ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
Tanner has single handedly changed the football and baseball programs for the worse with multiple poor hires. Neither program is the worst in the country in their sport by any means but the expectations have been clearly lowered. Football program was contending in the SEC east and playing in good bowl games. 12 years later, we're missing bowl games and hoping somehow we can pull out six wins for the upcoming seasons. In baseball we were going to Omaha regularly and competing for national titles. 12 years later, we're getting shutout by James Madison at a road regional to end the season and Omaha is a distant memory. Tanner has tarnished the two Carolina sports I grew up loving the most (I root for men's basketball too which has underperformed on Tanner's watch too). I'm hopeful he knows how to hire the right baseball coach but past decisions for the past 12 years (hiring 3 crap coaches and 1 that's still questionable) don't give me the best feeling about it either. I know Tanner is sending a message by firing Kingston that our baseball program has expectations and mediocrity is unacceptable (which I agree with) but how many more unsuccessful hires is he allowed to continue to make? If Beamer eventually gets let go too, does Tanner get yet another chance to butcher that program some more? It's getting ridiculous.

Steve Spurrier putting his son in charge of recruiting - an assistant who didn't like recruiting and publicly said he didn't like to call recruits, etc on the phone - so he could position him for a future head coaching job was a huge mistake- especially since Shane was doing a great job at the job. It was a ludicrous choice- one that can't be explained away and was entirely done out of total arrogance on Spurrier's part.

That was Steve's fault, not Tanner's fault.

Despite what is said on this board and a few others, Shane was a popular choice as head coach and remains a popular coach.

Kingston was not a popular hire. Ray got turned down from some higher profile options that he went after hard and settled on a coach that had a good reputation in Florida who had ties to the Carolinas. In some ways, it made sense to hire a Kingston- a man with Omaha experience as an assistant with 2 different teams.

Instead of getting rid of him too early, he wanted to give him every chance after firing his own assistant coach and what was a very good friend in Chad.

Steve Spurrier putting his son in charge of recruiting - an assistant who didn't like recruiting and publicly said he didn't like to call recruits, etc on the phone - so he could position him for a future head coaching job was a huge mistake- especially since Shane was doing a great job at the job. It was a ludicrous choice- one that can't be explained away and was entirely done out of total arrogance on Spurrier's part.

Despite what is said on this board and a few others, Shane was a popular choice as head coach and remains a popular coach.

Kingston was not a popular hire. Ray got turned down from some higher profile options that he went after hard and settled on a coach that had a good reputation in Florida who had ties to the Carolinas. In some ways, it made sense to hire a Kingston- a man with Omaha experience as an assistant with 2 different teams.

Instead of getting rid of him too early, he wanted to give him every chance after firing his own assistant coach and what was a very good friend in Chad.
Shane was popular due to support by past players. I'm hopeful we dont make that kind of mistake again... giving their opinion more weight than it deserves.

You can blame Spurrier at the time but it was Tanner's job to go find the right replacement. AD'S are judged on multiple things but hires/fires should be at the top of the list and his track record so far is unimpressive. I don't care how popular the Beamer hire was nationally - it was a risk that hasn't paid off as of yet.

Shane was popular due to support by past players. I'm hopeful we dont make that kind of mistake again... giving their opinion more weight than it deserves.

He was popular with players, recruits, recruit families (all terrific traits) and had experience working under numerous coaches. He was also very popular at South Carolina during his time where- which was very successful on the field and with recruiting- when he led that effort.

I never considered him a popular hire nationally. I mean I am sure someone somewhere nationally said it was great but I don't recall that being an issue. I said Shane was a popular hire and remains one- it goes without saying that's with our fanbase. I don't care and didn't say he was a popular choice nationally. I don't even know if he was and don't care about that.

As I said, Shane was and is a popular head coach with the fan-base, outside of some people who complain about him endlessly on the boards- mostly same folks that would complain about the coach had Tanner went out and hired a 4 time national champ coach and accuse Tanner of living in the past by hiring coaches that had already won titles.

Was he that popular of a national hire? I don't remember that, but it's been years.
No I don't think so at all. I guess I misunderstood what Dave was saying. I guess he meant with the fans and former players. If we keep missing bowl games that'll disappear quickly.

Reactions: Lurker123
All the coaches that supposedly blew Beamer's phone up think he's a clown.

Personally insulting our coach and lying about things like this aren't helpful to anyone, including you.

If coaches thought Coach Beamer was as bad a person at his job (or in his personal life) as this implies, they wouldn't uproot their families to move to work for him.

Personally insulting our coach and lying about things like this aren't helpful to anyone, including you.

If coaches thought Coach Beamer was as bad a person at his job (or in his personal life) as this implies, they wouldn't uproot their families to move to work for him.
The good ones aren't doing that.

The good ones aren't doing that.
I don't think our assistant coaches are awful human beings that would uproot their families to work for someone they think is "a clown"

That just doesn't make any sense at all and the accusation has zero credibility.

I don't think our assistant coaches are awful human beings that would uproot their families to work for someone they think is "a clown"

That just doesn't make any sense at all and the accusation has zero credibility.
I didn't say they were awful people, that's your imagination. They're just not on the A list.

I didn't say they were awful people, that's your imagination. They're just not on the A list.
Only awful people uproot their families and the lives of their families to work for someone they believe is a clown.

It makes no sense at all.

Tanner has single handedly changed the football and baseball programs for the worse with multiple poor hires. Neither program is the worst in the country in their sport by any means but the expectations have been clearly lowered. Football program was contending in the SEC east and playing in good bowl games. 12 years later, we're missing bowl games and hoping somehow we can pull out six wins for the upcoming seasons. In baseball we were going to Omaha regularly and competing for national titles. 12 years later, we're getting shutout by James Madison at a road regional to end the season and Omaha is a distant memory. Tanner has tarnished the two Carolina sports I grew up loving the most (I root for men's basketball too which has underperformed on Tanner's watch too). I'm hopeful he knows how to hire the right baseball coach but past decisions for the past 12 years (hiring 3 crap coaches and 1 that's still questionable) don't give me the best feeling about it either. I know Tanner is sending a message by firing Kingston that our baseball program has expectations and mediocrity is unacceptable (which I agree with) but how many more unsuccessful hires is he allowed to continue to make? If Beamer eventually gets let go too, does Tanner get yet another chance to butcher that program some more? It's getting ridiculous.
I agree ! Consider Landon Powell strongly. One Division II National Championship, Six postseason appearances in 10 years. Five Conference Championships and a 75.1 % winning average. He is in an upward trajectory. Watch out for the Holtz or Spurrier Syndrome (up & down), but don't get a Darren Horn (rising/falling star).

100% correct but be aware Tanner will try to find a way to silent you as he has many others

100% correct but be aware Tanner will try to find a way to silent you as he has many others
Every AD makes good and bad hires its life in sports and no one AD is perfect. Leave tanner alone can any one of us do better? If so go Do his job

Every AD makes good and bad hires its life in sports and no one AD is perfect. Leave tanner alone can any one of us do better? If so go Do his job
He's made more poor hires than good hires. Every fan has a right to question his decision making abilities. He needs to retire. He's 66 and his 12 years is the second longest AD tenure in school history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT