ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday night notes...

W

Wes Mitchell

-- We've had plenty already on what the commitment of Deerfield Beach (Fla.) four-star Riley Ridley means for the Gamecocks, but the aftermath of that "get" continues to make waves in south Florida, and I get the impression it could help Carolina with other prospects moving forward. One assistant high school coach in the area texted me out of the blue following the commitment and said, "Lil Ridley is a HUGE get for Gamecocks down here."

An assistant college coach not on Carolina's staff said that Ridley is the type of player that can change a game. It's important to remember that Ridley is a different player than his brother, but its still a huge get for the Gamecocks nonetheless. It's also worth noting that Chris Lammons, a fellow south Florida standout, did a good job of making Ridley feel comfortable with the program during his official visit. Lammons also has connections with four-star wide receiver target Sam Bruce and will work Bruce for the Gamecocks.

-- Former Georgia commitment and Coconut Creek (Fla.) three-star cornerback Malek Young will officially visit South Carolina on Jan. 29, he told the website SEC Country. Young is being recruited by South Carolina defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson. He's got a final four that includes South Carolina, Miami, Clemson and Ohio State.

-- While there's nothing new to report on the Gamecocks final open on-field position (I still believe Corey Bell is a possibility there, but there's not been any new movement there since I last posted about him) -- it appears the Gamecocks will add former Auburn quality control assistant Kyle Krantz in a similar role. The move was originally reported by AL.com's Brandon Marcello and Krantz has since changed his Twitter bio to a location of Williams-Brice Stadium.

-- It can obviously be difficult to keep up with who is visiting when, so here's a quick, incomplete list of the know official visitors who are currently uncommitted. This list will change, obviously.

Jan. 15
WR Sam Bruce
DT Jamil Dukes
S Daniel Thomas
LB TJ Brunson
DE Tyreic Martin
RB Rico Dowdle

Jan. 22
JUCO RB Treyvon Paulk
JUCO RB Tyren Jones
DE Allen Cater

Jan. 29