ADVERTISEMENT

The truth about college baseball

superflyby

Mar 12, 2007
Monroe NC
The regular season is what I call "the silly season". You play for a position in the regional ( hope to host) and the super regional (again, hope to host ) and then the real season starts for a trip to the CWS. The end of the season tournament is even a drain on a possible regional run. If we can at least win enough to make a regional (very possible) or maybe host a regional ( highly unlikely) then you can put the "silly season" behind you. I don't like that we are losing so badly and don't seem to be a good hitting, fielding or good pitching team. That doesn't mean we are totally a bust for the year....at least not yet. I would love to see us get the wins to get to a regional and then get hot like we have done in the past when it counts. If we do that then the Holbrook questions will subside for another year. If not....wow it's going to be a long off season for Gamecock baseball.....

This team may not make Hoover! I don't see us winning any against Vandy, LSU or A&M! Just being a realist based on what have seen so far

Originally posted by superflyby:
The regular season is what I call "the silly season". You play for a position in the regional ( hope to host) and the super regional (again, hope to host ) and then the real season starts for a trip to the CWS. The end of the season tournament is even a drain on a possible regional run. If we can at least win enough to make a regional (very possible) or maybe host a regional ( highly unlikely) then you can put the "silly season" behind you. I don't like that we are losing so badly and don't seem to be a good hitting, fielding or good pitching team. That doesn't mean we are totally a bust for the year....at least not yet. I would love to see us get the wins to get to a regional and then get hot like we have done in the past when it counts. If we do that then the Holbrook questions will subside for another year. If not....wow it's going to be a long off season for Gamecock baseball.....
lol.

we arent hosting and i'd say our chances of making a regional are less than 50%.

Originally posted by xrayder:
This team may not make Hoover! I don't see us winning any against Vandy, LSU or A&M! Just being a realist based on what have seen so far
Go 0-9 against that trio, and the Chad lovers will stalk somewhere else!

This is not about Kool Aid or a relationship to a coach. It's about what could happen. When I lived in Irmo I attended most of the baseball games. I have been a faithful fan since the early days of Bobby Richardson, so this bothers me as much as anyone. I was just stating the fact that if we can win enough games to get into a regional then the season starts there and the regular season has nothing to do with what happens from that point on. We have the talent and I think it is being misused or not coached very well, so the coaches don't get a free pass from me on that. We shall see but if we don't at the very least qualify for a regional then it's a total failure that lies at the feet of this staff. Nothing more or nothing less.....

Originally posted by superflyby:
This is not about Kool Aid or a relationship to a coach. It's about what could happen. When I lived in Irmo I attended most of the baseball games. I have been a faithful fan since the early days of Bobby Richardson, so this bothers me as much as anyone. I was just stating the fact that if we can win enough games to get into a regional then the season starts there and the regular season has nothing to do with what happens from that point on. We have the talent and I think it is being misused or not coached very well, so the coaches don't get a free pass from me on that. We shall see but if we don't at the very least qualify for a regional then it's a total failure that lies at the feet of this staff. Nothing more or nothing less.....
You might be the only one that thinks we have the talent. This team is not that good regardless of who is coaching it.
If you have been following the program a long time, you'll remember Ray had some teams that didn't have the talent.
Look up 2005-2009. That came after 3 World Series and a national championship game in 2002. It happens.

There's nothing "silly" about the regular season. Getting off to a slow start is one thing, but barely qualifying for a regional and hoping to magically get hot is another. This team has no chance of contending for a title, and will likely get squashed on the road in a regional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT