ADVERTISEMENT

USC-Arkansas game observations

Carey Rich

Gamecock Central Basketball Analyst
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2008
I can finally admit that I was extremely nervous about the team going to Arkansas to play in one of the most difficult arenas. I became even more nervous after finding out that senior leader Michael Carrera wasn't available.

The Gamecocks got it done because they didn't get off to the customary slow start we've seen them subjected to lately on the road. By not getting off to the slow start, you're not chasing the other team down the stretch. When you're forced to chase, shots become a lot tighter, possessions become more pressurized and, finally, you're forced to exert so much energy.

Sindarius Thornwell was great yesterday. His stat line: 22 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. In our world, we call that stat stuffing or filling up the stat sheet from left to right. Duane Notice scored 15 points after only recording one field goal in the loss to Georgia. Chatkevicious and Kacinas combined to score 21 points and the team out rebounded Arkansas 41-26.

I also thought they got key minutes from a few freshmen. Raymond Doby, whose family came from about four hours away (Missouri), had a timely eight points and four rebounds. After settling and slowing down the first few minutes in the game, PJ Dozier did a very good job against Arkansas' pressure. He also made two huge 1-and-1 free throws in the waning moments when the Hogs were making that last run.

Going back to the Missouri loss, it looked like Frank lost confidence in those young guys. I understood his frustration, but I also was reminded that those guys played a huge role in the then 22-5 record that the Gamecocks possessed. I also knew they'd need those young guys again, which was evident in the Georgia game. Notice and Thornwell were both very tired. I know Duke has made it look easy by winning games with a six-man rotation, but trust me it's not the norm, especially with how hard Frank's team plays.

It was good to hear Frank admit as much last night after the game. He said: I'd lost faith in the freshmen the last few games but give them credit because they came up big today for us. That's why I thought it was important to help those young guys through some of those tough moments because ultimately you're going to need them again. Confidence is everything and regardless of the classification, if you don't have it, you're going to be ineffective.

Kudos to Frank also with his approach yesterday down the stretch. Bud Walton Arena is one of the most difficult places to play in the country because of the style and the raucous fans. Frank was very positive with the kids down the stretch. That was HUGE in my opinion. He seemed to go out of his way to clap when Arkansas was making that run. It's already difficult enough in the arena, fighting pressure and trying to withstand the opponents run. Great adjustment by Frank for adjusting and recognizing what his team needed at the time.

I was so happy for this team yesterday. I truly felt a part of it even though I was at home in Columbia. I've seen these guys build this thing piece by piece and I was so worried that a loss yesterday could cost them an opportunity to get their ticket punched to the NCAA Tournament. I truly feel like yesterday's game was the season for South Carolina but they persevered and got a big conference road win without their leading scorer and rebounder.

I'm confident in saying that this win punched their ticket. The staff and team were very excited and it made for a very fun flight back to Columbia last night. Not only do they get a two-game bye in the SEC Tournament but they also give the heartbeat of the team, Carrera, a chance to rest and get better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News