ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

Nope...just would like for the Univ. of South Carolina football team to consistently be over .500.
Maybe you all have noticed UT hired a capable guy with an explosive offense.
Georgia....despite the many head in sanders we have on this board are a top 3 program nationally the last few years.
Florida just hired a young stud coach who has a lot to prove...and that's what is extra scary.
Kentucky retained a coach and staff that's better than ours and oh by the way have a top 10-12 national recruiting class (again.....at Kentucky).
*(EDIT)* Mizzou has a young, exciting coach with a resume and landing one of the more historic top recruiting classes ever at Missouri this year.
So...yeah I would love to see one of the best collegiate HCs of all time at South Carolina leading the football team. As a Gamecock fan....that does come naturally.
UF has been quite successful with its last 3 hires.
Muschamp
McElwain
Mullen

Those 3 took them to new lows. Hope the stud Napier continues that run.

UT is on its 5th coach since Fulmer.

Tell me which one of those models for coaching searches we should follow again? I get confused

Image has taken a major hit...kicking players and all. Thing that doesn't bode well for Urban is that his tactics likely wouldn't work well in an NIL/transfer portal college football world. It's basically the pros now. Players aren't stuck with you any longer. Not like he needs the money anyway.

Last edited:
I'm not troll Gamecock newbie/S. Beamer relative.
Unfortunately, I have already seen how this will end for you cuz.
I will still be here when you and he are on the Richmond Spider message board touting a top ten finish in the Polls in about 4 years.
What the hell are you talking about, how many damn times do I have to tell you that I only can't over to this toxic waste dump of a board when I gave up on cockytalk coming back, moron.

See my immediate post above this one.
I would prefer South Carolina football to be a top 10 program instead of a 7-5 program annually.
So....there are no eye winks necessary or implied. There is no dry humor.
I would like to see a big time coaching talent in place. Which is why I wanted Smart, then Fleck and then either Napier or Chadwell (since the word was we HAD to go on the cheap for a hire). I would take UM over all those guys....pretty much over anyone except Saban.
From your initial post, I made the assumption that you thought USC should be looking for someone who was already at (if not past) the apex of his career, which is how I think of Meyer.

I'm unfamiliar with this - what did he do? Something scandalous?
Poor recording keeping (i.e., expenses) while recruiting, plus he didn't get along that well with the administration in Chapel Hill. It's also when Dook AD Eddie Cameron and Frank began their mutual dislike for each other, which carried over to when McGuire landed in Columbia.

Unlike Urban, no abuse of players, staff members, etc. and definitely no inappropriate activities with women not named Mrs. Frank McGuire (he married twice - his first wife died circa 1967).

From what I've read and seen, McGuire carried a chip on his shoulder, but was loyal as h3ll to his friends and players.

Nope...just would like for the Univ. of South Carolina football team to consistently be over .500.
Maybe you all have noticed UT hired a capable guy with an explosive offense.
Georgia....despite the many head in sanders we have on this board are a top 3 program nationally the last few years.
Florida just hired a young stud coach who has a lot to prove...and that's what is extra scary.
Kentucky retained a coach and staff that's better than ours and oh by the way have a top 10-12 national recruiting class (again.....at Kentucky).
*(EDIT)* Mizzou has a young, exciting coach with a resume and landing one of the more historic top recruiting classes ever at Missouri this year.
So...yeah I would love to see one of the best collegiate HCs of all time at South Carolina leading the football team. As a Gamecock fan....that does come naturally.
Jeez bro. We get it, the school didn't take your advice on who our coach should be. Why don't you swallow your pride just for a year or two. You seriously need a participation trophy or something? You and one other person here are bordering on mental illness with this crap.

Muschamp
McElwain
Mullen

Tell me which one of those models for coaching searches we should follow again? I get confused
Exactly. We have to wonder if this guy runs out and buys a newer bigger car every time one of his neighbors gets a new one.

Folks were already talking about the possibility that he'd canned before the season even started. I don't remember the last guy who started his coaching tenure with the assumption that he'd be fired.

See my immediate post above this one.
I would prefer South Carolina football to be a top 10 program instead of a 7-5 program annually.
So....there are no eye winks necessary or implied. There is no dry humor.
I would like to see a big time coaching talent in place. Which is why I wanted Smart, then Fleck and then either Napier or Chadwell (since the word was we HAD to go on the cheap for a hire). I would take UM over all those guys....pretty much over anyone except Saban.
After having had Holtz and Spurrier as head coach at USC past their prime (and they did good for USC, no question about it), I would rather have someone like a Shane Beamer (or a Chadwell) who will put in the necessary work it takes for USC to be a contender year in and year out for many years, and who will stay in Columbia for many years.

On many threads, I have posted that I want all varsity sports at USC (whether I follow the individual sport closely, casually, or not at all) to compete well, be a championship contender year in and year out, and represent USC well. Someone with the baggage which accompanies Urban Meyer and the like would not represent USC well, IMO. Thus, I'm not willing to pay any price for "success," e.g., Clemron's ersatz 1981 title.

You'd think our fans would understand the difference between coaching college football and the NFL after Holtz and Spurrier. Until he fails at a the college level, he's still one heckuva college coach....even if you don't like his personality.

Colorado State could be a possiblity.....or he could wait until next year for a position to open....as they always do.
Espn countdown just skewered him, Rex Ryan piled on quite a bit!

Reactions: rogue cock
Sure, another college program will take a chance on Meyer. However, the scandal that ended his tenure at OSU, the Chris Doyle attempted hire, and the Josh Lambo allegations will hurt him in living rooms. He will have to be successful with talent that is a notch below than what he has become used to.

Last edited:
He did everything and more that Art Briles did. Enabler of rapists.
Haven't followed his career that closely, but don't remember those allegations. I know he protected a coach that abused his spouse. No one will touch Briles, he has to coach in Italy....because nobody in the US or Canada will touch him.

Maybe his ego is big enough to take another job, I’m sure he will get fairly big time offers in time. But after this year and his supposed health issues, if I were him I’d ride off somewhere nice and enjoy life! If you’re going to do it the right way hc is a 24/7 job, I for one think they earn there money!

Muschamp
McElwain
Mullen

Who is talking coaching model searches.....that had nothing to do with the conversation JR.
if you think Mullen and his 70% win percentage was a bust, then you are as dumb as your argument attempt.
you must be pretty confused...if you think UT fans are unhappy with the asz beating they gave us this year. Hint- they ain’t scared, Florida ain’t scared and it sucks that in 2 years they will have coaches NOT on the hot seat ...but we will.

From your initial post, I made the assumption that you thought USC should be looking for someone who was already at (if not past) the apex of his career, which is how I think of Meyer.
He has had an unusual career for sure...not the normal trajectory of a top flight coach. I don’t personally like him...but he is still younger now than when Holtz or SOS took our job.
On another note- I love all the Baptist protestations UM, freeze, briles, chadwell and all the other talented coaches are receiving from our “Gamecock” supporters on here...all the while being enamored with squeaky clean Beamer. Like his wanting to be at Carolina and never having had to make any decisions or get scrutinized as a HC into the last 12 months are the two things that make him our bestest HC ever!!!! Smdh. Fools

Haven't followed his career that closely, but don't remember those allegations. I know he protected a coach that abused his spouse. No one will touch Briles, he has to coach in Italy....because nobody in the US or Canada will touch him.
I think that's more about the timing with which he got hit, lots before and since that did all the same including two at LSU, but it wasn't the right month for that flavor to get some ink.

Reactions: rogue cock
Who is talking coaching model searches.....that had nothing to do with the conversation JR.
if you think Mullen and his 70% win percentage was a bust, then you are as dumb as your argument attempt.
you must be pretty confused...if you think UT fans are unhappy with the asz beating they gave us this year. Hint- they ain’t scared, Florida ain’t scared and it sucks that in 2 years they will have coaches NOT on the hot seat ...but we will.
Mullen is a bust but not because if the last few years but this year. No recruiting, talent dropping off and inviting crap by making BS claims to the media. He got fired because everything he did convinced the powers at and the fanbase of Florida that he wouldn't stop the meltdown that started on his watch.

Edit: I wouldn't call a 4 year tenure a resounding success.

Mullen is a bust but not because if the last few years but this year. No recruiting, talent dropping off and inviting crap by making BS claims to the media. He got fired because everything he did convinced the powers at and the fanbase of Florida that he wouldn't stop the meltdown that started on his watch.

Edit: I wouldn't call a 4 year tenure a resounding success.
I do. 34-15 while playing your conference games in the SEC is what it is. Only one losing season (this year). I think it speaks more to the fanatical and unrealistic fanbase that UF football has become. They got really entitled after SOS tenure....remember so much so that they thought themselves above his return after his short stint in NFL. U Meyer took them to the greatest heights they’ve ever seen...and probably will ever see...and now they’re more entitled and out of touch than ever. They resemble UNC basketball fans and NY Yankee fans to me

Maybe his ego is big enough to take another job, I’m sure he will get fairly big time offers in time. But after this year and his supposed health issues, if I were him I’d ride off somewhere nice and enjoy life! If you’re going to do it the right way hc is a 24/7 job. I for one think they earn their money!
At the D-1 level, for sure it's 24/7. Probably not so much at D-II, D-III, and the NAIA. And for some people, they'd rather focus on teaching/coaching/mentoring and not so much on recruiting, and want a home life. And they're willing to not make millions of $$$ as a trade-off. Having options out there to fit the needs of the individual is a good thing, as long as you take the responsibilities for which you signed up seriously.

Last edited:
He has had an unusual career for sure...not the normal trajectory of a top flight coach. I don’t personally like him...but he is still younger now than when Holtz or SOS took our job.
On another note- I love all the Baptist protestations UM, freeze, briles, chadwell and all the other talented coaches are receiving from our “Gamecock” supporters on here...all the while being enamored with squeaky clean Beamer. Like his wanting to be at Carolina and never having had to make any decisions or get scrutinized as a HC into the last 12 months are the two things that make him our bestest HC ever!!!! Smdh. Fools
I'll of course stipulate that you believe hiring Beamer was a dumb move and ultimately he will be unsuccessful at USC. Given that he is the current HC, do you want him to succeed at USC?

I do. 34-15 while playing your conference games in the SEC is what it is. Only one losing season (this year). I think it speaks more to the fanatical and unrealistic fanbase that UF football has become. They got really entitled after SOS tenure....remember so much so that they thought themselves above his return after his short stint in NFL. U Meyer took them to the greatest heights they’ve ever seen...and probably will ever see...and now they’re more entitled and out of touch than ever. They resemble UNC basketball fans and NY Yankee fans to me
Just one question, what makes you any different than others on this board to say a coaching hire is definitely not going to work? I can see being critical of the Muschamp hire since he had already failed at UF, but we still don't really know what we have with Shane, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt until at least his 3rd class and 4th season on the field, I would guess there is a little bit of a learning curve in CFB head coaching!

And my other question is what big time coach do you think we could have got to come here, it's not like we are some powerhouse with a great tradition to just hire anyone we want! Kirby turned us down, never been a head coach, and I've heard Napier declined us, I can't argue Kirby wouldn't have been a HR hire, but like Shane Napier still has to prove it on the big stage and I would think UF is set up to do that a lot easier than us. We're more in the UK and Mizzou tier, Stoops and Drinkwitz have taken their lumps, but those schools have stuck with them and you're starting to see that they've built it the right way, much more stability than the hire and fire strategies of UF and UT! UT might have finally found it, but I think the jury is still out on Heupel, now if he can make some gains next year they might have found it!

Was the average Gator fan appalled when the UF AD required SOS to submit a resume to apply for his old job?

Subjectively speaking, the powers-that-be-in Gainesville apparently felt that Mullen was representing the school so poorly that it overshadowed 34-15 and they had to cut him loose.

Last edited:
I'll agree that they're spoiled, but if Mullen was arrogant and combative and accepted responsibility he would've had another season.

And you resemble them. The funny thing is you can't see it.

Just one question, what makes you any different than others on this board to say a coaching hire is definitely not going to work? I can see being critical of the Muschamp hire since he had already failed at UF, but we still don't really know what we have with Shane, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt until at least his 3rd class and 4th season on the field, I would guess there is a little bit of a learning curve in CFB head coaching!

And my other question is what big time coach do you think we could have got to come here, it's not like we are some powerhouse with a great tradition to just hire anyone we want! Kirby turned us down, never been a head coach, and I've heard Napier declined us, I can't argue Kirby wouldn't have been a HR hire, but like Shane Napier still has to prove it on the big stage and I would think UF is set up to do that a lot easier than us. We're more in the UK and Mizzou tier, Stoops and Drinkwitz have taken their lumps, but those schools have stuck with them and you're starting to see that they've built it the right way, much more stability than the hire and fire strategies of UF and UT! UT might have finally found it, but I think the jury is still out on Heupel, now if he can make some gains next year they might have found it!
Who knows if Smart would have been a HR hire? Being the HC at Georgia is different than being here.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we just aren’t an attractive place right now. We have been in a downward trend for a few years, SC has some great HS talent but number wise can’t support a program, we have had some good years here and there but have never had decades of success,and quite honestly, I’m not sure we will keep up in the NIL battle.

I have seen this question posted a few times…as a program, what has been the problem? It isn’t fans showing up. Since we joined the SEC, it isn’t money. Even with quality ADs, the success trickles. We have had presidents that were very supportive of athletics. It is an interesting, and frustrating, conundrum.

Who knows if Smart would have been a HR hire? Being the HC at Georgia is different than being here.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we just aren’t an attractive place right now. We have been in a downward trend for a few years, SC has some great HS talent but number wise can’t support a program, we have had some good years here and there but have never had decades of success,and quite honestly, I’m not sure we will keep up in the NIL battle.

I have seen this question posted a few times…as a program, what has been the problem? It isn’t fans showing up. Since we joined the SEC, it isn’t money. Even with quality ADs, the success trickles. We have had presidents that were very supportive of athletics. It is an interesting, and frustrating, conundrum.
But, he was who we wanted and definitely would have been better than Muschamp!

And you resemble them. The funny thing is you can't see it.
You are an ignoramous sir/maam. By any gender....an idiot. I'm a lifelong Gamecock.......End of that story. I assume you know our football history.

Chapter 2: My becoming increasingly fed up with the lack of talent from the top of our hiring boards/powers that be to the actual football coaching staff over the last 6-7 years has absolutely nothing to do with elitist wanna be, band wagon, power hungry, the program is never wrong, entitled to the tilt groups that you speak of. I have gone from partially coercing to full out demanding that talented, capable individuals occupy these positions. Whether you're part of Beamer's family or not that has invaded this site, or a long time regular - my new stance is not changing...whether you like it or not.

Clemson fans, Tennessee fans, VIRGINIA TECH fans go right along with the UNC basketball and NY Yankee fans....but empirically I, like no true Gamecock, is like them in any way.

• Haha
Reactions: myrtlecock
IMHO, Kirby and Muschamp are almost one and the same, Kirby just has better players.
I disagree completely. Given what WM did at UF and Smart did at GA under similar circumstances (as much as can be at different Universities)....that's a pretty true case study showing Smart has already eclipsed the 'bust' category like WM never did at UF or USC.
Even consider the timeframe they were there. One wasn't starting out in 2000 and the other in 2018 (for example). Similar fanbases, expectations, recruiting platform, commitment to winning, etc, etc.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
You are an ignoramous sir/maam. By any gender....an idiot. I'm a lifelong Gamecock.......End of that story. I assume you know our football history.

Chapter 2: My becoming increasingly fed up with the lack of talent from the top of our hiring boards/powers that be to the actual football coaching staff over the last 6-7 years has absolutely nothing to do with elitist wanna be, band wagon, power hungry, the program is never wrong, entitled to the tilt groups that you speak of. I have gone from partially coercing to full out demanding that talented, capable individuals occupy these positions. Whether you're part of Beamer's family or not that has invaded this site, or a long time regular - my new stance is not changing...whether you like it or not.

Clemson fans, Tennessee fans, VIRGINIA TECH fans go right along with the UNC basketball and NY Yankee fans....but empirically I, like no true Gamecock, is like them in any way.
Awwwww...poor baby. You want a pacifier to go with that whining temper tantrum?

No you are acting exactly like the spoiled gator fans that live in this city of Gainesville with me. I've been a gamecock longer than you and when you say Spurrier ruined the Gator fans he also ruined a lot of gamecock fans and you're one of them.

Don't get me wrong It's better than being happy to win six or seven games every year but It doesn't mean you should pitch a fit for months because you didn't get your way. If the coaches we have now aren't up to the job they will be replaced in due time. Why don't you shut up and allow that process to happen? All your ranting and demanding is proving and accomplishing absolutely zero. So that makes you the idiot.

Reactions: kawalski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT