ADVERTISEMENT

Under Armour

It’s really personal preference. I think UA clothing is styled and made better then Nike. Plus Nike got into the business of peddling political propaganda which was annoying.

When have we ever heard a recruit say "I chose them because they wear *insert brand here*"? Do they like certain brands? Absolutely. Does it make that big of a difference when it comes down to choosing between 2-3 schools? Not like folks want to believe.
You are mistaken if you do not think that the uniform brand makes a difference. The good players coming up through the AAU ranks absolutely have brand awareness, as well as handlers who steer them in the direction of schools wearing the brands which have sponsored them in the past.

The teams wearing UA in college hoops is hardly a who's who of the sport. Only 2 teams in the top 25 are UA. 8 of the top 10 are Nike.

All kids playing high level AAU hoops see the carrot being dangled should they make it to the pros, and Nike and Adidas are much stronger brands than UA.

May make no difference in some sports, but it does make a difference in hoops.

Last edited:
You are mistaken if you do not think that the uniform brand makes a difference. The good players coming up through the AAU ranks absolutely have brand awareness, as well as handlers who steer them in the direction of schools wearing the brands which have sponsored them in the past.

The teams wearing UA in college hoops is hardly a who's who of the sport. Only 2 teams in the top 25 are UA. 8 of the top 10 are Nike.

All kids playing high level AAU hoops see the carrot being dangled should they make it to the pros, and Nike and Adidas are much stronger brands than UA.

I didn't say that it didn't make a difference. I said it doesn't make as big of a difference as some like to believe.

I didn't say that it didn't make a difference. I said it doesn't make as big of a difference as some like to believe.
It does in basketball. Don't know about football but Nike gets involved with the best basketball players at an early age. All the best camps and AAU teams are sponsored by Nike.

Although I don’t like Nike I think we should switch. U/A was promising at the beginning but has pretty much sucked the past few years. For whatever reason sounds like some recruits prefer Nike. We don’t need to purposely give ourselves any more disadvantages.

Lost me at Adidas, you have got be kidding me!. And by the way, AU sponsors just as many or more AAU teams and high schools throughout the country than nike. Adidas everything non soccer is just garbage. And yet none of you have answered my original post!..doesn't seem to hurt those 2 teams!

It does in basketball. Don't know about football but Nike gets involved with the best basketball players at an early age. All the best camps and AAU teams are sponsored by Nike.
If Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, any of the big boys switched companies do you really think they'd lose recruits over it? Really?

And if a kid is so shallow that he only picks a school because of who they have a merchandise contract with, that's sad.

Lost me at Adidas, you have got be kidding me!. And by the way, AU sponsors just as many or more AAU teams and high schools throughout the country than nike. Adidas everything non soccer is just garbage. And yet none of you have answered my original post!..doesn't seem to hurt those 2 teams!
No UA doesn't sponsor as many AAU or high school teams as Nike, not even remotely close. And yes, Adidas list of NCAA teams is about 20 times deeper than UA. Has been a topic for many years. Heard Cary Rich even speak about it on numerous occasions.

If Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, any of the big boys switched companies do you really think they'd lose recruits over it? Really?

And if a kid is so shallow that he only picks a school because of who they have a merchandise contract with, that's sad.
Unfortunately it is sad. But then look at the list of Nike players in the NBA and compare it to UA. The good players have been being steered by their AAU coaches for years, and who often pays the AAU coaches and provides benefits to them yep Nike and Adidas.

There are currently 18 teams wearing UA in major college sports. There are 6 NBA players total affiliated w UA.

I like to buy Under Armour gear because that's what we wear. If nothing else, it makes us different than Clemson.

No UA doesn't sponsor as many AAU or high school teams as Nike, not even remotely close. And yes, Adidas list of NCAA teams is about 20 times deeper than UA. Has been a topic for many years. Heard Cary Rich even speak about it on numerous occasions.
I've been a high school and AAU coach for a long long time., you're just wrong. I'm not talking NBA deals and giant monetary contracts, I'm talking about high schools and private camp deals that UA provides for is bigger than you think. Especially for a company that is way way newer on the scene that the other 2. Tbey are still making a lot of inroads with big promotions and sponsorships. And addidas apparel for bball and football is junk, don't care how many teams they have.. Again, they currently have both number 1 teams in mens and womens bball, recently got Notre Dame, kind of a big name, and they sponsor the greatest player on the planet right now in Steph Curry....Carey Rich is just a nike fan boy anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT