ADVERTISEMENT

USC elects Gen Robert Caslen as 29th President (Official Thread)

I'm not talking about his comments in the past. I'm taking about his answers when talking to the university community in his final pitch. The video is publicly available. He didn't seem to have familiarized himself with the university before showing up. I can only assume he believed (correctly so) that it was a foregone conclusion he'd get the job. To me, being unprepared for interview like this is a form of entitlement. Watch it and make your own conclusion.

I've watched it, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sincerely asking what statements he made that YOU think point to his lack of preparation or entitlement. You've already tipped your hand by saying you never had good luck with West Pointers. There is nothing he could have said to that crowd short of telling them he was transgender, that would have swayed an opinion. The arguments against him are pretty flimsy. If his academic credentials were identical and he had been the Chancellor at Oberlin or Bard, the faculty would be enthralled with him. Plain and simple, the faculty and students that are protesting are protesting against him because of his military background, fear he is conservative and because he's too pale and too male.

I've watched it, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sincerely asking what statements he made that YOU think point to his lack of preparation or entitlement. You've already tipped your hand by saying you never had good luck with West Pointers. There is nothing he could have said to that crowd short of telling them he was transgender, that would have swayed an opinion. The arguments against him are pretty flimsy. If his academic credentials were identical and he had been the Chancellor at Oberlin or Bard, the faculty would be enthralled with him. Plain and simple, the faculty and students that are protesting are protesting against him because of his military background, fear he is conservative and because he's too pale and too male.
Again, the previous guy was an old white guy and beloved. He's not not trans. How do you explain that?

I am a middle aged white guy and I feel grateful that I do not deal with the same discrimination as you victims. Guess I must be lucky.

Whether he felt entitled or not, his presentation was embarrassing. I've been involved in these kind of searches and seen dozens of candidate presentations for President and Provost searches; his was one of the weakest. He said virtually nothing during his 30+ minutes about USC or his vision for the university; he talked about his experience in the military and at West Point. For whatever reason, he simply wasn't prepared.

Again, the previous guy was an old white guy and beloved. He's not not trans. How do you explain that?

I am a middle aged white guy and I feel grateful that I do not deal with the same discrimination as you victims. Guess I must be lucky.

I think you're making my argument, do you think Pastides is a conservative? His parents, by the way are from Cyprus, not Greece. He's PC as hell, he's of Middle Eastern descent, he went to Yale. He gets bonus points for all of those.

Reactions: jonesz21
I think you're making my argument, do you think Pastides is a conservative? His parents, by the way are from Cyprus, not Greece. He's PC as hell, he's of Middle Eastern descent, he went to Yale. He gets bonus points for all of those.
His parents are Greeks, not Middle Eastern. Cyprus is divided, with 2/3 Greek. They're Caucasian. But whatever. I knew this would devolve into another discussion of politics. Jesus, this is going to be long 1.5 years.

What the heck are you talking about? Are you actually saying Greece isn't part of Europe? Laughing

Love the emoji, yes read over this slowly GREECE IS IN EUROPE. EUROPE IS A CONTINENT. THE MIDDLE EAST IS NOT A CONTINENT, IT IS A GEOGRAPHIC DESIGNATION. GREECE AND CYPRUS ARE BOTH IN THE MIDDLE EAST.

His parents are Greeks, not Middle Eastern. Cyprus is divided, with 2/3 Greek. They're Caucasian. But whatever. I knew this would devolve into another discussion of politics. Jesus, this is going to be long 1.5 years.

They are Cypriots. Cyprus is recognized as a middle eastern sovereign country by everyone but you and the Turkish government.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
They are Cypriots. Cyprus is recognized as a middle eastern sovereign country by everyone but you and the Turkish government.
So if Caucasians live in the Greek controlled side of Cyprus, they change ethnicity. Crazy! Thanks for catching me up.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Just going to lay this out there. You might want to catch the World Atlas up on this information. They have both Greece and Cyprus NOT listed as Middle Eastern countries. (That's what showing them in green means)

https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/me.htm

Reactions: jonesz21
list_trustees_124_williams_charles.jpg

Charles H. Williams

Biggest snowflake on the board .

Reactions: scgamecockfan
Just going to lay this out there. You might want to catch the World Atlas up on this information. They have both Greece and Cyprus NOT listed as Middle Eastern countries. (That's what showing them in green means)

https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/me.htm

If it made a rat's ass, I'd give you 5 sources that list Greece and Cyprus as Middle Eastern countries. His parents are from Cyprus, I'd give you 10 sources that list Cyprus as a Middle Eastern country. The point is,
whether you want to call his parents Middle Eastern or Mediterranean, liberals don't view him the same way they view a lily-white career military guy. Would you concede that? I'd say Rshaida Tlaib was a Caucasian but she says she's a "woman of color" and liberals nod in agreement.

I didn't care where the next president came from, but the way Caslen has been vilified is ridiculous. Pastides was one of McMaster's buddies too. He presided over a 65% increase in tuition, he encouraged giving seats to out of state students over in-state students and he saddled the university with enormous debt. We can't do much worse.

Lmao

If it made a rat's ass, I'd give you 5 sources that list Greece and Cyprus as Middle Eastern countries. His parents are from Cyprus, I'd give you 10 sources that list Cyprus as a Middle Eastern country. The point is,
whether you want to call his parents Middle Eastern or Mediterranean, liberals don't view him the same way they view a lily-white career military guy. Would you concede that? I'd say Rshaida Tlaib was a Caucasian but she says she's a "woman of color" and liberals nod in agreement.

I didn't care where the next president came from, but the way Caslen has been vilified is ridiculous. Pastides was one of McMaster's buddies too. He presided over a 65% increase in tuition, he encouraged giving seats to out of state students over in-state students and he saddled the university with enormous debt. We can't do much worse.
Every leader we have is someone’s buddy. That’s always been our problem

...honestly don’t have a problem with Caslen but this process has been a farce. Politicians are a huge reason why USC has had self inflicted wounds over the years that most other schools don’t have to deal with. The make up of our BOT are folks just trying to forward their political aspirations. I’m convinced that this sort of thing is why our football program has been dysfunctional so often.

Are you serious? DR. Dorn Smith , Dr. Eddie Floyd, and Rose Byuck have political aspirations, I did not know that. Dr. Eddie is close to 90. Good for him. Both Dorn and Rose have regional hometown banks to run, Dorn does this in addition to being one of the top heart surgeons in the South, I wouldn't think it would be a good idea for either of them to run for office, not only would both take huge pay cut , but would risk alienating half of their customers

Reactions: TarCock29
I think it was botched, I blame the Board, hiring a 65 year that retired a year ago from his most successful position, that isn't even fully qualified, seems like a stop gap, and why we would do that with this position is beyond me, vs get it right.

I'm a big Darla Moore Fan, as a human being and think she was right on the money again, it should have been reset.

I think its going to get a little darker around here

A bunch of old white dudes voted for a old white dude, we need to diversify the board.

Great idea, let's not put the best in there because of their sex or color, forget about what will be best for the University.

How about let's just put the most qualified person(s) on the BOT , regardless of age, race, or sex. And how do know the old white people are dudes....isn't gender fluid you guys. Did ask their gender or are you assuming it?

Last edited:
Reactions: TarCock29
I've enjoyed observing the angst over all this. The accompanying excrement-slinging, while not completely surprising, has - by the magnitude of it - turned out to be a bonus.

How much longer can I remain a middle age white dude? I miss being young at times but am grateful for what I know now, at some point I will be moved into the old guy category but I’m taking my golf game with me where ever possible.

Reactions: king ward

I looked it up only out of curiosity, because I could see it either way. Your statement that, "They are Cypriots. Cyprus is recognized as a middle eastern sovereign country by everyone but you and the Turkish government.." is flat out wrong. Clearly there are others who don't agree with you besides polo-loco, so you may want to tone down your indignation a bit.

That said, your vilification of Pastides is nearly as accurate as your previous statement. Pastides is widely respected nationally in Higher Ed circles and for a lot of good reasons. He may have presided over tuition increases, but you must be aware that those increases have been low on the national average, and came in coordination with dramatic cuts in state funding, which is now less than 10% of the overall budget. There is a correlation between those things that I would expect even you can figure out.

Taking more students, both in state and out of state, (at significantly higher tuition) is another way to battle the lack of state funding. This is a complex thing, and Pastides did an admirable job navigating a very difficult time for higher education, particularly in South Carolina.

The complaint many within the university have is with the process. Personally, I hope General Caslen does well. I love the university and want it to succeed at the highest level. However, the fact that many faculty and students don't see his experience as being requisite to the job at hand has little to do with his politics, and a lot to do with his experience.

How much longer can I remain a middle age white dude? I miss being young at times but am grateful for what I know now, at some point I will be moved into the old guy category but I’m taking my golf game with me where ever possible.

You'll know you are old when you trip and fall and people stop laughing and rush to see if you are OK. Happened to me last year....

I looked it up only out of curiosity, because I could see it either way. Your statement that, "They are Cypriots. Cyprus is recognized as a middle eastern sovereign country by everyone but you and the Turkish government.." is flat out wrong. Clearly there are others who don't agree with you besides polo-loco, so you may want to tone down your indignation a bit.

That said, your vilification of Pastides is nearly as accurate as your previous statement. Pastides is widely respected nationally in Higher Ed circles and for a lot of good reasons. He may have presided over tuition increases, but you must be aware that those increases have been low on the national average, and came in coordination with dramatic cuts in state funding, which is now less than 10% of the overall budget. There is a correlation between those things that I would expect even you can figure out.

Taking more students, both in state and out of state, (at significantly higher tuition) is another way to battle the lack of state funding. This is a complex thing, and Pastides did an admirable job navigating a very difficult time for higher education, particularly in South Carolina.

The complaint many within the university have is with the process. Personally, I hope General Caslen does well. I love the university and want it to succeed at the highest level. However, the fact that many faculty and students don't see his experience as being requisite to the job at hand has little to do with his politics, and a lot to do with his experience.

Who are the others that don't recognize Cyprus as a sovereign country? Certainly not the U.N. or the State Department.

No those increases in tuition aren't low by any standards, and next year thanks to Pastides they start charging students without health care $2,000.

Whatever the added burdens were for the school it certainly didn't cause Pastides any problem, he raised his own salary and all the faculty. It's great to be King.

You're a little short on facts, but you make up for it in condescension. When did you graduate from
The University?

Who are the others that don't recognize Cyprus as a sovereign country? Certainly not the U.N. or the State Department.

No those increases in tuition aren't low by any standards, and next year thanks to Pastides they start charging students without health care $2,000.

Whatever the added burdens were for the school it certainly didn't cause Pastides any problem, he raised his own salary and all the faculty. It's great to be King.

You're a little short on facts, but you make up for it in condescension. When did you graduate from
The University?

Reading is fundamental. The “middle eastern” part was significant. Not sure how you missed that, given it was a response to your statement.

the rest of your statements show a profound lack of understanding of many things, and I am not going in depth with you on this board. Good luck, you seem to be a very happy individual.

Will someone please post the link to Gen. Caslen’s interview. I can’t find it. Thanks!

Reactions: king ward
Reading is fundamental. The “middle eastern” part was significant. Not sure how you missed that, given it was a response to your statement.

the rest of your statements show a profound lack of understanding of many things, and I am not going in depth with you on this board. Good luck, you seem to be a very happy individual.

Maybe you didn't really understand that polo-loco was saying that Pastides parents weren't Cypriots that they were Greek. The "middle eastern" part really isn't significant to that at all.

Thank you so much for not going into my profound lack of understanding in depth, you're arguments are so cogent and you back them up with no facts. That talent will carry you a long way. What are you 12?

Maybe you didn't really understand that polo-loco was saying that Pastides parents weren't Cypriots that they were Greek. The "middle eastern" part really isn't significant to that at all.

Thank you so much for not going into my profound lack of understanding in depth, you're arguments are so cogent and you back them up with no facts. That talent will carry you a long way. What are you 12?

polo-loco said:
Greece is in Europe.

WOFJRP said:
Europe is a continent, the Middle East, which Greece is a part of, is a geographic designation.

Bless your heart.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
That was in response to Carolina 4 saying Pastides parents were Middle Eastern to which Polo-loco said "Greece is in Europe". I understand you're a little slow, but yes there are many sources that list GREECE IN THE MIDDLE EAST. So that would mean Greece is in the Middle East and Europe. You seem to be having trouble keeping up so get an adult to read this to you. The "bless your heart" is a nice touch though, you're NIKKI HALEY, aren't you. I'd go over the part about Cyprus again but you're struggling enough as it is.

polo-loco said:
Greece is in Europe.

WOFJRP said:
Europe is a continent, the Middle East, which Greece is a part of, is a geographic designation.

Bless your heart.

Last edited:
I play the golds now, score mainly in the 70's, and have a lot of fun. I'll be 69 on my birthday so I'm not apologizing. But the gold tees still won't help you if you can't hit the driver solidly and mostly straight. And you'd better be able to use all of your wedges, too. I don't consider that I'm much better than an average putter but the chipping and pitching are pretty good. The sand game doesn't get me killed. I don't hit any iron longer than a six-iron now (I'd like to eliminate even it) and have three hybrids and a fairway wood to cover everything else.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT