ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 current players who are first ballet Hall of Famers

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
So Brady , Brees and Rodgers are given but who would be your other top 5

1. Mahomes
2. JJ Watt
3. Frank Gore (yes he’s still playing!!)
4. Aaron Donald
5. Gronk

1. Mahomes
2. JJ Watt
4. Aaron Donald
5. Gronk
Remember, how before the internet, people used to think the cause of stupidity was lack of access to information?

Reactions: paladin181
Watt
Fitzgerald (sat out this year for COVID)
Gronkowski
Gore

I can't think of anyone else so far deserving of the award. Most of the older guys won't be first ballot guys, and the young ones, it's too early to tell.

Watt
Gronkowski
Gore

I can't think of anyone else so far deserving of the award. Most of the older guys won't be first ballot guys, and the young ones, it's too early to tell.

I think all four you mentioned are sure fire first ballot guys

1. Mahomes
2. JJ Watt
4. Aaron Donald
5. Gronk
Frank Gore is not on that list IMO. He has, even at his peak, just been “good”, never great. His journeyman stat accumulation may get him in the hall but I am not certain he will be first ballot. AP would replace him on that list for me.

Frank Gore is not on that list IMO. He has, even at his peak, just been “good”, never great. His journeyman stat accumulation may get him in the hall but I am not certain he will be first ballot. AP would replace him on that list for me.

Actually I think Gore would be the top of the list . Just the fact that he’s lasted for 16 years as an NFL RB when even the greats don’t last 6 years . Not to mention doing it after a knee injury that many doctors told him he may never walk normally again . He’s the 4th leading rusher of all time behind Emmitt , Payton and Barry Sanders . I do agree with you that AP will be a first ballot also .

Reactions: king ward
When I hear hall of fame, I immediately think baseball:

Albert Pujols
Justin Verlander
Miguel Cabrera
Clayton Kershaw
Max Scherzer

Reactions: caughtlookin
Actually I think Gore would be the top of the list . Just the fact that he’s lasted for 16 years as an NFL RB when even the greats don’t last 6 years . Not to mention doing it after a knee injury that many doctors told him he may never walk normally again . He’s the 4th leading rusher of all time behind Emmitt , Payton and Barry Sanders . I do agree with you that AP will be a first ballot also .
I am not saying he won’t make the HOF, just that he is wayyyy down the list in my mind. He had some really good years in San Fran, and a good one or two after leaving but he has amassed such career stats from being a journeyman who just won’t retire not because of explosive, superstar level production for most of his career. Just my take- he has always been good. I never looked at him anywhere near the way I look at AP or Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders...

Reactions: redrogers
The other 5 aside from Brady, Brees, and Rodgers?

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Frank Gore
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Gronkowski

defense:
1. Terrell Suggs (not sure if he counts as “active player” since he didn’t play this year)
2. Patrick Peterson
3. JJ Watt
4. Cam Chancellor
5. Richard Sherman

then the other probables who still have more years to play: Julio Jones, Russell Wilson, Antonio Brown, Deandre Hopkins, Khalil Mack, Ndamakong Suh, Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill.

Last edited:
Watt
Gronkowski
Gore

what Fitzgerald are you referring to? LARRY Fitzgerald didn’t sit out this year, he played in 13 games.

Reactions: paladin181
When I hear hall of fame, I immediately think baseball:

Albert Pujols
Justin Verlander
Miguel Cabrera
Clayton Kershaw
Max Scherzer
I agree with you baseball statement and
Think you can add Mike Trout to that list along with DeGrom and potentially Freddie Freeman

I agree with you baseball statement and
Think you can add Mike Trout to that list along with DeGrom and potentially Freddie Freeman
Trout and DeGrom will be in if they continue without career-damaging injuries.

I am not saying he won’t make the HOF, just that he is wayyyy down the list in my mind. He had some really good years in San Fran, and a good one or two after leaving but he has amassed such career stats from being a journeyman who just won’t retire not because of explosive, superstar level production for most of his career. Just my take- he has always been good. I never looked at him anywhere near the way I look at AP or Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders...

I agree with you there . He’s never been the type of back would would put up a 200 yard game or a 2000 yard season . I think what’s made him such an amazing player is doing it for that long so consistently . He had a 1000 yard season like 4 years ago which is just unheard of for an RB his age with that many miles on him . Besides Payton of course, has there ever been an RB that was so consistent for so long . I agree he’s not in the Barry Sanders, Gayle Sayers conversation but what he was done may be just as impressive .

everybody has a different standard for what a HOFer should be at each position. My standard for RB - and what generally gets RBs into the HOF- is 10,000 yards rushing. Frank Gore had that after 2014, the 10 season mark of his career, which I believe is right around where most HOF RBs hit the 10,000 yard mark. So if you want to say everything after that was stat padding, ok, but he was still a HOFer at the 10 season mark.

I agree with you that Frank Gore is not at the level of AP, Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders, but you’re talking about 3 of the greatest there. Frank Gore is certainly at the level of Jerome Bettis, Edgerrin James, and Curtis Martin, all 3 of whom are in the HOF. Speaking of Emmitt Smith... Gore’s career year for rushing was 1695 yards. Emmitt Smith only had 2 seasons higher than that, and both those were less than 100 yards more. Emmitt also had 4 seasons of stat padding. Very few aside from Cowboy fans consider him better than Sanders, Payton,or Jim Brown. I don’t consider him better than Marshall Faulk either. He padded his stats at the end of his career just like Gore, the only difference is that Gore has managed 7 stat padding seasons where Emmitt only managed 4.

This is a totally different era for RBs versus even 15 years ago. And yet Gore has transcended it all. Don’t forget his ACL injuries in college that most would’ve thought might hamper his career. Forget about season stats - the fact that he has played for as long as he has (as a starter) should be enough to give him first ballot HOF status...

Definitely Gore. 3rd all-time in rushing yards in an era when backs don’t get as many carries as even 10-15 years ago.

Winning Super Bowls is a factor but not the main factor. That’s more about the team than the player. HOF has loads of players that didn’t win one.

everybody has a different standard for what a HOFer should be at each position. My standard for RB - and what generally gets RBs into the HOF- is 10,000 yards rushing. Frank Gore had that after 2014, the 10 season mark of his career, which I believe is right around where most HOF RBs hit the 10,000 yard mark. So if you want to say everything after that was stat padding, ok, but he was still a HOFer at the 10 season mark.

I agree with you that Frank Gore is not at the level of AP, Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders, but you’re talking about 3 of the greatest there. Frank Gore is certainly at the level of Jerome Bettis, Edgerrin James, and Curtis Martin, all 3 of whom are in the HOF. Speaking of Emmitt Smith... Gore’s career year for rushing was 1695 yards. Emmitt Smith only had 2 seasons higher than that, and both those were less than 100 yards more. Emmitt also had 4 seasons of stat padding. Very few aside from Cowboy fans consider him better than Sanders, Payton,or Jim Brown. I don’t consider him better than Marshall Faulk either. He padded his stats at the end of his career just like Gore, the only difference is that Gore has managed 7 stat padding seasons where Emmitt only managed 4.
All true and well said, I guess those types of players are just where my mind goes when I think of guaranteed first ballot guys... Gore has a really impressive career stat line though, no doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT