ADVERTISEMENT

The speed in which these cancellations are coming in will lead to mass panic

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
People are already hitting stores hard and heavy and at the rate they are cancelling things right now, everyone will read it as the world ending and there will be mass panic like never seen in these times. I understand the cancellations but perhaps they could have waited and made all decisions at one time and announce together rather than having a new major event cancelled every hour. It makes it seem like it is a tsunami coming and we have to run away immediately.
I do truly understand precautions but hope they do not rush to close schools. That will lead to even worse actions and bigger problems all around. With all they are doing, I sure hope it works.

And if you do go out and are able to maintain a semi-normal schedule, I'd encourage you to support local, independent businesses, many of which may have a very slim margin for surviving something like this. For example, the semi-closure of USC is going to hit a lot of restaurants, bars and other downtown businesses in Columbia pretty hard.

I'm afraid with social media and the 24/7 news cycle - and a reactionary culture these days - panic is almost inevitable.
What's gonna tick me off is when we need to go to the store to buy our normal amount of TP, because what we bought a couple of weeks ago has run out, that all the hoarding id10ts will have depleted the shelves, so the one 12roll pack we were gonna buy isn't available.

Schools are already closing around the country. I know Clemson is moving to online classes. Dozens of other countries around the world have already done the same thing.

I'm afraid with social media and the 24/7 news cycle - and a reactionary culture these days - panic is almost inevitable.
What's gonna tick me off is when we need to go to the store to buy our normal amount of TP, because what we bought a couple of weeks ago has run out, that all the hoarding id10ts will have depleted the shelves, so the one 12roll pack we were gonna buy isn't available.
I ran in walmart this morning just to get some waters for work and the TP shelves were completely empty

People are already hitting stores hard and heavy and at the rate they are cancelling things right now, everyone will read it as the world ending and there will be mass panic like never seen in these times. I understand the cancellations but perhaps they could have waited and made all decisions at one time and announce together rather than having a new major event cancelled every hour. It makes it seem like it is a tsunami coming and we have to run away immediately.
I do truly understand precautions but hope they do not rush to close schools. That will lead to even worse actions and bigger problems all around. With all they are doing, I sure hope it works.
It is happening this way because our response from the top was completely disjointed and misguided. Our politicians (BOTH sides) saw it as an opportunity for a power grab instead of an emergency they need to protect us from. Shame on our government for the petulant, disjointed politicized, polarizing response. This should be a unifying event where politicians put their differences aside and come together to help us navigate the tough road ahead. Instead they whine and fight and cry like a bunch of children. “Wahhh I won’t sit in a room with her or talk to her because she was mean to me and ripped up my speech”... “I won’t work with him because he is a big dummy who bullies people and says stuff I don’t like”... GET TF OVER IT AND DO YOUR JOB OR YOU WILL ALL BE REPLACED. That is the message I have for Trump, Pelosi and every single one of the mindless idiots we have running our country today. The real kicker is we will have JOE FN BIDEN as our next president most likely now? The head KING IDIOT!?! If he was my client I would be submitting a PDMC case on him, not voting for him to run our country! SMH... We are all doomed.

If people could follow direction (and we would test...) this thing could be eradicated in 14 days. But because the country is inherently reactionary we get to read about how the media is over blowing things and this is all an over reaction becuase mom knows best (f*ck academics - right?!).

If we had a leder who would simply stop the bullshitting we could make some headway. That said, the number two guy, as much as I truly despise his beliefs, is doing a pretty good job and rightly contradicting his boss with correct information.

Reactions: howard13
If people could follow direction (and we would test...) this thing could be eradicated in 14 days. But because the country is inherently reactionary we get to read about how the media is over blowing things and this is all an over reaction becuase mom knows best (f*ck academics - right?!).

If we had a leder who would simply stop the bullshitting we could make some headway. That said, the number two guy, as much as I truly despise his beliefs, is doing a pretty good job and rightly contradicting his boss with correct information.
Your last statement is true. Pence being a voice of reason amid the chaos is the last thing I expected. He seems to be taking serious how history will remember his role averting this crisis.

Reactions: Buzzkill1

The media could do a better job of assuaging fear and panic though. Every minute doesn't have to be about the latest new case or most recent death. There is promising news about treatments, the recovery rate in China, how this doesn't really seem to seriously affect people under 40, etc. Just sprinkling some of that between the dread would be psychologically helpful, I think. And also adding more coverage about other news stories besides this, just to give people a mental break during the constant news cycle.

I appreciate the job Vice-President Pence has done thus far as well. I know it may be superficial, but he has a calmer voice and even look than the POTUS, and I think that helps put people at ease.

What did he say in his address last night that was bullshit.. I didn't see him politicizing it and he was very good at explaining the next move. Where was the bullshit

Reactions: king ward
What did he say in his address last night that was bullshit.. I didn't see him politicizing it and he was very good at explaining the next move. Where was the bullshit
There was no BS. The issue is the ignorance of citizens believing everything the media says..including bashing our great President..

The problem is IF you are test and test position there is no treatment. It's like if you tested positive for Alzheimers- then what

I ran in walmart this morning just to get some waters for work and the TP shelves were completely empty
I think some of this has to do with shifts in production and not just panic buying. The paper companies are having to make a lot more paper masks, gowns, and other products for the medical industry and less of the normal paper products - or at least that is what I've been told.

The problem is IF you are test and test position there is no treatment. It's like if you tested positive for Alzheimers- then what

Most likely, you get something like a bad cold, if that. You may in fact never have symptoms at all. That's quite likely even if you're older, if you're relatively healthy. I'm 71, so in the group more likely to have serious symptoms, and I'm not losing any sleep over it. Wash your hands, keep them away from your face, and avoid crowded places. Get medical treatment ASAP if you develop symptoms. Otherwise, keep calm and carry on.

Reactions: 92Pony

Don't see or listen very well do you. The great leader still thinks it's all about him and he heaped praise on his response which has been way short of how it should have been. Tests are still in very short supply or unavailable and results are wa...y too long in coming back. A teleprompter is unable to make his nonsense completely true or understandable.

supply

Reactions: rhinocock72
The address he made to the people last night was the first time he has made a public comment on the issue that was reasonable, measured and might have actually helped. It was a complete 180 from every comment he had made previously where he was tossing out made up stats and projections, ignoring expert opinions and even implying he himself knows more about this virus than medical experts because he “has an intuition about these things”... and other comparably worthless and downright WRECKLESS statements. Until last night, our entire government’s public reaction to the crisis has been not just disgusting, embarrassing and disgraceful but also absolutely dangerous. Our government and the CDC has the blood of hundreds of dead people on their hands and more is spilling every second.

Most likely, you get something like a bad cold, if that. You may in fact never have symptoms at all. That's quite likely even if you're older, if you're relatively healthy. I'm 71, so in the group more likely to have serious symptoms, and I'm not losing any sleep over it. Wash your hands, keep them away from your face, and avoid crowded places. Get medical treatment ASAP if you develop symptoms. Otherwise, keep calm and carry on.
If you catch the actual virus, while a few people have had only minor symptoms- mostly kids- you are very likely to experience a severe respiratory illness and symptoms comparable to the flu with body aches, upset stomach (vomiting/ mud butt * technical terminology only obviously), horrible coughing and dizziness. To imply it is LIKELY to be/ IOW as if MOST cases are only a mild cold is just not accurate. You are far from receiving a death sentence with a positive diagnosis but the vast majority of adults who contract it are experience way more than mild cold like symptoms.

Don't see or listen very well do you. The great leader still thinks it's all about him and he heaped praise on his response which has been way short of how it should have been. Tests are still in very short supply or unavailable and results are wa...y too long in coming back. A teleprompter is unable to make his nonsense completely true or understandable.

supply
You can insult all you want .bI listen very well, I just don't have hate brewing inside me to where anything someone says is bad. Move on dude, he's the President not you. If you think you would be better at it,vrun for office. Until then, you can take your opinion of me and shove it up your ass. Typical.

The address he made to the people last night was the first time he has made a public comment on the issue that was reasonable, measured and might have actually helped. It was a complete 180 from every comment he had made previously where he was tossing out made up stats and projections, ignoring expert opinions and even implying he himself knows more about this virus than medical experts because he “has an intuition about these things”... and other comparably worthless and downright WRECKLESS statements. Until last night, our entire government’s public reaction to the crisis has been not just disgusting, embarrassing and disgraceful but also absolutely dangerous. Our government and the CDC has the blood of hundreds of dead people on their hands and more is spilling every second.
That's just nonsense.. How many lives do you think he saved by banning traffic from China in the first couple weeks. He was called racist for doing that, by the way

The media feed the people what they want right back to them. People get desperate for info on stuff like this, the media talks about it. I don't see the point in blaming "the media." People realize they are bankrolled by the same big money corporations that lose out if the stock market crashes right?

Reactions: NC_cock_fan
That's just nonsense.. How many lives do you think he saved by banning traffic from China in the first couple weeks. He was called racist for doing that, by the way
That is not nonsense. The CDC has refused to test people who are sick- that is our government dropping the ball simply to limit the confirmed cases we have to report and it is born of a political motive from pressure at the top. I am not attacking Trump alone as I said multiple times this has been miss handled by the entire government, both parties, from the top down. The miss-information, the childish fighting, the lack of a cohesive strategy has been staggering and has cost us valuable time, lead to a more rapid spread and quite literally has cost people their lives.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT