ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Spurrier the new head coach of Orlando?

Was this originally announced on 4/1 or something? Gotta be.

Just saw on Foxnews announcing that Steve Spurrier is the first coach hired and the League will start after the Super Bowl next year...

Good plug for Carolina with pictures of Steve Spurrier with Carolina players, none of Florida players or wearing Gator crap...

He's taking a job where he'll have to work during prime golf season, but as we all know, he can always quit if he doesn't like it.

Its a head scratcher. The only thing I can figure is that he made it clear he was Head Play Caller, and that is about it. He's at the field for practice, at the games, that's it. Coordinators handle everything. Hardly needs an office. If it is more than that, he's just wired differently than almost anybody else. And that's been talked about too, so who knows.

The general story that seems to come out of the bios about him is that he is driven more by having something to prove than by wanting something to do. If that is actually the case, he might dive into the Orlando job full time. But he can be an enigma, so who knows.

I always thought some local high school around where he lives, would of brought him as a no salary volunteer QB coach and let him dial up some plays, when he wanted to show up.

That would of been a good outlet for him, I hope this works for him.

Maybe Jr will come work for him again.

Before this their was no chance I would watch the AAF, now I'm aware of and may watch some, good move by them

Maybe he get Teebow our Mantzell as his QB.

Actually he should call Connor Shaw.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be at best a non event, at worst a mark against his reputation as a HC. The USC gig allowed him to put the Washington episode as merely a situation that didn't work out.

I just don't understand the appeal of this project.

Got to figure that this new league is going to pay him very well if for nothing else than his name lending some legitimacy to the league. Doubt he does much. Gives his playbook to assistants and shows up to call plays during games, and maybe some selected practices. Also may give him a chance to bring the family back together but having Jr and Scotty on the staff, and maybe has an agreement for Jr to take over if the league makes it. At his age, just can't see him really being serious about this otherwise.

The Second Coming of the WFL.
I don't know about that. There are some serious football and TV people involved with this. They probably understand why the USFL, WFL AND XFL failed. So I doubt they will repeat the same mistakes. Add in the fact the the NFL have been complaining for awhile now that OL and QBs aren't properly prepared for the league coming out of college, and the AAF just might end up working in conjunction with the NFL as a developmental league. Time will tell, I guess.

this is an example of wealthy people with all the money in the world who need a hobby to pass the time...This league in short time,just like the rest of them before,will fold up like a cheap suit

Last edited:
I don't know about that. There are some serious football and TV people involved with this. They probably understand why the USFL, WFL AND XFL failed. So I doubt they will repeat the same mistakes. Add in the fact the the NFL have been complaining for awhile now that OL and QBs aren't properly prepared for the league coming out of college, and the AAF just might end up working in conjunction with the NFL as a developmental league. Time will tell, I guess.
People love football. But as has been demonstrated in the past, they mainly love football during the recognized football season.

People love football. But as has been demonstrated in the past, they mainly love football during the recognized football season.

The NFL network is 365 days a year... the NFL draft is 2 months removed from the Super Bowl.. Pre-season games are 4 months after the draft.

College spring football games are 2-3 months after the last college game..recruiting is 365 days a year and followed by many college fans.

......I'd say there's interest in college and NFL football 365 days a year

But.....

Fans arent going to watch inferior football with a bunch of football rejects in a summer league

Last edited:
The NFL network is 365 days a year... the NFL draft is 2 months removed from the Super Bowl.. Pre-season games are 4 months after the draft.

College spring football games are 2-3 months after the last college game..recruiting is 365 days a year and followed by many college fans.

......I'd say there's interest in college and NFL football 365 days a year

But.....

Fans arent going to watch inferior football with a bunch of football rejects in a summer league
That's my point. They never have. Why should they start now? The new will wear off quickly.

Reactions: bosoxcock
I just hope they play by the NFL rules and don't approach players until they are 3 years out of high school.

I just hope they play by the NFL rules and don't approach players until they are 3 years out of high school.

If they do, you can count on the new XFL taking them. It might be the only way they can set themselves apart. Either way, it'll be interesting.

With the average playing career less than 4 years in NFL, the league isn't looking for a "D league"
Each year there will be better talent in college than some "D league" ready to enter the NFL

Got to figure that this new league is going to pay him very well if for nothing else than his name lending some legitimacy to the league. Doubt he does much. Gives his playbook to assistants and shows up to call plays during games, and maybe some selected practices. Also may give him a chance to bring the family back together but having Jr and Scotty on the staff, and maybe has an agreement for Jr to take over if the league makes it. At his age, just can't see him really being serious about this otherwise.

This

I actually think he does well with it. While many have a bad taste in their mouth about the way Spurrier left, he does love football. The man is pushing his mid 70s and really knows nothing else other than football and playing golf.

He’s obviously not doing it for the money. I don’t care how well they pay him, Spurrier and his family have given generously to us and to Florida. He could easily not work another day if he wanted.

I would have rather seen him take a job as a coordinator (college, pro or even HS). This seems to have XFL written all over it and may be a sad way for one of the most impactful football coaches of all time to go out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT