ADVERTISEMENT

These cancellations could be the death

If this leads to a protracted ban on large public gatherings... it may be the death of pro sports in general.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Yep, what will the sports networks show or talk about for the next few months AT LEAST with no MLB, NHL, NBA, March Madness, Golf, Nascar, CWS, Olympics. They are screwed. Wouldn't surprise me if football season ends up being cancelled as well. These are unprecedented times.

Yep, what will the sports networks show or talk about for the next few months AT LEAST with no MLB, NHL, NBA, March Madness, Golf, Nascar, CWS, Olympics. They are screwed. Wouldn't surprise me if football season ends up being cancelled as well. These are unprecedented times.

That's way too far in the future to predict right now

Reactions: Brace1
As someone who worked a portion of his career dealing with broadcast financing and peripherally with content, this is a big problem. A lot of human and technical resources will be standing down. While that cuts costs to a degree, the lack of fresh content will not be appealing to advertisers or viewers. Content is typically expensive (just ask Netflix), but sports content is a little more cookie cutter oriented and labor is often independent contractors.

So what do they do? I suspect we are going to get more of their "personalities" and alot of game replays. It would not be surprising if they increase talking head shows with sports personality interviews by Skype or phone, the politically sensitive way to do it right now. All the peeps are bored, so all want publicity, give it to them.

From this some sports stars will become the next big thing based on personality, and some talking heads will venture into topics that will get them in trouble. When the dust clears, I'm pretty sure we will be happy to see people playing games again, rather than people being assinine people.

Come on man. Just stop.
Nope. I will not stop... I am not just making that up. Pro sports exist to make money. If they miss an entire season... How many leagues do you think would survive? The secondary ones would not. WNBA, MLS, XFL... All would be gone fast. You think the NBA, MLB and NFL could all keep the doors open if they had to not play a whole season? What about two seasons? They would lose their TV spots which is a majority of the revenue or at least probably have to take substantial reduction on those contracts. TV will not pay for no product... So, all of a sudden you would have a bunch of multi million dollar salaries, stadiums that have to be paid for, tons of staff beyond on court staff, China is not going to have any NBA games any time soon= HUGE revenue source gone.. Where do they get money from? How many bills can they defer? I do not have the numbers or data to answer any of those questions. The fact is nobody has a frame of reference. Sure, sports will be back one day, but in what form? How long? How many players can wait a year or two for it to come back? What kind of shape will they be in? You nor I can answer any of these questions. I am not saying this WILL happen, I am saying we could see some stuff collapse. Businesses will close because of this. Pro sports are a business and all the ones playing or about to start a season just eliminated their profits for... the foreseeable future. The economic impact has been worse than the human life tole currently- I guess, if you can put a value on human life- and it is just getting started. The overly cautious society we live in will have every major school and public place closed within the next few weeks.

I mean the CWS got canceled and that is in late June... Football season starts in August and practices/scrimmages start way before then.
I think the CWS was canceled just as a product of the current baseball season being cancelled. We could be on the backside of this thing in June, but a college baseball season that loses half of March and all April is unworkable, even if people felt safe going back to the ballpark in May.

Nope. I will not stop... I am not just making that up. Pro sports exist to make money. If they miss an entire season... How many leagues do you think would survive? The secondary ones would not. WNBA, MLS, XFL... All would be gone fast. You think the NBA, MLB and NFL could all keep the doors open if they had to not play a whole season? What about two seasons? They would lose their TV spots which is a majority of the revenue or at least probably have to take substantial reduction on those contracts. TV will not pay for no product...
This is very true. I remember when the MLB and NHL had to disband because they missed their seasons due to strikes. I still cant believe they don't exist anymore.

This is very true. I remember when the MLB and NHL had to disband because they missed their seasons due to strikes. I still cant believe they don't exist anymore.
Completely different circumstances. Ya’ll laugh all you want. I bet if this goes on for more than a month at least one pro league will either fold or announce major financial hardships, have to restructure deals... Hell I don’t know how the WNBA is still going even in good times.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
How does this affect the XFL for the immediate (haven’t heard any announcement about them) as well as the long run?

Possibly. It could also give them a reprieve. We'll see.
Closing, no revenue, still playing hundreds of players their salaries- up to $500k per player? Yeah it’s going to be tough even for Vince to float that I suspect. The NFL could stay static for two years and probably still be fine, PROBABLY. The XFL does not have the clout, fan support, clothes and memorabilia sales or cash on hand that the NFL does... Who knows... Hope they keep it together.

Again I say, the biggest threat we as re facing now is the possible destruction of our economy.
If the hysteria continues and that happens no one will care about sports. Government assistance will stop and more people will be facing life threatening situations from lack of food and medicine than this virus.

Reactions: 92Pony
Of course today all the coverage on ESPN will be about the reaction to the shutdown of the various sports. I suppose they will milk that cow into Monday. Beyond that, what will all these midday and late afternoon shows talk about?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT