ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo, this is a bit awkward (re:Deion and Shilo and baseball):

I'm still trying to get my head around exactly what's happening with that, but I'm guessing Deion is miffed at GoGamecocks for their wording and maybe miffed at Kingston for not allowing Shilo more of a shot? Some interesting dynamics at play in all of that, no? Lol!

Reactions: bucketdad
30 swings is more than most walk-ons get in their tryouts, so...

Like it or not, it is much more difficult to be a 2-sport athlete today (in the big 3 sports) than it was 30 years ago, mainly because of the time commitment involved to actually make a difference in the sports in which you play. If you want to be an SEC Baseball Player in today's age, you have to commit to it year round, if you want meaningful PT. That is why you don't see as many of them today, and why most 2 sport athletes are usually football and track/field.

Quite honestly, after the last few absolute bombs we've had with so called premier 2 sport athletes, this is probably for the best. Just because you played 2 sports in high school doesn't mean you can in the SEC. I don't care who your father is.

Last edited:
Would love to see the footage and maybe get an idea of what we are looking for now that we are supposed to moving in a different direction offensively. Hard to believe no defense or time trials tho. You would think that is where a kid would make a decision like that, not after a few cuts.

Maybe Kingston decided he couldn’t cut it and the State was just being gracious to word it as they did and sayShilo decided not to pursue it instead of saying he was cut.

Shiloh would be a freebie. No scholarship needed. Couldn’t he be on the roster until SEC play? What if he could play the field like JB? Considering the genes, I would think he would get a close look.

Reactions: okccock
Other reports say he has worked out 5 days with the team, if so then maybe social media is getting it wrong?. If Kinston has evaluated different aspects of his game for 5 days, then this has been mis reported some and should be corrected.

He would be a heck of a pinch runner, I know we cant carry a person just for that, but Im just saying :)

Reactions: Brace1
Shiloh would be a freebie. No scholarship needed. Couldn’t he be on the roster until SEC play? What if he could play the field like JB? Considering the genes, I would think he would get a close look.
Shilo is no Jackie Bradley Jr... Not even in the hemisphere.. No you don't give him a roster spot until March .. You just don't play with your teams Dynamics like that.. The players that have been there through summer workouts and Fall ball deserve the roster spot if available. Not someone who Kingston thinks can't help the team right now.

Reactions: Brace1 and ClemDent
Other reports say he has worked out 5 days with the team, if so then maybe social media is getting it wrong?. If Kinston has evaluated different aspects of his game for 5 days, then this has been mis reported some and should be corrected.

He would be a heck of a pinch runner, I know we cant carry a person just for that, but Im just saying :)
There are plenty of players on the roster that are just as fast or faster than Shilo. Shilo is not an SEC caliber baseball player.. He's a good player but SEC baseball is the best of the best players in the country.. I don't think a lot of people understand just how special you have to be to play and have success on this level..

There are plenty of players on the roster that are just as fast or faster than Shilo. Shilo is not an SEC caliber baseball player.. He's a good player but SEC baseball is the best of the best players in the country.. I don't think a lot of people understand just how special you have to be to play and have success on this level..

Who is faster?, plenty faster then a SEC Corner Back?, we must have a lot of team speed? and how do you know? Can they play football? I agree about the SEC baseball stuff, by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Snow

Not commenting on Shiloh's ability, but I'm not sure our team itself was exactly SEC caliber last year.

I think even Deion would find it difficult to excel at both today.

Unfortunately, the fact that in today's age it is so difficult to excel at baseball, not to mention 2 sports, at the Division 1 level is helping fuel this belief that kids need to play one sport year round, especially where baseball is concerned. Think about it. When was the last time we had a true 2 sport star in the SEC? Todd Helton maybe? And we were in school at the same time.

*Oops...Sheldon Brown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gradstudent
Unfortunately, the fact that in today's age it is so difficult to excel at baseball, not to mention 2 sports, at the Division 1 level is helping fuel this belief that kids need to play one sport year round, especially where baseball is concerned. Think about it. When was the last time we had a true 2 sport star in the SEC? Todd Helton maybe? And we were in school at the same time.

Speaking of trying to play 2 sports, a guy you have been right on and I have been wrong on as I thought he would be better at baseball, Brandon McIlwain is back from a season ending injury in 2019, and hopes that focusing only on baseball will help him have a special 2020 at Cal.

He actually played at the Florence Red Wolves, this summer, I had no idea until I was researching what he was up to.

I will be interested to see how he does, if he does well I will let you know

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

*Oops...Sheldon Brown.
I played against Todd, he was probably the best pure hitter that I have had the pleasure of knowing. He turned out to be a much better baseball prospect than football.. He struggled at time on the Football field.. I'll say this.. I had some great times with him and Chris Freeman, and Bubba Trammell.. I don't know if you remember Chris or not, he's the pitcher that got hit in the face at Sarge Frye.

I played against Todd, he was probably the best pure hitter that I have had the pleasure of knowing. He turned out to be a much better baseball prospect than football.. He struggled at time on the Football field.. I'll say this.. I had some great times with him and Chris Freeman, and Bubba Trammell.. I don't know if you remember Chris or not, he's the pitcher that got hit in the face at Sarge Frye.
I remember him getting hit as I was on the field that game, but don't know him personally.

For the people saying our team is so fast, I hope your right in 2020, in 2019 we didn't seem to be that way by stolen bases.

In 2019, we were 12th out of 14 teams in the league in stolen bases

For the people saying our team is so fast, I hope your right in 2020, in 2019 we didn't seem to be that way by stolen bases.

In 2019, we were 12th out of 14 teams in the league in stolen bases
There is more to steeling bases than just being fast.. it helps but being fast don't make you a good base Steeler.

Reactions: bucketdad
I just want to know how in the hell so many of you know how good or bad Shiloh is? Have yall been like watching him play for years or something ?
I said he was a good player but most SEC caliber players out of High School would be in the top 10 to 20 players in there state. Most SEC players would be on somebody's draft board out of high school or at least be talked about in that light... He's a football player who played baseball not the other way around. Nothing wrong with that but if he wanted to be a baseball player who plays football he would be better off at a smaller school. There is just so many more talented BASEBALL players at this level than what he offers right now....jmo.. Don't y'all think if he was a stud prospect and was better than our players we have now that Kingston wouldn't have him on the roster... Let the man evaluate his roster and do what's best for his team.. Kingston isn't here to make Deion and Muschamp happy, he's here to win baseball games for us. Deion don't sign his paycheck

Reactions: ecrumpton
Kingston isn't here to make Deion and Muschamp happy, he's here to win baseball games for us. Deion don't sign his paycheck

Mayhap not, but I can sure as hail see why Deon is sticking by his son!!

If Kingston is as good a Head Coach as he's been portrayed, then I sure as heck hope he's already personally called Deon and addressed this in the very best and mutually beneficial means as are possible!!

Reactions: okccock
There is more to steeling bases than just being fast.. it helps but being fast don't make you a good base Steeler.

All true, I think Shiloh is probably faster then anyone on the team, it's just an opinion of mine, and Deion seemed pretty involved in his kids athletic upbringing doing a lot of coaching etc, soI would assume he taught him how to steal a base, and learning form a person that stole 56 bases in a season at the MLB level would probably help.

I actually think speed and base stealing would be Shiloh's strengths, and Shiloh has been quoted as saying such. Now all the other aspects could be lacking of being at the SEC level, of the young man's game, fielding, hitting, throwing, and maybe that is why Kingston mad his decision which his right.

I think its incorrect to attack the young mans speed aspect, is my point to you, but its my conjecture vs yours, unless you were at try outs. I wasn't.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Mayhap not, but I can sure as hail see why Deon is sticking by his son!!

If Kingston is as good a Head Coach as he's been portrayed, then I sure as heck hope he's already personally called Deon and addressed this in the very best and mutually beneficial means as are possible!!
I can almost assure you that Shilo would rather his dad stay out of it and shut up.

I remember him getting hit as I was on the field that game, but don't know him personally.

OK, I gotta ask: was the pitcher (i.e. Chris) badly hurt, did make it through it ok??

And forgive me for my ignorance, but when did that happen?? What season/year??

Just askin'!

I can almost assure you that Shilo would rather his dad stay out of it and shut up.
Maybe so, and I can certainly understand that as well!! My only point in regards to Deion is that, as a father of two sons that both played baseball all thru high school, and really just as a father, I can totally 100% understand Deion's perspective and concern, and totally stand with him in regards to such!!!

OK, I gotta ask: was the pitcher (i.e. Chris) badly hurt, did make it through it ok??

And forgive me for my ignorance, but when did that happen?? What season/year??

Just askin'!
It busted up his face pretty badly, knocked some teeth out, but he still made the play at first base.

Reactions: Gaimcock
All true, I think Shiloh is probably faster then anyone on the team, it's just an opinion of mine, and Deion seemed pretty involved in his kids athletic upbringing doing a lot of coaching etc, soI would assume he taught him how to steal a base, and learning form a person that stole 56 bases in a season at the MLB level would probably help.

I actually think speed and base stealing would be Shiloh's strengths, and Shiloh has been quoted as saying such. Now all the other aspects could be lacking of being at the SEC level, of the young man's game, fielding, hitting, throwing, and maybe that is why Kingston mad his decision which his right.

I think its incorrect to attack the young mans speed aspect, is my point to you, but its my conjecture vs yours, unless you were at try outs. I wasn't.
I promise you I'm not attacking him at all.. but a lot of baseball players can run too.. just like football players.

Who is faster?, plenty faster then a SEC Corner Back?, we must have a lot of team speed? and how do you know? Can they play football? I agree about the SEC baseball stuff, by the way.
There are plenty of SEC baseball players that run 4.5...4.6 40s.

OK
Crazy question here, how much football time did he see this year? did he earn his letter or break his red shirt ?

I want him to shine, but giving false hope helps no one

OK
Crazy question here, how much football time did he see this year? did he earn his letter or break his red shirt ?

I want him to shine, but giving false hope helps no one
I think i saw somewhere appeared in three games, RS still intact

*Oops...Sheldon Brown.
Marcus McBeth

Reactions: Expro19
Shilo is here on a FB schollie so he should be concentrating on cracking the lineup at DB. And his dad, of all people, should not be one of those dads. You know the kind that complains on social media because his kid didn't get everything he wanted. Bo and Deion were exceptional athletes in a different era.

It occurred to me when Shilo signed here his dad could be as much a problem as a blessing.

Shilo is here on a FB schollie so he should be concentrating on cracking the lineup at DB. And his dad, of all people, should not be one of those dads. You know the kind that complains on social media because his kid didn't get everything he wanted. Bo and Deion were exceptional athletes in a different era.

It occurred to me when Shilo signed here his dad could be as much a problem as a blessing.
I'm starting to agree....

You are right Deion has the platform to hurt us just as much as he can help.. Hopefully, Shilo takes the next step to earn more playing time. If he doesn't, I don't think we have heard the last from Deion.. I'm definitely rooting for him to do well.

Reactions: TheReelEss
That is so true. The best base runners I have seen weren't always the fastest. Speed doesn't matter as long as they aren't "slow". My experience says the best base runners know the game better than most and are aggressive without being stupid about it. And they have a lot of "want" in them.
This is one of those things where it pays to teach kids why and when you do things and not just how. Knowledge makes a player better and base running is a prime example

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT