ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Corbin

I dislike him as well. However, I disliked Steve Spurrier when he was at Florida. What I'm trying to say is....I'd take Tim Corbin in our dugout in a skinny minute.

Bleed, because Vandy is a private school with a HUGE scholarship endowment, they can offer more academic scholarship money to baseball recruits than other schools hampered by the NCAA's 11.7 scholly limitation. With more money for school, especially to what is essentially an Ivy League school, the best prospects have more incentive to forego going pro. I expect other SEC programs are searching for ways to remedy this huge advantage.

Vandy has an advantage- but most of it is because the value of a Vandy degree is so high in the marketplace.

BTW- I thought Corbin's post game comments last night were extremely respectful of our program and team.

Originally posted by BraveCock93:
Bleed, because Vandy is a private school with a HUGE scholarship endowment, they can offer more academic scholarship money to baseball recruits than other schools hampered by the NCAA's 11.7 scholly limitation. With more money for school, especially to what is essentially an Ivy League school, the best prospects have more incentive to forego going pro. I expect other SEC programs are searching for ways to remedy this huge advantage.

So Vandy, a national top 20 University is going to start marginalizing their academic integrity to get around the scholarship limit in baseball? The same school that disbanded their athletic dept and put in under Student Life is now using their endowment to offer scholarship money because baseball is such a huge money maker for them?

I wonder why Stanford, So Cal, Duke, Miami, Wake Forest, BC, and all these other elite private schools with huge endowments haven't thought of such a brilliant idea!

Originally posted by lazenge44:
So Vandy, a national top 20 University is going to start marginalizing their academic integrity to get around the scholarship limit in baseball? The same school that disbanded their athletic dept and put in under Student Life is now using their endowment to offer scholarship money because baseball is such a huge money maker for them?

I wonder why Stanford, So Cal, Duke, Miami, Wake Forest, BC, and all these other elite private schools with huge endowments haven't thought of such a brilliant idea!
Stanford has as many national championships in baseball as we do. USC is the gold standard in college baseball. Miami has a lot of championships. Wake Forest is the only ACC school with a national championship in baseball. Duke and BC are Duke and BC.

If you want to attend Vanderbilt and have the merits academically to get accepted, financial help is available - its called Opportunity Vanderbilt. Does Corbin take advantage of this program to help families that he may only be able to offer 25% of a scholly? I'm sure he does. But much like Spurrier has experienced with academic exceptions, the answer isn't always going to be yes. And i find it even harder to see these type of "exceptions" granted at Vandy, a school that has taken unprecedented steps in making sure their student-athletes are in fact STUDENT-athletes.

Corbin has been at Vandy 12 or 13 years, and it wasn't until last year before he finally won it all. If it was as easy as giving the guys he recruits all this financial help beyond the 11.7 schollys, then he would've racked up a lot more titles than just one. Give the man credit, he recruits his butt off, he can offer a world class education, Nashville isn't a dump, and the facilities and conference he plays in are top of the line. Why not simply acknowledge that he's a great coach, running a great program?

It also seems like the Florida coach is good at getting top prospects to go to college. Their must something that they learned from Leggett. I'll let you draw your own conclusions, lol. JK

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT