ADVERTISEMENT

Want your kids back in school? HS sports?

Why rank it like that when there is a complicated set of variables, not limited to cost of living in SC vs other states. Instead of ranking them per state, which is just a way to escalate teacher pay in perpetuity (after all, if you're ranking them like that, someone will always be 50th, and that's "unacceptable"). So could the state do better in teacher pay? Probably. We need to evaluate teacher pay based on median household income vs median cost of living rather than "other states pay their teachers more than ours!". I'm not arguing against your point, just that metric. It's a terrible metric.

Well we can disagree on the metric while agreeing it sucks. When I graduated from USC in 2001, a teacher with a Bachelors Degree in Aiken County was making $18,500. I could’ve worked at McDonalds and made that.

For 3 of my 15 years there has been no pay increase. For several others the increase did not match the increase in insurance and cost of living. I actually get less dollars when you account for inflation in 2020 then I did in 2004.

Reactions: paladin181
Maybe everyone should contact their Democrat party congresspersons, senators etc., and ask them to put a moratorium on the Democrat party and Antifa sponsored rioting, looting and burning, because of the health risk. If we have a bad Chinese virus spike, it is less likely we will have school in the fall.
Congratulations on making the most idiotic post of the week and it's only Monday morning.

I would be careful gauging kid risk. Fact of the matter is kids have not been in school. Once you put them back in, your stats may get worse with kid infections. Right now the only kids getting infected are through people bringing it home or parents who have ignored the orders to social distance.

As for the teachers you know, they don’t speak for all. No one is falling behind. The good kids will still be the best when we get back. The less skilled and motivated will still be in their spot.

I’m a 41 year old parent of a one and 5 year old. I didn’t pop out a bunch of babies with the first girl I met in high school and my families safety shouldn’t be compromised because we’re not the majority.

Im fine with teaching outside. I want to work. I want to help kids. I also don’t want to see me or my wife hospitalized (Or worse) for doing so.
As far as kids go it’s pretty well established that the super vast majority won’t skip a beat. It doesn’t mean that kids with underlying issues are good to return. If there was an issue we would see it with all the daycares that are currently open. Three year olds don’t know anything about social distances.
The good news is that if school does start back people always have the option of homeschooling their kids. Now would be a great time for some type of voucher system. I understand there are people who are at greater risk than others, but the entire system can’t come to a halt. The negative future impact on kids and society in general can’t withstand it.

As far as kids go it’s pretty well established that the super vast majority won’t skip a beat. It doesn’t mean that kids with underlying issues are good to return. If there was an issue we would see it with all the daycares that are currently open. Three year olds don’t know anything about social distances.
The good news is that if school does start back people always have the option of homeschooling their kids. Now would be a great time for some type of voucher system. I understand there are people who are at greater risk than others, but the entire system can’t come to a halt. The negative future impact on kids and society in general can’t withstand it.

So you believe daycares and camps aren’t having outbreaks because I can provide you a series of articles that would say differently.

So now you’re for taking money from the already underfunded schools and place that toward vouchers?

This isn't just about COVID anymore... I honestly believe this is the beginning of schools forever changing into more of an online platform. They will begin teaching children virtually, with minimal in person instruction, which will cut the schools cost significantly. Think about how much money they will be able to save on teachers salaries, utilities, school lunches, etc. All they will have to do is say this is for the greater good of the community and people will go right along with it.
As a father to two elementary aged children it isn't just thinking about myself or my children. I don't want my kids falling farther behind than they already have. If you take even this fall semester and do it from home/virtually, you are now putting the kids a whole year behind. (Includes last year). In a state where we already rank in the low 40's educationally, I say we can't afford not to reopen schools. For those who don't feel comfortable sending their kids back to school, then by all means, do what is best for them and their families and do virtual learning, as for my family, I believe they should be in school.

I have been saying for a while now, that changes are coming as a result of the shutdown that no one imagined. There are going to be significant changes in schools, offices, workplaces, retail, etc. that no one envisioned a few months ago.

If one is working from home now, assuming they aren't making any type of product, but are just performing their jobs via computer. Someone in India can and will do that job for about a tenth of your salary.

Last edited:
I have been saying for a while now, that changes are coming as a result of the shutdown that no one imagined. There are going to be significant changes in schools, offices, workplaces, retail, etc. that no one envisioned a few months ago.

If one is working from home now, assuming they are making any type of product, but are just performing their jobs via computer. Someone in India can and will do that job for about a tenth of your salary.

Exactly Freddie! This goes far beyond party lines... this is going to hurt EVERYONE! This same type issue happened with the textile/manufacturing industries back in the late 90s and early 00's.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
How’s this. If schools start back and your kid gives Covid to someone else and it can be traced to them your liable for those folks medical bills all the way down the line. Obviously this is a crazy Idea but my point is that it’s easy to take a position when you don’t have liability. I guarantee you the state and schools will be getting sued if they have unsafe environments

So you believe daycares and camps aren’t having outbreaks because I can provide you a series of articles that would say differently.

So now you’re for taking money from the already underfunded schools and place that toward vouchers?

If they go to more of an online based learning, IMO you will begin to see an argument that they would only need "X" amount of teachers... they then will cut out a class-room here or there, eliminating those salaries and jobs from the books. Then it goes to... well we don't need "x" amount of support staff, bus drivers, administration, fine arts teachers, etc. because the kids are doing more online.

I hope I am wrong, but I think it would be like squeezing the toothpaste out of the tube and not being able to put it back in.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Well we can disagree on the metric while agreeing it sucks. When I graduated from USC in 2001, a teacher with a Bachelors Degree in Aiken County was making $18,500. I could’ve worked at McDonalds and made that.

For 3 of my 15 years there has been no pay increase. For several others the increase did not match the increase in insurance and cost of living. I actually get less dollars when you account for inflation in 2020 then I did in 2004.
Again, I agree with the point. Absolutely. I just find the metric to be misleading. Not all school systems in the bottom 25 are under paying their teachers, and not all above 25 are compensating them properly. When you rank something that isn't competitive in nature by a competitive metric, it doesn't accurately represent the data. Especially when in comparing one state to another we aren't comparing apples to apples in most cases.

How’s this. If schools start back and your kid gives Covid to someone else and it can be traced to them your liable for those folks medical bills all the way down the line. Obviously this is a crazy Idea but my point is that it’s easy to take a position when you don’t have liability. I guarantee you the state and schools will be getting sued if they have unsafe environments
The liability was created the second they closed the schools. Now they’ve set a precedent that can’t be undone. Don’t think for a second these scumbag politicians didn’t take notice and they will take advantage for as long as they can.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
There have been few times in recent memory where we could work together as a country and look out for one another. Americans value individualism, and that makes this country special and unique.

However, it is also American to work together in a crisis, and I'm still unsure how social distancing has become so controversial. Everybody wants things to be back to normal, but you cannot fail miserably at addressing a problem and have the leaders responsibe just throw their hands up in the air and tell parents that their kids are required to be in school without a plan or considering situations for each school district. We are still in the early stages of this virus. There is nothing American or conservative about forcing kids to go to school.
You are correct. If people would just stop complaining about whether or not school will open or not, we need to be complaining about the people not following the guidelines, that are keeping the schools closed. I have parents telling me they want their children back in school, but when you see them out at the store, they aren’t wearing a mask. Yeah, yeah, I know it is their choice, but don’t complain if you are part of the problem.

Last edited:
Again, I agree with the point. Absolutely. I just find the metric to be misleading. Not all school systems in the bottom 25 are under paying their teachers, and not all above 25 are compensating them properly. When you rank something that isn't competitive in nature by a competitive metric, it doesn't accurately represent the data. Especially when in comparing one state to another we aren't comparing apples to apples in most cases.

I get what you are saying so ill just keep it at the state and local level. Our general assembly has underfunded the schools. Our general assembly cut out the national board incentive to pay highly qualified teachers more. Districts have waived the pay increase Henry McMaster was touting and bragging about just a few short months ago.

Sure Lexington 1 is doing better than McCormick, but as a whole the state is doing much less than it could. We had to march for a raise while the state was sitting on a record surplus.

Easy give them a tax credit. Homeschoolers are still paying taxes to their local school, but then getting a credit on their personal taxes for homeschooling. Keep in mind a credit does not necessarily mean a tax refund. We give tax breaks to large companies, why can’t we offer them to parents educating their children from home?

You are correct. If people would just stop complaining about whether or not school will open or not, we need to be complaining about the people not following the guidelines, that are keeping the schools closed. I have parents telling me they want their children back in school, but when you see them out at the store, they aren’t wearing a mask. Yeah, yeah, I know it is their choice, but don’t complains if you are part of the problem.

I pose this question for you...

IF people wore their mask as instructed for the next three weeks and states made them mandatory, do you think that it would solve the issues we are seeing with the virus? Would we would see a sharp decline in cases and everything could go back to "normal"?

IF people wore their mask as instructed for the next three weeks and states made them mandatory, do you think that it would solve the issues we are seeing with the virus? Would we would see a sharp decline in cases and everything could go back to "normal"?
Yes. I honestly feel, that if people would wear the mask, social distance, and quit having Covid parties, we would see a sharp decline in cases. The new normal would be wearing a mask.

If they go to more of an online based learning, IMO you will begin to see an argument that they would only need "X" amount of teachers... they then will cut out a class-room here or there, eliminating those salaries and jobs from the books. Then it goes to... well we don't need "x" amount of support staff, bus drivers, administration, fine arts teachers, etc. because the kids are doing more online.

I hope I am wrong, but I think it would be like squeezing the toothpaste out of the tube and not being able to put it back in.

I tend to agree and don’t think I don’t know my job could very well be at risk. This is why we are saving as much back as possible. Between still getting a salary, taking the kids out of daycare and reducing our budget, we have been able to save a significant amount....even with my wife taking a pay cut. If one or both of us lost a job tomorrow, we could make it a while.

I know a couple that the husband and wife both lost their jobs and they have an infant. While I do feel bad, it’s hard for me to feel as much sympathy when just a few weeks earlier they were taking beach vacations assuming their income was guaranteed.

A lot of jobs are on the line in a down economy and teachers are included. This year most are fine because the budget is set. Next year is where the significant trimming of jobs will occur based on lack of funding this year for Covid.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
Yes. I honestly feel, that if people would wear the mask, social distance, and quit having Covid parties, we would see a sharp decline in cases. The new normal would be wearing a mask.

I appreciate the discussion and like that it's not getting personal at least on this thread... meaning a locked thread.

Say that everyone adheres to the mask for those three weeks including some form of social distancing, but really nothing changes... then what? I'd be curios to see what they say next...

Reactions: gcocks2011

I tend to believe so too, but given that I can’t even convince my entire family to do this, I’ve given up on the entire state doing so.

You are correct. If people would just stop complaining about whether or not school will open or not, we need to be complaining about the people not following the guidelines, that are keeping the schools closed. I have parents telling me they want their children back in school, but when you see them out at the store, they aren’t wearing a mask. Yeah, yeah, I know it is their choice, but don’t complains if you are part of the problem.
Yes, it is like the lowest hanging fruit. I do think schools will adjust the best way they see fit. Educators want kids back, but I understand the pushback when you have federal and state leaders just telling them what to do. It's like we have forgotten what compromise is.

I tend to agree and don’t think I don’t know my job could very well be at risk. This is why we are saving as much back as possible. Between still getting a salary, taking the kids out of daycare and reducing our budget, we have been able to save a significant amount....even with my wife taking a pay cut. If one or both of us lost a job tomorrow, we could make it a while.

I know a couple that the husband and wife both lost their jobs and they have an infant. While I do feel bad, it’s hard for me to feel as much sympathy when just a few weeks earlier they were taking beach vacations assuming their income was guaranteed.

A lot of jobs are on the line in a down economy and teachers are included. This year most are fine because the budget is set. Next year is where the significant trimming of jobs will occur based on lack of funding this year for Covid.

My thoughts exactly. As I've said earlier, with family in education, my mother could leave the school anytime after being in it 35 years. She and my father would be fine. It's those who don't have a tenure so to speak to guarantee them a solid future in a district. 2021, IMO you'll see several teachers losing positions along with support staff. I hope in all sincerity you aren't one of them. It's a strange time that we are living in, I just see this playing out as a reason to cut the budget even more after this year.

My thoughts exactly. As I've said earlier, with family in education, my mother could leave the school anytime after being in it 35 years. She and my father would be fine. It's those who don't have a tenure so to speak to guarantee them a solid future in a district. 2021, IMO you'll see several teachers losing positions along with support staff. I hope in all sincerity you aren't one of them. It's a strange time that we are living in, I just see this playing out as a reason to cut the budget even more after this year.
If our district cuts the budget any more, they might as well close the school. Lol

Thanks for the well wishes. I honestly may cut myself if I am forced to return. If I am told I have to roll the dice with my families health, I may just see what else is on the market. I may can make more money with the same or a lower risk to my family. Right now our district is picking people to lead virtual. I haven’t been contacted but would listen.

As a teacher I’ll be the first to admit there’s a lot of fat in education that could be trimmed. Instructional coaches, district level administration, etc....Hopefully cuts will be made there first, but we all know it will likely come to the teachers.

Reactions: Cocky4SC

I didn’t say daycares aren’t having kids test positive. I’m saying if Covid was a significant acute risk for children we would have seen it by now because so many have had it by now.
And I think vouchers are a good idea period. But that’s just one mans opinion.

Reactions: Expro19

I also can’t help but wonder...if people like your mom walk away because she’s older and can retire. If people like me walk away deciding the risk isn’t worth it, will there even be enough teachers? The districts have sat around without announcing a plan. Virtual does help because you can load tons in an online classroom, but that doesn’t help if teachers are needed in the building. It gets hard to hire qualified people in August too.

Thanks for the well wishes. I honestly may cut myself if I am forced to return. If I am told I have to roll the dice with my families health, I may just see what else is on the market. I may can make more money with the same or a lower risk to my family. Right now our district is picking people to lead virtual. I haven’t been contacted but would listen.

As a teacher I’ll be the first to admit there’s a lot of fat in education that could be trimmed. Instructional coaches, district level administration, etc....Hopefully cuts will be made there first, but we all know it will likely come to the teachers.
Instructional coaches are a joke and so are some of the positions at the district office. I am also hoping to teach virtually this year. My wife is a nurse and I don’t think the district would want me to have a classroom with children in it. My children are doing virtual learning this year, because of my wife being a nurse.

Instructional coaches are a joke and so are some of the positions at the district office. I am also hoping to teach virtually this year. My wife is a nurse and I don’t think the district would want me to have a classroom with children in it. My children are doing virtual learning this year, because of my wife being a nurse.

I haven’t decided. Schools obviously want to push kids virtual but how can I know when I don’t know what my job will look like? Yet my district wants us to decide in 2 weeks on my end, but they are sitting on 4 different plans they can change each week if needed.

I also can’t help but wonder...if people like your mom walk away because she’s older and can retire. If people like me walk away deciding the risk isn’t worth it, will there even be enough teachers? The districts have sat around without announcing a plan. Virtual does help because you can load tons in an online classroom, but that doesn’t help if teachers are needed in the building. It gets hard to hire qualified people in August too.
There aren’t enough teachers now. There is a shortage of at least 2,500 teachers in SC. They are looking for people with degrees in certain areas to come and be teachers. You don’t even have to be certified. That is how bad it has gotten.

I haven’t decided. Schools obviously want to push kids virtual but how can I know when I don’t know what my job will look like? Yet my district wants us to decide in 2 weeks on my end, but they are sitting on 4 different plans they can change each week if needed.
Our board meets tonight to decide on the schedule for the upcoming school year. I will know more by 7:00 tonight.

There aren’t enough teachers now. There is a shortage of at least 2,500 teachers in SC. They are looking for people with degrees in certain areas to come and be teachers. You don’t even have to be certified. That is how bad it has gotten.

Crappy pay, lack of support from administration and parents and now a pandemic. Who wouldn’t want to teach?

I wish every person clamoring for schools to reopen would work as a substitute to help offset the shortage. You only work when your kids are at school and you get to assume some more of the risk.

I’m sure our Secretary Of Education will be touring thousands of schools in the fall.

Crappy pay, lack of support from administration and parents and now a pandemic. Who wouldn’t want to teach?

I wish every person clamoring for schools to reopen would work as a substitute to help offset the shortage. You only work when your kids are at school and you get to assume some more of the risk.

I’m sure our Secretary Of Education will be touring thousands of schools in the fall.
That’s funny.

On average 100 people die each year from chicken pox and the last measles death in the US was 2015. Not the same as Covid-19.
You note I said in the past. A contagious disease that was not posed as a liability for the school system.

Show up to your local district office and politely ask for a refund on your education-based tax dollars. After all, if my child can’t receive services then I could use that money to hire a tutor, child care, etc.

Interesting article for those of us who are ready to return to normal:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/steve-hilton-tax-refund-schools-reopen-coroanvirus

Keep the kids home and let the parent's teach their own kids and keep they can their own money instead.

I tend to believe so too, but given that I can’t even convince my entire family to do this, I’ve given up on the entire state doing so.
True...and I'm a little guilty of this. Although I don't go to a lot of places. I go to work, grocery store and a couple of Bars/Restaurants that do a good job of cleaning and social distancing. On the bright side I do see a lot more people wearing masks out in public so hopefully the virus numbers will start going down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT