ADVERTISEMENT

This Can Be A Unforgettable Season (Real Talk)

macaroni#

Apr 6, 2003
Irmo/Dillon SC
(My Opinion)... I believe that the Gamecocks would be at least 8-3 right now if Jason Brown would have been named the starting QB before the Season started. The kinks would have been worked out quicker with him knowing that he was the starter and getting better and better game by game from getting the Game Experience. I realize that certain games were iffy (could have gone either way) but we should have beat Kentucky and Missouri. The Chemistry of the Team is up right now and with ClemSux coming to Williams/Brice, the right Coaching skills along with the Players being in the right mindset can make this a unforgettable Season with a Win and heading to a Bowl Game. (GO GAMECOCKS)

We’ve been told that he was WAY behind at the start of the season and maybe he was. I don’t know. Have to give Doty the benefit of the doubt beacause of the foot, but Brown just looks the part…he’s smooth. Still impressed with 6 wins and the overall improvement which was totally nonexistent under the previous staff.

We’ve been told that he was WAY behind at the start of the season and maybe he was. I don’t know. Have to give Doty the benefit of the doubt beacause of the foot, but Brown just looks the part…he’s smooth. Still impressed with 6 wins and the overall improvement which was totally nonexistent under the previous staff.
Yeah; I wouldn’t really expect to be told “we made a mistake” in year one of this staff and Brown is going to preach the company line, so I’m taking that as is. My question is, given the absolute offensive dumpster fire through the first 3/4 of the A&M game, “way behind” what exactly? Seriously, up to that point we were basically swing pass, handoff, another swing pass, and punt; what was there to be “behind”? I know, “playbook, protections, blah blah”, but the other two guys either didn’t have it either or were/are just plain ineffective qbs. At the end of the day it’s still football.

I truly, truly want to give benefit of doubt to Doty as well because there remains an allure for some to those stars he had coming out of high school. Problem is, and this is a dead horse by now, 2020 late season Doty, spring game Doty, Zeb goes down Doty, and hurt Doty, they all looked the same and produced the same results; hurt Doty was just a little more frantic. Zeb was no different. And it took injuries to both to get Brown under center.

By all accounts we have had a decent year by a first year Coach with a lot of unknowns. The Clemson game will be very difficult to win because their defense just don't give up points. Not a good match up for us but we can HOPE. As for as Jason goes when Satterfield and Beamer speak of Jason they are a lot more critical of him than they ever were with Zeb or Doty. You can hear it in their voice. Jason this Jason that. Zeb and Doty was never criticized about their play as bad. In my opinion it was favoritism at its best not the best player. You see who the better Player is. It's not the first two QBs they shoved down our throats for 8 weeks that's for sure. With that being said I still like Beamer. In time I think he can become a really good head Coach with better players (recruiting) let's see how things play out.

By all accounts we have had a decent year by a first year Coach with a lot of unknowns. The Clemson game will be very difficult to win because their defense just don't give up points. Not a good match up for us but we can HOPE. As for as Jason goes when Satterfield and Beamer speak of Jason they are a lot more critical of him than they ever were with Zeb or Doty. You can hear it in their voice. Jason this Jason that. Zeb and Doty was never criticized about their play as bad. In my opinion it was favoritism at its best not the best player. You see who the better Player is. It's not the first two QBs they shoved down our throats for 8 weeks that's for sure. With that being said I still like Beamer. In time I think he can become a really good head Coach with better players (recruiting) let's see how things play out.
Some players are game players and not practice players. When you are trying to change the culture of a program the worst thing you can do is reward a player who is not practicing at 100%. It could be that it took Brown that long to show up in practice sufficiently, and once Zeb went down in AM game Brown showed the coaches things he hadnt done in practic. Beamer so much as said this directly. It’s not always favoritis and conspiracy

Yeah If we can just keep it close I’ll give Beamer credit. It would nice to just have a chance to win the game in the fourth even if we end up losing by 10.

We just can’t get blown out

Some players are game players and not practice players. When you are trying to change the culture of a program the worst thing you can do is reward a player who is not practicing at 100%. It could be that it took Brown that long to show up in practice sufficiently, and once Zeb went down in AM game Brown showed the coaches things he hadnt done in practic. Beamer so much as said this directly. It’s not always favoritis and conspiracy
Nah... You've seen Zeb. He had a beer belly to start the season lol. You can't tell me that in a couple weeks he developed the same timing with the receivers that Brown did in an entire spring, summer, and much of fall camp. And this stuff about Brown not being a practice player, or not practicing hard enough, is a bunch of BS. You really want folks to believe that a guy who dropped 20 pounds in a month, who Beamer said he'd see running on his own out on the practice field in the spring and over summer to get in great shape, who would spend as much or more time in the Ops Bldg as any other QB, and who Beamer said will pop into his office every day with questions (even before he was starting), is somehow NOT giving 100% in practice???

Brown didn't start the season because then nobody else, Doty included, would've seen the field at QB for this season or next.

Good lord y'all, we are surviving, but Brown isn't a top QB. He's made just as many bad plays as good plays when it comes to his individual play. He does seem to bring a factor of being able to make a throw every so often while on the run that the others couldn't do, but overall he's average at best for an SEC QB. Zeb is slightly below SEC average, but Luke and Jason are pretty much the same. I'm still not sold on Marcus being the OC because of his play calling ability, but I understand why the QB rotation was the way it was.

Not with the way our o-line was blocking at the beginning of the season. For South Carolina to be successful we have to be able to run the football. That has been the difference over the last few weeks. We gotta keep getting the ball out to White in space.

Reactions: uscedge21
Two things a QB must never never do:
Throw an int into end zone.
Fumble ball into end zone for an opposing team score.

I’m happy that things have been coming around. But I’m still not sold on the staff’s ability to recognize who our playmakers are and actually get them on the field.

Others above have noted the QB situation. It took 10 games to realize that Z White is far and away our best RB this season. We still have players who do great things and then disappear for games. (Will Zaquandre even see snaps against Clemson?) Juju anyone? And why on earth does 5 continue to see the field and be given the wildcat call for -3yds?!?

I guess we can attribute it to a new staff learning the ropes, and maybe next season will not have those issues - I hope that becomes the case. But to look back and think “what if”, is enough to drive you nuts. But after nearly 50yrs of watching, I’m used to it. ;)

Nah... You've seen Zeb. He had a beer belly to start the season lol. You can't tell me that in a couple weeks he developed the same timing with the receivers that Brown did in an entire spring, summer, and much of fall camp. And this stuff about Brown not being a practice player, or not practicing hard enough, is a bunch of BS. You really want folks to believe that a guy who dropped 20 pounds in a month, who Beamer said he'd see running on his own out on the practice field in the spring and over summer to get in great shape, who would spend as much or more time in the Ops Bldg as any other QB, and who Beamer said will pop into his office every day with questions (even before he was starting), is somehow NOT giving 100% in practice???

Brown didn't start the season because then nobody else, Doty included, would've seen the field at QB for this season or next.
So you believe Beamer when he said Brown was doing all those things but don’t believe Beamer when he said Brown needed a better understanding of the protections?

I’m happy that things have been coming around. But I’m still not sold on the staff’s ability to recognize who our playmakers are and actually get them on the field.

Others above have noted the QB situation. It took 10 games to realize that Z White is far and away our best RB this season. We still have players who do great things and then disappear for games. (Will Zaquandre even see snaps against Clemson?) Juju anyone? And why on earth does 5 continue to see the field and be given the wildcat call for -3yds?!?

I guess we can attribute it to a new staff learning the ropes, and maybe next season will not have those issues - I hope that becomes the case. But to look back and think “what if”, is enough to drive you nuts. But after nearly 50yrs of watching, I’m used to it. ;)

They have had a hard time recognizing who the playmakers are on this team that's for sure.

Reactions: 92Pony
I have learned that a coach knows his players, team, etc., better than anyone else ... plain and simple. They see the tendencies in practice, they see the demeanor, they see the work ethic ... things we do not see ... just like we know our own family members in our household (and not to be prim and proper out in public) ... now, this does not mean that coaches make the right or best decisions ... they are human ... as for competition, it is a results driven arena and with Brown, he has delivered positive results ... at least more than his predecessors ... I agree with others that notes Brown has been average overall (he is slow of foot and hopefully he has the "constant" spin move out of his repertoire) ... but he is not someone I believe that will lead this program ... I have to hope that Doty's foot was hampering him all along as he looked slower moving out of the pocket ... I have to hope that that Gauthier and Davis are very good and have great potential ... if for no other reason that Brown evidently has one more year of eligibility ... in any event, like most on this board, I am thrilled of what Brown has done and what he has brought to this team ... and not he alone ... White picking it up ... Vann having a year we thought he should have had all along .. for the defense (for the most part) playing much better than I thought they would (although A&M, TN, and MO just pulverized our D - oh, and any OC not named Bobo would have fed Tank and we likely would have lost ... Bobo was the MVP, IMHO) ... while I am happy we are bowl eligible, the key to the victory against Auburn was all about the future ... remember after the FL game when Beamer noted "I'll be honest with you, some of these recruits were not answering my calls or texting back" ... that picked up after the FL victory and I can only hope it picked up again after the Auburn victory ... I do like Beamer but lets remember we still are looking up and have a long way to go ... it is not rocket science .. it is about recruiting ... we need a few more solid recruits and some momentum ... a victory against our rivals would greatly boost recruiting.

Spoken from a simple fan who loves the Gamecocks ... life is good ... Selah!

I agree. They need to bench Dak, and start Bell and Jenkins with Vann. I would actually like to see Vann in the slot and Bell on the outside, but it won't happen.

Good lord y'all, we are surviving, but Brown isn't a top QB. He's made just as many bad plays as good plays when it comes to his individual play. He does seem to bring a factor of being able to make a throw every so often while on the run that the others couldn't do, but overall he's average at best for an SEC QB. Zeb is slightly below SEC average, but Luke and Jason are pretty much the same. I'm still not sold on Marcus being the OC because of his play calling ability, but I understand why the QB rotation was the way it was.
Did you say that Luke and Jason are the same? No offense, but you definitely cannot recognize raw talent. Jason is raw but is by far the more talented of all the qb's we've played this season. Like the OP said, we're likely 8-3 with Jason starting all season, and our offense would've been more developed by now.

Two things a QB must never never do:
Throw an int into end zone.
Fumble ball into end zone for an opposing team score.
Oh good grief.

“I’ll take Fantasy Land for $1000, Alex”

The answer is: “Stephen Garcia, Blake Mitchell, Todd Ellis, Phil Petty, Dan Marino, Joe Namath, et al.”

“Who are accomplished quarterbacks that fumbled a football in the end zone for an opposing team score, and threw an interception in the end zone during their careers.”

Ding. Ding.

And that’s just the ones that did both. You’d be hard pressed to find qbs with major playing time that never threw an interception in the end zone.

Last edited:
Oh good grief.

“I’ll take Fantasy Land for $1000, Alex”

The answer is: “Stephen Garcia, Blake Mitchell, Todd Ellis, Phil Petty, Dan Marino, Joe Namath, et al.”

“Who are accomplished quarterbacks that fumbled a football in the end zone for an opposing team score, and threw an interception in the end zone during their careers.”

Ding. Ding.

And that’s just the ones that did both. You’d be hard pressed to find qbs with major playing time that never threw an interception in the end zone.
Hey SA. I didn't say no QB had ever done it. I said it shouldn't be done. You can take that SA attitude and well uno the drill.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Overall Doty might be the best quarterback. I have doubts we saw Doty playing 100% healthy all season. He did not panic in the pocket. and he looked more mobile than Noland did, even with a bad foot.

I think Noland is the least mobile, but maybe a better passer in the pocket than Doty and Brown. If he had decent pocket protection, Noland would have played better. Vandy did not pressure him on that game winning drive and Noland picked them apart.

Our bad offensive line play in several games made it almost impossible for a pocket passer to succeed. This team needed someone that could get out of the pocket, and gain a couple of seconds to look downfield. Doty with a bad foot tried, but couldn't do it. I think this is the reason Brown has looked like the better Qb. He can be a playmaker while evading the rush. The biggest knock against Brown has been at times he panicked, and left the pocket too early.

So you believe Beamer when he said Brown was doing all those things but don’t believe Beamer when he said Brown needed a better understanding of the protections?
If you read the post I was responding to you'd see nothing was ever mentioned about an understanding of protections. But hey, since you brought it up please tell me which QB that played this year in front of Brown DID have a great understanding of the protections?

Overall Doty might be the best quarterback. I have doubts we saw Doty playing 100% healthy all season. He did not panic in the pocket. and he looked more mobile than Noland did, even with a bad foot.

I think Noland is the least mobile, but maybe a better passer in the pocket than Doty and Brown. If he had decent pocket protection, Noland would have played better. Vandy did not pressure him on that game winning drive and Noland picked them apart.

Our bad offensive line play in several games made it almost impossible for a pocket passer to succeed. This team needed someone that could get out of the pocket, and gain a couple of seconds to look downfield. Doty with a bad foot tried, but couldn't do it. I think this is the reason Brown has looked like the better Qb. He can be a playmaker while evading the rush. The biggest knock against Brown has been at times he panicked, and left the pocket too early.
You got the names mixed up lol

Like Darkhorse, I think a HEALTHY Doty is the best QB on the team. Unfortunately that was not the case, but I do think Brown us a better chance than Noland. And no, I don’t think we’d be 8-3 with any of them healthy or not.

If you read the post I was responding to you'd see nothing was ever mentioned about an understanding of protections. But hey, since you brought it up please tell me which QB that played this year in front of Brown DID have a great understanding of the protections?
Ask the coaches. They made the comment not I. Show me the game the OL played well early in the season.

Did you say that Luke and Jason are the same? No offense, but you definitely cannot recognize raw talent. Jason is raw but is by far the more talented of all the qb's we've played this season. Like the OP said, we're likely 8-3 with Jason starting all season, and our offense would've been more developed by now.
No offense, but your comment is typical of the "backup QB" was the best on the team club. There's a fan of every football team in America that thinks the backup QB would of saved the world. The sports world is all about analytics now, so I'm sure there's a breakdown/rating for every play we have ran. Go evaluate the 3 QB's that have played this year. We haven't won because of the QB play this year. From any of the guys. You see that occasional roll out and throw similar to Mahomes from J Brown and you think he's the next Lamar Jackson. There's a lot more to being a QB than making a few yard ball plays. I think he can do fine for us, but he won't lead us to any championships.

No offense, but your comment is typical of the "backup QB" was the best on the team club. There's a fan of every football team in America that thinks the backup QB would of saved the world. The sports world is all about analytics now, so I'm sure there's a breakdown/rating for every play we have ran. Go evaluate the 3 QB's that have played this year. We haven't won because of the QB play this year. From any of the guys. You see that occasional roll out and throw similar to Mahomes from J Brown and you think he's the next Lamar Jackson. There's a lot more to being a QB than making a few yard ball plays. I think he can do fine for us, but he won't lead us to any championships.
You people better be thankful you have Jason as a starter are you wouldn't be going to a bowl this year. Instead of poor mouthing the kid. The kid took his rightful spot starter. Best QB on this team period.

Last edited:
You people better be thankful you have Jason as a starter are you wouldn't be going to a bowl this year. Instead of poor mouthing the kid. The kid took his rightful spot starter. Best QB on this team period.
It’s bizarre; it’s like a small faction of fans are resentful or feel threatened by Brown. 53 years I’ve been a fan and never witnessed the shade and backhanded compliments thrown at at a player as are thrown at Brown by this group. And it started as far back as the spring when several of us commented that Brown appeared to be the obvious better qb.

I don’t know who has the final say in who gets under center, but I’m sure the OC has a major input in that decision. That means everyone citing “coaches” as to why the first two qbs got the action in the shite show known as our first eight games are referring to the same guy that there are about 18 threads on this board clamoring to fire him.

It’s bizarre; it’s like a small faction of fans are resentful or feel threatened by Brown. 53 years I’ve been a fan and never witnessed the shade and backhanded compliments thrown at at a player as are thrown at Brown by this group. And it started as far back as the spring when several of us commented that Brown appeared to be the obvious better qb.

I don’t know who has the final say in who gets under center, but I’m sure the OC has a major input in that decision. That means everyone citing “coaches” as to why the first two qbs got the action in the shite show known as our first eight games are referring to the same guy that there are about 18 threads on this board clamoring to fire him.
Yep it goes back as far as the spring game. You've got a group of people that built the wonder boy up (Doty) as the Clear number one and Jason stands in their way so they have got to tear him down every chance they can.

(My Opinion)... I believe that the Gamecocks would be at least 8-3 right now if Jason Brown would have been named the starting QB before the Season started. The kinks would have been worked out quicker with him knowing that he was the starter and getting better and better game by game from getting the Game Experience. I realize that certain games were iffy (could have gone either way) but we should have beat Kentucky and Missouri. The Chemistry of the Team is up right now and with ClemSux coming to Williams/Brice, the right Coaching skills along with the Players being in the right mindset can make this a unforgettable Season with a Win and heading to a Bowl Game. (GO GAMECOCKS)
Agreed, it could be a season to remember...

no, jason has benefitted from better overall team play, plain and simple. he has done some really good things, especially at throwing on the run, but once luke is 100% and the team plays better when he is in there, you will see why luke was number 1 and as they said, it wasnt close. but remember, this is a very good thing for us. i know it is easy to say that brown was just better than the others and our coaches just didnt see it. but cmon, somebody on the staff woulda seen it and no they werent playing favorites, they were playing to win

no, jason has benefitted from better overall team play, plain and simple. he has done some really good things, especially at throwing on the run, but once luke is 100% and the team plays better when he is in there, you will see why luke was number 1 and as they said, it wasnt close. but remember, this is a very good thing for us. i know it is easy to say that brown was just better than the others and our coaches just didnt see it. but cmon, somebody on the staff woulda seen it and no they werent playing favorites, they were playing to win
Sorry, for 8 weeks the offense sucked under Doty and Zeb and was a joke. Jason shows up and now the team is playing its best ball. Team chemistry are what ever. Doty has a long ways to go as a QB. First you have got to be accurate with the ball he's not, second you have got to have downfield vision he does not, third you need pocket presents he does not have that. So, he has a long ways to go healthy or not.

Last edited:
Sorry, for 8 weeks Doty and Zeb was a joke. Jason shows up and now the team is playing its best ball. Doty has a long ways to go as a QB. First you have got to be accurate with the ball he's not, second you have got to have downfield vision he does not, third you need pocket presents he does not have that. So, he has a long ways to go healthy or not.
You have to account for the opponents as well.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Doty wasn't healthy all year, and is still very young. I still think he has the potential to be really good. This year, Brown has been the better of the two, no argument from me. I don't care who our QB is, I just want to win, I'm not Team Doty or Team Brown, I'm Team Gamecocks. I think a healthy Doty and Brown is going to make for an interesting spring.

Reactions: gamecock disciple
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT