as well.

Must be something more to the "objection" than playing a different opponent on the same out of town diamond. Maybe because The Joe is The Citadel's actual home field?
follow the money.... gate receipts 4 home team & recruiting 4 us.

Reactions: scloufan#
follow the money.... gate receipts 4 home team & recruiting 4 us.

What does this have to do with not playing Clemron in Chas?

Makes sense to play Furman at Fluor and not at their on-campus stadium. Probably Upstate for the same reason. Will we play Coastal at their on-campus stadium, or at the Pelicans field?

We get this question every year. Simple answer is they do it up right. The stuff outside the stadium before the game is cool. And plus the play sandstorm and that zombienation song whenever either team does something good. Its not a pro clemson event.

From now on we should play 1 game at Carolina Stadium, and 2 games at Spirit Communications every year. That works

I don't normally go to baseball games so I looked at the FGF schedule and it doesn't have the venue. Ah well, on to the university web site.

I did try to go to a game in Charleston last year but no luck getting tickets from people outside the stadium. Do you think Greenville will be sold out and/or get tickets ahead of time?

Reactions: cocknjax
What does this have to do with not playing Clemron in Chas?

Makes sense to play Furman at Fluor and not at their on-campus stadium. Probably Upstate for the same reason. Will we play Coastal at their on-campus stadium, or at the Pelicans field?

monie$....as a rule, baseball doesn't make money....have 2 almost go2 cws to guarantee a profit..... plus the expenses are less for us in gvl than havin' to travel across the whole state.....hey I didn't put moou n the upstate & it would be fine w/ me if they relocated 2 'beaufort:).

Reactions: Tigerof66
It's much better than it was 40 years ago when I left Greenville.
This is the understatement of the year. Greenville's downtown is universally viewed as a model for downtown redevelopment, especially among towns its size. It didn't happen overnight, but over the past 25 years, Greenville has turned its downtown into one that routinely appears on top 10 lists of coolest downtowns in America.

For you out-of-towners going to the game, be sure to take the time before or after the game to make the walk up main street at least as far as Falls Park, if not all the way to the upper end of main street. Falls Park is a rare downtown treat and shouldn't be missed. You don't often see waterfalls in the middle of a downtown and Greenville has made the most of theirs.

For all of the old people out there, do the words Daniel Construction (before it was bought out by Fluor), and Harrison Electric ring any bells?

This is the understatement of the year. Greenville's downtown is universally viewed as a model for downtown redevelopment, especially among towns its size. It didn't happen overnight, but over the past 25 years, Greenville has turned its downtown into one that routinely appears on top 10 lists of coolest downtowns in America.

For you out-of-towners going to the game, be sure to take the time before or after the game to make the walk up main street at least as far as Falls Park, if not all the way to the upper end of main street. Falls Park is a rare downtown treat and shouldn't be missed. You don't often see waterfalls in the middle of a downtown and Greenville has made the most of theirs.

some might point to 35+ yrs ago when the hyatt built @ the north end, but w/out a doubt the redevelopment of the river + the park (10 yrs),brought a new life to Pendleton st.....as Freddie pointed out 40 yrs ago one stopped @ the river, unless u were lookin' 4 a fix or workin' girls.

Fluor Field, or Joe Jackson Park, as it was originally intended to be named, is an awesome yard. It has the identical dimensions as Fenway, complete with Pesky's Pole and a Green Monster. This yard is tailor made for this year's Gamecock team. Right handed power love it.

Reactions: foghorn leghorns
Right guys! Daniels fam, and to a lesser extent the Harrisons helped both colleges. My first encounter was when I was at the beginning of the construction of VC Summer plant in the mid to late 70's. The two gave summer jobs to a host of students and athletes from both schools. Rogers carried 50lb sandbags for me up and down 6 flights of stairs his freshman year. They wanted the rivalry to be played for all of the state. Both families gave millions to ensure that a rivalry game continue. God, I love history! The site was predisposed because of the location to make Greenville remain relevant when the textile industry began to fail and it would not be overcome by Cola's growth. Also, to give to each university so all things might remain equal. Plus, it was good for business. JMESAYIN

I don't know why people still ask this question...you could play the game at Walhalla High School and there would be more Gamecock fans there...

The ONLY place you would have more Clemson fans is in Doug Kingsmore Stadium on the Clemson's Campus....and that's because the students would be there...outside a 5 mile radius of campus, where you would need to drive, Carolina would outnumber Tiger fans...

I don't think Carolina fans/alumni in the midlands realize that the sheer number of kids from Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson that go to Carolina...I'm from Greer, my roommate at Carolina was from Westminster and his girlfriend was from Keowee Keys (both from Oconee County)....

Please stop with this, Greenville is Clemson Country....its just simply not so...

I think it's more Greenville ENVY.....the downtown is one of the best in America...yes better than even Asheville, Charleston or Columbia....sorry, it is what it is.....Go,Gamecocks....

If you have not been to the Greenville stadium, you should make the trip. There are usually as many Gamecock fans as Clemson. The venue is much better than Joe Riley. Greenville is also the largest market (MSA) in the state.

For all of the old people out there, do the words Daniel Construction (before it was bought out by Fluor), and Harrison Electric ring any bells?

Not sure what you mean but downtown Greenville had the right combination of people who wanted to see it be the way it is. That is what it takes. There is a long list of contributors who put the end result you see above their own desires. Fluor is only one of many.

Here is another infamous name from Greenvile's past, Tommy Wyche. Had karma not done its job, he should have been sitting in a cell with Ronny Homegold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT