ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier years...

Oh Let's see.. Day we hired Spurrier was my happiest day ever as a Gamecock Fan. We actually hired a great and proven coach!! His last year as a coach he seemed to be more interested in Golf than Football, which really sucked. But man those middle years were very fun for Gamecock Football Fans and even better, they were Miserable for Clemson fans... So yes, I know that Spurrier was a blessing to this Gamecock Fan... For Clemson he was a 5 year Nightmare...

I totally mistyped that. I meant that Graham wanted the Recruiting Coordinator job. Not the Offensive Coordinator position.

I'll edit that. 😑🤭
I thought that might have been what you meant, but the only way to make sure was to respond to your post. No harm, no foul.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Oh Let's see.. Day we hired Spurrier was my happiest day ever as a Gamecock Fan. We actually hired a great and proven coach!!
Amen brother. It had been rumored of course, and Holtz when he resigned had said “the next guy is gonna get this sucker right”, so you knew he knew , but still….

I was able to stream the press conference at work, and when I saw Spurrier on the stage….my father and I, who had passed away a few years before, had talked many times about how great it would be for us to have a coach like Spurrier; gotta admit I choked up.

“Why not us?”

The program was a mess when Spurrier left. But prior to that was pretty awesome and showed this program doesn’t have to be mediocre.

Reactions: atl-cock
The program was a mess when Spurrier left. But prior to that was pretty awesome and showed this program doesn’t have to be mediocre.
When Spurrier left, it was only 1 1/2 years since we finished #4 in the nation. Will Muschamp, arguably the worst "game day" coach in the history of the program, won 9 games and the Outback Bowl in his 2nd season, primarily with Spurrier recruits. What is the "mess" that Spurrier left behind?

Spurrier had an amazing run at the start and showed fans that our program can be successful. It sucks it was a dumpster fire when he left it. And we have been stuck as mediocre ever since.

Spurrier had an amazing run at the start and showed fans that our program can be successful. It sucks it was a dumpster fire when he left it. And we have been stuck as mediocre ever since.
Do not believe 4 national Top 25 finishes, including 3 Top 10 finishes, all in the later half of his time here could be described as a "dumpster fire". If so, we need more of that garbage.

He showed us we can have a winning program, but then his laziness and ego left us back in the dungeon. We have yet to recover.
I will chalk his "laziness" up to his being tired of working so hard and given he was "past his prime".

You will note that I am generally not a Ray Tanner basher, but if SOS was ready to retire, RT should have asked him to finish that current season and not pushed for more.

But it's amazing how many people want to use his sudden exit as a reason to tear him down at every turn and diminishhis accomplishments by calling him a quitter.

There are also several posters on this board alone that say the only reason he was successful here is because he got lucky with an influx of talent in SC.

Steve Spurrier, HOF'er, lucky. Yeah, OK. 🙄
But he got than influx of SC talent due to his reputation.

Amen brother. It had been rumored of course, and Holtz when he resigned had said “the next guy is gonna get this sucker right”, so you knew he knew , but still….

I was able to stream the press conference at work, and when I saw Spurrier on the stage….my father and I, who had passed away a few years before, had talked many times about how great it would be for us to have a coach like Spurrier; gotta admit I choked up.

“Why not us?”
I choked up when Merrifield got that base hit - thought of my father who has passed away a few years prior (as well).

you can relive 2014 and 2015 ALL that you want.
You said the "start" was "amazing". The "amazing " part of Spurrier's time at Carolina was in the later part (last half) of his time here. By the way, at least we went to a bowl in 2014 and won it. Hope we are that fortunate this year. If so, FGF members would explode in euphoria.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT