ADVERTISEMENT

SPURRIER

Its always a good sign for us gamecock fans when he is like that. He wasn't like that last year. He must know something we dont of how much better this team might actually be.

He's not throwing in the towel! The man loves to compete, and he's fired up! I think a little passion is good!

Reactions: oakley51
I've been saying on here that if you follow our guys on social media, they are pissed off and feel disrespected. Now Coach is pissed too. Even though they were young last year and had some growing pains we have some highly recruited players. They're gonna bring it this year. Mark it down

Coach Spurrier knows something special can happen this year and when he says that the Gamecocks are going to be "okay", I'm the last person to bet against him. It was also obvious that he either reads or is told about the d!psh!ts that post negative crap here and are not true fan of the South Carolina program.

This presser is the worst possible thing that could happen to Tillman University and it sounds like finally the score will be run up against them at WB when the chance is there.

Reactions: oakley51
There was a time when we had a good team and Spurrier would never say we had a "good team". He would always say we had a chance of doing well. It sounds encouraging to hear him say we have a good team this year.

There was a time when we had a good team and Spurrier would never say we had a "good team". He would always say we had a chance of doing well. It sounds encouraging to hear him say we have a good team this year.
Spurrier is never the type to give much away. But it seems he was pissed enough to say "we have a good team, we're coming to play some football, and gonna punch ya in the mouth!"

I guarantee there's something else behind all of this that we fans will never know. But whatever it is, I'm glad it happened and I'm glad to see the HBC fired up like this. Kinda strange in that his demeanor was totally different here than any other preseason...or pretty much any interview... that we've ever seen from him. He knows the media and usually works them well in a light heartened casual manner. But that was more serious than he normally ever is when the cameras are on. It seems he's taking something he's heard personally and he he doesn't like it.
And I don't mean our fans pizzin and moaning. I think it much more.

But while I'm glad he's standing up to all the negativity and negative recruiting I'm gonna keep it in perspective as far as his comments about the team and this season. He's in the same state of mind as every coach in America right now...they're all ready to get it on and get back to what they love doing the most, which is live competition.

But I'm glad he came out and took a stand. I doubt it'll shut any mouths up on this board but maybe, just maybe...he'll show everyone that's he's still in it to win it and we'll have a better season than most are predicting. And hopefully have a huge signing class so I can come back here in February and instill a little spite!

Reactions: Anna Mule
244b992a4753d38ed947da0b5ec98738219747fa9c33f24e64bc34f6dd550ccd.jpg

Reactions: TwoTweezy
I'm glad he done it! It's absolutely a shot in the arm for everyone. But speaking about it and having the horses to do it are two different things. There are just two many unknowns. Add in that we will face three running backs who can take over games and its obvious the road is daunting. I will say that whatever talent you have dressed out on your side it's better for them to know the coach is ready to roll. So it definitely helps.

Spurrier can say what he wants, but until the recruits start believing him, don't expect all the fans to. What matters is what the recruits think.

Spurrier is and always has been a competitor and hates to lose. He is fired up and this presser was a great shot in the arm for the team, fans and recruits. His energy, passion, and commitment have never been stronger.

It's the same every year. 1 month before the season starts he talks about how good a team we have. He said the same last year. It's coach speak. It doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: IkeWild33
Probably has alot to due with the negative recruiting from some schools, such as PSU, and this big recruiting weekend.

This seems to be an appropriate thread to remind everyone that you can ignore specific users on this board who consistently sound and act an awful lot like the enemy. It makes it a lot better - you just see their name without the post.

EDIT: You don't even see that they posted anymore. Even better. Just because someone hands you a bag of crap doesn't mean you have to take it.

Food for thought.

Last edited:
Read, I don't think he refuses to recruit. That's an over the top statement. I would agree that recruiting may not be his strong suit. It seems that a lot of kids today expect non stop attention and coddling. You hear recruits say they want texts and messages DAILY, etc. I would have a hard time with that. Gone are the days of the kid saying "it would be an honor to play here sir." That said, it is what it is and I think we need a better recruiting coordinator. Someone young and full of energy. We also need to put more money and focus on it. Seems like when we had Shane Beamer and the RB coach who played at UT, we were better at recruiting. After the three straight eleven win seasons recruiting was not where it should have been.
But things are not all doom and gloom.

Along those same lines, someone could say Dabo refuses to coach or doesn't like to coach. I'm sure he tries to coach and probably likes to, but he can't. Or he can't do it well. What he can do, is sell. And recruiting is selling. He and clemp tech went out and spent millions finding coordinators who can coach for him.
Spurrier absolutely can recruit and at times has done it exceptionally well. We just need someone to coordinate it and push it harder.

Reactions: rpp2001
I guarantee there's something else behind all of this that we fans will never know. But whatever it is, I'm glad it happened and I'm glad to see the HBC fired up like this. Kinda strange in that his demeanor was totally different here than any other preseason...or pretty much any interview... that we've ever seen from him. He knows the media and usually works them well in a light heartened casual manner. But that was more serious than he normally ever is when the cameras are on. It seems he's taking something he's heard personally and he he doesn't like it.
And I don't mean our fans pizzin and moaning. I think it much more.

But while I'm glad he's standing up to all the negativity and negative recruiting I'm gonna keep it in perspective as far as his comments about the team and this season. He's in the same state of mind as every coach in America right now...they're all ready to get it on and get back to what they love doing the most, which is live competition.

But I'm glad he came out and took a stand. I doubt it'll shut any mouths up on this board but maybe, just maybe...he'll show everyone that's he's still in it to win it and we'll have a better season than most are predicting. And hopefully have a huge signing class so I can come back here in February and instill a little spite!
I like what Spurrier had to say. I think he needed to say what he did to help set the record straight on all this talk. Just which he would have attacked all the schools that are doing the negative recruiting against us. Not so much say who the schools are, but say we know who you are, what you are saying, and we are watching you.

He should have gotten fired up during the recruiting process and when our defense was giving games away due to our coordinator's in ability to coach. Now he is paying the price from the media.

Troll???? I will admit , probably could have worded that a little better. But don't sit here a accuse me of being a troll. I have been one that has been in full support of Spurrier. I hope after today, these boys are ready to knock some heads off!
I misread it too. Like your attitude and I agree. Can Not Wait!

He should have gotten fired up during the recruiting process and when our defense was giving games away due to our coordinator's in ability to coach. Now he is paying the price from the media.

Don't be a fool. Did you see Spurrier on ESPN all night? This interview was a great move and a great tool.

Reactions: mike102851
Except he refuses to recruit.

We honestly didn't hire Spurrier to be a recruiter. He is one of the best game day coaches there is. We hired him to beat Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Florida, etc. And, you know what? He has..

It would be great to get top 5 classes year in and year out so we could claim the recruiting national championship like our little brother to the North (nothing else to claim), but SC isn't Florida. We have about 1/4 the population. Hell, Atlanta has as big a population as SC as a whole. As long as Coach keeps us in the top 20 recruiting, I like our chances. Especially, with him calling the ball plays..

Reactions: rpp2001
We honestly didn't hire Spurrier to be a recruiter. He is one of the best game day coaches there is. We hired him to beat Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Florida, etc. And, you know what? He has..

It would be great to get top 5 classes year in and year out so we could claim the recruiting national championship like our little brother to the North (nothing else to claim), but SC isn't Florida. We have about 1/4 the population. Hell, Atlanta has as big a population as SC as a whole. As long as Coach keeps us in the top 20 recruiting, I like our chances. Especially, with him calling the ball plays..
He lost to Clemp, UK, Mizzou and UT last year. It's likely he will lose to UGA, LSU, aTm, Mizzou and UT this year and it's not out of the question he could lose to UNC, Clemp and UF too. So, he's not winning anymore either.

During yesterday's rant he mentioned we have a good team this year. I recall him saying the exact same thing last year. The difference between this year and 2012 is our staff and our talent. We're trending in the wrong direction and yesterday smacked of desperation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT