ADVERTISEMENT

This was a tough one... But help is on the way. Brighter days are ahead:

cockinaz

Nov 28, 2015
Listen,
I know we were hoping to see incremental improvement as compared to last year.

I Get it.

But our program can still have improvement from last year that doesn’t show up in the win column. Some of these teams we played last year (Florida, Kentucky, TAMU and... Yes.... Florida) are not the same team that we played last year. With this team this year we would’ve beaten last years Texas a&m, last years kentucky, and last years Florida team). The SEC east has taken a huge step up from last year, and has become a juggernaut again like the days of old.

Our team is getting better, it’s just that the other teams have gotten better too.

Our offense is better as compared to last year. And will can coach up a defense. We won’t have to worry about run defense next year with a man child named Zach Pickens and an in-shape Josh Belk manning the defensive front.

The defense will take a massive step forward. Not only that, but we are continuing to stack offensive depth on top of our playmakers.
What kind of skill players wouldn’t want to come play in an up tempo, high powered, no huddle RPO style SEC offense with 2 QBs that can sling it.

Just want to reiterate that help is on the way. This offense is much better than last year.

The reason why Clemson was able to get ahead of the us and the rest of the SEC (except Alabama) these last 5 or 6 years (in addition to the recruiting inducements early on), is because nobody thought a fast paced, up-tempo RPO, zone read, more finess style offense could win national or SEC championships, because historically those type offenses when run in practice usually make the defense soft.

Well let me tell you, Alabama is proving that a QB directed RPO, quick hitting, high-octane offense can and will win SEC and national championships. The old power I run heavy offenses in the SEC are done.

I credit Will for seeing it and adopting it. Clemson’s offense is no longer unique, and with the paradigm shift to a uptempo spread offenses in the SEC, Clemson’s major competitive advantages over us and (the rest of the SEC) are being washed away. We do everything Clemson does on offense, plus more. We use GPS to track players. I’ve been told we are using virtual reality to help teach them the plays.

The one thing The taters have never been able to do because they play in a finesse league is get good offensive trench players/ lineman.

With the exposure that we get in the SEC. the extra financial windfall and $$$ that are created in our conference, and the fact that no offensive player in his right mind would want to play in the ACC if he could be promised the same style of offense in the SEC. This all means that Clemson is very shortly going to have to back to trying to make ends meet with recruits that Alabama, UGA, UF, Auburn, UT and USC didn’t want or recruit.

It’s already happening, just look at Georgia’s recruiting. They are taking the offensive kids recruits that Clemson wants (and used to get).

There is no way that Ross kid goes to Clemson if he’d seen bamas offense this year, and just wait til Pruitt starts doing the same thing Tennessee WRs will be on lock down. In our state we are already getting all of the best players. It’s become evident to these kids that there is a better path to the NFL in the SEC, plus will Muschamp is a better molder of men, can promise our recruits a degree if they work hard, and has been much more genuine with these players in caring for them during the recruiting process and when they get here. It’s why Josh Belk took off. He was probably promised a starting position in order to sign and found out he was redshirting once he got there. Muschamp has been hones from the beginning. He doesn’t tell them what they want to here. He tells them he’s trying to recruit their replacement, and we’re getting the kids that want to compete. Clemson is having to go to the Midwest and northeast to find recruits which isn’t sustainable. Things are already changing for the better although it’s been slower than we would like.

Clempson is already getting back to getting table scraps for recruits. Their days of top 5 recruiting classes are over.

I know I’m rambling but the point of all this is we have to ignore these little blips on the radar during the building process, and look at the big picture. We ARE getting better. We ARE getting stronger. We ARE bringing in recruits who will strengthen our weaknesses (as early as next year, even).

Let’s hang in there and stay behind Muschamp, Gamecock nation! Brighter days are ahead. Our enemies days are numbered.

Out....

That all sounds great. But UGA isn't going to go anywhere. Florida is just going to get better under Mullen. You seem to think that Pruitt is going to bring UT back. So we could get better and it won't make one bit of difference. USC may can recruit with UT in this day and age. But USC rarely has, and never will consistently, recruit as well as UF and UGA. And you seem to think that Clemson is suddenly going to fall off the table in recruiting. I wish I could believe that but it is far from the truth.
Bottom line is that USC is in a tough spot. Can be pretty good. Be a 7-8 win team. Every so often have a special year and win 9-10. Heck, let's start with just getting the program to the point where it can beat Kentucky.

Thank you! It`s nice to see someone keeping the big picture in perspective. That loss was as tough as any I can think of, but we just need to learn from it. Bitching and moaning about it won`t change the outcome.

Listen,

I Get it.

But our program can still have improvement from last year that doesn’t show up in the win column. Some of these teams we played last year (Florida, Kentucky, TAMU and... Yes.... Florida) are not the same team that we played last year. With this team this year we would’ve beaten last years Texas a&m, last years kentucky, and last years Florida team). The SEC east has taken a huge step up from last year, and has become a juggernaut again like the days of old.

Our team is getting better, it’s just that the other teams have gotten better too.

Our offense is better as compared to last year. And will can coach up a defense. We won’t have to worry about run defense next year with a man child named Zach Pickens and an in-shape Josh Belk manning the defensive front.

The defense will take a massive step forward. Not only that, but we are continuing to stack offensive depth on top of our playmakers.
What kind of skill players wouldn’t want to come play in an up tempo, high powered, no huddle RPO style SEC offense with 2 QBs that can sling it.

Just want to reiterate that help is on the way. This offense is much better than last year.

The reason why Clemson was able to get ahead of the us and the rest of the SEC (except Alabama) these last 5 or 6 years (in addition to the recruiting inducements early on), is because nobody thought a fast paced, up-tempo RPO, zone read, more finess style offense could win national or SEC championships, because historically those type offenses when run in practice usually make the defense soft.

Well let me tell you, Alabama is proving that a QB directed RPO, quick hitting, high-octane offense can and will win SEC and national championships. The old power I run heavy offenses in the SEC are done.

I credit Will for seeing it and adopting it. Clemson’s offense is no longer unique, and with the paradigm shift to a uptempo spread offenses in the SEC, Clemson’s major competitive advantages over us and (the rest of the SEC) are being washed away. We do everything Clemson does on offense, plus more. We use GPS to track players. I’ve been told we are using virtual reality to help teach them the plays.

The one thing The taters have never been able to do because they play in a finesse league is get good offensive trench players/ lineman.

With the exposure that we get in the SEC. the extra financial windfall and $$$ that are created in our conference, and the fact that no offensive player in his right mind would want to play in the ACC if he could be promised the same style of offense in the SEC. This all means that Clemson is very shortly going to have to back to trying to make ends meet with recruits that Alabama, UGA, UF, Auburn, UT and USC didn’t want or recruit.

It’s already happening, just look at Georgia’s recruiting. They are taking the offensive kids recruits that Clemson wants (and used to get).

There is no way that Ross kid goes to Clemson if he’d seen bamas offense this year, and just wait til Pruitt starts doing the same thing Tennessee WRs will be on lock down. In our state we are already getting all of the best players. It’s become evident to these kids that there is a better path to the NFL in the SEC, plus will Muschamp is a better molder of men, can promise our recruits a degree if they work hard, and has been much more genuine with these players in caring for them during the recruiting process and when they get here. It’s why Josh Belk took off. He was probably promised a starting position in order to sign and found out he was redshirting once he got there. Muschamp has been hones from the beginning. He doesn’t tell them what they want to here. He tells them he’s trying to recruit their replacement, and we’re getting the kids that want to compete. Clemson is having to go to the Midwest and northeast to find recruits which isn’t sustainable. Things are already changing for the better although it’s been slower than we would like.

Clempson is already getting back to getting table scraps for recruits. Their days of top 5 recruiting classes are over.

I know I’m rambling but the point of all this is we have to ignore these little blips on the radar during the building process, and look at the big picture. We ARE getting better. We ARE getting stronger. We ARE bringing in recruits who will strengthen our weaknesses (as early as next year, even).

Let’s hang in there and stay behind Muschamp, Gamecock nation! Brighter days are ahead. Our enemies days are numbered.

Out....
Dude, I’m sure you’re a good guy and I admire your optimism. But I’m just not seeing it. It’s the same thing every damn year around here, and I just don’t think it’ll get better. But thank goodness for people like you who try to see the glass as half full.

Jeremy Pruitt already has 2 wins over top 25 teams, while our great coach has 1 in year 3.

Tennessee has a bright future because they have a coach who isn’t scared and will do what it takes to win.. We go up by more then a TD and our coach gets scared and goes conservative. Enjoy that victory against them this year, because they are getting ready to surpass us.

He couldn’t get it done at UF with all that talent and the same things that got him fired at UF will get him fired here. The problem is UF doesn’t put up with being mediocre, like our program and fans do.

Jeremy Pruitt already has 2 wins over top 25 teams, while our great coach has 1 in year 3.

Tennessee has a bright future because they have a coach who isn’t scared and will do what it takes to win.. We go up by more then a TD and our coach gets scared and goes conservative. Enjoy that victory against them this year, because they are getting ready to surpass us.

He couldn’t get it done at UF with all that talent and the same things that got him fired at UF will get him fired here. The problem is UF doesn’t put up with being mediocre, like our program and fans do.
The future is bright at UT. How many times have we heard that ?

How can anyone say our defense is getting better? The last two games have been terrible. WE CANT STOP THE RUN! You literally don’t have to throw the ball to beat us. Isn’t the defense part of the team? Then his is the team improving because this defense is way worse than it has been and it doesn’t feel like there is any hope for improvement anytime soon.

Listen,

I Get it.

Out....
We lost today because of coaching. What help is on the way for that?

Listen,

I Get it.

Out....
I appreciate your optimism and I share it somewhat, I do think next year will be most likely a 6-6 year. It could go 7-5 or 5-7 but most likely 6-6.
It will be hard to be optimistic again next year.

Reactions: Brace1
How can anyone say our defense is getting better? The last two games have been terrible. WE CANT STOP THE RUN! You literally don’t have to throw the ball to beat us. Isn’t the defense part of the team? Then his is the team improving because this defense is way worse than it has been and it doesn’t feel like there is any hope for improvement anytime soon.
seriously? we already know that muschamp can field a defense when he has players...the players are on the way...the one thing everybody worried about was the offense and it gets better every week.....much better than last year already....i just dont understand people that see the bad side of everything...yall must live a really miserable life and i guess yall wanna spread your g&%@*#($( sunshine to everybody else

“The defense will take a massive step forward. Not only that, but we are continuing to stack offensive depth on top of our playmakers.
What kind of skill players wouldn’t want to come play in an up tempo, high powered, no huddle RPO style SEC offense with 2 QBs that can sling it.“

Well I would hope the defense would move forward. Because it’s pretty bad and has been all year.

I admire your optimism. But UGA will continue to sign 3 backs better than our 1. And Clemsin will continue to sign better players across the board. And both have better coaches. And amazingly Clemson’s dont want to leave. BMac or TRob will bolt the first time Old Dominion offers a head coach gig.
IF we can keep the staff intact. Continue to make good evals. Identify some leaders. And somehow sway a difference maker at the running back position. Then we may start giving our biggest rivals some ball games. But until then it’s gonna be ugly every time!

Reactions: Brace1
TL;DR

I'll trust that the body backs up the subject, and as a lifelong Gamecock fan remain ever hopeful for "next year".

Last edited:
seriously? we already know that muschamp can field a defense when he has players...the players are on the way...the one thing everybody worried about was the offense and it gets better every week.....much better than last year already....i just dont understand people that see the bad side of everything...yall must live a really miserable life and i guess yall wanna spread your g&%@*#($( sunshine to everybody else

Our defense is getting worse. How can anyone feel good about our defense and where it’s headed right now? This is a 3-4 year fix. Muschamp won’t survive that.

And sorry for being down on the team. Did you watch that $hit show today? I’m not sure how anyone can put a positive spin on that garbage.

That was a devastating loss for this team and Muschamp and his staff will have a hard time winning over the fanbase after it. Nobody getting on board with wins over Chatanooga or Akron. Only a win against Clemson will get majority believing in him again this year. Next season could be ugly. Following year as well. Muschamp didn’t need to lose this debacle today the way we lost it.

So no, I don’t trust Muschamp to build our defense after watching us miss tackles for NINE FREAKING GAMES THIS YEAR. We keep doing the same stupid stuff over and over.

Sorry if that ruins your fantasy of having a decent team anytime in the next 3-4 years. Let me save you some heartache..give up on it.

Florida fans are laughing at us today. I live in that state. Hell no I’m not pumping sunshine and looking at the bright side. This was a debacle.

Last edited:
By the time the help gets here we better hope people are still showing up and buying tickets. USC doesn't understand that if football ticket sales fall, ALL sports will suffer because football pays the bills for everything.

Reactions: Pole
Today was lack of talent/willingness to make a solid tackle. Coaching has a lot to do with that. But players have to want to do it. Ours don’t. Not sure why.

Reactions: Judson1
Today was lack of talent/willingness to make a solid tackle. Coaching has a lot to do with that. But players have to want to do it. Ours don’t. Not sure why.
Coaches have to go with What is working. Offense was playing well. We got the ball with a min left before the half and went full Muschamp AGAIN

That was a killer. We needed those points and anyone affiliated with the program knows it except for muschamp. We had two timeouts as well. I’m so pissed.

I was fine with it actually. And it worked out. We were up 17 and should’ve gotten the ball back. That’s when our team $hit their pants.

In hindsight sure...we lost by 4. But none of that other stuff should’ve happened if we play disciplined defense.

Down inside, they know they are out of their depth. They realize their mistake by not taking one of the FCS scholarships that were offered to them. They understand that commitment to contact at this level would be fraught with peril in their over-matched condition.

"Tennessee has a bright future because they have a coach who isn’t scared and will do what it takes to win.. We go up by more then a TD and our coach gets scared and goes conservative. "

I actually agree with you. Getting conservative with a big lead actually worked for Holtz, and it worked for Spurrier. Why does't it work for Muschamp? It obviously doesn't work for us under Muschamp.

Down inside, they know they are out of their depth. They realize their mistake by not taking one of the FCS scholarships that were offered to them. They understand that commitment to contact at this level would be fraught with peril in their over-matched condition.
Seems to be inability to motivate?

I looked to see if this post was written at beginning on season. So many things about the OP post is wrong! Both Bama and Clemson's number of plays and time of possessions have decreased substantially. Tempo is a thing of the past because of the Saban rule that guarantees the defense an opportunity to substitute players if offense does. There is no set time in how fast they have to run off or on the field. Up tempo only exists for one or two series a quarter because players can't keep up.

Teams like Bama and Clemson realize that depth at defense is much more important than at offense because if you roll pressure on the offense they will make mistakes and turnovers. Take Bama and Clemson and they finish in top 20 defense because they have depth and great coaches.

Bama isn't all of the sudden an up-tempo RPO guru. It's much simpler they have a Heisman QB!! If Lame Kiffin had Tua you would even see another level of success at Bama.

All this to promote optimism by the OP, at least you are not all doom and gloom but comments like Clemson not seeing success due to up-tempo, they stopped that when Watson left or moreso when Chad Morris left. And saying Clemson can't get offensive lineman, they got the #1 OT in 2018 and I think the #1 OL in 2020 is committed.

Really it's time to quit worrying what others have, where they play, who the coaches are, etc. It's time to start worrying if we can get a top 10 class, can we beat KY for once. I don't see Muschamp being the savior unfortunately. When Spurrier was here we looked for conference championships and could count the NFL talent on the team. Now we hope we don't lose another to KY and get nervous when playing LaTech and Vandy. Definitely not where this program should be headed but that's reality.

Reactions: Pole
Listen,

I Get it.

Out....
I agree with most of what you said brother.I know most of the other guys dont believe and think this is a total shit show , and honestly cant blame them.I think that McClendon actually slowed the tempo down himself yesterday to try and save the D but at this point you know what D you have and when playing a team of equal or more talent damnit you have to keep the pedal to the medal.I dont think Champ asked him to slow it down, if so, its part of the learning curve for the OC.
I do agree with what you said about the help on the way especially on the D side of things.Zach Pickens ,who already is a sandwich away from 300lbs and Jakeem Green at 315, is the ready made size coming that we need along with 6'6 Jaylen Nichols weighing in at 315 also.I can be patient ,hell i have beennsince i started paying attn to USC back in the day till now.I'm down with Champ till he exhausts his opportunity and if and when that point comes ,I'll still be a Gamecock till the day i die

Maybe so. This “ tackle the offensive player by the shoulder pad” scheme we are working on this year might be a new fad. If so, we have one huge head start on the rest of college football.

“The defense will take a massive step forward.”

I don't buy into "progress that doesn't show up in the win column". This is supposed to be big-time football. I'll wait to celebrate the progress that shows up in the win column. I'm too old for that other kind.
Totally get it bossman, for me I still believe "that day " is coming , hope springs eternal.

That’s the kind of progress I brag about to my boss on my annual performance review

“I did a great job this year. You can’t expect my results to show up in any of those fancy metrics though. “

I don't buy into "progress that doesn't show up in the win column". This is supposed to be big-time football. I'll wait to celebrate the progress that shows up in the win column. I'm too old for that other kind.

Is help on the way though? We have a few recruits that look like studs, but top to bottom Muschamp's recruiting hasn't been any better than Spurrier's last few seasons. Definitely worse than Spurrier's first few.

Brighter?

Our defense is worse than ever. This defense makes Lorenzo Ward look like a genius.

0-3 against Georgia
0-3 against Kentucky
0-3 against Clemson
0-3 against Texas A&M

There's nothing bright about that horizon. We need to save ourselves from any further damage and relieve Muschamp of his duties NOW!

It’s easy to see the bad side .... it’s on ESPN or SEC Network every Sat . I’ve seen Snakes juggle better than this defense has tackled all year . 500 yards to UGA , 500 yards to Mizzou , 500 yards to Ole Miss , 500 yards to UF , 800 yards to Clemson . How is it possible to be that bad . Muschamp must be making his gameplans on Madden 2019 Tutorials . Even the brightest SunShine Pumper can’t excuse this . Hey just gotta recruit and play better right ?? Your optimism is awesome however . Thanks because we are gonna need it badly the next two years .

Is help on the way though? We have a few recruits that look like studs, but top to bottom Muschamp's recruiting hasn't been any better than Spurrier's last few seasons. Definitely worse than Spurrier's first few.

Agree . One of those “Studs” is busy getting into football shape downing Nachos and Hotdogs on the Clemson Sideline while his defense is getting Shredded at the same time in Oxford .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT