ADVERTISEMENT

The Grope Thread

their only apology is for getting caught. The taters happily say they do this all the time. No doubt they get big laughs from this behavior when watching the replays in slow motion, in the film room. There is absolutely no doubt that all the coaches know about this game they have been playing and probably encouraged it. This is nothing more than a challenge of who can go deeper.

It would be nice for someone on the taters team to stand up against this activity and be a leader..

I think it is important to repeat the issue here isnt neccessarily what they did, which was still a bit bizarre, its more to do with the condoning and redirecting of it by the team afterwards.

No the issue IS what the player did. To say it isn't is tacit approval.

giphy.gif

I think you are dissecting ants because you will find fault in everything Clemson says or does.

Dan Patrick didn't think it was "dissecting ants." Nice Pub for the upstate goat lovers.

The "chokehold
"
Jackson was trying to gain more yards; BB was trying to stop him. During the pace of the game, the defense will grab what ever they can to prevent more yards. Sometimes, you grab the facemask, the collar or even around the neck. Most of the time you don't realize it because everything happens so fast. Now, I do think BB realized he had him around the neck when the play was over and held on after the whistle or got a quick squeeze and LJ didn't like it. Probably could have been a personal foul if the referee saw it. But it is no different than the pushing and shoving or trash talking that goes on. For example, when a player is trying to make a tackle and inadvertently grabs the facemask and turns the helmet around. Typically it is not grabbed on purpose, but they typically don't let go because it happens so fast. Or when a defense players gets pissed off because he is blocked until the whistle when the play is on the other side of the field.

The "racial slurs"
BAW specifically said it was a white OL. But he didn't know his name, number or what he looked like, yet CU only has 3 while OL. It's unfortunate if it happened, but I don't buy this story for one sec. Do you really think black players on CU's team would be OK with a white teammate using that word even if directed to the opponent? I think the story was made up in the heat of the moment from the loss or that it was the black players using the word. The fact that the story dies out after a day or two speaks volumes.

The "nut grab"
There is no excuse for this. Unfortunately, eye poking, spitting in the face, nut grabbing, punching etc goes on in the bottom of piles. I guess it is done to get a mental advantage. Doesn't make it right, but it happens. Wilkins landed his hand on the opponents ass and in a split second thought he could sneak a nut squeeze and it look inadvertent. Instead he did it out in the open and got busted. Kids do stupid things and this was stupid. If you think other teams (including SC) don't do this too, you're dead wrong. But to say it constitutes a culture being fostered by the coaches is not accurate. It's the culture of football, but maybe it's an issue that needs to be addressed, especially in the day of more and more sexual assault.

The "racial slurs"
BAW specifically said it was a white OL. But he didn't know his name, number or what he looked like, yet CU only has 3 while OL. It's unfortunate if it happened, but I don't buy this story for one sec. Do you really think black players on CU's team would be OK with a white teammate using that word even if directed to the opponent? I think the story was made up in the heat of the moment from the loss or that it was the black players using the word. The fact that the story dies out after a day or two speaks volumes.

First, the story did not die out. The media was still asking questions about it before the bowl game with USF.

If anything, the newest revelations only corroborate that the Gamecock players were telling the truth about an OL'man making a racial slur. It is completely believable now in light of Boulware's remarks. The Clemson OL was just trying to get into the Gamecock DE's head and gain an advantage by using the racial slurs. This is OK in the Clemson mindset because they gain an advantage. Maybe the Gamecock lineman throws a punch and gets ejected. Laugh about it later. Using a racial slur is totally in keeping with the out of bounds nut grabs and sticking fingers into assholes. I now more than ever believe the Gamecock players. The racial slurs happened.

Reactions: rogue cock
I will not allow your accusation of calling BAW a liar go unchallenged. You do not know BAW. Everything we know about him leads us to believe he is a fine HONEST, upstanding young man. I believe BAW. Go back to your Clemson board and spout your garbage.

I think you are dissecting ants because you will find fault in everything Clemson says or does.

The "chokehold"
Jackson was trying to gain more yards; BB was trying to stop him. During the pace of the game, the defense will grab what ever they can to prevent more yards. Sometimes, you grab the facemask, the collar or even around the neck. Most of the time you don't realize it because everything happens so fast. Now, I do think BB realized he had him around the neck when the play was over and held on after the whistle or got a quick squeeze and LJ didn't like it. Probably could have been a personal foul if the referee saw it. But it is no different than the pushing and shoving or trash talking that goes on. For example, when a player is trying to make a tackle and inadvertently grabs the facemask and turns the helmet around. Typically it is not grabbed on purpose, but they typically don't let go because it happens so fast. Or when a defense players gets pissed off because he is blocked until the whistle when the play is on the other side of the field.

The "racial slurs"

The "nut grab"
There is no excuse for this. Unfortunately, eye poking, spitting in the face, nut grabbing, punching etc goes on in the bottom of piles. I guess it is done to get a mental advantage. Doesn't make it right, but it happens. Wilkins landed his hand on the opponents ass and in a split second thought he could sneak a nut squeeze and it look inadvertent. Instead he did it out in the open and got busted. Kids do stupid things and this was stupid. If you think other teams (including SC) don't do this too, you're dead wrong. But to say it constitutes a culture being fostered by the coaches is not accurate. It's the culture of football, but maybe it's an issue that needs to be addressed, especially in the day of more and more sexual assault.

For the folks that don't think this kind of stuff goes on .

Even if this photo is real, which it certainly doesn't appear to be, there is a huge difference between an accidental grab while trying to make a tackle and grabbing on purpose after the player was down and whistle blown. The stretch youre attempting to make is as bad as the phot shopped picture you posted.

Can you imagine this happening if Tom Price was in charge of the press conferences?

Clemson has had two press conferences in the last 6 weeks that injected steroids into controversial stories that were on the cusp of petering out. The response from some up there and the silence from others in charge up there is quite disappointing.

Reactions: Combahee Cock

The "chokehold"

The "racial slurs"

The "nut grab"

You can't be serious defending the choke hold? Perhaps you should re-watch the play so you can see for yourself that Boulware's response is pure BS. Boulware's arm remained wrenched around Jackson's neck after he was on the ground and the whistle had blown. Other players were getting up from the pile, but Boulware's arm was still wrenched around Jackson's neck. Boulware did not release until Jackson began flailing his arms around to get the referee's attention.
Be sure to come back Tuesday to defend whatever shananigans Boulware pulls Monday night. Hopefully he pulls the one where he's burned in coverage, then throws his hands up in the air like what just happened....

The problem is that if you throw a punch for some bs thing like this you get tossed. My guess is that refs will be on the lookout for this stuff and warn both coaches before t game.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...tar_cam_robinson_on_c.html#incart_2box_sports
I wonder what would have happen if the Ohio State player had realized what was going on at the time and took a swing at him.

Would both have gotten in trouble or would the Ohio State player get left off the hook because another player purposely grabbed him in the crotch?

I wonder what would have happen if the Ohio State player had realized what was going on at the time and took a swing at him.

Would both have gotten in trouble or would the Ohio State player get left off the hook because another player purposely grabbed him in the crotch?
Only the OSU player, I'm certain. Maybe this is also a way the clemmers are looking to get some unsportsmanlike flags thrown against the opposition knowing their touchy-feely won't get whistled, but retaliation will....

I understand many of you are young and may not know. James Dickey, author of Deliverance and many other fine works of literary, was poet in residence and an instructor at The University of South Carolina. I worked as a student tending bar at the McCutchen House which was then The Faculty Club. Professor Dickey would often sit at my bar for lunch. He always ordered the seafood soup du jour and two double gin martinis. Loved to talk sports. He wasn't real fond of Clemson, he was a Gamecock. #Forever to thee!

I've played sports all my life, and watched sports all of my life and that was the most bizarre act I have ever witnessed in a football game. There are lots of things that go on on the bottom of the pile, but I have never seen somebody walk over in clear view of the officials and and millions of witnesses and reach down and grab somebody by their privates. To top it off, have the head coach go into a press conference
before the national championship game and say: "Oh that was Christian being goofy, if you know him, he just likes to do silly things" makes it even more bizarre.

It would have been nice to have Dabo answer by saying something to the effect, that the act reflected badly on Clemson and give assurances that that kind of behavior won't happen again. Instead you get
a response that was Dabo being goofy and Ben Boulware saying in effect you're a loser if somebody hasn't groped you in a sporting event. This is WEIRD STUFF.
true. I didn't see the presser where DS said that. But as much as it has been in the press, I agree that DS should have addressed it and said it will not happen again.

You can't be serious defending the choke hold? Perhaps you should re-watch the play so you can see for yourself that Boulware's response is pure BS. Boulware's arm remained wrenched around Jackson's neck after he was on the ground and the whistle had blown. Other players were getting up from the pile, but Boulware's arm was still wrenched around Jackson's neck. Boulware did not release until Jackson began flailing his arms around to get the referee's attention.
Be sure to come back Tuesday to defend whatever shananigans Boulware pulls Monday night. Hopefully he pulls the one where he's burned in coverage, then throws his hands up in the air like what just happened....
Not defending it...at least I'm not trying to. BB is an intense player and just stating I don't think he initially did it on purpose, but (like I said before) once he realized how he had him, he tried to get a little extra. I said it probably should have been a personal foul...maybe the ref didn't see it, IDK. But just because he did it doesn't make him a dirty player. If it does, then every player who draws a personal foul is a dirty player.

Your defense of this assault...as boys will be boys...is exactly what the OP is hitting on. If Wilkins or boulware did that as Gamecocks, I'd be appalled. You can try to justify it, or excuse it, all you want. But, the truth is there's no place where it should be acceptable. The lack of clempson's administration and cheer coach condemning these assaults speaks volumes about the cult-like environment in Pickens county. That boulware says they've been doing it all year long shows premeditation and perhaps coaching.

By the way...your attempt to pivot these assaults to USC is truly pathetic. Without any evidence, you're simply attempting to deflect (weakly).

Please reread the post...I'm not defending Wilkins actions. I said unfortunately it happens and should probably be addressed. My argument is just because it was caught on camera doesn't make it a culture at Clemson or anywhere for that matter.

Not defending it...at least I'm not trying to. BB is an intense player and just stating I don't think he initially did it on purpose, but (like I said before) once he realized how he had him, he tried to get a little extra. I said it probably should have been a personal foul...maybe the ref didn't see it, IDK. But just because he did it doesn't make him a dirty player. If it does, then every player who draws a personal foul is a dirty player.

No you were trying to defend it, you implied Boulware was doing it because Jackson was trying to get extra yards. That clearly isn't what happened. Boulware is getting blasted by every media outlet there is for saying that sticking your hand up or in opponents privates is part of the game, and that Clemson's been doing it all year. Meanwhile Dabo remains silent and says he has said all he intends to say on the subject.

Clemmies decide to 'play ball' as usual. You know. Getting overly chummy with Saban's boys.

For decades, Bama has been the elite of the elite in college football. 'Roll Tide' - too many NC's and SEC championships to count - super legendary coaches - no other college football program can compare to 'The Tide'.

Bama's teams are nearly always serious, focused, no nonsense, but above all - they win. Even though their rivalry with Auburn is one of the most bitter cross state rivalries in America, they also have super rivals in LSU, Tennessee, UF, UGA in the SEC and SoCal, Texas, OU and others on a national level . . . and I don't ever recall in all the years that I've watched Bama play on tv (and a few times 'live') a wholesale brawl involving the Tide - actually, I don't recall much pushing, shoving, jawing, late hitting . . . let alone any, ahem, 'touching' techniques. Bama is just too damn good. Too professional acting. Too disciplined.

We shall see . . . soon.

I will not allow your accusation of calling BAW a liar go unchallenged. You do not know BAW. Everything we know about him leads us to believe he is a fine HONEST, upstanding young man. I believe BAW. Go back to your Clemson board and spout your garbage.
I don't believe him, at least I don't believe it was said by a white player on the Clemson team. Maybe I am wrong, Im entitled to my opinion just as you are.. But it doesn't make sense for white guy on the team to use a derogatory word that would be equally offensive to his own teammates. I could see it happening between two black players as the word is not (typically) derogatory when used between blacks. Maybe that's what happened and he made it out to be more than it was and the media took off with it. I just think he was mad about the game and trying to direct attention away from the loss. IMO, if it really happened, he would know a name, a face or a jersey number. I'm sure he is a good kid, I just think he got caught up in the moment. At the same time, if proof comes out that it really did happen, then I think it is saddening because there is no place for that.

Clemmies decide to 'play ball' as usual. You know. Getting overly chummy with Saban's boys.

For decades, Bama has been the elite of the elite in college football. 'Roll Tide' - too many NC's and SEC championships to count - super legendary coaches - no other college football program can compare to 'The Tide'.

Bama's teams are nearly always serious, focused, no nonsense, but above all - they win. Even though their rivalry with Auburn is one of the most bitter cross state rivalries in America, they also have super rivals in LSU, Tennessee, UF, UGA in the SEC and SoCal, Texas, OU and others on a national level . . . and I don't ever recall in all the years that I've watched Bama play on tv (and a few times 'live') a wholesale brawl involving the Tide - actually, I don't recall much pushing, shoving, jawing, late hitting . . . let alone any, ahem, 'touching' techniques. Bama is just too damn good. Too professional acting. Too disciplined.

We shall see . . . soon.
Saban should go up to Dabo before the game an tell him "Your boys do NOT have permission to grab my players in their crotch or to put fingers in their ass. And if they do I have instructed the legal authorities to step out on the field and arrest them for sexual assault. In Alabama, we do not consent to such actions on the football field."

Please reread the post...I'm not defending Wilkins actions. I said unfortunately it happens and should probably be addressed. My argument is just because it was caught on camera doesn't make it a culture at Clemson or anywhere for that matter.

OK...I re-read your post. Here are your very own words...

The "nut grab"

You said it's the "culture of football"...C'mon Man...show me where this is happening in anywhere else. Boulware stated that they've been doing it all year long. How is that not only premeditated, but also practiced and normalized within the culture of that tater team??? The fact that the coaches have done nothing to condemn it, shows that they condone it...that is to say they foster an environment where those acts are accepted.

No you were trying to defend it, you implied Boulware was doing it because Jackson was trying to get extra yards. That clearly isn't what happened. Boulware is getting blasted by every media outlet there is for saying that sticking your hand up or in opponents privates is part of the game, and that Clemson's been doing it all year. Meanwhile Dabo remains silent and says he has said all he intends to say on the subject.

That's right, because when your opponent is trying to get extra yards, you do everything in your power to prevent him from doing do. That being said...

1.) I don't think his intent to tackle around the neck was on purpose. Why? because horse collar is a 15 yd penalty.
2.) I do think he realized he had him by the neck when the play was over and held on too long.
3.) I do think he should have probably been flagged for it.
4.) This does not make him a "dirty" player.

I have said nothing to defend BB comments about the "violation." His comments about it were tasteless and Wilkins action was tasteless as well. Anyway, I will leave it and we can agree to disagree on my other points.

bama players have already addresed this issue and offered a warning.I seriously doubt that any of this sillyness will occur again.I would also imagine Clemson has addresed this issue with players due to all the negative publicity it has created.

OK...I re-read your post. Here are your very own words...

The "nut grab"

You said it's the "culture of football"...C'mon Man...show me where this is happening in anywhere else. Boulware stated that they've been doing it all year long. How is that not only premeditated, but also practiced and normalized within the culture of that tater team??? The fact that the coaches have done nothing to condemn it, shows that they condone it...that is to say they foster an environment where those acts are accepted.

you got me, it does sound like I am contradicting myself. Basically, I am trying to say it happens everywhere at every level. Maybe not EVERY school, but you know what I mean. But watch games between rivals or where tempers start to flare. Watch the piles closely and you can see extra stuff going on. You don't see it much on TV because the camera rarely catch it...unless you stupidly do it out in the open like Wilkins. Either way, it doesn't make it right and I certainly don't want to come across as justifying it. I played football (be it a long time ago) but I've been spit in the face, eye gaulged and even punched in the nuts at the bottom of the pile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT