ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

Obama and Clinton did nothing to mismanage anything like Trump did with coronavirus, to make the market crash like it did this Spring. That's why the market is up only 41% under Trump in 3 1/2 years whereas up 210% and 182% under Clinton and Obama respectively in eight years. Again, that "weak economy" saw a drastic reduction in unemployment under Obama and strong economy under Clinton.

You may want to look at the numbers prior to COVID-19. Neither Clinton nor Obama had anything like this to deal with. No COVID and this market and the overall economy would be superior to Obama or Clinton. Biden will crash the economy if he wins. There will be a small boon if/when a vaccine is approved but then reality will set in. More regulations, higher corporate taxes, higher personal income taxes, higher capital gains taxes, higher minimum wages and more "freebees" are no way to stimulate an economy.

You can spin it until all the cows come home. But, the numbers won't change. 210% and 182% stock market gains respectively under Clinton and Obama vs 41% under Trump. . Unemployment nearly cut in half under Obama. Unemployment in double digits under Trump. Monthly job gains were higher on average under Obama than under Trump, even before covid.

You are very confused. Nearly every single economic indicator was better under Trump prior to COVID. What comparable black swan event did Obama have to deal with?

Maybe we should have presidents serve for 8 years so we can see what their policies really do for the economy?

You may want to look at the numbers prior to COVID-19. Neither Clinton nor Obama had anything like this to deal with. No COVID and this market and the overall economy would be superior to Obama or Clinton. Biden will crash the economy if he wins. There will be a small boon if/when a vaccine is approved but then reality will set in. More regulations, higher corporate taxes, higher personal income taxes, higher capital gains taxes, higher minimum wages and more "freebees" are no way to stimulate an economy.
You may want to look a little closer yourself because you are very confused. The S&P 500 peaked on Februray 19. At that time, the market was up 49% since January 2017. At that rate, it would go up to under 64% at the end of four years, nowhere near half of the Obama 182% and Clinton 210% market increases. The fact that Trump botched up the coronavirus response, the market crashed, making it very difficult for his market to reach a 64% increase on January 2021. And yes, he botched it as evidenced by his pitiful AVERAGE 40.3 job approval rating and losing to Biden by an AVERAGE 9.1% in the polls. Trump was handed a solid economy by Obama and a roaring stock market, only to turn it into a double digit unemployment rate. Those are the facts. You can come up with all the excuses you want. But, excuses won't change the fact-based numbers no matter how much you want them to.

Last edited:
You may want to look a little closer yourself because you are confused. The S&P 500 peaked on Februray 19. At that time, the market was up 49% since January 2017. At that rate, it would go up to under 64% at the end of four years, nowhere near half of the Obama 182% and Clinton 210% market increases. The fact that Trump botched up the coronavirus response, the market crashed, making it very difficult for his market to reach a 64% increase on January 2021. And yes, he botched it as evidenced by his pitiful AVERAGE 40.3 job approval rating and losing to Biden by an AVERAGE 9.1% in the polls. Trump was handed a solid economy by Obama and a roaring stock market, only to turn it into a double digit unemployment rate. Those are the facts. You can come up with all the excuses you want. But, excuses won't change the fact-based numbers no matter how much you want them to.
I do not see how you can blame Trump for the Covid infection? He wanted to shut down flight from China and Falsi told us all there was nothing to worry about, until Falsi said we had to shut everything down and the virus was a big problem. Listening to Falsi was Trumps biggest problem. They did not need to shut the whole country down, only select areas. I remember when Fasli said masks were not necessary, until he said they were. Trump listened to bad advice from experts at every turn, but what could he do? They are our experts!

I do not see how you can blame Trump for the Covid infection? He wanted to shut down flight from China and Falsi told us all there was nothing to worry about, until Falsi said we had to shut everything down and the virus was a big problem. Listening to Falsi was Trumps biggest problem. They did not need to shut the whole country down, only select areas. I remember when Fasli said masks were not necessary, until he said they were. Trump listened to bad advice from experts at every turn, but what could he do? They are our experts!
All you have to do is look at Trump's job approval numbers and his head-to-head match up numbers against Biden and see who the public blames. The public has been accustomed, for decades, to the "buck stopping at the Oval Office".

Listening to Falsi was Trumps biggest problem. They did not need to shut the whole country down, only select areas.

Really? We’re seeing first hand what happens, and how fast it spreads in every corner of the country, when the country opens up. Fortunately we had a three month head start to start to understand the virus, how to treat it, how to treat the worst cases, how to prevent the spread, etc. If we don’t shut the country down in the beginning then the entire place would look like NYC in the beginning stages of Covid in the country. So good for Trump’s cabinet for finally making him listen to Fauci and saving many lives.

Started my 41st year as a financial advisor on January 20th of this year. I use to speak to classes at the University of Kentucky every semester about our approach to investing. I started in the investment business in 1980 and the Dow was at 676. Since that time I've seen 21+% interest rates, 14% unemployment, 14% inflation and in the early 80's the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market. In the 80's they also tried to assassinate the president of our country. 1987 saw a stock market crash and 1991 saw Iraq invade Kuwait and oil prices go through the roof. The 90's saw good growth that eventually led to a technology bubble and a melt down in those stocks. Republicans and democrats both in control and I don't know how many things I've left out. I always got the question: Is timing important? The answer is its not about timing, it's about TIME in the markets! Today the market closed over 26,000.

My dad always told me when I was growing up. Time and Compounding interest are your best friends.

USCALUMNI

My dad always told me when I was growing up. Time and Compounding interest are your best friends.

USCALUMNI
Treasury Yields
Name - Coupon - Yield
GT2:GOV - 2 Year 0.13 - 0.15%
GT5:GOV - 5 Year 0.25 - 0.28%
GT10:GOV - 10 Year 0.63 - 0.62%
GT30:GOV - 30 Year 1.25 - 1.31%

Compounding at current rates will double your money every 300 years.

What exactly would Clinton and Obama have done to keep the economy strong during the coronavirus?Shut everything down totally?Keep everything open?

The reason why Obama's unemployment rate was low was because everyone stoppped looking for a job and left the workforce.Look at the number of people employed during his 8 years compared to Trump's record prior to the coronavirus.But I could live with Clinton's balanced budget but the left today wants no part of that.

I am not sure the Right believes in a balanced budget either

USCALUMNI

Treasury Yields
Name Coupon Yield
GT2:GOV - 2 Year 0.13 - 0.15%
GT5:GOV - 5 Year 0.25 - 0.28%
GT10:GOV - 10 Year 0.63 - 0.62%
GT30:GOV - 30 Year 1.25 - 1.31%

Compounding at current rates will double your money every 300 years.

Who said anything about putting money into Treasury yields

USCALUMNI

What do you all predict in the next month? I bailed on 90% of my stocks last week. I think it's tanking as we enter earning season. In my opinion, the run-up can't continue. I'm going to sit on the sidelines waiting on the next opportunity.

What do you all predict in the next month? I bailed on 90% of my stocks last week. I think it's tanking as we enter earning season. In my opinion, the run-up can't continue. I'm going to sit on the sidelines waiting on the next opportunity.
It's impossible, at least for me to predict the next month. IF you put a gun to my head forcing me to predict, I'd say it's POSSIBLE the market can go up another few percentage points. BUT, having said that, I have plenty of cash on the sideline to pounce when the market pulls back, deeply. That may not happen in the "next month". But, it will happen. I like buying on "sale".

I did the same. I have one EV left in play. The question is, how long can I sit on the bench. The drops present excellent buys.

All you have to do is look at Trump's job approval numbers and his head-to-head match up numbers against Biden and see who the public blames. The public has been accustomed, for decades, to the "buck stopping at the Oval Office".
Keep believing polls where 25% Republicans and 25% Independents and 50%Democrats are polled. Y'all made that mistake one time and I'm afraid are making the same mistake.. The folks that are afraid to or just don't like to express their political opinions are real and very very extensive.

Keep believing polls where 25% Republicans and 25% Independents and 50%Democrats are polled. Y'all made that mistake one time and I'm afraid are making the same mistake.. The folks that are afraid to or just don't like to express their political opinions are real and very very extensive.
The polling outfits have changed their polling methodology since 2016. The past 8 polls all have Biden beating Trump by anywhere from 2 - 15 points.They all use different methodologies and have a different numerical sample pool of voters that they poll.The final averaging of polls in 2016 had Clinton winning the popular vote by 3.2%. She won the popular vote by 2.1%. Where Trump won the White House was through the Electoral College, specifically Wisconsin, Michigan and Biden's home state of Pennsylvania by a TOTAL of only 77,000 votes. The state polls in the battleground states never had Clinton ahead by as much as Biden is today. In just about every election since 2016, Democratic voting has surged in elections. The polls for the 2018 mid-term elections had the Democrats winning only about +30 House seats. They won about +40. Am I predicting a Biden victory? No. Do I like Biden's chances? Yes.

The polling outfits have changed their polling methodology since 2016. The past 8 polls all have Biden beating Trump by anywhere from 2 - 15 points.They all use different methodologies and have a different numerical sample pool of voters that they poll.The final averaging of polls in 2016 had Clinton winning the popular vote by 3.2%. She won the popular vote by 2.1%. Where Trump won the White House was through the Electoral College, specifically Wisconsin, Michigan and Biden's home state of Pennsylvania by a TOTAL of only 77,000 votes. The state polls in the battleground states never had Clinton ahead by as much as Biden is today. In just about every election since 2016, Democratic voting has surged in elections. The polls for the 2018 mid-term elections had the Democrats winning only about 30 House seats. They won about 40. Am I predicting a Biden victory? No. Do I like Biden's chances? Yes.

One other comment: Because of the covid crisis, voters will vote early and by absentee more than ever. Most votes will be in by mid-October. Early voting begins in just 6 weeks. There's not a whole lot of time left in this election season. And the voting start is closer than you think.

Really? We’re seeing first hand what happens, and how fast it spreads in every corner of the country, when the country opens up. Fortunately we had a three month head start to start to understand the virus, how to treat it, how to treat the worst cases, how to prevent the spread, etc. If we don’t shut the country down in the beginning then the entire place would look like NYC in the beginning stages of Covid in the country. So good for Trump’s cabinet for finally making him listen to Fauci and saving many lives.
Oops, that did not age well. Fauci said today we cannot go back into lockdowns. If we all act responsibly we can manage it. So pick another expert to lean on to completely close the entire system shut.

Oops, that did not age well. Fauci said today we cannot go back into lockdowns. If we all act responsibly we can manage it. So pick another expert to lean on to completely close the entire system shut.

it aged perfectly. We needed the lockdowns to learn how to deal with the virus. We are light years ahead of where we were in those first days and now we can treat instead of guessing. It’s still a ways off of having a system where we can control this, but lockdowns aren’t necessary to stop literal millions of deaths that it could have been.

Now if only the freedom fighters will follow their supreme leader’s orders and wear a mask - time will tell.

Looks like your post didn’t age well.

You may want to look a little closer yourself because you are very confused. The S&P 500 peaked on Februray 19. At that time, the market was up 49% since January 2017. At that rate, it would go up to under 64% at the end of four years, nowhere near half of the Obama 182% and Clinton 210% market increases. The fact that Trump botched up the coronavirus response, the market crashed, making it very difficult for his market to reach a 64% increase on January 2021. And yes, he botched it as evidenced by his pitiful AVERAGE 40.3 job approval rating and losing to Biden by an AVERAGE 9.1% in the polls. Trump was handed a solid economy by Obama and a roaring stock market, only to turn it into a double digit unemployment rate. Those are the facts. You can come up with all the excuses you want. But, excuses won't change the fact-based numbers no matter how much you want them to.
Please explain to everyone exactly how President Trump botched the coronavirus response. What would you have done? Biden was interviewed this week regarding what he would have done. He enumerated 7 things.....ALL OF WHICH PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS ALREADY DONE! Seriously, how would you have dealt with the virus?

Saw Wayfair and wanted to mention, there's a rumor floating about them that could hurt their price. I can't possibly imagine the rumor is true but the buying public could shy away from them anyway. The rumor is that they're involved in child trafficking. They have various cabinets that are WAY overpriced, (like $400 cabinets for $14K, and the names of the cabinets coincide with the names of missing children. Again, no way it's true but you know how the public can be and how the market could react.
Someone was just talking to me about this the other day. It does sound absurd and probably just some insane conspiracy theory.

Please explain to everyone exactly how President Trump botched the coronavirus response. What would you have done? Biden was interviewed this week regarding what he would have done. He enumerated 7 things.....ALL OF WHICH PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS ALREADY DONE! Seriously, how would you have dealt with the virus?

Trump should have taken the same moves that Obama and Biden did with the swine flu...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/swine-flu-cases-overestimated/

Reactions: uscedge21
If people get more stimulus checks, it could prop up the market for a little while longer - but it's just delaying the inevitable (absent a great vaccine).
They've been propping up the market since Reagan. Probably before Reagan. That's when the term PPT became well-known. (Plunge Protection Team)

It's impossible, at least for me to predict the next month. IF you put a gun to my head forcing me to predict, I'd say it's POSSIBLE the market can go up another few percentage points. BUT, having said that, I have plenty of cash on the sideline to pounce when the market pulls back, deeply. That may not happen in the "next month". But, it will happen. I like buying on "sale".

I see a lot of things to worry about that could cause a pullback to the March lows - or even lower. Right now, in my view, the risks outweigh the reward. But I will watch for selected opportunities in energy, medical and technology stocks. I am close to retirement so dividends are important to me. I see some opportunities in pipeline stocks like Enbridge, Pfizer, Sanofi and in big cap technology like IBM. I'm also interested in Altria.

I see a lot of things to worry about that could cause a pullback to the March lows - or even lower. Right now, in my view, the risks outweigh the reward. But I will watch for selected opportunities in energy, medical and technology stocks. I am close to retirement so dividends are important to me. I see some opportunities in pipeline stocks like Enbridge, Pfizer, Sanofi and in big cap technology like IBM. I'm also interested in Altria.
I'd be careful here at this point. I try to periodically analyze the market, rather than putting my investments on automatic pilot. I try to keep notes, rather than rely on memory. I ignore the Dow. Rather, I focus on the S&P 500. According to my notes, I last analyzed the market on June 11. At that time, I determined that the S&P could push up to between 3250 and around 3325.This past Thursday, it hit a high of 3279.99. So, it hit the range that I determined back on June 11. It first hit into that range on July 20. However, when I did my analysis on June 11, I thought it would get into that range the following week. So, my timing was off only about one month. Laughing I'm an awful market timer, maybe the worst in the world. And who knows....it could just blow well through that range. So, please, please don't base anything you do on what I say here. I don't like to deploy my cash unless I see a big, fat pitch down the middle of the plate. When I was a teenager, an old friend of mine, now deceased for several years, would often tell me "it's better to be lucky than to be good". Every time he said that, I thought he was full of it. But, as I've gotten older, I have come to realize he was right, all along. For a Clemson fan, he was smarter than he looked (May he rest in peace). I suppose I ought to update my analyses. But., as I've gotten older (I'm a retiree), I have also gotten lazier. Laughing

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I will be investing in a cruise line once the pandemic passes but I’m waiting to see who survives before I put any money in. Whoever does will face less competition and have better potential for future profits.

The same folks that believed that Trump colluded with Russia.. The media lies 24/7 and they eat it up because they are trained liberal chimps.

I remember when polls elected Hillary Clinton...wait, nevermind

In the first 5 months of H1N1 in 2009, Obama and Biden achieved the miracle of 1 million tests. We are at 50 million now with Trump. Millions would have died if those clowns would have been in charge with something as bad a COVID had hit under their administration. We already know that they wouldn't restrict travel because they believed it was racist for Trump to do so, just as they didn't with H1N1.

The lying media won't tell that side of the story.

I will be investing in a cruise line once the pandemic passes but I’m waiting to see who survives before I put any money in. Whoever does will face less competition and have better potential for future profits.

I'm looking at new IPO's that deal with electric vehicles, online sports betting, fintechs, restaurants and can make changes for deliveries and companies that can deliver food...

I don't think your cruise line stocks will come down to $7 again, and if you're waiting for the pandemic pass, then you'll be late to the party...

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm looking at new IPO's that deal with electric vehicles, online sports betting, fintechs, restaurants and can make changes for deliveries and companies that can deliver food...

I don't think your cruise line stocks will come down to $7 again, and if you're waiting for the pandemic pass, then you'll be late to the party...

Yeah I should probably say when the cruise lines get up and going again as opposed to when the pandemic passes. I saw a German ship took off, so I’m watching how that goes. While I didn’t hear specific companies (and that’s ok) all of your stock ideas seem solid.

I remember when polls elected Hillary Clinton...wait, nevermind

You could be right that the eight most recent polls that have Biden up from 2 - 15 points will be proven wrong. That's especially true if the changes that those pollsters made to their methodology since 2016 is inadequate.The election will be cemented sooner than usual because: 1. early voting begins in about six weeks and 2. just about everyone will have voted by mid-October, (before the 3rd debate) because of the pandemic.

Yeah I should probably say when the cruise lines get up and going again as opposed to when the pandemic passes. I saw a German ship took off, so I’m watching how that goes. While I didn’t hear specific companies (and that’s ok) all of your stock ideas seem solid.

I like the IPO's and reverse mergers..

I've own V, MA, PYPL, SQ, FOUR, ADYEY, SPCE, DKNG & SWBI and done well with them...

Bought GDOT, AAPL, AMZN, GPN, FIS, TSLA, WKHS, UBER, PENN and LRN at it's 52 week lows...

The SPAC stocks I like are as follow
Pershing Square Tontine Holdings, Ltd
MP Materials
Fisker Inc
Multiplan, Inc
Fusion Welcome-Fuel, SA
Velodyne Lidar
Burgerfi
Golden Nugget Online Gaming, Inc
Hyliion Holdings Corp
Tattooed Chef
Utz Brands, Inc
Triterras Fintech Pte. Ltd.

You could be right that the eight most recent polls that have Biden up from 2 - 15 points will be proven wrong. That's especially true if the changes that those pollsters made to their methodology since 2016 is inadequate.The election will be cemented sooner than usual because: 1. early voting begins in about six weeks and 2. just about everyone will have voted by mid-October, (before the 3rd debate) because of the pandemic.

Biden will not debate at all... His handlers will not let him out the basement...

Funny, the basement pajamas boys will vote for a basement President...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT