ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner on the down low!!!!

gamecockox

Sep 20, 2007
a quality AD is not going to let anyone in the media know what he is doing....Speculation and guesstimation is what we are left with.....which i believe is a good thing.

Lets be patient and see who he hires.

Thats why I was cautiously optimistic about the reports...sounded too good to be true and way too early to be true...we will see...

Maybe Herman was a smoke screen for Smart...

Reactions: GCock47
I don't put way too much into the SEC being almost on par with NFL teams the way some do, but I would think Smart would be the better hire as he knows the ins and outs of the SEC a lot more than Herman would. Now who knows more football is anyone's guess, but Herman was in Ohio and now Texas. Smart has been in Alabama for a good bit. He is going to be able to recruit better in my opinion. The only thing, and I could be wrong, is Smart will have to go out and get a staff. Herman most likely would have brought a lot of people with him to SC from Houston. Having said all of that if I were Herman I would not leave Houston and $3 million to come to SC for $4 million. He is going to have 20 times the headache trying to rebuild a rather lean program. There is no I come tax in Houston so the money is probably a wash.

Reactions: Pruittmatt44
Thanks, I knew about Florida. I have a cousin who chose to live there for that reason.

Thanks, I knew about Florida. I have a cousin who chose to live there for that reason.
Why Madam, you are quite welcome.

And just to be upfront and totally honest, the picture you have there for your avatar is of a very beautiful lady that I'd love to meet!!

Will all due respect, I'm merely being honest. ;):cool:

Why Madam, you are quite welcome.

And just to be upfront and totally honest, the picture you have there for your avatar is of a very beautiful lady that I'd love to meet!!

Will all due respect, I'm merely being honest. ;):cool:
That's his daughter isn't it?

a quality AD is not going to let anyone in the media know what he is doing....Speculation and guesstimation is what we are left with.....which i believe is a good thing.

Lets be patient and see who he hires.
Media is going to speculate & report whatever they choose - they do that in EVERYTHING - sports, politics, etc. - and influence the public in what direction they choose (and, unfortunately, are successful). I'd just hope our AD, who I love, trust, & support has informed any interested coaches to realize Caroline lives under a 24-hr microscope and every move we make or thought we have is on the air immediately and to push that aside - PLEASE!!

Reactions: Tatercocky
I have said since Spurrier announced his retirement or whatever you choose to call it that we likely already had someone in mind....

In between then and the end of the season you would hear all kinds of names and rumors because the agents do what they do!

I doubt Tom Herman is waiting on Texas or any other school to have an opening that interest him more!

What I do believe is that he has a very good agent that leaked rumors in order to get his client a raise where he was or a nice raise to move someplace else! Since Herman now has an offer from Houston for 3 million plus on the table I would say his agent served him well...

What played out here will play out in a few other places as well......I really don't think Tom Herman ever had any interest in this job no matter what anyone else thinks!

Last edited:
Reactions: GCock47
I don't put way too much into the SEC being almost on par with NFL teams the way some do, but I would think Smart would be the better hire as he knows the ins and outs of the SEC a lot more than Herman would. Now who knows more football is anyone's guess, but Herman was in Ohio and now Texas. Smart has been in Alabama for a good bit. He is going to be able to recruit better in my opinion. The only thing, and I could be wrong, is Smart will have to go out and get a staff. Herman most likely would have brought a lot of people with him to SC from Houston. Having said all of that if I were Herman I would not leave Houston and $3 million to come to SC for $4 million. He is going to have 20 times the headache trying to rebuild a rather lean program. There is no I come tax in Houston so the money is probably a wash.
In what universe does 7% income tax on $4 million leave you with $3 million? Can I be your accountant?

I wasn't saying that income tax would take up an entire million. I was jist saying that with him already being settled in Houston that if he is already making $3 million with no income tax that he may jist not be willing to come for the difference. Heck, for all we know he could be the type that wouldn't come for $6 million.

I wasn't saying that income tax would take up an entire million. I was jist saying that with him already being settled in Houston that if he is already making $3 million with no income tax that he may jist not be willing to come for the difference. Heck, for all we know he could be the type that wouldn't come for $6 million.
You said, "There is no I come [sic] tax in Houston so the money is probably a wash." I'm pointing out that it's not a wash. Assuming he was offered $4 million to come to USC, accounting for SC income tax, that would be about a 25% raise from what Houston has offered him.

Last edited:

A) Smart has been reaping the benefits of Bama's recruiting strength. They purchase recruits at a level that would impress even Clemmy, which is saying something indeed. He could well succeed at a traditional power, but it's risky gamble to count on Smart to rebuild a program, given the above & his lack of HC experience.

B) Herman is whip-smart, driven, and has succeeded wildly wherever he's set foot. Given that he will never sniff the playoffs as HC of Houston, he's not staying there.

Hooked on Phonics - give it a try, taterrob.

A) Smart has been reaping the benefits of Bama's recruiting strength. They purchase recruits at a level that would impress even Clemmy, which is saying something indeed. He could well succeed at a traditional power, but it's risky gamble to count on Smart to rebuild a program, given the above & his lack of HC experience.

B) Herman is whip-smart, driven, and has succeeded wildly wherever he's set foot. Given that he will never sniff the playoffs as HC of Houston, he's not staying there.

A....They (Bama) don't need to purchase recruits! They turn away players some places would be happy to get! If that is your best argument for not hiring Smart is a pretty weak one IMHO...

B....Its hard to gauge Herman and his success at any one place that he has been because he hasn't stayed in any place for more than a year or two....

If your premise is that this is a rebuilding job I am sorry to say that neither of these guys has much experience in that endeavor so both would be equally as risky!

However with all of that said one guy has said no thanks so it really doesn't matter much at this point!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT