ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier interview on 107.5

I hate the way he went out but those years were the highlight of our program. I’m surprised we haven’t seen any five bombs from the Tater fans. Our fans were relentless during the streak. I loved rubbing it in their faces so I dreaded Christmas this year. Shockingly, my Clemson cousins didn’t even mention the game. Hopefully they missed their chance and we break the streak this year.

Thank you HBC. You are a legend.

He sure could call em. I remember hearing a fan say after that 27-24 overtime comeback victory over Mizzou, that when the HBC got hot calling plays, it was like watching a conductor orchestrate a symphony. Lol

Even after the Mike Davis fumbles Coach went back to him with screen passes to Davis underneath. It was a thing of beauty the way they fought back

Still defending Jr a the recruiting coordinator.

I know he ain't gonna call out his son, but still...

I'd ask Champ if the recruiting coordinator is nothing more than a secretary.

Still defending Jr a the recruiting coordinator.

I know he ain't gonna call out his son, but still...

I'd ask Champ if the recruiting coordinator is nothing more than a secretary.
I heard that - thought it was an interesting take.

The most fun I've ever had watching Carolina football was those years. Hopefully it can be topped one day but it'll be hard for anyone to unseat Steve Spurrier as my favorite Carolina football coach

He was great during the sober years. One of the best in the game. Always found the right play in the right situation to keep Momentum and win.

Muschamp can turn page on that era with a win against bama in week 3

Yeah, he should have put down the Coors Light and popped some ostarine pills instead. Heck, who needs ostarine pills, it's supposedly in everything, hair gel, soda pop, acne cream. I think there was some ostarine in the Doritos I ate last night. ;)

He was great during the sober years. One of the best in the game. Always found the right play in the right situation to keep Momentum and win.

Muschamp can turn page on that era with a win against bama in week 3
Oh no. Your troll didn't work and I realized you're a tater!

Muschamp would need to win the division, win some bowl games and dominate Clemson several years running before any "page turning" could begin

I hate the way he went out but those years were the highlight of our program. I’m surprised we haven’t seen any five bombs from the Tater fans. Our fans were relentless during the streak. I loved rubbing it in their faces so I dreaded Christmas this year. Shockingly, my Clemson cousins didn’t even mention the game. Hopefully they missed their chance and we break the streak this year.

When you win two national titles I think they’re less worried about 5 wins over their rival.

Clemson doesn't take us seriously anymore. We have become to them what we were to UT and UF in the 90s.

Heath brought up that we're still the last east team to beat Bama. There were some good times. I think folks tend to remember the bad.

It's not just selectively remembering the bad, though. It was an absolute dumpster fire at the end. Not like we just slipped a bit.

Reactions: rogue cock
Heath brought up that we're still the last east team to beat Bama. There were some good times. I think folks tend to remember the bad.
Agreed.

While Heath was busy, as is his usual MO, degrading anyone with an opinion differing from his own ("I just don't get you people", "Okay, if thaaaaat's what you wanna go with", "If that floats your boat, then go for it", etc, etc, adnauseam), I contend that people can actually remember the SOS years for both the good and the bad. You don't HAVE to only remember that period in one way or the other.

In 2016, 2017, I was really ticked at SOS because of how he left our program. Mind you, I didn't lose sleep over it - wasn't that critical in my life - but I had a very low opinion of him, overshadowing the good he'd done. With time, I've mellowed on it (again, not a real important thing in life ). I can certainly appreciate the good things he did for USC. All of those firsts! 3 11-win seasons. Big bowl wins over Michigan, Neb, Wis. SECE title. The ridiculous home winning streak. The 5-peat. On and on. Those were great years. A great time to be a Gamecock.

At the same time, I can look back with - I'd say at this point, frustration. Frustration with what could have been. Had he not gotten lazy or complacent. Had he not made some hires or refused to make some fires. We were poised for even better things to come, but it was all snuffed out. C'est la vie!

It has been good to hear SOS admit that he messed it up at the end. He's said it; He's owned it. I respect him for that. Now he should let it go. He obviously sees both sides of his overall tenure here as HBC, there's no reason we fans can't too.

SOS will go down as the best football coach we ever had (by far) and also the one that left us in the worst position. JR never should've been front and center on recruiting and Steve himself got lazy in recruiting. It never ends well with a coach on his last run but it was worth the best five year stretch in school history.

Agreed.

While Heath was busy, as is his usual MO, degrading anyone with an opinion differing from his own ("I just don't get you people", "Okay, if thaaaaat's what you wanna go with", "If that floats your boat, then go for it", etc, etc, adnauseam), I contend that people can actually remember the SOS years for both the good and the bad. You don't HAVE to only remember that period in one way or the other.

In 2016, 2017, I was really ticked at SOS because of how he left our program. Mind you, I didn't lose sleep over it - wasn't that critical in my life - but I had a very low opinion of him, overshadowing the good he'd done. With time, I've mellowed on it (again, not a real important thing in life ). I can certainly appreciate the good things he did for USC. All of those firsts! 3 11-win seasons. Big bowl wins over Michigan, Neb, Wis. SECE title. The ridiculous home winning streak. The 5-peat. On and on. Those were great years. A great time to be a Gamecock.

At the same time, I can look back with - I'd say at this point, frustration. Frustration with what could have been. Had he not gotten lazy or complacent. Had he not made some hires or refused to make some fires. We were poised for even better things to come, but it was all snuffed out. C'est la vie!

It has been good to hear SOS admit that he messed it up at the end. He's said it; He's owned it. I respect him for that. Now he should let it go. He obviously sees both sides of his overall tenure here as HBC, there's no reason we fans can't too.
Well said.

Everybody knew he would leave at some point. I never expected him to stay as long as he did. He had in the back of his mind, as Lou did at one time, that he could leave his boy in charge of a healthy program. But successful HC's don't leave when the program is healthy and we didn't hire either son as HCIW.

I wasn't to upset on Spurrier leaving because he was talked into staying after the 2013 season.

As much as it taints his tenure, it's actually good that Spurrier hung around til the bitter end. The seeds for failure had been sown long before he walked away mid-season. Any new coach coming in would have been shell-shocked at how decimated we were. He would have had a ROUGH first year, for sure. If Spurrier had left when things still appeared peachy on the surface, the new coach would have shouldered ALL of the blame for the decline, even though it would not have been his fault. He would have been fired by now.

Sounds like exactly whats going on at FSU. Whether or not Taggart is the right man remains to be seen but it appears he was left a mess.
If Spurrier had left when things still appeared peachy on the surface, the new coach would have shouldered ALL of the blame for the decline, even though it would not have been his fault. He would have been fired by now.

That game he called in Auburn was the best I’ve ever seen. Although we lost he almost pulled it off as an 18 point dog. Unreal

Funny you mention that. With the symphony analogy above this was ironically the game I remember most. Didn’t think others would agree because we lost but that night they had NFL talent on defense and no answer for us. Even though we lost that may have been the best called game under Spurrier. Seemed like everything was open.

Clemson doesn't take us seriously anymore. We have become to them what we were to UT and UF in the 90s.
Well Clemson better. Just because we were left high and dry with the Spurrier cop out doesn't mean we can't compete with the cheats in Pickens. I fully expect we will win at WB this year.

I've always thought his main motivation for leaving was that he didn't want to be at **UofSC** longer than he was at UF. If there's one thing the man loves more than winning games, it's protecting his legacy. What could have been...

Well Clemson better. Just because we were left high and dry with the Spurrier cop out doesn't mean we can't compete with the cheats in Pickens. I fully expect we will win at WB this year.

We played way over our heads against them last year...and lost by 3 TDs.

That game he called in Auburn was the best I’ve ever seen. Although we lost he almost pulled it off as an 18 point dog. Unreal
Funny you mention that. With the symphony analogy above this was ironically the game I remember most. Didn’t think others would agree because we lost but that night they had NFL talent on defense and no answer for us. Even though we lost that may have been the best called game under Spurrier. Seemed like everything was open.

That game immediately came to mind, but I could be 100% sure who it was against (getting old sucks! lol). What I remember most though was our offense that night was a doggone sewing machine! Humming along steadily, not missing a beat. Both teams were up and down the field - them, unfortunately just a bit more than us. But yes, that had to be the best-called game he had here!

Well the last few years Clemson's had bigger fish to fry after our game. Back when we beat them that was the cap of our season for the most part.

We played way over our heads against them last year...and lost by 3 TDs.
The last scored with less than one minute remaining and their first team still in. We then were headed for another score when the clock ran out. And playing with guys on defense that I didn't even know were on the roster is not playing above our heads my friend. Sorry you can't see that. Or maybe you can and are just tying to downplay.

The last scored with less than one minute remaining and their first team still in. We then were headed for another score when the clock ran out. And playing with guys on defense that I didn't even know were on the roster is not playing above our heads my friend. Sorry you can't see that. Or maybe you can and are just tying to downplay.

So you don't want to give them credit for a late TD but do want to give us credit for a TD we didn't score?

Much of what he posts is pro-tater. Birds of a feather? That's the conclusion many on here have come to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT