ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search

Of those being talked about, my top choice would be Kevin O'Sullivan, but I do not see it happening. Even though apparently he came close to taking the job before Kingston was hired.
Yeah, if he even interviews (probably longshot of that happening) he's probably just looking for a raise from UF.

Godwin is officially available for an interview now.
I WILL TAKE LANDON POWELL OVER ANY OF THEM!!! 75.1% WINNING PERCENT, 2022 NCAA DIV.2 NAT. CHAMPS, 5 OUT OF 10 YRS. AS CONFERENCE CHAMPS, 6 POST SEASON APPEARANCES. COMMON GUYS THE SEARCH IS OVER. THE COACHES AT LOUISVILLE, FLORIDA AND E.C.U. ARE AT RISK OF COACHING BURNOUT.

Reactions: coastie72
I WILL TAKE LANDON POWELL OVER ANY OF THEM!!! 75.1% WINNING PERCENT, 2022 NCAA DIV.2 NAT. CHAMPS, 5 OUT OF 10 YRS. AS CONFERENCE CHAMPS, 6 POST SEASON APPEARANCES. COMMON GUYS THE SEARCH IS OVER. THE COACHES AT LOUISVILLE, FLORIDA AND E.C.U. ARE AT RISK OF COACHING BURNOUT. (AND WAY OVERPRICED)
LANDON HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY. IS A HELL OF A RECRUITER AND WOULD BE HUNGRY FOR SUCCESS (LIKE TANNER WAS ONCE UPON A TIME.) HE WON THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP IN HIS SECOND YEAR AS HEAD COACH. HOW MANY YEARS AGO DID U.S.C. WIN A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP? 14???

LANDON HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY. IS A HELL OF A RECRUITER AND WOULD BE HUNGRY FOR SUCCESS (LIKE TANNER WAS ONCE UPON A TIME.) HE WON THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP IN HIS SECOND YEAR AS HEAD COACH. HOW MANY YEARS AGO DID U.S.C. WIN A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP? 14???

GOOGLE SEARCH LANDON POWELL. HE EVEN LOOKS LIKE A MAN'S MAN TYPE COACH. COACH TANNER, SIGN HIM TOMORROW.

Tony Vitello is at UT. His record is 287-110 since he has been there. But the thing to look at is his history.
Tony had never been a head coach before UT hired him. In his 2nd year he had them in a Regional. In his 4th year they went to the world series. The next year made a Super and was in the world series again his 6th year. He has them ranked in the top 5 and back in a Super this year. Probably back on the way to the World series.
He had never been a head coach. But he did have lots of recruiting experience. I think giving Landon Powell a shot would be a great hire. He has not been a D1 head coach but he does have recruiting experience and winning experience.
No since hiring someone that has been at it for years and years, already has a high salary, and still has not made regular appearances at the world series.
Hire Landon, offer him about $500K to start and see where it goes.

Reactions: coastie72
Tony Vitello is at UT. His record is 287-110 since he has been there. But the thing to look at is his history.
Tony had never been a head coach before UT hired him. In his 2nd year he had them in a Regional. In his 4th year they went to the world series. The next year made a Super and was in the world series again his 6th year. He has them ranked in the top 5 and back in a Super this year. Probably back on the way to the World series.
He had never been a head coach. But he did have lots of recruiting experience. I think giving Landon Powell a shot would be a great hire. He has not been a D1 head coach but he does have recruiting experience and winning experience.
No since hiring someone that has been at it for years and years, already has a high salary, and still has not made regular appearances at the world series.
Hire Landon, offer him about $500K to start and see where it goes.

I think the risk is too great on a Division 3 coach with no major college coaching experience at all- not even a little bit.

I'm not opposed to it but the risk is sky high. if he had a tough 1st year, the program might not recover for years. The word would be that South Carolina's head coach doesn't know what he's doing at this level and we don't care anymore about baseball. It would be absolutely brutal.

What’s there to lose if we hire Landon Powell??? I say shout it from the rooftops.

Hiring someone with no major college coaching experience at all- not even as an assistant?

I mean the same folks clamoring for him are the same ones screaming bloody murder that Tanner would spend a second daring to think about hiring a football coach that hadn't been a coordinator.

Phil Kornblut talked about this last night. He seemed to think it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to consider it- but he didn't think it would happen. But he also talked about how being a head coach at South Carolina and dealing with donors and board members, and all the moving parts of a job like an SEC job would be nothing remotely close to what he deals with at North Greenville- which is just focusing on baseball. Just the media environment at South Carolina would be a totally new experience and something unlike what he's dealt with at all.

If people understand this would be a 100% learning experience for him, and would give him time- maybe several years- to get his feet under him, it might work out ok.

But hiring a head coach with no major college coaching experience at all- not even a week of it- is a huge gamble.

Hiring someone with no major college coaching experience at all- not even as an assistant?

I mean the same folks clamoring for him are the same ones screaming bloody murder that Tanner would spend a second daring to think about hiring a football coach that hadn't been a coordinator.

Phil Kornblut talked about this last night. He seemed to think it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to consider it- but he didn't think it would happen. But he also talked about how being a head coach at South Carolina and dealing with donors and board members, and all the moving parts of a job like an SEC job would be nothing remotely close to what he deals with at North Greenville- which is just focusing on baseball. Just the media environment at South Carolina would be a totally new experience and something unlike what he's dealt with at all.

If people understand this would be a 100% learning experience for him, and would give him time- maybe several years- to get his feet under him, it might work out ok.

But hiring a head coach with no major college coaching experience at all- not even a week of it- is a huge gamble.
I think it was sarcasm. That's how I took it at least.

I don't think it will happen but have no idea.

If he hired someone like Landon- it would be a huge gamble and folks on here would rip Ray to pieces if he didn't win but about 29 games next year.

However, the only way it would make any sense is as if Landon hired someone like Jim Toman as his main assistant- an experienced assistant and head coach.

I don't see it happening though.

Yeah, if he even interviews (probably longshot of that happening) he's probably just looking for a raise from UF.
FORGET FLORIDA, WAKE FOREST AND MISS STATE. LANDON POWELL HAS, ALREADY, WON A DIVISION II NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AND FIVE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS. RAY, GET HIM BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES.

Reactions: max81
Do you realize the difference between N Greenville to the SEC??...we have gambled too much in the past!
I just don't want to hire a coach that reaches his pinnacle in 2-3 years and goes downhill from there. (The Spurrier- Holtz Syndrome). Landon Powell is not a Darren Horn or a Mark Kingston. He won the conference championship in his second year. He was the #2 rated high school baseball player in America in the 11th grade. His team had 7 all conference players on this years team and played in the Div. II CWS. One of his teams won the CWS. He played in the major leagues for a short time. As for the small college vs. SEC concern. He spent four years playing for one of the best college coaches in the game and in the S.E.C. He knows how it works and would bring a passion to coach where he played. He's young, hungry and is national coach of the year material in Div. II He, also, has to be one hell of a recruiter, with 7 all conference players on one team.

Reactions: PaleoCock
I'd go with Monte at this point. It's clear the players support him even though I know they don't get to make the choice.

regardless, I think it would be as good a choice as any.

I just don't want to hire a coach that reaches his pinnacle in 2-3 years and goes downhill from there. (The Spurrier- Holtz Syndrome). Landon Powell is not a Darren Horn or a Mark Kingston. He won the conference championship in his second year. He was the #2 rated high school baseball player in America in the 11th grade. His team had 7 all conference players on this years team and played in the Div. II CWS. One of his teams won the CWS. He played in the major leagues for a short time. As for the small college vs. SEC concern. He spent four years playing for one of the best college coaches in the game and in the S.E.C. He knows how it works and would bring a passion to coach where he played. He's young, hungry and is national coach of the year material in Div. II He, also, has to be one hell of a recruiter, with 7 all conference players on one team.
I think he would be a good hire too. However, I also agree with DeeDave about perception if things were to go South given that he doesn't have the D1 head coaching experience. Similar to Beamer, it would likely be viewed as a homer hire with someone who didn't have experience at HC.

Lee was fired by CU for having the same record that we fired Kingston for. I thought CU had hit gold when they hired him.

I am 100% certain he learned a lot about what happened there, and he's so well liked by recruits, I think we could benefit from his experience.

Sometimes the best lessons are learned when things go bad - as long as you don't give up and use it as a learning experience.

I think it could be argued he could recruit better at South Carolina than at Clemson with his experience and knowledge and connections in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.

I am 100% certain he learned a lot about what happened there, and he's so well liked by recruits, I think we could benefit from his experience.

Sometimes the best lessons are learned when things go bad - as long as you don't give up and use it as a learning experience.

I think it could be argued he could recruit better at South Carolina than at Clemson with his experience and knowledge and connections in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.
Ray fell for the same story from Muschamp. When he interviewed at Carolina he had learned from his mistakes at UF yada yada. Some guys are better suited as assistants or coordinators in football/hitting or pitching coaches in baseball. I agree with the recruiting comment. Retain him on the staff. If Ray settles for Lee, it proves how lazy he is as an AD. Allowing former players to make hiring decisions is not how successful AD'S run athletic programs.

Reactions: uscwatson21

lol no. It's the people who thought hiring Beamer was a good idea that think hiring Powell would be another good idea.

Apparently the recruits want Lee retained, maybe keep him as an assistant until new coach gets his footing. I like the ECU guy, but I am not making that decision. My guess is whatever it is, Ray will screw it up!!

Ray fell for the same story from Muschamp. When he interviewed at Carolina he had learned from his mistakes at UF yada yada. Some guys are better suited as assistants or coordinators in football/hitting or pitching coaches in baseball. I agree with the recruiting comment. Retain him on the staff. If Ray settles for Lee, it proves how lazy he is as an AD. Allowing former players to make hiring decisions is not how successful AD'S run athletic programs.
I don't think Muschamp was a good fit. It's clear his personality isn't one fit to be a head coach. He's too big of a jerk, the opposite of Monte.

Apparently the recruits want Lee retained, maybe keep him as an assistant until new coach gets his footing. I like the ECU guy, but I am not making that decision. My guess is whatever it is, Ray will screw it up!!

The ECU coach seems to be a good choice, but he's never got past a Super Regional either with what appears to be some good teams. I am not sure why he'd leave his alma mater for South Carolina right now.

The ECU coach seems to be a good choice, but he's never got past a Super Regional either with what appears to be some good teams. I am not sure why he'd leave his alma mater for South Carolina right now.
He might be able to take the next step at an SEC school! Facilities and all have to be better than ECU you would think! I unlike many others trust in Ray to get it right this time, I just hope the interview process brings out the coach that's going to get us back in the national elite programs!

He might be able to take the next step at an SEC school! Facilities and all have to be better than ECU you would think! I unlike many others trust in Ray to get it right this time, I just hope the interview process brings out the coach that's going to get us back in the national elite programs!
I am not sure. ECU's baseball stadium is only a bit older than ours and it's very nice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT