ADVERTISEMENT

The coldest game you ever attended at W-B?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
For me it was the Arkansas game when Blake Mitchell was the QB. This was maybe SOS's 2nd or 3rd year, I can't remember for sure. But in all of my years attending games at W-B since 1971 that game was BY FAR the coldest game I personally ever attended.

Now, by no means have I attended every game since 1971, not even close.

Last edited:
Florida in 95 I think. Rode up with friends on spur of the moment, drank too much at the tailgate thinking it would act as antifreeze, then got to stadium and wound up buying about 13 sweatshirts and $200 worth of coffee to try and stay warm. I think I got hypothermia. I might've had frostbite. My snot froze.
And Florida won 163 to -7 or something like that.

That was probably the worst game I ever attended in my life, in any sport, ever.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Florida in 95 I think. Rode up with friends on spur of the moment, drank too much at the tailgate thinking it would act as antifreeze, then got to stadium and wound up buying about 13 sweatshirts and $200 worth of coffee to try and stay warm. I think I got hypothermia. I might've had frostbite. My snot froze.

That was probably the worst game I ever attended in my life, in any sport, ever.

I didn't get to attend that game but I have read where a number of posters over the years said that was the coldest game they ever attended. But as I said in my OP that Arkansas game was the coldest for me and there not even a close 2nd. But I'm pretty sure I haven't even attended a fourth of the games since my first game at W-B in 1971.

Reactions: SCexpat38

That one and FSU in 1988. Neither game was helped by us getting killed.

Tennessee game a few years back when we lost in OT. Was 35 and wind chill of 25. Brought the wife down for her first game at Willie B. Needless to say she will not be going back....good thing is she won’t be stopping me.

Reactions: uscfootfan
Arkansas. Just about froze. The second coldest was in Clemson ice snow game when Dobby Grossman was Qb. One guy at the top of the hill was sitting on plastic he started sliding and wiped the whole west side of the hill out. I laughed my butt off

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

My dad went to the game. It was frigid. He said he didn't remember Fred Taylor being tackled the entire game. Burnham defense versus Spurrier in his prime: bad outcome.

Arkansas. Just about froze. The second coldest was in Clemson ice snow game when Dobby Grossman was Qb. One guy at the top of the hill was sitting on plastic he started sliding and wiped the whole west side of the hill out. I laughed my butt off

That quempsum game was in '72, I attended that game.

EDIT: I still have my ticket. It was such bad weather that particular gate attendant didn't even take up our tickets. At the start of the game the dung valley wasn't even half full. The weather improved 2nd half and more people came into the stadium. However, with such a small crowd there we sat on 50 yard line.

Last edited:
I think it depends on where you sit. For me it was Arkansas. We sat top row below club in the lower level and that wind felt like it was owing 20mph. It was cold. I remember leaving the house in the upstate that morning and it being 19. It was 14 earlier.

Reactions: julie10

Was at that game. Lived in TN at the time but was visiting in Cola with my parents that weekend. Some friends, probably suspecting a bad game, gave us a couple tickets. I was 17 and was still in that naive stage where I thought we could win every game. I fully expected us to win. Taneyhill was going to go OFF. Didn't help that our seats were pretty high up. Cold, drizzly, windy. But I stayed until the bitter, bitter, bitter end.

Reactions: SCexpat38

Yeah final was 63-7. Spurrier called timeout late and racked on an extra TD when the clock could’ve run out. If I recall, we had a player get injured on that play as well.

Not only was it freezing, but it was raining as well. If it’s not the coldest game, it was probably the most miserable.

Yeah final was 63-7. Spurrier called timeout late and racked on an extra TD when the clock could’ve run out. If I recall, we had a player get injured on that play as well.

Not only was it freezing, but it was raining as well. If it’s not the coldest game, it was probably the most miserable.

Absolutely the most miserable. I was so amped up that we were gong to shock the world and win. It was a blowout from essentially the coin toss.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I guess I will...we never got that version of Spurrier here.

Absolutely the most miserable. I was so amped up that we were gong to shock the world and win. It was a blowout from essentially the coin toss.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I guess I will...we never got that version of Spurrier here.

He probably would’ve done it...we had some good teams but we we didn’t have the kind of athletes across the board that Spurrier had at Florida. If the Nebraska Dynasty wasn’t during the same time, Spurrier probably wins 3-4 National Titles. As good as Alabama is now, I’m not sure anyone has dominated the SEC like Spurriers mid-90’s teams did. Oddly enough, about the only team that could beat either of them was Auburn.

It’s a shame that Auburn - Florida game isn’t played more often. Was usually a classic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT