ADVERTISEMENT

Stating the obvious but tired of hearing pundits/fans say things about bowl games being

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
"meaningless," or in essence saying that. The hell with that! As long as they count on your record, they count just as much as any other game. Were Coastal, UTC and Akron meaningless? Of course not - they didn`t count(obviously) in the SEC, but they all count. I know the people that say that are in the minority, but I`m tired of hearing that crap. There will be a lot of difference, and don`t pretend it won`t be, from ending up 8-5 or 7-6.

Too many bowls! No glamour in making bowls anymore unless you make a playoff or NY6. I have seen some great thoughts about this last few days.

First-hand it is very likely this continues and only grows in future. When bowls have to fill games with 5-7 schools it devalued the glamour of bowls. It wasn't earned any longer, goes back to everyone gets a trophy society. But as the better players leave teams for draft the less desire spectators have in following or even watching their teams. Less viewers, less TV contracts and bowl games become less profitable therefore making them more desirable.

Second thought is that if bowls want to maintain the top talent playing then they need to start paying for a comparable insurance policy based on potential draft level. Then if injury occurs then player is guaranteed funds, opportunity to improve stock, or if they do get injury then at least they walk away with millions with opportunity to still make an NFL roster a year later

"meaningless," or in essence saying that. The hell with that! As long as they count on your record, they count just as much as any other game. Were Coastal, UTC and Akron meaningless? Of course not - they didn`t count(obviously) in the SEC, but they all count. I know the people that say that are in the minority, but I`m tired of hearing that crap. There will be a lot of difference, and don`t pretend it won`t be, from ending up 8-5 or 7-6.
I’m right there with ya. It’s extremely disrespectful and insulting to every senior playing the last game of his life. The ultimate slap in the face.
Then again the only place I hear it is on social media from anonymous fools hiding behind a safe fake identity.

I love bowl season. The more college football, the better.
Love seeing the Gamecocks match up with teams from other conferences.

Call me crazy, I just love football. Played it when I was younger, and enjoy watching it now. And my favorite time of year is bowl season. I watch them all. I don’t get why some people today are so whiny and technical and business-like about this. Just chill the hell out and enjoy bowl games for what they’re intended to be - football fun!

Call me crazy, I just love football. Played it when I was younger, and enjoy watching it now. And my favorite time of year is bowl season. I watch them all. I don’t get why some people today are so whiny and technical and business-like about this. Just chill the hell out and enjoy bowl games for what they’re intended to be - football fun!
They want the football season to hurry up and get here. And then cant wait for it to over.

There are a lot of people these days that seem to feel the whole season is meaningless for the roughly 120 programs that arent in that top 10 group of teams.
To me it's just very tiring.

Which is why I was opposed to the current 'playoff system' that was muddled together by the NCAA in order to name a 'true' champion from the Division 1 schools.

You also hear it from the players who are skipping the game. They may not use the word "meaningless," but their actions drive that point home much harder than any social media warrior.

LOL! Give it another 10 years. College players will pick and choose the regular season games they don't want to play in, AND the NCAA will let 'em do it! Call it "Student Athletes' Freedom of Choice Plan".

Bowls are a reward for having a winning season, and a chance for host cities to make some money. That’s about it on the surface.

What they offer the schools are additional practice sessions, a little cash perhaps, the fans an opportunity for a 13th or 14th game to attend, and depending on the school, a little prestige if you win.

Hell, a trip to Charlotte, Jacksonville, or Nashville, during the Holidays ain’t so bad if you’re so inclined to attend!

They are becoming meaningless to the players. Seems like we are headed to more kids sitting out bowl games. Wouldn’t surprise me if we have 3 sit next year

Reactions: Jpcooper
Which is why I was opposed to the current 'playoff system' that was muddled together by the NCAA in order to name a 'true' champion from the Division 1 schools.

Was the season more meaningful when only 2 teams were playing for a championship (BCS), instead of 4? Or was it more meaningful when maybe two different teams were auditioning to voters for a national championship but actually playing in two different bowl games (pre-BCS days).

The CFP has expanded the number of teams with a chance. It has also expanded the number of premier (NY6) bowls from 5 to 6, so again there is more opportunity than ever before. Of course, there only used to be 4 premier bowl games, so only 8 teams had this opportunity versus 12 today.

I’m not sure what was so much better about the old days. IMO, this is the best we’ve ever had it as college football fans.

The problem with bowl games is that it used to be a reward and an honor to be invited to go to one after a successful season. Now with so many bowl games almost everyone with a pulse gets to play in one so they are no longer something special. Bowls have basically become a 13 game season for many teams.

The problem with bowl games is that it used to be a reward and an honor to be invited to go to one after a successful season. Now with so many bowl games almost everyone with a pulse gets to play in one so they are no longer something special. Bowls have basically become a 13 game season for many teams.

Very true, and even teams with losing records can qualify under certain circumstances.

SAD

I still believe that a school like South Carolina, that played pretty well down the stretch on offense, benefits from the additional practice time and possibility to improve the 2018 season.

Reactions: cockofdawn
All I know is when Clemson made the blue turf bowl in Idaho it was a huge deal for them and so much media hype was around it. Therefore I say our Belk bowl is a pretty damn big deal and I am proud of our guys for a hard-fought season and look forward to greater success ahead and using this to elevate our program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT