ADVERTISEMENT

Strength of Schedule - USC vs. Clemson...

Coyote89

May 29, 2001
I see a lot of chatter claiming Clemson has a much easier path to the post-season. But is that really the case, and if so, how big is the gap? After all, they play in the tougher of the two ACC divisions and typically face 2 major non-conference teams each year (Gamecocks plus A&M, Auburn, UGA, Notre Dame, etc.) whereas South Carolina plays in the weaker of the two SEC divisions and Clemson is often the only P5 non-conference opponent (exceptions are years when USC plays UNC or NC State).

So, although I know strength of schedule rankings aren't perfect, I was curious to see what the data would show. Here are the results over each of the last 4 years since that's when Clemson has been making the CFP.

Strength of Schedule Ranking...

As of rivalry weekend: Clemson - 18, USC - 9
After bowls: Clemson - 2, USC 20

As of rivalry weekend: Clemson - 6, USC - 54
After bowls: Clemson - 4, USC 48

As of rivalry weekend: Clemson - 9, USC - 65
After bowls: Clemson - 3, USC 59

As of rivalry weekend: Clemson - 20, USC - 41
After bowls: Clemson - 4, USC 41

And before you assume that this ranking is completely bogus, note that the top ten is typically loaded with SEC teams, just not South Carolina because the Gamecocks are in the easier division, the permanent opponent (A&M) has typically been unranked until this year, and the non-conference opponents haven't been powers either, except of course for Clemson.

Here's the database if you want to check it out for yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-08

I see a lot of chatter claiming Clemson has a much easier path to the post-season. But is that really the case, and if so, how big is the gap? After all, they play in the tougher of the two ACC divisions and typically face 2 major non-conference teams each year (Gamecocks plus A&M, Auburn, UGA, Notre Dame, etc.) whereas South Carolina plays in the weaker of the two SEC divisions and Clemson is often the only P5 non-conference opponent (exceptions are years when USC plays UNC or NC State).

So, although I know strength of schedule rankings aren't perfect, I was curious to see what the data would show. Here are the results over each of the last 4 years since that's when Clemson has been making the CFP.

And before you assume that this ranking is completely bogus, note that the top ten is typically loaded with SEC teams, just not South Carolina because the Gamecocks are in the easier division, the permanent opponent (A&M) has typically been unranked until this year, and the non-conference opponents haven't been powers either, except of course for Clemson.

Here's the database if you want to check it out for yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-01-08

Who gives a chit. Clemson still sucks No one gives a chit about them on this board. Take that chit to taterneck

Who gives a chit. Clemson still sucks No one gives a chit about them on this board. Take that chit to taterneck

Because you're one of the people who constantly states this bogus theory. So the OP is pointing out you need to find a new bogus theory to espouse.

So it should be as below.

Who gives a chit. Clemson may be good at football, but No one gives a chit about them on this board. Take that chit to taterneck

Reactions: jonesz21
If their schedule is great why do they have to come on this site to try to justify it. All I know in the most of the schedule they play Wake, Duke, BC, over rated FSU, a done Miami team and a terrible Louisville team. Doesn't really matter when you get in and win the last game. Most just say if they played an SEC schedule they would not go undefeated.

Reactions: pettyw
And Clemson had to beat a 7-5 Pitt team for the ACC Championship. Compare that to who Alabama, Ohio St, and Oklahoma played.

Reactions: pettyw
Strength of schedule is a non-factor when comparing us to Clemson. They proved that when they wiped the floor with Bama in the national championship.
But in effect that's how you get to the final four teams. One loss to A&M or Syracuse and they ain't there.

Because you're one of the people who constantly states this bogus theory. So the OP is pointing out you need to find a new bogus theory to espouse.
No. My theory is we have way too many BOT. Way too many attorneys on the BOT. We need more Dalrla Moore’s on the board. My theory is if tater town can win 3 championships with their resources we should be able to sniff one if we get “ALL IN” from top to bottom

Reactions: Brace1

Have you all seen Guardians of the Galaxy II. It is quite entertaining.

giphy.gif

Hmm, they play a week schedule that benefits them by providing and easier path to the CFP and then get to add their 2 opponents that are both in the top 4 in the nation to their sos?
That’s as ludicrous as the notion that ostarine is in many otc products.

Hmm, they play a week schedule that benefits them by providing and easier path to the CFP and then get to add their 2 opponents that are both in the top 4 in the nation to their sos?
That’s as ludicrous as the notion that ostarine is in many otc products.

I think that is why the OP listed the strength of schedule as of rivalry weekend as well as at the end of the season. As of rivalry weekend Clemson would not have played in the ACC championship game or any playoff teams. With that said, his data shows they still had the tougher schedule 3 of the last 4 years.

I think that is why the OP listed the strength of schedule as of rivalry weekend as well as at the end of the season. As of rivalry weekend Clemson would not have played in the ACC championship game or any playoff teams. With that said, his data shows they still had the tougher schedule 3 of the last 4 years.
j31.gif

And Clemson had to beat a 7-5 Pitt team for the ACC Championship. Compare that to who Alabama, Ohio St, and Oklahoma played.
Probably take Ohio State off your list pretty sure they played a team with multiple losses too.

I can't wait till they suck again bc I've about given up on us being good again. At least till chump is gone anyway.

You can count on one hand and have several fingers left over the amount of times Clemson has ever had a tougher schedule than USC in recent memory.
The current state of the ACC reminds me of the old Nebraska "Big 8" days. Getting to the Orange Bowl required them to win one "big" game a year.

Reactions: Titleist*

Ohio State played Northwestern, Bama played what turned out to be a highly overrated UGA team finishing with three losses, and Texas had three losses with one being to Maryland.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
Ohio State played Northwestern, Bama played what turned out to be a highly overrated UGA team finishing with three losses, and Texas had three losses with one being to Maryland.
Georgia was not overrated. Their 2nd loss was in the SEC Championship game. Had they played a 7-5 Pitt team, I'm quite sure they would have man handled them. Northwestern could have beaten Pitt handily too for that matter. Sorry I said something negative about a team that you had absolutely nothing to do with any game they won.
Until then, what difference does it make?
What difference will it make in August? I mean really.

I don't think that SOS and "path" are the same thing.

So Dabo lies to recruits when he tells them that they have the easiest pathway to the playoffs? Less injuries and players won't be beaten up game after game? This comes straight from the mouths of USC players recruited by Clemson, and I believe that Dabo admits it as well.

I think the fact that we have to go through Bama (maybe twice next year), UGA and Clemson just to get to the playoffs (currently) and then play 2 more top 4 teams is what people mean by clemson's easier path to the championship. That's 5 top 10 wins in one season. Clemson needs 2 top ten wins at this point to win it all. Much harder to beat 5 top ten teams than 2. Its no coincidence that UofSC's demise and Clemson's rise coincided.

The other reason is perception is reality. Most of the reasonable college football fans think that the SEC champion plays a harder schedule than the ACC champion. LSU, Bama, UGA and UF all of won football championships in recent history. UGA is always talented. Who are the 5 teams from the ACC that have equal talent year over year compared to those 5? How many of them had 5 game winning streaks against Clemson in the last 2 decades? We don't play the above teams every year, but there is nobody in the ACC that carries the same billing.

The real question is whether or not UofSC would make it to the playoffs if we were in the ACC. The answer is no right now.

I don't recall the strength of schedule argument coming up. That is pretty cut and dry, but not exactly reliable either. Thanks for posting.

FSU won a national title 5 years ago. They are down now but a reasonable person knows that won’t last long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT