ADVERTISEMENT

USC Student Missing...

Not arguing against it. I don't give a sh** what happens to that animal. Perhaps life in prison, surrounded by the criminally deranged and the constant threat of sexual violence is worse. I really don't care. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Nothing will bring justice. The concept of justice in a case like this is just that... conceptual.
But injustice and travesty are actual. Whatever the greatest extent of the law is, that's the only thing that is appropriate in such a case as this.

But injustice and travesty are actual. Whatever the greatest extent of the law is, that's the only thing that is appropriate in such a case as this.

Again, not arguing against it in this case. I'm typically not a death penalty guy. Used to be, but I'm just not anymore. I've seen to many cases where innocent men were sent to death row. Usually minorities. It's expensive, and I'm not even sure it's a more severe punishment than rotting away in a God-forsaken prison.

I'm no bleeding heart. I just think the death penalty is ineffectual, and has certainly not shown to be a deterrent. And I also don't think it's such a great idea for the State to be in the business of killing people, because this awesome power can be (and often has been) be abused by the corrupt and misused by the incompetent. And hey, it also re-victimizes the deceased family each and every time there is an appeal.

But in particularly heinous cases like this, I would volunteer to throw the switch.

Again, not arguing against it in this case. I'm typically not a death penalty guy. Used to be, but I'm just not anymore. I've seen to many cases where innocent men were sent to death row. Usually minorities. It's expensive, and I'm not even sure it's a more severe punishment than rotting away in a God-forbidden prison.

I'm no bleeding heart. I just think the death penalty is ineffectual. And I also don't think it's such a great idea for the State to be in the business of killing people, because this awesome power can be (and often has been) be abused by the corrupt and misused by the incompetent. And hey, it also re-victimizes the deceased family each and every time there is an appeal.

But in particularly heinous cases like this, I would volunteer to throw the switch.
I appreciate both your sensibilities and your conclusion.

I join my heart with yours on that, my friend.
I watched the WIS Video. It made me cry just thinking of what went thru that young ladys mind during her entire time in that car... and them at the end... And now her parents!! I swear I tear up typing this...

I cannot even imagine how her dad and mom feel right now!! God Be With Them!!

She got into that car around 100 people. Just unreal. Nothing will stop someone that psychopathic. No matter how dumb you are you have to realize you will get caught. He was found at 3 AM. He had to be looking for another victim. Charlotte has had a record number of homicides. Columbia is not alone.

Again, not arguing against it in this case. I'm typically not a death penalty guy. Used to be, but I'm just not anymore. I've seen to many cases where innocent men were sent to death row. Usually minorities. It's expensive, and I'm not even sure it's a more severe punishment than rotting away in a God-forsaken prison.

I'm no bleeding heart. I just think the death penalty is ineffectual, and has certainly not shown to be a deterrent. And I also don't think it's such a great idea for the State to be in the business of killing people, because this awesome power can be (and often has been) be abused by the corrupt and misused by the incompetent. And hey, it also re-victimizes the deceased family each and every time there is an appeal.

after due process, perp and his nuts should be microwaved

They got the bastard....Nathaniel David Roland. Had child safety locks activated, roaming through the pick-up areas.

He is not the zodiac killer....just a murderer. I gave him too much credit for being intelligent and calculating. Really just a complete evil dumbass.

Will take our pathetic judicial system a pile of money and many years to put him into prison for good. Then he will win a lawsuit against the state for poor treatment and living conditions.

I am sure that there are few people who think we should spend money rehabilitating him for return to society. So I hope i do not offend when I say that we should execute all premeditated murderers.

Smash his head in tonight! Only way to kill a snake is to chop off his head.

Reactions: cockgun
Sad story... Columbia police will of course be taking the approach to prevent this from happening again by continuing to focus on arresting underaged drinkers.

What a God damn joke Columbias law enforcement and government officials are.
Not to take away from the absolute horrific crime but what do you propose the police could have done in this case? She willingly got in the wrong car. Then her killer came back to the area from which she was abducted 24 hours later and was apprehended.

after due process, perp and his nuts should be microwaved
I copied and commented on that about 45 minutes ago. I was a little too harsh so I deleted it. Suffice it to say that by all means do I concur with your point there ChuckyT, its just that what I suggested was a little more harsh of such!

Not to take away from the absolute horrific crime but what do you propose the police could have done in this case? She willingly got in the wrong car. Then her killer came back to the area from which she was abducted 24 hours later and was apprehended.
And you really think that constitutes murder? They should hang you with him on the grounds of just being stupid

She UNINTENTIONALLY AND ACCIDENTALLY got into the wrong car!!

But I concede your point in regards to the cops. I mean what else could they have possibly done?? Nada amigo. Nada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zann77

Maybe not sit on their asses in the parking lot next to the fountain and patrol the area?

Maybe if this guy saw a cop walking by he wouldn't have stopped to try to pick her up.

Or this girl could have gotten a cops attention when she realized it wasn't an Uber.

And you really think that constitutes murder? They should hang you with him on the grounds of just being stupid
Maybe not sit on their asses in the parking lot next to the fountain and patrol the area?

Maybe if this guy saw a cop walking by he wouldn't have stopped to try to pick her up.

Or this girl could have gotten a cops attention when she realized it wasn't an Uber.

There is nothing the cops could have done in this situation. The times I’ve been back to Five Points recently, there are cops on every street corner almost. Always walking through out in front of the bars.

There is also Uber after Uber pulling up and people hopping in. A cop walking by wouldn’t have thought anything strange was going on when she got in the car because it’s literally happening hundreds of other times all around Five Points throughout the night. And once she was in the car, there’s definitely nothing they could’ve done. The guy likely pretended to be an Uber driver for the first few minutes of the ride until they were out of Five Points.

Again- I don’t want to take away from how sickening of a situation this is, and I agree the CPD is not logical in how they approach a lot situations and do not have student’s best interests in mind a lot of times (speaking from personal experience), but.... this was just a horribly unlucky occurrence that likely could not have been prevented without changes to the Uber pickup system (designated pick up points that are actually enforced on the app, physical barcode on the car that must scan when passenger gets in).

Say one last thing here. I have a friend that lost his sister to in house invasion. Just no way to express what the victims family have to deal with the rest of there lives never forgetting wondering what they would be like married having children being a much-needed leader. Just puts a pit in my inners. Life is a gift from God our loving creator and the promise made that every sadden tear will be wiped away with joyful tears of seeing our loved ones again. Yes, man can take a life but only our creator the giver of life can bring our life back from the grave. So when we kill someone we have not only sinned to man's law but have sinned against our creator and we will face that when the time comes, as a poster said earlier killing been around long long time started with Cann and Abel. Just has increased. Three things people kill for Power, Sex and Money. Seems to be in big demand these days. Very sad to see. I say if you see someone in need take a minute to help even if it is a dog or cat. Love can go a long way in healing pain for a man or aminal we all share the same space.

There are exceptions and justice needs to be served. Our justice system needs some overhaul. There has to be a way we can successfully and justfly prosecute heinous crimes and bring about swift justice. I just don't think America is smart enough to fix this.

Reactions: 92Pony
Considering that’s what been done can’t be undone, I hope what I’m what about to post doesn’t come out the wrong way....

1. I’m thankful the perp was caught so quickly. The thought of such a pschyopath running free is sickening, and it’s good that he’s no longer out in the community spreading fear.
2. I’m thankful that her body was found so quickly. This obviously helps in the investigation, but more importantly will help bring closure to the young lady’s family.
3. I’m 53; certainly old enough to be this young lady’s father. I don’t have any daughters but I have two sons that I love dearly. This situation is every parents worst nightmare. Prayers sent for healing and for justice to be done....

Last edited:
There is nothing the cops could have done in this situation. The times I’ve been back to Five Points recently, there are cops on every street corner almost. Always walking through out in front of the bars.

There is also Uber after Uber pulling up and people hopping in. A cop walking by wouldn’t have thought anything strange was going on when she got in the car because it’s literally happening hundreds of other times all around Five Points throughout the night. And once she was in the car, there’s definitely nothing they could’ve done. The guy likely pretended to be an Uber driver for the first few minutes of the ride until they were out of Five Points.

Again- I don’t want to take away from how sickening of a situation this is, and I agree the CPD is not logical in how they approach a lot situations and do not have student’s best interests in mind a lot of times (speaking from personal experience), but.... this was just a horribly unlucky occurrence that likely could not have been prevented without changes to the Uber pickup system (designated pick up points that are actually enforced on the app, physical barcode on the car that must scan when passenger gets in).
Correct. This is an Uber/Lyft problem that they are going to have to find a way to address.

When I read about things like this happening I always wonder what if this person had a concealed weapon, could they have saved themselves? Just a small .380 or .38 revolver in the purse could have saved her life. I carry all the the time (legally) and I am working on getting my wife to train with her weapon and do the same. It is a dangerous world that we live in, full of scumbags...

Reactions: Gaimcock
When I read about things like this happening I always wonder what if this person had a concealed weapon, could they have saved themselves? Just a small .380 or .38 revolver in the purse could have saved her life. I carry all the the time (legally) and I am working on getting my wife to train with her weapon and do the same. It is a dangerous world that we live in, full of scumbags...

Not in this situation. She was at a bar prior to getting in the car.

Have you ever used either of them?
Never had a reason to. But that doesn't change my answer. They are a private business, it's there responsibility to ensure no one takes advantage of what they are offering. Otherwise, readily identifiable taxis will take over.

Never had a reason to. But that doesn't change my answer. They are a private business, it's there responsibility to ensure no one takes advantage of what they are offering. Otherwise, readily identifiable taxis will take over.
Then you don't know what you're talking about. They have already addressed the security issues if the riders adhere to them. All you have to do is make sure the driver is the one showing on your app and if not, don't get into a car.

Then you don't know what you're talking about. They have already addressed the security issues if the riders adhere to them. All you have to do is make sure the driver is the one showing on your app and if not, don't get into a car.
When I am in DC, NY or Chicago, I choose to use a cab. I know them and are used to them.

Why doesn't Uber/Lyft put in a policy that they will get out of the car and meet their client before allowing them to get in the car? Much safer for the client....and in that business it's all about client safety. If what happened in Columbia happens several times or worse becomes a trend and the companies fail to address it....wait for the lawsuits, they will come and fast.

Correct. This is an Uber/Lyft problem that they are going to have to find a way to address.

100% Wouldn't be surprised if there's a settlement with the family in the end as well.

Uber/Lyft have a fleet of legal and it's amazing that they were able to break the grip of the taxi industry - especially in mafia/mob dominant areas such as NYC. However, they won't have the luxury of public sentiment from this exposure. Certainly bound to evoke changes.

Reactions: rogue cock
Could not possibly agree more!!

Reactions: Proudcock
100% Wouldn't be surprised if there's a settlement with the family in the end as well.

Uber/Lyft have a fleet of legal and it's amazing that they were able to break the grip of the taxi industry - especially in mafia/mob dominant areas such as NYC. However, they won't have the luxury of public sentiment from this exposure. Certainly bound to evoke changes.

I do not see where Uber has any responsibility in this case. I use Uber and Lyft all over the country and I always verify that the person driving matches the person and car I have ordered. She made a mistake and got into the wrong car. It is unfortunate that she did not verify the car before she got in, but it is entirely the riders responsibility to do this.

The app gives you a drivers name, car description, license plate and you can see the cars location on the map. Checking any of these things would have saved her life.

I do not see where Uber has any responsibility in this case. I use Uber and Lyft all over the country and I always verify that the person driving matches the person and car I have ordered. She made a mistake and got into the wrong car. It is unfortunate that she did not verify the car before she got in, but it is entirely the riders responsibility to do this.

The app gives you a drivers name, car description, license plate and you can see the cars location on the map. Checking any of these things would have saved her life.
It depends on how often people are misusing the company's brand to commit criminal activity. At some point is becomes forseeable that this could happen. Once that occurs, the company had to do more to insure against it.....and, no, you can not put that responsibility on the customer/client.

I'm sure a tort lawyer can explain it better than I. There is a reason the IRS puts out the same warning every year that the IRS will NOT call you, contact you by email, etc... That they will only contact you by regular mail.

It depends on how often people are misusing the company's brand to commit criminal activity. At some point is becomes forseeable that this could happen. Once that occurs, the company had to do more to insure against it.....and, no, you can not put that responsibility on the customer/client.

I'm sure a tort lawyer can explain it better than I. There is a reason the IRS puts out the same warning every year that the IRS will NOT call you, contact you by email, etc... That they will only contact you by regular mail.

There is only one person responsible for this crime and he was not driving for Uber or Lyft.

When I am in DC, NY or Chicago, I choose to use a cab. I know them and are used to them.

Why doesn't Uber/Lyft put in a policy that they will get out of the car and meet their client before allowing them to get in the car? Much safer for the client....and in that business it's all about client safety. If what happened in Columbia happens several times or worse becomes a trend and the companies fail to address it....wait for the lawsuits, they will come and fast.
When I use Lyft etc. I always make them say my name first.

Reactions: rogue cock

Once again, you don't know what you're talking about. They do get out of their cars if you have luggage. You always have verbal contact with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT