ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody please explain why Greenville is considered "neutral" game site?

Best thing Greenville has going for it. Mmmmmmm.

ham-house.jpg

Reactions: NetworkX
Here is another infamous name from Greenvile's past, Tommy Wyche. Had karma not done its job, he should have been sitting in a cell with Ronny Homegold.

It is the American way. One of my favorite books of all time is "Nothing Like It In The World." The story of the building of the trans-continental railroad. I learned from that history that it takes all kinds of people to make great projects happen. They could not have have done without the entrepreneurs, the civil war vets, or the crooks. And especially the crooks like Doc Durant and his Credit Mobilier.

I don't know why people still ask this question...you could play the game at Walhalla High School and there would be more Gamecock fans there...

The ONLY place you would have more Clemson fans is in Doug Kingsmore Stadium on the Clemson's Campus....and that's because the students would be there...outside a 5 mile radius of campus, where you would need to drive, Carolina would outnumber Tiger fans...

I don't think Carolina fans/alumni in the midlands realize that the sheer number of kids from Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson that go to Carolina...I'm from Greer, my roommate at Carolina was from Westminster and his girlfriend was from Keowee Keys (both from Oconee County)....

Please stop with this, Greenville is Clemson Country....its just simply not so...

I think it's more Greenville ENVY.....the downtown is one of the best in America...yes better than even Asheville, Charleston or Columbia....sorry, it is what it is.....Go,Gamecocks....

Please tell the radio stations! I live in Pelzer in south Greenville county and Gamecock coverage could be a lot better if they understood that.

Reactions: RashCock
This is the understatement of the year. Greenville's downtown is universally viewed as a model for downtown redevelopment, especially among towns its size. It didn't happen overnight, but over the past 25 years, Greenville has turned its downtown into one that routinely appears on top 10 lists of coolest downtowns in America.

For you out-of-towners going to the game, be sure to take the time before or after the game to make the walk up main street at least as far as Falls Park, if not all the way to the upper end of main street. Falls Park is a rare downtown treat and shouldn't be missed. You don't often see waterfalls in the middle of a downtown and Greenville has made the most of theirs.

I grew up in Greenville SC and remember "cruising main" in the seventies and remembering we would turn around before the west end area. Before I left Greenville in 1984 I would not have walked down the west end area flanked by marines with A-K 47's. I drove down main street Greenville two weeks ago looking with astonishment at the transformation from the old Daniel Building to beyond fluor field.

The transformation is stunning. I watched this happen through the years to where it is today. I live in Matthews, Charlotte and visit family often in Greenville. I have walked with my two year old grandson down in the west end area around the ball park and felt completely safe. Walked him over to the Joe Jackson memorial. I grew up playing baseball on the Brandon baseball field where "Shoeless" grew up playing and for whom this area is named.

The eating places, numerous condominiums, family friendly entertainment, and physical transformation makes this man "proud" of his hometown.

I have attended three of the games in this series and each time USC had more fans and were much more vocal. It is a great venue, if you can make it to the game you will not be disappointed in the celebration Greenville puts on and in the venue. The only thing one could be disappointed in would be the score, but not this year. :)

Tommy's is just a simple, Southern diner. Nothing fancy, but I love it.

I don't live in Greenville, so I'm sure other people can give you all the fancy, Zagat-rated choices. The two places my family eat at most when I visit are Brick St. Cafe for lunch and Smoke on the Water for dinner. I have also had great Vietnamese at Mekong where they grow their own veggies and herbs our back, and I had some wonderful seafood paella at The Lazy Goat. There are a few lesser mentioned options in Greenville.

Addy's Dutch Cafe on Coffee has the best filet in town, and a great assortment of beer. If you want to just have a few beers, go to The Community Tap and get a Green Man (brewed in Asheville) or one of the Thomas Creek local beers. It's a good local brewery.

I meant to mention Addy's in my last post. I love that place. Great, relaxing ambience. I had some bangin' Swedish meatballs last time I was there.

8 out of 9 "neutral site" baseball games with Clemson have been played in Clemson's back yard since 2010. One was played at Joe Riley in Charleston. I don't even remember what happened in 2011 because we played one in Clemson and two in Greenville??? I thought the neutral site game was supposed to be moved around the state.
We have attended this game several times and there are as many or more Gamecock fans as Clempson fans at this game! :)

Reactions: GamecockTripp
8 out of 9 "neutral site" baseball games with Clemson have been played in Clemson's back yard since 2010. One was played at Joe Riley in Charleston. I don't even remember what happened in 2011 because we played one in Clemson and two in Greenville??? I thought the neutral site game was supposed to be moved around the state.

Greenville's not Clemson. Nor is it Columbia.

I would prefer playing two weekend home series a year instead of playing someone like Albany or Penn State.

Reactions: USCBIRDS
Greenville's not Clemson. Nor is it Columbia.
Thankfully, you're posting over here again now. The only reason I hung as long as I did on TOS was because of you. But, I could only take so much. I'm really looking forward to reading your opinion on our program. Welcome back!

I don't have an issue with Fluor Field. Good size minor league park in a nice location. What do you consider a fair neutral site that is even distance between both schools-Presbyterian College or Newberry College fields? Come on.

Both teams can drive in, play ball and drive home all on the same day. That can't be said for Charleston.
With Greenville, we usually spend the night either before or after, depending on if we play in Clemson on Friday or Sunday.
With Charleston, Clemson had to spend the night the night after before driving up to Columbia (which they were late for, btw). I don't think they ever have to worry about spending the night with the game in Greenville.

^
Yep, easy trip to Greenville from Columbia (I-26 to 385) and as previously mentioned-there are tons of Carolina fans in Greenville. It ain't a Clemson town. Anderson maybe but not Greenville.

Last edited:
Best thing Greenville has going for it. Mmmmmmm.

ham-house.jpg

The wife and I went there for lunch today (open until 2 PM). Great food and fast service. Faster if you want to select food from the buffet line. I could be wrong since we got our food via the server but it looks like they charge for every item you get in the buffet line instead of a one price/all you can eat buffet. We both got breakfast. A lot of older people and business men. Its out of the way for me but good solid food at a good price.

Not sure what you mean but downtown Greenville had the right combination of people who wanted to see it be the way it is. That is what it takes. There is a long list of contributors who put the end result you see above their own desires. Fluor is only one of many.
The primary one to thank for what Greenville has become is it's former mayor, Max Heller, who envisioned it and pushed for the redevelopment.

Reactions: Patagonia
The primary one to thank for what Greenville has become is it's former mayor, Max Heller, who envisioned it and pushed for the redevelopment.

Not really. The Mayor who made it happen is Knox White, the current Mayor. Heller was gone way before the real improvements started. He did start the tree planting. Max was a very good Mayor. Greenville has been lucky to have good men.

Not really. The Mayor who made it happen is Knox White, the current Mayor. Heller was gone way before the real improvements started. He did start the tree planting. Max was a very good Mayor. Greenville has been lucky to have good men.
Read. Knox White was the beneficiary of what Heller started.

http://library.furman.edu/specialcollections/southcarolina/heller_biography.htm

:Under Heller's mayoral leadership, the revitalization of downtown became a priority. The site of the Greenville Woman's College was renamed Heritage Green and there the Hughes Main Library for Greenville County, the Charles E. Daniel Theatre, and the Greenville County Museum of Art were built. Main Street was converted from a four-lane thoroughfare to a two-lane street lined with trees and wide sidewalks. In 1978, the city of Greenville received a federal Urban Development Action Grant, which resulted in the construction of the Hyatt Regency and convention center on North Main Street. The convention center was named for Max Heller, and the Hyatt became an anchor around which downtown commerce flourished."

wdw1952....You have it right. Since the asshats in this forum don't think it's FAIR to have the neutral site game rotated, so other gamecock and taters can see their team play, we might as well play two home and home weekends (6 games). Albany and Penn State are a waste of time.

Greenville certainly isn't a home field advantage for Clemson.

I would love to see 5 games between us.... a home and home + 3 neutral sites ... Greenville, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston. They Don't necessarily have to be back to back games. The neutral sites could be midweek games spread out over the season. The problem with mid-week games is pitching rotation. Both teams would need their aces on the 3 game weekend series especially once conference play starts. At least with the 3 game format as it is now, we each get to throw our aces against one another, and it's a good (non-conference) tune up as we get ready for conference play.

wdw1952....You have it right. Since the asshats in this forum don't think it's FAIR to have the neutral site game rotated, so other gamecock and taters can see their team play, we might as well play two home and home weekends (6 games). Albany and Penn State are a waste of time.

I don't think anybody is saying it isn't fair to rotate the neutral-site game. If you would suggest a locale that can do as good a job as Fluor of putting on the game, I would imagine that USC & Clemron would be interested. I'd love to see The Asylum, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, North Augusta, Ft. Mill, etc. submit attractive bids and host the game. Alas, it's too early for North Augusta, and too late for Ft. Mill. I think we can all agree that we don't want the game held in either Charlotte or Augusta (although the Taters moved their series vs Maine last year to Augusta due to snow).

Instead of playing Clemron in two weekend series, I'd rather see us play another "name" program such as Ga Tech, NCSU, F$U, Texas, UCLA, etc. instead of Albany or Chas Southern.

Also, if we're on the road over spring break heading to or coming back from an SEC series, how about a midweek road game vs Louisville, or UAB, or Tulane, or Southern Miss, or Ga Tech, or Stetson, etc. for a change of pace (these schools are usually traveling near Columbia for conference matchups and I would think it would not be difficult for them to schedule a return game in Columbia in the same or adjacent years). Would like to see some fresh faces on the schedule instead of just the same old instate rivals almost exclusively. Perhaps doing this stretches the team's travel budget a bit thin.:(

Reactions: GamecockTripp
Atl-Cock.....Who cares about the sideshow at Flour Field. I don't care what they "put on". I'm there to see a baseball game.

Reminds me of an old memory. When we were playing Ohio State, the 2nd time in Tampa (Outback Bowl...2002). I remember a Buckeye fan turning to me and saying "yall's band sucks". We were up 28-0 at the time. I snapped back..."Is this a band competition or a football game".

The wife and I went there for lunch today (open until 2 PM). Great food and fast service. Faster if you want to select food from the buffet line. I could be wrong since we got our food via the server but it looks like they charge for every item you get in the buffet line instead of a one price/all you can eat buffet. We both got breakfast. A lot of older people and business men. Its out of the way for me but good solid food at a good price.

Glad you enjoyed it. I like the vibe there and the country ham and eggs.

We also have Max Heller to thank for Michelin and BMW.
bull$hit.....you have the former Betty Holcombe now Betty Westmoreland, former President of the Greer Chamber of Commerce to thank for BMW...she made all those trips to Bavaria and helped with the land purchase out off I 85....The Greenville mayor had zero to do with BMW....

Please explain how Max Heller had anything to do with BMW landing in Spartanburg County?

I grew up in Greenville SC and remember "cruising main" in the seventies and remembering we would turn around before the west end area. Before I left Greenville in 1984 I would not have walked down the west end area flanked by marines with A-K 47's. I drove down main street Greenville two weeks ago looking with astonishment at the transformation from the old Daniel Building to beyond fluor field.

The transformation is stunning. I watched this happen through the years to where it is today. I live in Matthews, Charlotte and visit family often in Greenville. I have walked with my two year old grandson down in the west end area around the ball park and felt completely safe. Walked him over to the Joe Jackson memorial. I grew up playing baseball on the Brandon baseball field where "Shoeless" grew up playing and for whom this area is named.

The eating places, numerous condominiums, family friendly entertainment, and physical transformation makes this man "proud" of his hometown.

I have attended three of the games in this series and each time USC had more fans and were much more vocal. It is a great venue, if you can make it to the game you will not be disappointed in the celebration Greenville puts on and in the venue. The only thing one could be disappointed in would be the score, but not this year. :)

My friends and I dragged Main many times in the '60s.

bull$hit.....you have the former Betty Holcombe now Betty Westmoreland, former President of the Greer Chamber of Commerce to thank for BMW...she made all those trips to Bavaria and helped with the land purchase out off I 85....The Greenville mayor had zero to do with BMW....

Please explain how Max Heller had anything to do with BMW landing in Spartanburg County?
LMAO

one game should be on the coast. No reason to have 2 games in the upstate.

That game in charleston was the best one of the series.

If you have not been to the Greenville stadium, you should make the trip. There are usually as many Gamecock fans as Clemson. The venue is much better than Joe Riley. Greenville is also the largest market (MSA) in the state.
That is funny. The MSA area includes clemson. So you have 2 games in that area.

No reason to have 2 games in the upstate. Move that game from clemson to greenville. That place is a dump.

This is the understatement of the year. Greenville's downtown is universally viewed as a model for downtown redevelopment, especially among towns its size. It didn't happen overnight, but over the past 25 years, Greenville has turned its downtown into one that routinely appears on top 10 lists of coolest downtowns in America.

For you out-of-towners going to the game, be sure to take the time before or after the game to make the walk up main street at least as far as Falls Park, if not all the way to the upper end of main street. Falls Park is a rare downtown treat and shouldn't be missed. You don't often see waterfalls in the middle of a downtown and Greenville has made the most of theirs.
LOL greenville downtown is a DUMP compared to charleston. Its not even debatable.

Like i said move the game from clemson to greenville and put a game on the coast. Problem solve.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT