ADVERTISEMENT

Talent to Compete Year 1 of the Era of Boom

vzvaughnscfan

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2007
Camden, SC
I've been hearing it over and over but I'm not sure that you can say the talent was that bad on defense. Here is my rationale. When GC compared star power every game, we weren't blown out of the water by anyone really. I truly wonder if we didn't suffer from a development issue. One season after Whammy is handed the keys, we were still fine-still had some NFL draftees hanging around (Clowney, Holloman, Swearinger, Taylor). By the 2nd and third year at the head, we were the worst defense in the conference but landing equally high-quality recruits. How many defenseive players drafted into the show last year - ZILCH! How many this year - Skai, it appears. As evidence, I offer the below analysis:

How many were drafted from our defenses in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 drafts:

2011 Draftees - Recruiting class 2008 3.12 average stars
C. Mattews
C. Culver

2012 Draftees - Recruiting class 2009 3.34 average stars
S. Gilmore
M. Ingram
A. Allen
T. Robertson

2013 Draftees - Recruiting class 2010 3.04 average stars
D. Taylor
D. Holloman
D.J. Swearinger

2014 Draftees - Recruiting class 2011 3.25 average stars
J. Clowney

2015 LACK OF DRAFTEES - Recruiting class 2012 3.24 average stars
chirp - chirp - chirp

2016 Draftee - Recruiting class 2013 3.38 average stars - THE BEST BY AVERAGE
Skai Moore (projected)

The 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes were both ranked 19th by 247 Sports

Listen, I liked Whammy. This is not an attack on him. I love this program and get behind our coaches, as I did Whammy. This is just simply undeniable truth. With that, I fully believe that we will see an improving product throughout next year, similar to Auburn this year. This makes me believe that we have the talent on hand now, to compete when the system is bought into and understood.

BOOM!

Last edited:
Reactions: MPA91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News