ADVERTISEMENT

Tater receivers

budman1976

May 10, 2005
Chapin, SC
As a former reciever and then coached recievers at the HS level, when we talk about our lack of speed and talent at the receiver spot if you don't understand what we mean by talent watch the tater recievers. The way they break off routes, always work back to the ball then have strong soft hands on catches. Its a quarterbacks dream to have guys like this to throw to. I really hope we have this soon for Doty, Hilinski and Stockton.

Last edited:
As a former reciever and then coached recievers at the HS level, when we talk about our lack of speed and talent at the reciever spot if you don't understand what we mean by talent watch the tater recievers. The way they break off routes, always work back to the ball then have strong soft hands on catches. Its a quarterbacks dream to have guys like this to throw to. I really hope we have this soon for Doty, Hilinski and Stockton.
It would be nice. But right now they're not lining up to come here.

It would be nice. But right now they're not lining up to come here.

Your right they aren't, which is why we really need to push the idea of playing with guys like Doty and Stockton. We need some type of shot in the arm for recruiting to build some excitement on that side of the ball.

As a former reciever and then coached recievers at the HS level, when we talk about our lack of speed and talent at the reciever spot if you don't understand what we mean by talent watch the tater recievers. The way they break off routes, always work back to the ball then have strong soft hands on catches. Its a quarterbacks dream to have guys like this to throw to. I really hope we have this soon for Doty, Hilinski and Stockton.
It is the DROPS that kill us. I have never seen any team drop as many balls as we do and it has plagued us since SOS left. He had Jr coaching receivers, dude was much maligned but damn our receivers were better when he coached them! Better talent evaluation, better routes and better HANDS. If our guys caught the ball as well as they should we would be fine.

Reactions: DrMickey
Your right they aren't, which is why we really need to push the idea of playing with guys like Doty and Stockton. We need some type of shot in the arm for recruiting to build some excitement on that side of the ball.
Unfortunately, I think this is a product of top skill players not wanting to play for Muschamp. We'll see, I guess.

Not being a smartass but I think the word is spelled receiver.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Son and I are watching this and noticed this again- the CU receivers just do things right, although it hurts me to say this and I realize they are not playing stout defenses each week. Their hands all remind me of Alshon's- he never seemed to drop one.

Bama and Auburn are getting good use out of guys like Bolden and Schwartz. Run good routes and have some toughness and speed. Seems all our speed guys we can’t get them the ball or they are “necessary” as a backup in the QB position. So we can’t use him.

Last edited:
You just named 11 players over a span of 36 years my friend. And only three of those actually qualify as “top skill players.” That ain’t exactly clamoring.
I named just a few off the top of my head from the modern era genius. Sorry it went over your head, but we haven't been starved for pass catching talent until recently.

People keep bringing up McKinley, Pharoah, and Ellington up as being some of our great receivers but none of those guys were receivers in high school. How many receivers have we had that were highly coveted coming out of high school? Alshon and Shaq Roland are the only ones in my recent memory that were seen as big time targets and Shaq had some issues and never panned out. As good as Sidney Rice and Deebo Samuels were for us, they were high 3 star players coming out of high school. Sterling Sharpe was a QB in high school. Robert Brooks was a RB. Most of the great receivers throughout the history of our school have been diamond in the rough type receivers or receivers that exceeded expectations. There haven't been many that were looked at in high school that people knew were going to be stars at the next level.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
In order to attract talent at WR, you have to have a great QB to sell them. Unfortunately, Carolina hasn’t had a hotbed of talent at QB. Now that there is potential at QB, it’s just that, potential. Not proven. Then you have poor offensive coordinators that are constantly changing, so a recruit doesn’t even know what kind of system he’ll be playing in. Finally, you add in the uncertainty that surrounds the head coaches job and I can only imagine there won’t be any talent around at WR for the near future.

People keep bringing up McKinley, Pharoah, and Ellington up as being some of our great receivers but none of those guys were receivers in high school. How many receivers have we had that were highly coveted coming out of high school? Alshon and Shaq Roland are the only ones in my recent memory that were seen as big time targets and Shaq had some issues and never panned out. As good as Sidney Rice and Deebo Samuels were for us, they were high 3 star players coming out of high school. Sterling Sharpe was a QB in high school. Robert Brooks was a RB. Most of the great receivers throughout the history of our school have been diamond in the rough type receivers or receivers that exceeded expectations. There haven't been many that were looked at in high school that people knew were going to be stars at the next level.
I get the point and don’t totally disagree, but it is a little “apples to oranges”. While it still happens, up until the last 10 or so years (just a guess, nothing scientific there) HS coaches put their best athlete at QB or RB to ensure they could get them the ball. They weren’t always put in the position they’d likely play at the next level, but at the position they’d best help the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT