ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Penny @ Memphis?

He should probably have held that in, but with that question, that reporter deserved to get yelled at. Is he embarrassed?!?! What a POS that reporter is.

I'm not a Penny fan at all, but these idiots with an outlet to spread their opinions need to be put in their place. They typically have no clue what's going on. Those who can't, report.
This is at least the second time I’ve seen it posted that this question was asked. Did I miss something from a different report? What I saw was, the reporter asked if Penny had lost faith in his ability to get the job done.

I just watched it - it comes off to me as definitely poor judgement in his use of the curse words but I wouldn’t burn him at the stake for this little outburst. I think some of the local media can get under the skin of these coaches (we saw that with Spurrier) and when the coach calls them on it the media is all up in arms like “we’re only doing our jobs!”
Unfortunately life isn’t fair either and most of us are held to a different standard at our jobs. If you were a nurse bringing in millions of dollars to your hospital and were part of the hospital’s marketing and had put that hospital on the map a little bit with your nursing skills 25 years prior then you might have a little more leeway given to you by the hospital - it’s just like that and it’s the reality of the world.
So different standards for the big fish lol?
Btw do you really think this 1 coach is bringing in millions of dollars or is part of this school's marketing AND put the school on the map?

I'm kinda "over" coaches who act like they have no control over their emotions/responses.
I did hospital nursing for over 30 years. Do you know how many times in that 30 years I've had people be rude to me? Throw things? Spit? Be combative?
More than I care to remember. Do you know how many times I cursed back? ZERO.
And if I had cursed back, I wouldn't have had a job the next day.

I have a ton of respect for nurses.
But.
I think the difference may be there probably weren't dozens of media nursing experts and hundreds if not thousands of armchair nurses on social media critiquing your performance day in and day out, and all that on top of whatever other daily battles you might be facing in performing your duty.

Sports is sports. It's a game. It's not life or death. We spend too much money on it, attach too much importance to it, etc., but at the end of the day, it's ridiculous the amount of attention we pay to it, and the expectations we attach to other people's job performance.

I'm kinda "over" coaches who act like they have no control over their emotions/responses.
So you are “over” Venables? Me, too. And Calipari? Me, too. And Penny? Me, too.

But I liked Hal McRae, Mike Ditka, Bill Parcells, Bobby Knight, George Brett, Allen Iverson, Leo Durocher, Billy Martin, Lefty Driesell and others who “melted down” a time or two. Entertaining.

On the other side, I admire those who I never can remember losing their composure - Dean Smith, Johnny Wooden, Tom Landry, Mike Tomlin, Bobby Cremins, Tubby Smith, many more.
And Bobby Cox, Frank Martin - (nah, just kidding there.)

So you are “over” Venables? Me, too. And Calipari? Me, too. And Penny? Me, too.

But I liked Hal McRae, Mike Ditka, Bill Parcells, Bobby Knight, George Brett, Allen Iverson, Leo Durocher, Billy Martin, Lefty Driesell and others who “melted down” a time or two. Entertaining.

On the other side, I admire those who I never can remember losing their composure - Dean Smith, Johnny Wooden, Tom Landry, Mike Tomlin, Bobby Cremins, Tubby Smith, many more.
And Bobby Cox, Frank Martin - (nah, just kidding there.)
Yes I'm "over" any coach who can't control themselves.

I have a ton of respect for nurses.
But.
I think the difference may be there probably weren't dozens of media nursing experts and hundreds if not thousands of armchair nurses on social media critiquing your performance day in and day out, and all that on top of whatever other daily battles you might be facing in performing your duty.

Sports is sports. It's a game. It's not life or death. We spend too much money on it, attach too much importance to it, etc., but at the end of the day, it's ridiculous the amount of attention we pay to it, and the expectations we attach to other people's job performance.
You have NO idea what it is like to work in an under staffed downtown hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT