ADVERTISEMENT

Staley promise….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of weird that she's only doing it for black coaches. It would be a firestorm of controversy if a white coach only sent a piece of the net to other white coaches. Would probably get fired.
There are a ton of white coaches for a sport with 95% black players. Dawn is doing this for motivation so more black coaches to accomplish more and get hired. Quit starting crap and trying to start a race thing 😡

There are a ton of white coaches for a sport with 95% black players. Dawn is doing this for motivation so more black coaches to accomplish more and get hired. Quit starting crap and trying to start a race thing 😡

Why does it matter what color the coach is? If they can teach basketball and win games, who cares?

I understand her intent, but you have to admit if a white coach wanted to share his/her success with only other white coaches, that would be a sh*t storm of controversy.

Last edited:
Actually it’s a legit question, your outrage simply amazes me. What’s the percentage of a race that it no longer constitutes “racist actions” when something like this happens? Too many of one race means they can be discriminated against and it’s justified all while not enough of another race allows for that race to actively discriminate against the larger group. This is getting old.

Last edited:
Why does it matter what color the coach is? If they can teach basketball and win games, who cares?

I understand her intent, but you have to admit if a white coach wanted to share his/her success with only other white coaches, that would be a sh*t storm of controversy.
🙏 for you to!!

Reactions: rogue cock
Actually it’s a legit question, your outrage simply amazes me. What’s the percentage of a race the no longer constitutes “racist actions” when something like this happens? Too many of one race means they can be discriminated against and it’s justified all while not enough of another race allows for that race to actively discriminate against the larger group. This is getting old.
Double 🙏’s for you!!!

I’ll forego any comment on the racial implications of Staleys actions. I honestly don’t care one way or the other.
I tried to imagine myself as one of the coaches who received a piece of the net, and how I would feel about it. “Okay, it’s nice of her to send this as a show of encouragement. Maybe it’s kind of an ‘I did this. Keep doing your thing and see what you can achieve.’ Then again, is this really about encouraging me to succeed, or is this some kind of Dabo Sweeney level of self promotion? This could have easily been a private thing between the two of us. Why is it all over sports media? Either way, unless I want to be vilified, I have to act appreciative and humble to be involved.”

Kind of weird that she's only doing it for black coaches. It would be a firestorm of controversy if a white coach only sent a piece of the net to other white coaches. Would probably get fired.
When Black Coaches get opportunities to fail like other coaches then there will be no need for this. You have all these Black players in football and basketball. However, there always seems to be a reason why they don’t get opportunities when it comes to coaching. It seems we will let them do the PR work with Black families to get the talent in, but little else. That is why it is special in the few instances that they get opportunities. This issue bleeds all the way down to the high school level.

Last edited:
... is this really about encouraging me to succeed, or is this some kind of Dabo Sweeney level of self promotion? This could have easily been a private thing between the two of us. Why is it all over sports media? Either way, unless I want to be vilified, I have to act appreciative and humble to be involved.”
Who is putting out the videos? Is it Dawn or USC? Or are the coaches receiving the piece of net putting them out? Makes a difference.

When Black Coaches get opportunities to fail like other coaches then there will be no need for this. You have all these Black players in football and basketball. However, there always seems to be a reason why they don’t get opportunities when it comes to coaching. It seems we will let them do the PR work with Black families to get the talent in, but little else. That is why it is special in the few instances that they get opportunities. This issue bleeds all the way down to the high school level.
I have personally worked for two black head coaches. In my experience with them they were both excellent men of character and I admired them. With that being said they were soft in terms of discipline, especially foe the star player and they were grossly unorganized and terrible and planning. I’ve also worked for white coaches who were too tough and were work-aholics. Neither of those things have to do with race. Just so happened that was my experience. I’m sure others have another experience. Hire the best coach. To hell with what color his or her skin is.

Maybe a white guy thats a player on a team that wins a national championship team should send pieces of his piece of the net other white guys to encourage them to keep the faith and keep working hard despite the odds being against crackers making it in the sports world. How would that go over?
Would the news media be all over that?

Reactions: tngamecock#
Just stop with all of the Staley criticism. She is the best coach of any sport to ever be at this school period! This coming from a 46 year old white male that grew up on a well known plantation near Charleston. She is not racist but there are a few on this board.

Just stop with all of the Staley criticism. She is the best coach of any sport to ever be at this school period! This coming from a 46 year old white male that grew up on a well known plantation near Charleston. She is not racist but there are a few on this board.

Great Coach is correct.
I guess that excuses any other things people may disagree with her about?

Great Coach is correct.
I guess that excuses any other things people may disagree with her about?
It's not a surprising comment coming from you as you are always the 1st to comment on anything she does....really, does she hurt your feelings that much, does she really offend you??...sure seems like it.

Reactions: shiverz
I sure hope you are just saying all this to piss me off or in an effort to get a move out of me.
White people are not lacking opportunity in sports. Well, maybe at cornerback, but that's okay. A white cornerback is the most useless thing in sports.

• Wow
Reactions: purenonsense
It's not a surprising comment coming from you as you are always the 1st to comment on anything she does....really, does she hurt your feelings that much, does she really offend you??...sure seems like it.

Yes her political shit offends me.
You happy now?
Helluva coach. Too bad cause i used to enjoy watching the games.

One of the things that the founders of our nation did, was to ratify a constitution for how we shall govern ourselves. Then, after they realized that that constitution was ineffective, they gathered together again, and ratified a new, more broad-scaping constitution that still is in use today. That newer constitution involved in part, creating more federal taxation to better fund the federal government, provide for a stronger federal military, and provide better federal civic funding in case of national emergencies.

Just how they would go about doing this, was the decision to take an accounting of just how many people lived in our new country. All people, with the exception of Native Americans. This accounting was called the U.S. Census. It would be taken every ten years, a decennial census.

The first Census conducted was in 1790. The 1860 census taken was the final census taken during the history of the United States when slavery was a legal practice. According to that Census, African peoples - consisting of majorally slaves - consisted of 13% of the total US population. Some 4+ million of a total population of around 30-35 million.

According to the 2020 Census, African-American citizens constitute around 13.5% of the total US population of some 330+ million people.

All the politicizing of this Critical Race Theory, and of the White demographic of the nation being pushed out or marginalized, is nothing but "White Hysteria". It will take 1,000's of years before Blacks overtake Whites in this counrty, if that ever happens. But certainly, the United States of America will not exist when that happens, anyways. The biggest issue is Hispanic growth into the Nation's population.

But there's all kinds of misconceived notions being thrown around. One such notion, is the above one that the sport of Basketball is populated with 95% black players in a nation of people where the Black population may NEVER rise above 20% of the total. As for Women's Collegiate Basketball, it is STILL comprised of some 70% white female players, about 10% black players, 6% Hispanic or Latino players, and 2-3% Asian players. Black female players haven't EVER cracked 10% of the total demographic, but they might oneday soon.....

So, you think those that don't agree with her are racists?

What does your race, gender, or where you grew up have to do with whether Dawn is or isn't racist? And what does your race, gender or where you grew up have to do with validating Dawn's ability as a coach? "This coming from a 46 year old white male..." As if there is something profound about a middle aged white male saying Dawn is a good coach. I doubt you will find any middle aged honkies that know anything about women's basketball that won't say she is a good coach.

Dawn needs to keep her politics off the court. She's paid to coach and fans pay to see the Gamecocks play. She can do what she wants on her own time and her own dime.
Most of her outward political positions are related to the sport...such as the lack of black leadership in a sport dominated by black youth or the inequalities faced by women in NCAA sports when compared to the male equivalent.

I wonder if we get some of the top recruits because she is so outspoken.

Maybe a white guy thats a player on a team that wins a national championship team should send pieces of his piece of the net other white guys to encourage them to keep the faith and keep working hard despite the odds being against crackers making it in the sports world. How would that go over?
Would the news media be all over that?
Fox might be cool with that story.

Most of her outward political positions are related to the sport...such as the lack of black leadership in a sport dominated by black youth or the inequalities faced by women in NCAA sports when compared to the male equivalent.
She's paid VERY well by The University of South Carolina to coach our WBB team. During games or press conferences, she needs to lose the politically themed crap.
Can you imagine if any of our football or MBB coaches wore MAGA hats?

She's paid VERY well by The University of South Carolina to coach our WBB team. During games or press conferences, she needs to lose the politically themed crap.
Can you imagine if any of our football or MBB coaches wore MAGA hats?
This reply speaks volumes. Why do you feel issues like the lack of black leadership or the inequalities faced by women are politically themed? Are these issues opposed by people that wear MAGA hats? Shouldn't you want equality for all? Honestly ask and answer yourself why these issues bother you.

I have personally worked for two black head coaches. In my experience with them they were both excellent men of character and I admired them. With that being said they were soft in terms of discipline, especially foe the star player and they were grossly unorganized and terrible and planning. I’ve also worked for white coaches who were too tough and were work-aholics. Neither of those things have to do with race. Just so happened that was my experience. I’m sure others have another experience. Hire the best coach. To hell with what color his or her skin is.
I agreee with hire the best coach. My issue is that many times that it is used as an excuse to not even give the Black coach a chance. It took a Rooney rule and the Rooney’s to go out on a limb to give Mike Tomlin a chance. Now, he is considered one of the best coaches in the NFL. Giving Dawn Staley a chance coming from Temple and barely out of the WNBA was considered radical. She, also, could have easily been put in the box of a great player can’t possibly be a good coach. A National Championship, 3 Final Four appearances, and about six SEC championships later that line of thinking seems short-sighted at best. People try to just say that black players are more gifted in an attempt to use that as an excuse to limit their opportunities intellectually. However, I remember a time when Blacks didn’t get an opportunity athletically either. The same excuses you hear with coaching opportunities were the same excuses you heard with allowing them to play. I was around when the word was that you couldn’t let Black players play or play certain positions because they didn’t have the mental capacity. Even when it got better, I remember the notion that you could have only 2 Black players on the Basketball starting five at a time. What I have found is that most race issues are not out of hate. It is out of fear. It is a fear that if we give this other group an opportunity, where are my opportunities going to come from? My thought is that it frees us to find the very best possible no matter where it comes from. My issues have never been with white coaches being hired. It’s been with them being hired in an incomplete process based on racial stereotypes that should be a part of our past.

Last edited:
I recently saw where someone posted pics of all 14 SEC head football coaches. Not a minority among them. Doesn't that seem to indicate that there is a disparity in the hiring practices for lead jobs in college sports? I see no problem with anybody advocating for more diversity. That is what Dawn is doing, wanting to see more black women in leadership positions.

AdCoop, I completely understand your thinking and agree with the search for the best employee. . Give everyone an equal chance at the job if they apply. Race should be no issue. It was once said a black QB was not smart enough to read defenses and succeed. Patrick Mahomes and others would disagree. Choose the best candidate. Period.

However gracious Dawn's gesture is, she includes only one specific racial group. I understand her reasoning to give encouragement to others that you can accomplish anything if you work hard. But again, she limited it to one race. She excluded any coach who isn't black. What about a young white coach who is beginning their career and maybe isn't doing well. How much would that encouragement from a superstar player, coach, Olympic coach and national champion mean to that young coach? Of course, she will never get that encouragement or that piece of the net. CDS could have been a mentor to many. Instead she chose to limit that to those like her. Isn't that racism? Had Geno done the same to white coaches, how would that be received ? There would be a national uproar. It gets back to double standards. It's ok for rap music to use the N word if done by blacks. But a Country music guy uses it and he is kicked out of Country Music. A race car driver uses the word and is banned for a year. Kevin Hart says the word in his shows and people laugh. Imagine the up roar if there was a NAAWP.

I believe Dr. King correctly said that we should look at the content of a person's being and not the color of their skin. Of course that is a paraphrase but being pc (lol) I made it gender neutral . The point is, until all people can see a person and not see a person of a particular race, we can't have equity. That includes limiting gestures of hope and encouragement to those who are in a certain ethnicity.

CDS does much for our University and community. We are fortunate to have her. But she too needs to be inclusive.

This reply speaks volumes. Why do you feel issues like the lack of black leadership or the inequalities faced by women are politically themed? Are these issues opposed by people that wear MAGA hats? Shouldn't you want equality for all? Honestly ask and answer yourself why these issues bother you.
One more time. Keep it off the court. If she wants to promote her agenda outside her duties as head coach, have at it.

By the way, who has a problem with "Make America Great Again" but many lose their #$@! over a red hat.

Reactions: HeckSpawn
I don't see the problem in it. As long as she's not anti anyone else then I don't see the issue. In a sport that has been largely dependent on a black female majority playing the game, there have historically been little head coaching opportunities given to these women until recent years especially in P5 programs.

People like C. Vivian Stringer and Carolyn Peck(who gave Dawn her championship net) were trailblazers in helping programs see that these women are much more than just athletes on the floor but great minds who can coach and deserve just as much as a chance as anyone else.

Dawn has entered the realm as being referred to as one of the great coaches of the sport of WBB (with Stringer perhaps being the only other black coach given that title)and she knows the value of someone who looks like herself not getting a fair shot at certain opportunities. I don't see the harm in inspiring those who have overcame the odds to dream a little bigger, like what Carolyn Peck did to help motivate Dawn to win a national title with such a simple gesture.

One more time. Keep it off the court. If she wants to promote her agenda outside her duties as head coach, have at it.

By the way, who has a problem with "Make America Great Again" but many lose their #$@! over a red hat.
Right on cue as the old folks used to say, " A hit dog will holler"! She's highly focused on Basketball "on the court". She's is a public figure and she is great at using her platform outside of any game situation.

Actually it’s a legit question, your outrage simply amazes me. What’s the percentage of a race that it no longer constitutes “racist actions” when something like this happens? Too many of one race means they can be discriminated against and it’s justified all while not enough of another race allows for that race to actively discriminate against the larger group. This is getting old.
I have no idea who this post was addressed to. If it was addressed to NA Gamecock, I don't se the "outrage" in his/her post.

I don't blame CDS at all for being loud. I think she would agree with all, that she wishes that she could stick to basketball and not pay attention to other topics. But unfortunately we live in a world where past and present racially-motivated actions have put black women at a disadvantage in the coaching and AD positions....and just leadership roles in general. Black players too often get passed over for those foundational roles that lead to coaching gigs and future success. I really think that Dawn's message to other black coaches was just a simple wishing them the best through all of the hardships as they face the challenges it takes to move up the ladder.

CDS is in a position of power where she can give light into the inequalities in her sport without fear of reprisal from her AD and shunning from the general public. She has the platform, she sees the inequalities, I think she would be doing the sport of women's basketball a disservice by not speaking up for those without a voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT