ADVERTISEMENT

Stars Matter

DeepfriedCock

Jan 30, 2017
Well it looks like we are moving to back of the Pack in the SEC. Fourth in the East in Recruiting. This looks like a very average class. Of course they will be a couple of studs in our Plethora of 3 stars. But as a whole this not the kinda class that wins the east. And I'm usually positive, but our foes in the east our moving up.

Well it looks like we are moving to back of the Pack in the SEC. Fourth in the East in Recruiting. This looks like a very average class. Of course they will be a couple of studs in our Plethora of 3 stars. But as a whole this not the kinda class that wins the east. And I'm usually positive, but our foes in the east our moving up.

Need to find 2-3 difference makers in each class. The rest are role players. Do that every class we’ll be fine. Have to see how it plays out. Definitely give yourself more chances to find those guys when you get more stars. But this isn’t a perfect system.

Reactions: Brace1
First year head coaches...

Stars matter and Size matters.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Our best teams had a great coach, of course. But they had talent at the critical positions, and that’s what pushed us to more wins (with the same coach). I realize our ranking vs the east is sketchy, but if our 5-star and several of these 4-stars play up to their potential, we will be a much better team in a couple of years. Will it be good enough? We shall see.

We signed a top tier QB and very good group of defensive lineman and got a 4-star DB. Doesn't sound so terrible to me. You guys worry too much about stars etc anyway. Deebo was a 3-star by a lot of services coming out of high school. I feel like we filled on a lot of needs on the OL and DL.

Yep got a good QB and DB. Great DL and good OL. We need more difference makers on offense, DBs and especially better LBs. It hurt losing that LB to UF.

We signed a top tier QB and very good group of defensive lineman and got a 4-star DB. Doesn't sound so terrible to me. You guys worry too much about stars etc anyway. Deebo was a 3-star by a lot of services coming out of high school. I feel like we filled on a lot of needs on the OL and DL.
We are 7-5 with Deebo. That won't close the gap.

Been my point all along with folks complaining about Muschamp this year. Not sure there is much that can be done. UGA is going to reel in great classes almost by default. Florida is about to get that ship back in the right direction under Mullen. And we all know Florida is a recruiting paradise. Pruitt is doing a decent job in turning UT around. Going to be tough. And the folks in the West aren't going to make those games easier with the way most of them are recruiting. And to make it worse, Clemson doesn't look like they are falling of the recruiting boards anytime soon. A tough position to be in. USC could actually improve tremendously over the next couple of years without the record showing it.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
Been my point all along with folks complaining about Muschamp this year. Not sure there is much that can be done. UGA is going to reel in great classes almost by default. Florida is about to get that ship back in the right direction under Mullen. And we all know Florida is a recruiting paradise. Pruitt is doing a decent job in turning UT around. Going to be tough. And the folks in the West aren't going to make those games easier with the way most of them are recruiting. And to make it worse, Clemson doesn't look like they are falling of the recruiting boards anytime soon. A tough position to be in. USC could actually improve tremendously over the next couple of years without the record showing it.
You can put a turbo on a 4 cyclinder and make it faster, but it’s still not gonna beat a V8 that adds a supercharger. We’re getting better, unfortunately like you said everyone else is getting better faster.

Of course they matter. The sun is a star and it’s be quite cold without it

Stars really do matter.......to all these recruiting services that use them. Not so much for anybody else.

Reactions: PC31
Then we won't be improved. Anything else is rationalizing.

This is a typical class for us. Mostly solid 3* recruits, some 4* guys who for the most part weren’t hotly pursued by the big boys, and a couple of higher level guys. The good news is this year the high level guys are a QB and a DE, and are seemingly much better than previous years’ headliners like Jam Williams and Sandidge.

I don’t think it’s bad. It doesn’t close the gap with our rivals, but maybe that shouldn’t be the expectation.

This is a typical class for us. Mostly solid 3* recruits, some 4* guys who for the most part weren’t hotly pursued by the big boys, and a couple of higher level guys. The good news is this year the high level guys are a QB and a DE, and are seemingly much better than previous years’ headliners like Jam Williams and Sandidge.

I don’t think it’s bad. It doesn’t close the gap with our rivals, but maybe that shouldn’t be the expectation.

Yep. Couple of game changing guys at important positions. Could be worth an upset or two while they’re here.

However like you alluded to- when 3 teams you play every year are consistently pulling in Top 5 classes and will have i) more 5* guys on the field than we’ve signed in school history ii) 4* guys at nearly every position and iii) 4* guys on the 2 deep at nearly every position... it’s going to be tough to beat them on a consistent basis

Shouldn’t be the expectation? Typical class? Then what is the point if not to gain ground on our rivals? It’s true, we are not closing the gap. As a matter of fact, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Florida are recruiting on par and even a bit better with first year head coaches. Sorry, I definitely expected to be able to bring in a top 10 or at least a top 15 class by this time in the staff’s tenure.

It’s no accident that the 4 teams in the playoffs consistently recruit at elite levels. It’s true, you still have to have good coaching to develope those players, but the ones saying stars don’t really matter are kidding yourselves.

And I want to throw this out there. Many on this board think Dabo is a moron, idiot, snake oil salesman....which he may be. But all those 4 and 5 stars that “don’t matter” have gotten him to the playoffs the last 4 years.

Shouldn’t be the expectation? Typical class? Then what is the point if not to gain ground on our rivals? It’s true, we are not closing the gap. As a matter of fact, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Florida are recruiting on par and even a bit better with first year head coaches. Sorry, I definitely expected to be able to bring in a top 10 or at least a top 15 class by this time in the staff’s tenure.
No offense... but why? We’re not a top 10-15 program, why should we expect to recruit like one?

Reactions: Jriley33
No offense... but why? We’re not a top 10-15 program, why should we expect to recruit like one?

That’s how you become one. If you aren’t shooting for that then what’s the point. Our toothless neighbors hadn’t won an ACC title since 1992. In the meantime titans like Maryland and Boston college were. Now look at them. We can do it to. Stop the woe is me crap. There no reason we can’t be successful except the defeatist attitude. By the way, we were a top 10 program and squandered it.

Last edited:
Yep got a good QB and DB. Great DL and good OL. We need more difference makers on offense, DBs and especially better LBs. It hurt losing that LB to UF.
We got two good DBs....Smith and Cook (the transfer from SoCal) who was another high 4 star, but does not count in the rankings (along with Belk, another 4/5 star transfer that doesn't count in the rankings).

We got two good DBs....Smith and Cook (the transfer from SoCal) who was another high 4 star, but does not count in the rankings (along with Belk, another 4/5 star transfer that doesn't count in the rankings).
Dixon was a 4 star by some outlets. I think we add Jammie Robinson.

Reactions: rogue cock
It’s no accident that the 4 teams in the playoffs consistently recruit at elite levels. It’s true, you still have to have good coaching to develope those players, but the ones saying stars don’t really matter are kidding yourselves.

And I want to throw this out there. Many on this board think Dabo is a moron, idiot, snake oil salesman....which he may be. But all those 4 and 5 stars that “don’t matter” have gotten him to the playoffs the last 4 years.
It is clueless people like you who make money for the recruiting sites. You don't even understand how the recruiting sites operate. You think Clemsux is winning because they have highly rated recruiting classes when it is exactly the opposite. They now have highly rated classes because they are winning. If you think they are winning because they have highly rated classed, just ask yourself one question: Why were their classes immediately preceding the current run not rated among the highest in the country? Their first playoff appearance was in 2016. In the previous 3 years their classes were ranked 14, 13, and 4. Not exactly top of the nation over those 3 years, right? Yet those were the players competing for the NC in 2016. Also in that year Oklahoma was in the playoffs. Their previous rankings were 15,15, and 14. And Michigan St was in the playoffs with previous rankings of 40, 22, and 22. Teams in the top 5 rankings in those years included the likes of Notre Dame (not even close to being in the playoffs), FSU (disaster of a program), Ohio State ( not in the playoffs), and the other USC (also disaster of a program). Even Tennessee was #5 in recruiting in 2 of those years and didn't come close to sniffing the SEC let alone the playoffs.
If ranking mean so much, please explain the above!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT