ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Brando reporting ND to join ACC

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
With the coast to coast rapid following this would be a huge boon for the ACC. Despite the obvious prejudice on here for the ACC, it would be hard to argue how this would not be a very big coup for them. Both football and basketball produce huge ratings.
Come time for negotiations for their TV network having ND can only be beneficial.
BTW - Poor UConn, i think they end up the bridesmaid in this affair once again.

Now let's see if this is for real or not

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/5/...-conference-realignment-undefeated-against-nd

I have considered this an inevitability but did not expect it now. I always thought it would be the Big 10 due to geography alone. If true, this is a huge coup for the ACC. There's no use trying to spin it into anything other than a positive for that league. The Notre Dame cachet is in a class by itself.

i heard ACC is trying to get Ohio state, Oklahoma, Southern California, UCLA and Oregon to join..

All sarcasm aside, If rumors are to believed UO is not that happy in their current situation in the Big 12, than Oklahoma joining would not be all that surprising.

All sarcasm aside, If rumors are to believed UO is not that happy in their current situation in the Big 12, than Oklahoma joining would not be all that surprising.
A lot more dominoes would have to fall before Oklahoma joined the ACC.

It wasn't that long ago that people were trying to push the rumor that Clempson was going to the B1G.

You are going to hear rumor's about this for the next 10 years with nothing happening. ND will join the ACC in football and you will not see any movement for a LONG time.

Bingo! Why they didn't see it before, I don't know; But, run that gauntlet of Wake Forest, Syracuse, and BC unscathed, and poof, you're in the CFP. Smart move on NDs part.

I agree. ND wants no part of beating their brains out year-after-year with Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Better to try your Irish Luck out on the sweet little A-She-She. It may work, too. Chances are both Clemson and FSU will be on probation at least once every 5 years or so!

Nothing says Atlantic Coast like South Bend Indiana.
tumblr_m0oxupXKzJ1ql4a37o1_500.gif

A lot more dominoes would have to fall before Oklahoma joined the ACC.

It wasn't that long ago that people were trying to push the rumor that Clempson was going to the B1G.

You are going to hear rumor's about this for the next 10 years with nothing happening. ND will join the ACC in football and you will not see any movement for a LONG time.
It was the Big 12 that Clemson (and FSU) was supposed to join, not the B1G. Clemson doesn't qualify academically for the B1G...they'd never get an invite.

If WVU can join the Big 12, and Rutgers and Maryland join the B1G, then clearly geographic location is not exactly a big requirement anymore

ND isn't joining in football anytime soon. Brando spouts this out once or twice a year. If the playoffs stay at 4 I could see them move to the ACC (the only conference they are allowed to join) in the next 5 years. If it goes to 8, then they will remain ind in football.

Should they join look for Navy to go with them. Keeps a natural playing partner in tact, gives the ACC back into Md, and would line up academically. UConn won't sniff the ACC - they bring nothing to the table.

Reactions: IrmoRed
If WVU can join the Big 12, and Rutgers and Maryland join the B1G, then clearly geographic location is not exactly a big requirement anymore
At least Rutgers and Maryland have borders to Pennsylvania.
That makes sense.

WV is way out of the footprint of the Big 12 schools and that only happen because they needed someone to make 10.

A schools geographic location absolutely is a big requirement. Big 12 simply didn't have any choice.

I have considered this an inevitability but did not expect it now. I always thought it would be the Big 10 due to geography alone. If true, this is a huge coup for the ACC. There's no use trying to spin it into anything other than a positive for that league. The Notre Dame cachet is in a class by itself.
Initially, I agree with you. However, I believe it will be the single biggest mistake ND has ever made (short of the George O'Leary debacle). The ND brand will be watered down to the likes of Duke, GT, and Wake if just a few years.
Although I do believe the ACC is the simplest path to the NC, I believe they could hold out for something better.

Agree...and it makes the most sense, But there is a lot of bad blood between UND and the B1G from way back...mostly with Michigan I believe. Think it was an old Catholic bias against UND that caused the rift.

Reactions: king ward
Initially, I agree with you. However, I believe it will be the single biggest mistake ND has ever made (short of the George O'Leary debacle). The ND brand will be watered down to the likes of Duke, GT, and Wake if just a few years.
Although I do believe the ACC is the simplest path to the NC, I believe they could hold out for something better.

Norte Dame's Brand will never be watered down. They are a blue blood and in football have one of the biggest followings in all of college sports.

At least Rutgers and Maryland have borders to Pennsylvania.
That makes sense.

WV is way out of the footprint of the Big 12 schools and that only happen because they needed someone to make 10.

A schools geographic location absolutely is a big requirement. Big 12 simply didn't have any choice.

BIG 12 did have a choice but UT in their arrogance was adamant about not letting in Houston.
Also, if you recall their were rumors that UT and Oklahoma were flirting with joining the PAC 12.
It's now about TV sets, my point is that geography is no longer considered a prime reason as much as it was just 20 years ago.

Reactions: king ward
Norte Dame's Brand will never be watered down. They are a blue blood and in football have one of the biggest followings in all of college sports.
People who don't realize the aura of Notre Dame are naive in the supreme. And it doesn't matter if they aren't at the very top, either. They are national in stature and will get to the top again. Maybe they are seeing that aligning with a league might actually help them.

BIG 12 did have a choice but UT in their arrogance was adamant about not letting in Houston.
Also, if you recall their were rumors that UT and Oklahoma were flirting with joining the PAC 12.
It's now about TV sets, my point is that geography is no longer considered a prime reason as much as it was just 20 years ago.
There is some truth to that. Geographic contiguousness is desirable, but it isn't essential.

Culturally, yes. I won't bore you with history. Take my word for it. Oh, there is that little matter of 'zillions' of 'ND' sweatshirts worn on a regular basis in that grand ole eastern seashore city . . . . Chicago!
Well, when you stand on the shore and look east, you can't see the other side. Feels like the ocean.

Reactions: rogue cock
The tail continues to wag the dog....I will say, they've always played a ball breaking OOC schedule, so they're smart enough to know the benefit of fully joining a 2-team conference.....eventually

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I don't doubt their following. I am old enough to have witnessed it for years. I believe football is very different today than when they dominated. I just find it odd that of all the people I know on this earth, only one of them is a ND football fan....and he doesn't know why he is. I guess their fan base is mostly from up north. I still believe their brand will suffer over time. When a team like ND loses to teams like NC State, Duke, and VT on a regular basis, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Nothing says Atlantic Coast like South Bend Indiana.
Well it is closer than Texas A&M and Missouri to the southeast. South Bend sucks. I've been working in that area for a little over 3 years. ND people think that their so above everyone else. Sort of like Tarhole fans.

Well it is closer than Texas A&M and Missouri to the southeast. South Bend sucks. I've been working in that area for a little over 3 years. ND people think that their so above everyone else. Sort of like Tarhole fans.

Buddy of mine is an ND grad from back mid 80s. He's OK. And I think I got drunker at ND than anywhere else I've ever been drunk. Might be the altitude or all those priests.

Agree...and it makes the most sense, But there is a lot of bad blood between UND and the B1G from way back...mostly with Michigan I believe. Think it was an old Catholic bias against UND that caused the rift.
ND was interested in joining the B1G back in the 1920s, but the Catholic prejudice to which you hinted kept the doors closed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT