ADVERTISEMENT

UConn in Dire Financial Straits...

Get Geno to take the bus instead of flying when the opposing site is 100 miles away ... Cut out the cod fishing program.

It’s a waste of money and a dying “sport.” The trend is to larger teams (like rowing) to satisfy IX. As the percentage of women in college increases, there’s more need to provide spots on teams.
Yeah. Swimming is a dying sport. Should def be replaced by cornhole. If we could just keep those dang entitled women where they're supposed to be we could get more 1 and done male basketball players to commit to us.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yeah. Swimming is a dying sport. Should def be replaced by cornhole. If we could just keep those dang entitled women where they're supposed to be we could get more 1 and done male basketball players to commit to us.

Crazily, schools are allowed 14 scholarships for women’s swimming but only 12 for softball. Rowing gets 20, but you need to get the SEC to sponsor it. I believe that’s the highest limit for women’s sports.

Crazily, schools are allowed 14 scholarships for women’s swimming but only 12 for softball. Rowing gets 20, but you need to get the SEC to sponsor it. I believe that’s the highest limit for women’s sports.
I believe they are allowed more if they also have diving....as swimming and diving are two separate sports. Clemson and Miami had only women's diving teams for several years. I think Miami still has theirs.

Reactions: HI Cock
It’s a waste of money and a dying “sport.” The trend is to larger teams (like rowing) to satisfy IX. As the percentage of women in college increases, there’s more need to provide spots on teams.

Speaking of that, I'd love to see the research on why so many more women than men are going to college now. I know there are more women than men, in the entire population, but that's mostly in older age brackets.

Speaking of that, I'd love to see the research on why so many more women than men are going to college now. I know there are more women than men, in the entire population, but that's mostly in older age brackets.

Probably you might consider this a right wing conspiracy world view but many boys have been devalued in today’s culture and mostly feminine run schools. We shouldn’t pull down one sex to raise up the other.
link

Reactions: Zann77
I believe they are allowed more if they also have diving....as swimming and diving are two separate sports. Clemson and Miami had only women's diving teams for several years. I think Miami still has theirs.

I had looked it up, it’s a total for swimming and diving combined, which does count as one sport for NCAA rules (the requirement of 7&7 or 6&8 men’s/women’s sports). The track and field cap is a combined total for indoor, outdoor, and x-country; but those count as three sports. Miami still has swimming&diving for women. Diving might be allowed alone to minimize the number of scholarships you have to give - NCAA rules have some minimum financial aid, but how does that affect schools with no athletic scholarships, such as the Ivy League and the five service academies?

I don't know if this is part of the answer (for certain). But even when I was going to school, there seemed to be more studious and serious-minded girls than there were studious and serious-minded boys.

The immediate job market, particularly blue collar jobs, is more conducive to males. A male can get high school training and some tech school training and go right into earning, some good earning, too, in fields that few women venture into - welding, landscaping, truck driving, machinery, electricity, plumbing, etc.

...and this is a program ambitious to move up to the Power Five. I don't think that will help them sufficiently and I don't think they can afford the associated cost.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...es-athletic-director-rule-cutting-some-sports

I think $ is the main reason they are trying to move to P5. Their conference revenues were $7 million. Compare that to the SEC payout of $40 million per team. Their football team alone lost over $8 million.

I think their program may be an unsustainble model. Storrs is 80 miles from Boston (70 miles to Giellette Stadium) and 140 miles to NYC. Its just this simple.....people in this region follow professional sports MUCH more closely. There are tons of teams here to cheer for between Boston and NY. Unlike the Carolina Panthers, the Krafts have expertly marketed the Patriots as the entire region's team. That noise you heard last Sunday night was an entire region of 6 states screaming for the Pats. You see the red "B" of the Red Sox plastered all over New England. Almost all would much rather see a Celtics game than any college team in the area. And unlike the south, hockey is a huge fan sport here.

The AD in Storrs is going to have to figure out a college model that works in this region where huge fan support (ala a full 70,000 seat football stadium with fancy luxury boxes) will never be a part of their world.

GO COCKS!!! GO PATS!!!

UConn's situation just proves how vital a successful football program is to any university. College Football will forever reign supreme over all other athletic teams including Men's Basketball.

UConn's situation just proves how vital a successful football program is to any university. College Football will forever reign supreme over all other athletic teams including Men's Basketball.
More importantly....getting into a conference where football is successful. Individually, a school doesn't have to be successful, but collectively you must.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT