ADVERTISEMENT

The AAF is Kaput!!!

Why is that anymore interesting? Watching a bunch of HS kids who you have never heard of play for teams you've never heard of?

Any college kid that would choose playing in the XFL over an established organization like CFB is really taking a huge risk. What happens if the kid gets to the XFL and it folds after a half a season? CFB isn't folding, programs are established, you have better facilities, better coaching, better training, an education, and a better overall experience

The timing is perfect for it. Most of the public and the national media are against the NCAA model because they can't figure out how to pay players. The NFL won't start its own development league, and adheres to their age restriction model. The two organizations are freezing out the 18 - 21 group who want to play professional football and profit from their likeness. Whereas years ago, the media would have surely slammed a top prospect who picked money and playing in a league like the XFL over college, that player would probably be applauded now as a trailblazer.

We'll see what happens, the XFL has to establish itself as a viable league. But there exists an interesting possibility that they could serve as a better stop-gap for some players between high school and the NFL. The competition would be better (yes, every AAF game was played at a higher level than pretty much every college game, just as every NBA G league and multiple European professional leagues are better than college basketball), they can dedicate themselves full time to their profession, and, of course, make money.

Let's say, for instance, Trevor Lawrence has another great year, wins the Heisman... but he has to stay another year at Clemson because he's not draft eligible. Or, he could he could jump to the XFL on a one year $300,000 contract, sign endorsement deals immediately for millions of dollars, and then become draft eligible for next season. Let's say Zach Evans, one of the best high school running back prospects in years, suddenly has some eligibility concerns.... XFL offers him $250,000 a year, guaranteed for 3 years, and draftkings pays him $500,000 to be the face of a marketing campaign. It's not for everyone, but you can start to see a pathway for the league to pick off some notable, marketable talent that people will tune in to watch.

The timing is perfect for it. Most of the public and the national media are against the NCAA model because they can't figure out how to pay players. The NFL won't start its own development league, and adheres to their age restriction model. The two organizations are freezing out the 18 - 21 group who want to play professional football and profit from their likeness. Whereas years ago, the media would have surely slammed a top prospect who picked money and playing in a league like the XFL over college, that player would probably be applauded now as a trailblazer.

We'll see what happens, the XFL has to establish itself as a viable league. But there exists an interesting possibility that they could serve as a better stop-gap for some players between high school and the NFL. The competition would be better (yes, every AAF game was played at a higher level than pretty much every college game, just as every NBA G league and multiple European professional leagues are better than college basketball), they can dedicate themselves full time to their profession, and, of course, make money.

Let's say, for instance, Trevor Lawrence has another great year, wins the Heisman... but he has to stay another year at Clemson because he's not draft eligible. Or, he could he could jump to the XFL on a one year $300,000 contract, sign endorsement deals immediately for millions of dollars, and then become draft eligible for next season. Let's say Zach Evans, one of the best high school running back prospects in years, suddenly has some eligibility concerns.... XFL offers him $250,000 a year, guaranteed for 3 years, and draftkings pays him $500,000 to be the face of a marketing campaign. It's not for everyone, but you can start to see a pathway for the league to pick off some notable, marketable talent that people will tune in to watch.

Won't happen. Why would you leave a place like Clemson where you are a superstar, have TONS of national exposure and play against highly talented competition, to go play in relative obscurity against a bunch of mediocre talent? On top of that, the XFL schedule and practice would interfere with the NFL combine, private workouts, etc. If you're a sure-fire NFL draft pick, you'll get far better development at a place like Clemson or Bama and $300,000 is peanuts for what you'd stand to make in the NFL.

I don't know why people are so desperate to make this work when nobody really wants it. The original XFL folded after a single season. The AAF didn't even make it a full season. Take the hint, people. IF you were going to make this work, do it during the regular football season when people are in football mode. Do games on Friday nights. Guys like me would watch most any football during football season. Particularly on a Friday night after a long week and I'm just waiting for college games on Saturday. It would be something to watch to get me by.

Aside from the quality of the product, which can't really be remedied, the biggest problem is that these leagues are trying to fill a non-existent need. People, for the most part, don't want football in the spring. On the other hand, many fans would take all the football they can get during football season. I'll watch random high school games on ESPN on Friday nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
Won't happen. Why would you leave a place like Clemson where you are a superstar, have TONS of national exposure and play against highly talented competition, to go play in relative obscurity against a bunch of mediocre talent? On top of that, the XFL schedule and practice would interfere with the NFL combine, private workouts, etc. If you're a sure-fire NFL draft pick, you'll get far better development at a place like Clemson or Bama and $300,000 is peanuts for what you'd stand to make in the NFL.

Won't happen with 90% of your top high school/college guys, sure. But there is a 10% that would listen for various reasons, and it only takes a few. That's why the XFL went with Oliver Luck as their commissioner and guys like Bob Stoops. Guys who know the recruiting game and limitations of college football better than anyone. Guys who can say, forget college games and combines, watching our guys on tape in XFL games is way better evaluation tool for the NFL.

Luck has already made it clear: “We certainly believe that we have the ability to sign a guy that’s been out of high school for a year or two years or has played college ball and for whatever reason — academic ineligibility or needs to make some money or is transferring — doesn’t want to sit out a year,” Luck said.

Won't happen with 90% of your top high school/college guys, sure. But there is a 10% that would listen for various reasons, and it only takes a few. That's why the XFL went with Oliver Luck as their commissioner and guys like Bob Stoops. Guys who know the recruiting game and limitations of college football better than anyone. Guys who can say, forget college games and combines, watching our guys on tape in XFL games is way better evaluation tool for the NFL.

Luck has already made it clear: “We certainly believe that we have the ability to sign a guy that’s been out of high school for a year or two years or has played college ball and for whatever reason — academic ineligibility or needs to make some money or is transferring — doesn’t want to sit out a year,” Luck said.

Well, sure, that's what they want to do. That doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I doubt Dundon paid out more than 10-20% max of his $250m commitment. He took ownership when he allocated his money and that was just a few wks ago. Don't forget AAF had CBS TV money, ticket sales and other investors. Dundon obviously wanted it shut down before he got too deep into his pocket. $20mil would pay a lot of players annual salaries at $80k, I can't believe they would not have profited in the final 2 playoff games since most the annual salaries would have been paid at that point.

What I'm shocked about is that the founders didn't have a 3yr business model at the start that should have got them through at least 2 seasons!

Unfortunately, I enjoyed the games I watched just wasn't that many because lack of advertising to remind me of when they were on.
Maybe they were going for a scenario such as is seen in "The Producers".

I don't know why people are so desperate to make this work when nobody really wants it. The original XFL folded after a single season. The AAF didn't even make it a full season. Take the hint, people. IF you were going to make this work, do it during the regular football season when people are in football mode. Do games on Friday nights. Guys like me would watch most any football during football season. Particularly on a Friday night after a long week and I'm just waiting for college games on Saturday. It would be something to watch to get me by.

Aside from the quality of the product, which can't really be remedied, the biggest problem is that these leagues are trying to fill a non-existent need. People, for the most part, don't want football in the spring. On the other hand, many fans would take all the football they can get during football season. I'll watch random high school games on ESPN on Friday nights.

Exactly a guy like TL isn't leaving a place with better coaching, facilities, and trainers for the XFL. Plus, he could easily get his degree in 3 years which means something to a kid like that

I think the only ones they have any chance of getting are those that are academically ineligible...and have little to no chance to make it by going to JUCO. And, perhaps, a few of those who are buried on a roster with little chance to transfer to a P-5 type school.

Well, sure, that's what they want to do. That doesn't mean it's going to happen.

And like I said, that's what makes it interesting. The possibility. It's the one area where the NFL is vulnerable and the NCAA's favorability rating is at about its lowest point ever.

Most running backs are in decline by 27. The NFL essentially limits them to a 5 year window on the rookie scale. The 18 to 21 years should be solid earning time for a running back. It's the same for tight ends. Every other position other than QB is all trending down around 29/30. The myth that guys aren't physically ready is flawed. For most players in every position group, they are as good as they are ever going to be by their second year in the NFL, and they either maintain, slightly increase, slight drop, or massive drop.

Let's say you are a top high school running back. Running backs aren't valued in the NFL, so assume you would be a third round pick by an NFL team. The guaranteed money for a third round pick is only about $800,000. At best, you earn $3.3 million over four years. Now, you're 26 and about to hit your decline. You've wasted 3 earning years in college football-- no contract, no endorsements of any kind. Now, here is your alternative. The XFL offers you $750,000 guaranteed over 3 years for your ages 18 - 21. That might be as much as you ever make in the NFL, and you still have your 22 - 27 earning years to go if it works out. Plus you can immediately seek endorsement deals in your local market.

They may get JUCO type guys , but who really is your audience? No one pays attention to JUCO ball now and there is no reason to pay attention to a league full of names no one has heard of outside of the few people who obsess over recruiting.

Vince is an amazing marketer and has a good business mind, but he's failed with the XFL and his bodybuilding show before. He's thought this out better than the first time, but this league is a long shot

Honestly love him or hate him , I don’t see Vince Failing twice . If anyone can make it happen it’s him , especially if he co markets it with the WWE and can get guys like the Rock and Stone Cold to endorse and make appearances . The odds are definitely stacked against him but Vince is one of the greatest promoters of all time with unlimited dollars to throw away . Will be interesting .

Honestly love him or hate him , I don’t see Vince Failing twice . If anyone can make it happen it’s him , especially if he co markets it with the WWE and can get guys like the Rock and Stone Cold to endorse and make appearances . The odds are definitely stacked against him but Vince is one of the greatest promoters of all time with unlimited dollars to throw away . Will be interesting .

I just don't see what's changed. The same problems that killed the XFL the first time also doomed the AAF still face the new iteration of the XFL.

Possibly. But the cross-promotion didn't exactly work last time. They had The Undertaker, The Rock and Chris Jericho making appearances at the games and Jerry "The King" Lawler was calling the Orlando Rage game I went to, sitting two rows in front of me.

Someone in the national media put pretty succinctly: It wasn't football enough for the football crowd. And it wasn't wrestling enough for the wrestling crowd.

It may work out. But if it does, I can't imagine it'll be be because of cross-promotion.

Last edited:
If it does work, what will it mean for college football? Will it become diluted like NCAA basketball has? Are we seeing the end of an era in the popularity of college football as we know it?

If it does work, what will it mean for college football? Will it become diluted like NCAA basketball has? Are we seeing the end of an era in the popularity of college football as we know it?

It won't work.

All of these exact same discussion took place when the AAF was announced. "It really could work because..."

Possibly. But the cross-promotion didn't exactly work last time. They had The Undertaker, The Rock and Chris Jericho making appearances at the games and Jerry "The King" Lawler was calling the Orlando Rage game I went to, sitting two rows in front of me.

Someone in the national media put pretty succinctly: It wasn't football enough for the football crowd. And it wasn't wrestling enough for the wrestling crowd.

It may work out. But if it does, I can't imagine it'll be be because of cross-promotion.

I don't see how having a wrestler at games helps one iota.

Reactions: rogue cock
It won't work.

All of these exact same discussion took place when the AAF was announced. "It really could work because..."

AAF used the same eligibility requirements as the NFL. They simply took players who never made it to the NFL in any real way, or had washed out of the NFL. And, yet, still tried to partner with the NFL as a developmental league when they weren't taking on the players in any kind of developmental stage-- ages 18 to 22. They essentially wanted to be year-round extensions of an NFL practices squad, which was a model that made no sense. There was never a chance anyone really worth watching was going to be playing in the AAF. The XFL isn't limiting themselves in the same way.

It won't change anything immediately or drastically, but...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Already a Pro Talent, Clemson Superstar Justyn Ross Willing to Wait for Payday- an insight into the decisions once the XFL enters the fold in 2020

The question is posed, and Ross reveals what many in college and pro football already believe. "There are guys right now in college football that would take that money and run," he says.

Asked if he'd be tempted, Ross says: "Yes and no. Because if you automatically go to a league out of high school, eventually you can get your college education. But at least being on that scholarship for one year, it will give you the idea of how important it is and why you should come back and get your education.

"If [the XFL] is offering that kind of money, that's hard for an 18- or 19-year-old to turn down," Ross says. "If you really need that money, oh yeah, go do that. Something could happen. You can get hurt. Anything can happen. You have to take care of yourself because it can be over just like that."

It won't change anything immediately or drastically, but...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Already a Pro Talent, Clemson Superstar Justyn Ross Willing to Wait for Payday- an insight into the decisions once the XFL enters the fold in 2020

The question is posed, and Ross reveals what many in college and pro football already believe. "There are guys right now in college football that would take that money and run," he says.

Asked if he'd be tempted, Ross says: "Yes and no. Because if you automatically go to a league out of high school, eventually you can get your college education. But at least being on that scholarship for one year, it will give you the idea of how important it is and why you should come back and get your education.

"If [the XFL] is offering that kind of money, that's hard for an 18- or 19-year-old to turn down," Ross says. "If you really need that money, oh yeah, go do that. Something could happen. You can get hurt. Anything can happen. You have to take care of yourself because it can be over just like that."
If players do decide to go this route I hope they understand the risks of going into a league with no guarantee of it continuing. What would happen to the guys that enter the league and play for 1 season straight out of high school and have the league fold on them? They would have to wait 2 more years before they could play in the NFL and their draft stock would be ruined.

Reactions: rogue cock
Maybe they were going for a scenario such as is seen in "The Producers".
I'm guessing the founders paid themselves handsomely and then realized it was going to take more work than they realized. They found themselves with an opportunity to make millions and if it gets shut down then "so what!"

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT