ADVERTISEMENT

Urbans a Jag

After the first game.....

43500_8767ba6a08ec2548e663182854a3a5fe.gif

I predict this will not go well.

This probably means he'll be back coaching college ball in a few years when he needs to rehab his career image before retiring. The NFL doesn't give you 4 years.
I predict you are correct on all accounts.

I predict this will not go well.

This probably means he'll be back coaching college ball in a few years when he needs to rehab his career image before retiring. The NFL doesn't give you 4 years.
Unless you’re Gruden and have this mystique about you that I’ve never understood.

What I don’t get about this hire is that’s a ton of money for a guy that has never coached at the professional level ever. Lots have tried and failed. Very few can transition successfully.

What I don’t get about this hire is that’s a ton of money for a guy that has never coached at the professional level ever. Lots have tried and failed. Very few can transition successfully.
He'll suck, there's no question. I guess Shad Khan wants to sell tickets to Jacksonville area UF fans

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
This is true. But these pro owners have more money than sense. At least it will be something interesting to follow when I view the highlight shows on the NFL network, which is as close to an NFL game as I am likely to get.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The NFL just can’t resist hiring college coaches even though it historically has almost no chance of success.

The NFL just can’t resist hiring college coaches even though it historically has almost no chance of success.

I think Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, and maybe Kliff Kingsbury (to a certain extent) have dispelled the “almost no chance of success” myth.

But I agree, most of the time it doesn’t work out (looking at Saban, Spurrier, Kiffin, etc)

Bill Walsh won at both levels . I think Meyer could also, but Jacksonville is not a quick fix for anyone.

I think Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, and maybe Kliff Kingsbury (to a certain extent) have dispelled the “almost no chance of success” myth.

But I agree, most of the time it doesn’t work out (looking at Saban, Spurrier, Kiffin, etc)
Jimmy Johnson too.

Carrol was in the NFL for a good long while before becoming a head coach with the Pats, then he went to SoCal and then back to NFL.

Walsh was primarily an NFL guy. Had a fair amount of NFL experience before his first stint at Stanford.

Strictly college guys who jump to the pros as a head coach is almost a guarantee failure though.

You’ve got Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh. Who else? Way too early to tell anything about Kingsbury.

They can’t resist the allure though. Beats me.

Reactions: king ward
Carrol was in the NFL for a good long while before becoming a head coach with the Pats, then he went to SoCal and then back to NFL.

Walsh was primarily an NFL guy. Had a fair amount of NFL experience before his first stint at Stanford.

Strictly college guys who jump to the pros as a head coach is almost a guarantee failure though.

You’ve got Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh. Who else? Way too early to tell anything about Kingsbury.

They can’t resist the allure though. Beats me.

Barry Switzer is another good example. In fact he seems to be a pretty close comparable to Urban, given that he achieved great success as a college coach and then took some years off from coaching before moving to the NFL. Once in the NFL, it’s fair to say he was very successful.

My point is that I don’t think it’s fair to say that college coaches jumping to the NFL almost never works. It might not work as often as teams would like, but there are plenty of instances where it has worked and has been very successful. People just tend to remember the high profile flops like Saban. Spurrier, and Chip Kelly.

Reactions: ddw1263
Tom Coughlin and Dick Vermeil.

Coughiin went from QB coach at BC to being an assistant in the NFL for 7 years prior to becoming an NFL head coach.

Vermeil had 2 stints in the NFL before becoming a NFL head coach.

It’s an exceedingly short list of pure college coaches who made the jump straight to NFL head coach and had success.

Don’t know if he has been hired yet and if not it’s a shame but Bienimy(sp) will make the better pro coach

How soon after the Jags have a 3 win season next year does he start having "health problems?"
I think Urban is ahead of his time, usually people of his age don't work the system as well to get out of situations they dont like. He is more like the 2020 Snowflakes that have issues when their homework is too hard and their car has a flat tire, can't handle the stress.

Reactions: Falcon2323
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT