ADVERTISEMENT

Still wondering how in the world...

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
we laid an egg in last year's bowl. I've heard the theory that it was UVA and our team just didn't want to be there. I've heard the theory that CWM didn't use enough of the time to practice. But that loss still stings. Bad for recruiting. Bad for carryover enthusiasm. Bad for fans. I'm still a bit concerned about what that loss says about this current coaching staff. What say you?

Reactions: MAB123
No idea. The FitsNews guy said he was going to release a story on something that happened before the game. He never did.

Reactions: cockofdawn
giphy.gif

The most obvious answer is that we took it for granted we would roll UVA and didn't prepare as we should have. Plain and simple. Players have gone on the record saying we just didn't show up to play. Everyone took our fluke offense performance against Clemson to mean more than it did. We thought we would win just by setting foot on the field. Add in other factors like your most dynamic offensive player skipping the game and it tells you we just didn't take the game seriously.

Considering the predicament of South Carolina defense was in mid to late last season, I was not surprised about the defeat. I am stunned that South Carolina offense was held scoreless.
Bingo! They grinded and played keep away and our defense couldn’t stop them with the defense so decimated. Offensive I have except our genius coaching staff shuffled the Oline and we had a new center who had never started before...could have been an issue.

we laid an egg in last year's bowl. I've heard the theory that it was UVA and our team just didn't want to be there. I've heard the theory that CWM didn't use enough of the time to practice. But that loss still stings. Bad for recruiting. Bad for carryover enthusiasm. Bad for fans. I'm still a bit concerned about what that loss says about this current coaching staff. What say you?
That game still drives me crazy. Telling Clemson fans how the ACC sucks is kind of silly when we lost to a middle tier acc team by 4 touchdowns.

The most obvious answer is that we took it for granted we would roll UVA and didn't prepare as we should have. Plain and simple. Players have gone on the record saying we just didn't show up to play. Everyone took our fluke offense performance against Clemson to mean more than it did. We thought we would win just by setting foot on the field. Add in other factors like your most dynamic offensive player skipping the game and it tells you we just didn't take the game seriously.

I think the players AND the coaches felt this way. Our offense had an amazing game plan ready for Clemson and lit up their defense for over 500 yards and 35 points. We were in formations they had never seen and caught them completely off guard numerous times. The coaches knew that was our only chance and went in with a great plan. But against UVA it appeared as if we had absolutely zero offensive game plan, which I don't understand because UVA had a pretty good defense statistically.

Reactions: robertcock
Where exactly did they want to be?? Home? You’re in the frickin post season. It’s on the coaches to convey that message to the team.
You play the way you practice. Boom couldn't sell playing in Charlotte again as a reward. If you don't practice with intensity and Excitement. Your gonna play like shit. These kids play in Charlotte every year. They wouldn't excited or felt rewarded to be back in Charlotte.

It was fairly easy for me to turn the station at the end of the first half. Can’t imagine sitting through that in person.
jail time was the only think keeping me from chucking my full beer over the bench onto the field. i was soooo pissed! the coaches weren’t interested either.

been a member probably more years than your age! I'm now retired mechanical engineer and former board member of the Greenville Gamecock Club. Been up close for a long, long time and you may have ridden a bus or train or plane with me over the years. Things don't change much in Columbia, now do they?

I know who you are TWayne....we used to work together at the same Engineering firm. I can promise the masses here that TWayne is not a tater - he's just an old pissed off Gamecock like me!
Everyone who liked this post is aware that the poster uses “We” when making fluke reference towards Clemsux. “Add in other factors like “your” most dynamic player missing the game.”

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Jeez people, let's start beating Kentucky and Virginia instead of worry about Clemson. We played the game of our lives and still lost by 3 TDs.

I think the players AND the coaches felt this way. Our offense had an amazing game plan ready for Clemson and lit up their defense for over 500 yards and 35 points. We were in formations they had never seen and caught them completely off guard numerous times. The coaches knew that was our only chance and went in with a great plan. But against UVA it appeared as if we had absolutely zero offensive game plan, which I don't understand because UVA had a pretty good defense statistically.
Did you ever think they were playing with their play calling to have some new plays for ND and ALABAMA. It worked too especially on Alabama with new defensive schemes. In the end they still won the game by three touchdowns regardless of what Bentley did

Did you ever think they were playing with their play calling to have some new plays for ND and ALABAMA. It worked too especially on Alabama with new defensive schemes. In the end they still won the game by three touchdowns regardless of what Bentley did
All we did was attack their Safeties. They were headhunting biting on inside routes. Their safeties played undisciplined. If anything we helped them by exposing a weakness they could correct.

All we did was attack their Safeties. They were headhunting biting on inside routes. Their safeties played undisciplined. If anything we helped them by exposing a weakness they could correct.

That’s my take also. The previous three years they lost a game as their wake up call. Last year their defense lost the game but the offense was too much to overcome. If anything, they owe Coach Muschamp a thank you for the wake up call.

You play the way you practice. Boom couldn't sell playing in Charlotte again as a reward. If you don't practice with intensity and Excitement. Your gonna play like shit. These kids play in Charlotte every year. They wouldn't excited or felt rewarded to be back in Charlotte.

Aint no ice in Charlotte, mon.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT