ADVERTISEMENT

USC Basketball Report - 21 Jan

RileyCock

Jan 4, 2020
Columbia
Well, the NET is now #112 and USC has virtually no hope of making the tournament. If USC can go 9-4 over the next 13, which would include at worst a 5-4 record in Quad 1 and Quad 2 games and a great last 10 would probably be enough. However, who actually believes this can happen.

1. Upcoming schedule: USC projected to go 4-9 in the last 13 games (2-11 is realistic) and should barely be a favorite over Quad 3 Vanderbilt at home. The next two games are must win.

After these two, USC is dog against (approximately) at Texas A&M (+8.4), at Miss State (+10.1), v. Tennessee (+7), v. Kentucky (+10.5), at Mississippi (+4.5), v. LSU (+9), v. Miss State (+3), at Alabama (+14.6) and at Auburn (+18.6). USC should be favored (approximately) v. Georgie (-8.1), v. Vanderbilt (-0.5), at Georgia (-0.6), and v. Missouri (-7.9).

2. Lost the Team x2

After the Arkansas game, GCC's own Mike Uva tweeted the following: "I asked Frank Martin about the decision not to play Jermaine Cousinard or AJ Wilson tonight. He said they need to get to a place mentally where they are able to do what they're being asked to. There was no plan to not play them and that they needed to stay ready if called upon."

I think this statement is telling because it indicates that Cousinard and Wilson are not buying into what Frank is selling. So, he's lost a big core of the team and is a big indicator that 9-4 is impossible. Pair this with the debacle of last season and I don't think anyone can legitimately buy Frank's "I know what what went wrong and I am the one to fix it." Many of y'all don't like him anyway but I think the Frank fans and the hopeful folks can't think this is a tenable situation moving past this year.

Personally, I'm seeing a lot of Msuchamp, "I'm not changing. I know how to win" and we know how that play out.

3. The missing #4 and beating the AJ Wilson horse, again.

At one point in the season, USC had the #2 2-pt defense in the nation. In fairness, this is not an adjusted number but indicated at least some defensive competence and the core of Frank's defensive philosophy. In SEC play, teams are now shooting 53.7% in 2-pt shooting. I believe this is because we have absolutely no #4 on the court in our man-to-man defense.

Since AJ Wilson either mouthed-off or did whatever to enter the doghouse, USC gave up 50% to Tennessee, 74.1% to Florida and 50.0% to Arkansas. In watching the games, it appears most of these points are passes off of double team by #5 or second chance points due to lack of defensive rebounding (11th in the SEC).

USC cannot be successful with Bryant and Martin playing the #4. The two guys are #10 and #12 on the team in (SEC) Player Efficiency Rating and are replacing the #1 player in Wilson. Bryant is fine at offensive rebounding and Martin plays hard but these guys are purely over their heads playing #4. This is why Carolina is much more successful playing zone defense than man-to-man. Well, Frank isn't doing enough zone, isn't playing Wilson and isn't even trying to play two bigs in man-to-man.

Other AJ Wilson SEC stats - #1 in true shooting percentage, #3 in offensive rebounding percentage, #1 in defensive rebounding percentage, #3 is assist percentage, #3 in block percentage, #2 in turnover percentage, #1 in win share per 40 minutes (only player considered above average on the team).

4. The mirage of the 7 point lead against Arkansas

It did look like Brian Steele did a good job game planning for Arkansas and integrating D. Carter into an attack offense that too Arkansas off their game. However, a lot of the offensive success was due to going +6 with Vanover on the Court for Arkansas and a couple late deep threes. Add in foul trouble for Williams an Notae (Arkansas -15 in the first half with Notae on the bench; -10 in the first half with Williams on the bench -- some of it overlapped). Once, Arkansas got into halftime and made their adjustments, they stopped USC's offense and exploited the #4 hole and shot 57.7% on 2-pointers in the second half (40.9% in the first half) and a 26-8 advantage in the paint.

Georgia is mediocre to terrible in most categories, especially defense. However, they do not foul much and they #1 in free throw percentage. USC's over-fouling may be the thing that keeps Georgia in the game and will be something to look at tomorrow.

Love to hear additional thoughts.

Letting it play out and will be fired at the end of the year, right?

Frank, who I like, seems to merely taking a final lap paycheck from us. He can coach, his recruiting is horrid! You can’t coach up gigs that can’t catch an entry pass, guards can’t defend the penetration dribble/drive, and other ‘projects’. Martin never recruits pure shooters, FT % is always subpar.

Time to part ways with Frank at seasons end.

Well, the NET is now #112 and USC has virtually no hope of making the tournament. If USC can go 9-4 over the next 13, which would include at worst a 5-4 record in Quad 1 and Quad 2 games and a great last 10 would probably be enough. However, who actually believes this can happen.

1. Upcoming schedule: USC projected to go 4-9 in the last 13 games (2-11 is realistic) and should barely be a favorite over Quad 3 Vanderbilt at home. The next two games are must win.

After these two, USC is dog against (approximately) at Texas A&M (+8.4), at Miss State (+10.1), v. Tennessee (+7), v. Kentucky (+10.5), at Mississippi (+4.5), v. LSU (+9), v. Miss State (+3), at Alabama (+14.6) and at Auburn (+18.6). USC should be favored (approximately) v. Georgie (-8.1), v. Vanderbilt (-0.5), at Georgia (-0.6), and v. Missouri (-7.9).

2. Lost the Team x2

After the Arkansas game, GCC's own Mike Uva tweeted the following: "I asked Frank Martin about the decision not to play Jermaine Cousinard or AJ Wilson tonight. He said they need to get to a place mentally where they are able to do what they're being asked to. There was no plan to not play them and that they needed to stay ready if called upon."

I think this statement is telling because it indicates that Cousinard and Wilson are not buying into what Frank is selling. So, he's lost a big core of the team and is a big indicator that 9-4 is impossible. Pair this with the debacle of last season and I don't think anyone can legitimately buy Frank's "I know what what went wrong and I am the one to fix it." Many of y'all don't like him anyway but I think the Frank fans and the hopeful folks can't think this is a tenable situation moving past this year.

Personally, I'm seeing a lot of Msuchamp, "I'm not changing. I know how to win" and we know how that play out.

At one point in the season, USC had the #2 2-pt defense in the nation. In fairness, this is not an adjusted number but indicated at least some defensive competence and the core of Frank's defensive philosophy. In SEC play, teams are now shooting 53.7% in 2-pt shooting. I believe this is because we have absolutely no #4 on the court in our man-to-man defense.

Since AJ Wilson either mouthed-off or did whatever to enter the doghouse, USC gave up 50% to Tennessee, 74.1% to Florida and 50.0% to Arkansas. In watching the games, it appears most of these points are passes off of double team by #5 or second chance points due to lack of defensive rebounding (11th in the SEC).

USC cannot be successful with Bryant and Martin playing the #4. The two guys are #10 and #12 on the team in (SEC) Player Efficiency Rating and are replacing the #1 player in Wilson. Bryant is fine at offensive rebounding and Martin plays hard but these guys are purely over their heads playing #4. This is why Carolina is much more successful playing zone defense than man-to-man. Well, Frank isn't doing enough zone, isn't playing Wilson and isn't even trying to play two bigs in man-to-man.

Other AJ Wilson SEC stats - #1 in true shooting percentage, #3 in offensive rebounding percentage, #1 in defensive rebounding percentage, #3 is assist percentage, #3 in block percentage, #2 in turnover percentage, #1 in win share per 40 minutes (only player considered above average on the team).

It did look like Brian Steele did a good job game planning for Arkansas and integrating D. Carter into an attack offense that too Arkansas off their game. However, a lot of the offensive success was due to going +6 with Vanover on the Court for Arkansas and a couple late deep threes. Add in foul trouble for Williams an Notae (Arkansas -15 in the first half with Notae on the bench; -10 in the first half with Williams on the bench -- some of it overlapped). Once, Arkansas got into halftime and made their adjustments, they stopped USC's offense and exploited the #4 hole and shot 57.7% on 2-pointers in the second half (40.9% in the first half) and a 26-8 advantage in the paint.

Georgia is mediocre to terrible in most categories, especially defense. However, they do not foul much and they #1 in free throw percentage. USC's over-fouling may be the thing that keeps Georgia in the game and will be something to look at tomorrow.

Most depressing post on this site today - or this week, for that matter. But, not surprising in the least. As much as I have now become extremely fond of 'Welcome Home' tweets, I think at this point in time, I would be even more thrilled to finally see a 'See Ya' Later' tweet.

Frank, who I like, seems to merely taking a final lap paycheck from us. He can coach, his recruiting is horrid! You can’t coach up gigs that can’t catch an entry pass, guards can’t defend the penetration dribble/drive, and other ‘projects’. Martin never recruits pure shooters, FT % is always subpar.

Time to part ways with Frank at seasons end.
I’m not sure that’s all true. I think he recruits shooters, but they either don’t come or his scheme takes 100% of the offensive capability away from the player. I tend to think it’s both. I can promise you these players are better than how they are performing on the court. In my opinion, that’s 100% a coaching problem.

I’m not sure that’s all true. I think he recruits shooters, but they either don’t come or his scheme takes 100% of the offensive capability away from the player. I tend to think it’s both. I can promise you these players are better than how they are performing on the court. In my opinion, that’s 100% a coaching problem.
There’s definitely some issues, and that issue is, they are the same issues year after year. That goes to his coaching, philosophy, and poor recruiting. I really wish Martin was doing better here, but he’s not, and we need new MBB leadership!

Reactions: CarolinaCocky83
I’m not buying it. (That his recruits have offensive potential but he coaches it out of them). Devin Carter is his first 4 star in what, 5 years? Plus, while I haven’t done research on this, I can’t think of anyone who transferred out and was able to be a high-level producer at another school. Frank has missed time and time again on in-state talent, and can’t pull talent from out of state.

2. Lost the Team x2

Great insight. I love the fact you mentioned Coach Steele. I’m not sure many people realize how much he put into the program as a player, playing on a bad knee and pretty much sacrificing what was left of his playing career to play on an NIT team that eventually paved the way for our best years under Martin. As a coach, he has been present at a lot of in state events more than any other Gamecock basketball coach I can think of in recent memory. I think he’s a good young assistant, but I am concerned he’s on board the Titanic at this point. I hope the new coach decides to keep him.

As much as I love this program and the basketball team in general, this ship has sunk. The player issues you’ve mentioned are not helping at a time where this team can’t afford chemistry issues. Not to mention our substitution pattern is bizarre and puzzling, to put it kindly. I am an optimist and at most I see 5 more wins out of this team heading into the SEC tourney…..and that might be too much.

What was so frustrating about Arky is we had a great game plan going in. But because of not playing two guys and no apparent adjustments made after halftime, we got plastered and lost a game that would have been a huge boost when we desperately needed it.

After those comments, I wouldn’t be against relieving Martin of his duties and letting Chuck Martin bring the train home this year.
Clearly by those stats AJ Wilson isn’t doing what’s needed 🙄….and I believe the rest of the staff feels the same way. Time for new blood. The players don’t respond to it but he will not adjust same storyline different player year after year. I’d be fine with him gone ASAP

I’m not buying it. (That his recruits have offensive potential but he coaches it out of them). Devin Carter is his first 4 star in what, 5 years? Plus, while I haven’t done research on this, I can’t think of anyone who transferred out and was able to be a high-level producer at another school. Frank has missed time and time again on in-state talent, and can’t pull talent from out of state.
Thought Couisnard was a 4 star but could be wrong.

Another thing I don’t understand. Not sure what the deal is with Couisnard and Wilson. Sure wish we had McCreary from last year too.
I love Reese and wish Stevenson was in another role, but those 2 have played a combined 850 minutes and have only been able to get to the line 39 times this year..

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Another thing I don’t understand. Not sure what the deal is with Couisnard and Wilson. Sure wish we had McCreary from last year too.
I love Reese and wish Stevenson was in another role, but those 2 have played a combined 850 minutes and have only been able to get to the line 39 times this year..

When I watched the team play there seemed to be a disconnect between Cousinard/Bryant and Hannibal/McCreary. Something just wasn't right with body language between those guys when they were on the floor together. What was surprising was seeing what appeared to be two of Frank's favorites Minaya and Frink leaving the program, too. Cousinard still seems disinterested (he does have a lot going on) and may have benefited from getting a fresh shot somewhere.

Reese and Stevenson are two mid-range shooters who can drain a 3 off of a set or off of an assist. I don't think dribbling or driving helps any of their shooting at all and generally results in being off-balanced or having their shot blocked. I wouldn't count on much FT contribution out of them.

When I watched the team play there seemed to be a disconnect between Cousinard/Bryant and Hannibal/McCreary. Something just wasn't right with body language between those guys when they were on the floor together. What was surprising was seeing what appeared to be two of Frank's favorites Minaya and Frink leaving the program, too. Cousinard still seems disinterested (he does have a lot going on) and may have benefited from getting a fresh shot somewhere.

Reese and Stevenson are two mid-range shooters who can drain a 3 off of a set or off of an assist. I don't think dribbling or driving helps any of their shooting at all and generally results in being off-balanced or having their shot blocked. I wouldn't count on much FT contribution out of them.
Completely agree but seems to go against the identity that Frank prefers, so what’s the end game? And that’s where Stevenson gets in trouble is trying to penetrate. Thats not his game.
I have grown somewhat apathetic to Frank. There is no continuity or team building so year after year it takes too long developing any chemistry.
People lament the talent, but to me I see the talent with no cohesion.
Who are we this year? What’s our identity?

Reese is a good shooter but pretty weak otherwise offensively, he seems to do well when he’s not being asked to handle to ball much.

Stevenson to me needs to have his minutes cut to 10-15 a game max and earn his way back in…he looks out of control when handling the ball and it seems like 50% or so of the 3’s he takes are forced. When a guy is hot every 3 or 4 games it’s just not good enough.

Otherwise agreeing that the ship is sinking, I’m all for a mid season change and stated that in a post last week (Steel or the other coach Martin on staff)

Otherwise agreeing that the ship is sinking, I’m all for a mid season change and stated that in a post last week (Steel or the other coach Martin on staff)

This is where we screw the pooch as a University. IF we were to make a mid season change, Steele would be the guy to give the chance to. He’s a former Gamecock player, a young guy and a big change from Martin as a coach. He’s not ready to be a D1 Head Coach, but if anyone would give him the opportunity in a lame duck season it should be the alma mater. Who knows…it just might work and if it didn’t it wouldn’t hurt that much anyway.

In football, I’ll never understand why Mike Bozo got the interim gig when Connor Shaw should have been given that opportunity. It may not have panned out any different, but it’s about showing appreciation and giving an opportunity to someone the fan base can rally around. The only good thing about Bozo was Auburn paid us to take him off our hands. This worked out in the end since we ended up with Beamer, but had it not we would have just had more egg on the face.

This is where we screw the pooch as a University. IF we were to make a mid season change, Steele would be the guy to give the chance to. He’s a former Gamecock player, a young guy and a big change from Martin as a coach. He’s not ready to be a D1 Head Coach, but if anyone would give him the opportunity in a lame duck season it should be the alma mater. Who knows…it just might work and if it didn’t it wouldn’t hurt that much anyway.

In football, I’ll never understand why Mike Bozo got the interim gig when Connor Shaw should have been given that opportunity. It may not have panned out any different, but it’s about showing appreciation and giving an opportunity to someone the fan base can rally around. The only good thing about Bozo was Auburn paid us to take him off our hands. This worked out in the end since we ended up with Beamer, but had it not we would have just had more egg on the face
Shaw? I didn't think he wanted an on-the-field coaching position. He's always been kind of wishy-washy about it because of the time it takes away from his family. Seems he is more interested in administrative type positions.

Shaw? I didn't think he wanted an on-the-field coaching position. He's always been kind of wishy-washy about it because of the time it takes away from his family. Seems he is more interested in administrative type positions.
Might be true but in a lame duck season it would not have hurt. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think he did take an on field position for the remainder of that season.

Might be true but in a lame duck season it would not have hurt. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think he did take an on field position for the remainder of that season.
He did....interim QB coach. But immediately went back to the administrative side after the season. IIRC he had mentioned his preferences after he left the Furman assistant coach position.

He did....interim QB coach. But immediately went back to the administrative side after the season. IIRC he had mentioned his preferences after he left the Furman assistant coach position.
Good point. He may not have wanted it and we certainly should not give a head coaching gig to someone that doesn’t want it.

I still think the point is valid though. Give it to an alum in a lame duck season and see if it works. If it does, it rallies the players and fan base. If it doesn’t, then it didn’t hurt much.

Reactions: rogue cock
The difference between the basketball team and the football team is that the football team was greater than the sum of its parts, while the basketball team is less than the sum of its parts. They have some good players who can't seem to play together in long stretches. I expect the basketball team to play looser in the second half of the season since they will have nothing to lose, and they will perform better than anticipated. Having said that, I don't see Martin being retained at the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT