ADVERTISEMENT

This offensive play calling by committee has got to stop

Uncreation

Jan 3, 2006

On who was calling the plays:
I delegated early, and then obviously I got involved the second half more. With Lorenzo and the run game, we put G.A [Mangus] up top and let him call them down through. And I would throw one in every now and then. But we were calling so many of these runs and options, I said well you guys are a little bit more comfortable calling all those than I am. But obviously the second half I jumped in there a lot of times....So [I called], half, most, yeah sumlikat...Coach Elliott calls a lot of them too, when we're looking for a run he throws it in there, so he calls a lot also.

On how the play calls will be handled next week:
But we're probably gonna do the same format next week. If the guy up top sees something that looks better in the run game we'll go with it and then down below, I just try to make sure we get our game plan called. Try to get the ball at Pharoh, this that and the other....Sometimes you got to call a pass play and let Lorenzo take off running. Quarterback draw was pretty big there on one of those 3rd and 10s. I'm sure people are gonna be looking for it soon.

For years I always thought that offensive playcalling is what SOS lived for. He loved matching wits with DC's to get the best play in for the defense given. This committee thing just blows my mind. If he's not doing much playcalling, and he's not doing too much recruiting, then what the he!! are we paying him all these millions for??? If Spurrier is going to stay on as HC, then he needs to get fully engaged with all aspects of this program, or else just hop on his golf cart and ride off into the sunset.

For years I always thought that offensive playcalling is what SOS lived for. He loved matching wits with DC's to get the best play in for the defense given. This committee thing just blows my mind. If he's not doing much playcalling, and he's not doing too much recruiting, then what the he!! are we paying him all these millions for??? If Spurrier is going to stay on as HC, then he needs to get fully engaged with all aspects of this program, or else just hop on his golf cart and ride off into the sunset.

The worst part for me is that it validated that he is by far the best play caller on the staff. It would be one thing if GA or Junior of Elliott was calling their ass off. But they were calling it like shit. As soon as HBC took the reigns everything starting looking smooth. It really pisses me off. I would be happier I think if he just lied to us and said he called the whole game.

Did he say he was taking all play-calling responsibilities this year? Thought I read that somewhere.

Let's see, we have the wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator calling plays, the QB coach sits up in the box (away from our quarterbacks he should be coaching on the sidelines) and calls plays, then you got Elliot calling run plays and every now and then Steve will get a wild hair and call some. I don't see how anyone could possibly be confused. How does USC get ourselves into such screwy messes? I mean really.

I totally agree. Watched the UF/UT game from '95 and SOS didn't wear headphones and they scored 60 pts. At least he had Jr. come down to the sidelines...finally.

I want to know why Williams had 14 carries but Carson only 7. Carson had twice the yardage of Williams with half the carries. Somebody needs to fix Coach Sands.

Our program is an absolute train wreck. At halftime, I switched over to the main ESPN channel. They were showing highlights from around he country....when they got to our game, one dude said, "There's a shocker in Columbia with Central Florida up n South Carolina." The other guy said, "Is it REALLY a shocker?"

I totally agree. Watched the UF/UT game from '95 and SOS didn't wear headphones and they scored 60 pts. At least he had Jr. come down to the sidelines...finally.

I want to know why Williams had 14 carries but Carson only 7. Carson had twice the yardage of Williams with half the carries. Somebody needs to fix Coach Sands.
Did you consider ?: We all know that David W has great potential;
Spurrier just ackowledged that post-UGA: " we just have to ( give him the ball enough times) get him going(, so his effectiveness can come out).
Now, EVEN SHON CARSON says himself "I'm a 12-15 carries a game back".
So, I think that LESS IS MORE w/ Shon Carson.

He's not the only asst that needs fixing.

Reactions: big9cock
Wow, this is unbelievable. Spurrier's BIGGEST strength is his playcalling. Let him call every damn play! Also, we should start playing up tempo with Nunez.

Reactions: bmhood1984
He's staying to give jr the head coaching job.

I think I shuddered my pants a little at the thought of it.
Y'all think im kidding... I have seen nepotism first hand... We are staring right down the barrel at it.

Just look at all the blinded people on here defending the worst play we have seen in 15 years, Spurrier knows this fan base and knows most will follow along with what he says because he is "the legend" Ray Tanner won't stop him because he doesn't want to be the guy to say no to spurrier.

Carolina at its finest.

If Spurrier Jr becomes our next HC, or anyone within our program currently, I'm probably going to boycott the team
They won't care... They will have playing clempson or some mid level sec team close to look forward to every week.

In fact if I were Tanner I would sit Spurrier down and tell him to hire a top notch OC or resign.

An OC would cast too much light on how much we really DONT need Spurrier anymore, or how much better we could have been without this insane agenda.

When SOS retires, he will be replaced internally. I know everyone here says or will say, "that won't happen". Since when have the fans here selected the next Head Football Coach? When have the fans here selected any Head Coach? The "powers" here are not the fans. And, when Spurrier eventually retires, I do NOT want him replaced by an internal promotion. But, that's where we are headed. I see it. And I think most people here privately fear it but, want to publicly hold on to the hope we'll hire a hot up and comer or a "brand name" coach. The "powers" will do what they want to do. And any threat to boycott games or quit the Gamecock Club will fall on deaf ears because they know an insignificant small number will actually follow through on such a threat. I've come to accept the eventuality and hope, to my surprise, it will work out.

I'm not real big on criticizing sos but any novice football fan knows play calling by committee is a bad idea. I would just as soon Nunez call his own plays in huddle. I have to question the energy level or commitment level of sos hearing this.

Reactions: jerryusc
We don't have Lattimore, Jeffrey, and Shaw anymore. We need innovation and brilliant play calling.
And? What does that have to do with the subject of who is making the play calls and how much you cry babies bitch about it? It is hypocrisy. We do the same things for TEN YEARS, and when we lose you say: "Spurrier is a was washed up old idiot who is stealing from us by staying around to draw his salary until he can set his son up to take over as HC". When we win it is: "Spurrier is a genius play caller and shows he has progressed along with the game by turning over some of his play calling duties to the guys around him better suited to calling the kinds of run plays that best take advantage of the talents our players have."

Whoever said it above was right- some of you just got your panties in a wad and made up your mind to bitch and be negative regardless of the situation this year. Hope that kind of attitude serves you real well in life- IT WON'T BTW.

THE TRUTH is we are struggling to find an identity for this team and today's game could not have gone much better. We found multiple new play makers on defense- Whitlow, Holloman, Smith.. All showed they can play at high level. We shut a team out in the second half for the third time in four games so far. We struggled in the first half which ensured the team HAD TO stay intense and fight for the win, which they DID. We saw a FRESHMAN QB in his FIRST START turn what was a pretty shaky performance into a come from behind second half victory we were guided to by multiple PASSING TDs... YEAH, this team we beat was garbage. Worst offense in the nation, I get that... But this is exactly what we needed to get our swag going. Mizzou is NOT. A good team. Ky is waxing their ass right now AT MIZZOU if anybody was wondering, and they have struggled all year long to beat teams comparable in talent to the UCF team we toyed with today. We have a shot to turn this season into something we can be proud of, and build a team around some young players. Nobody knows how it will turn out in the end, but right now LSU and TAMU are the only teams we have left on our schedule who look legit. If Nunez keeps improving, we get Wilds back from injury and the defense can build on what they did tonight... We could be a decent team. Now, I know this won't change anybody's mind who came here join the negativity circle- jerk, but there were a lot of positives to be taken away from this game. Focusing on some comments from the post game presser about who was calling plays is stupid and a clear indication too many of our fans are TRYING to find something to complain about.

And? What does that have to do with the subject of who is making the play calls and how much you cry babies bitch about it? It is hypocrisy. We do the same things for TEN YEARS, and when we lose you say: "Spurrier is a was washed up old idiot who is stealing from us by staying around to draw his salary until he can set his son up to take over as HC". When we win it is: "Spurrier is a genius play caller and shows he has progressed along with the game by turning over some of his play calling duties to the guys around him better suited to calling the kinds of run plays that best take advantage of the talents our players have."

Whoever said it above was right- some of you just got your panties in a wad and made up your mind to bitch and be negative regardless of the situation this year. Hope that kind of attitude serves you real well in life- IT WON'T BTW.

THE TRUTH is we are struggling to find an identity for this team and today's game could not have gone much better. We found multiple new play makers on defense- Whitlow, Holloman, Smith.. All showed they can play at high level. We shut a team out in the second half for the third time in four games so far. We struggled in the first half which ensured the team HAD TO stay intense and fight for the win, which they DID. We saw a FRESHMAN QB in his FIRST START turn what was a pretty shaky performance into a come from behind second half victory we were guided to by multiple PASSING TDs... YEAH, this team we beat was garbage. Worst offense in the nation, I get that... But this is exactly what we needed to get our swag going. Mizzou is NOT. A good team. Ky is waxing their ass right now AT MIZZOU if anybody was wondering, and they have struggled all year long to beat teams comparable in talent to the UCF team we toyed with today. We have a shot to turn this season into something we can be proud of, and build a team around some young players. Nobody knows how it will turn out in the end, but right now LSU and TAMU are the only teams we have left on our schedule who look legit. If Nunez keeps improving, we get Wilds back from injury and the defense can build on what they did tonight... We could be a decent team. Now, I know this won't change anybody's mind who came here join the negativity circle- jerk, but there were a lot of positives to be taken away from this game. Focusing on some comments from the post game presser about who was calling plays is stupid and a clear indication too many of our fans are TRYING to find something to complain about.
Wasn't a "waxing" and it was "AT KENTUCKY." A "waxing" would be what happened to us last week.

Wasn't a "waxing" and it was "AT KENTUCKY." A "waxing" would be what happened to us last week.
They were beating them by 2 scores last I checked and looked to be stretching it out.. what was the final? Go ask the Mizzou fans how they felt about it.

The delusion is strong with this one.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
They were beating them by 2 scores last I checked and looked to be stretching it out.. what was the final? Go ask the Mizzou fans how they felt about it.
Hmmm winning by 2 scores.... That sounds like us last year... Oh wait... The 4th quarter happened.

So usage in a sentence...

We were waxing a lot of teams by 2 tds last year until stupid coaches allowed them to score multiple times in the 4th quarter to defeat us.

If we weren't doing it then perhaps there would be several more championship banners at the stadium.
Or, perhaps we'd have been 7-6 each of those years as Spurrier tried to force a round peg (Shaw) into his square hole (high flying pass attack)... People talk about Jr and Elliott like they are the problems with our offense, but Elliott brought in the read attack we ran the past 4-5 years with success, and without I out from him and Jr, we know Sourrier would not have stuck to the run the way he has! Even after four years of Shaw giving us success like we have never seen because of his running ability, Sourrier was still talking about it in his post game presser tonight as though a running QB was "new" to him and something the other guys made the calls to utilize!

Didn't ya'll hear him say that? Did you SEE Nunez rip off multiple LONG runs when our offense seemed to be stuck in reverse? I did... If SOS has his way alone, we'd have seen a lot less of that and more of Orth throwing the ball 8 feet over our WR's head...

Hmmm winning by 2 scores.... That sounds like us last year... Oh wait... The 4th quarter happened.

So usage in a sentence...

We were waxing a lot of teams by 2 tds last year until stupid coaches allowed them to score multiple times in the 4th quarter to defeat us.
That has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND... Are.. Are you high? Please tell me your stupidity is chemically enhanced.

The delusion is strong with this one.
Not at all. I was actually using specific quotes from posts made on this very forum over the past two years... I know it hurts to be told you are a hypocritical fool but my only advice to lessen the pain is to ask that you STFU and think before you type. Not likely to happen, I know..

26650636.jpg
Not at all. I was actually using specific quotes from posts made on this very forum over the past two years... I know it hurts to be told you are a hypocritical fool but my only advice to lessen the pain is to ask that you STFU and think before you type. Not likely to happen, I know..
Whatever bagdad bob.

Last edited:
When the O isn't moving the ball. He says somebody else is calling the play.

When the O isn't moving the ball. He says somebody else is calling the play.
Either way that's a huge issue.
1. He's deflecting instead of owning it.
2. The reason we don't have an OC is because he's a master play caller supposedly.

I couldn't say it better or agree with you more. We should win next week assuming our defence can put presser on Matt Mauk. We can beat Vanderbilt if we continue to play well, and our heads are right after playing LSU. I think Tennessee is now vulnerable and while Florida is 4-0 we can beat them at home. Hopefully we take care of the Citidal which gives us 7 wins regardless of what happens aginst Clemson. If we call the offense by committee and win the rest of our games and win the rest of our games I wonder how many of you are upset after a 11-2 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT