ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Scott Davis! Excellent article!

It is scary how correct it was. I was grilling and half-heartedly semi-watching. Never got mad. Never really cared. We changed the channel at half. It was over and we knew it. The USC team has quit and my family and I have quit on it. I dread next year. Not sure if we will win more than three games as we will be pummeled by UGA and probably by Kentucky. Should pull one out against Vandy. Maybe against Coastal and Woofard. Toss up with ECU but I have doubts. Can't win many if we can't score.

Reactions: SOSUSC
and who do we have in the wings that we are excited about seeing explode on the scene next year? I see no Deebo, Alshon or any exciting play-makers on this team...

I feel for Scott Davis although I've been a Gamecock fan and supporter for a lot longer than he or most anyone here has. It's unnerving to know that the usual performance of Gamecock football is only now having me turn away from the TV and do what should be uninteresting stuff. I just can't watch so many three and outs in one game and stay with it.

This should not be surprising considering we have been towards the bottom in the SEC in recruiting year after year. However, when you add in poor coaching this is when you see the loses pile up to teams like NC, Tennessee, Missouri, and App St. If we had good coaching we would win 3 of 4 against those teams easy. 6-7 wins is very doable and a must every year or the program will further sink into mediocrity as the recruits you need to take the next step will never consider coming here.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
He’s spot on with the depth thing. Whenever we lose a decent player we become a So Con team. I don’t understand how a “great recruiter” could be in that situation in year four.

I do disagree with one thing: there was nothing, absolutely nothing “riveting” during that 21 game late 90s streak. Nothing.

He’s spot on with the depth thing. Whenever we lose a decent player we become a So Con team. I don’t understand how a “great recruiter” could be in that situation in year four.

I do disagree with one thing: there was nothing, absolutely nothing “riveting” during that 21 game late 90s streak. Nothing.
They looked more organized than this mess. I saw all those games and I was more intrigued with them than I am now. Plus I felt a connection with that team, with Muschamp’s teams I don’t. He keeps us in the dark about the program in the offseason and then he gives us a crappy product in the fall. And yes it’s unwatchable; unless you’re one of us long suffering Gamecock fans!

Agree with all - great article and spot on. Such a shame where this football program finds itself. Especially because the athletic department as a whole is in a pretty good place across most other sports. Probably as good as its ever been, and maybe better in terms of teams either experiencing success or poised for success, and the financial stability of the department.

But there's a massive asterisk marring all that success and stability, and that is our football program, which stinks on a massive level at the moment. Where do we go from here?

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
A previous poster said there was nothing riveting about the 0-21 streak, and I’ll agree for Brad’s last year. But that 0-11 team under Lou was an oddly entertaining group. They were close in a whole bunch of games, and there was budding talent, as proven by the following good years. Plus, we had a new hall-of-fame coach who is more credible when he says the team is about to get better than when our current fearless leader says the same thing.

A few notable lines:

About our offense: No, they’re more like a clicking metronome rocking you quietly to sleep with hypnotic sameness.

The team overall: These Gamecocks are not interesting.

Why it matters that we aren't interesting: Because when interest wanes, it becomes harder and harder to climb out of a ditch: No one particularly cares that you’re stuck there.

Why our offense is boring: Here, South Carolina’s Snoring Offense starts each game by attempting to establish the run, and once it’s emphatically clear they can’t (which it is by the second series or so), the rest of the game is a monotonous parade of screen passes, miscommunications between receivers and quarterbacks, wrong routes, missed blocks, false starts and other incompetence that fails to generate even a flicker of interest.

Reactions: Sending an SOS
The article presents the perfect argument for why we have to cut ties with the current staff. The apathy is building. If we go into the next season with largely the same staff, a significant portion of the fan base will be where they are right now: not caring. Even if Champ was able to make an OC hire, there is no reason for anyone to believe his 3rd OC in 5 years will be successful. A new OC alone will not enough to get fans interested again.

We have been bad before but never this painful to watch. I turned the game off at halftime. I never do that. I won't watch the Clempson game. I gave my tickets away to some students. Raising your child to be a Carolina fan is a form of child abuse I have decided.

Reactions: Cock In Space
A previous poster said there was nothing riveting about the 0-21 streak, and I’ll agree for Brad’s last year. But that 0-11 team under Lou was an oddly entertaining group. They were close in a whole bunch of games, and there was budding talent, as proven by the following good years. Plus, we had a new hall-of-fame coach who is more credible when he says the team is about to get better than when our current fearless leader says the same thing.
We believed in Lou.

The first year with Lou was bad. I think we scored 87 total points that year. But you saw improvement if you were watching. The defense was actually good, real good. Even when we went to the T, you saw a staff not sitting still. Maybe we should try the T now or a power T or a winged T. Could not hurt the running game. Might give us a chance against KKKlempzon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT