ADVERTISEMENT

Want your kids back in school? HS sports?

Show up to your local district office and politely ask for a refund on your education-based tax dollars. After all, if my child can’t receive services then I could use that money to hire a tutor, child care, etc.

Interesting article for those of us who are ready to return to normal:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/steve-hilton-tax-refund-schools-reopen-coroanvirus
Schools are going to open, just not the way they used to be. Not now anyway. Anyone that thinks they should, is really only thinking about themselves.

Schools are going to open, just not the way they used to be. Not now anyway. Anyone that thinks they should, is really only thinking about themselves.
I think that is generally what we do as humans, isn't it? Why should my child be robbed of a major life experience because of media-driven histeria? This year it's Covid, next year it'll be racism, climate change or whatever other "crisis" is politically expedient. You're right though; I am just thinking about myself and my family, and I won't be living in fear.

This isn't just about COVID anymore... I honestly believe this is the beginning of schools forever changing into more of an online platform. They will begin teaching children virtually, with minimal in person instruction, which will cut the schools cost significantly. Think about how much money they will be able to save on teachers salaries, utilities, school lunches, etc. All they will have to do is say this is for the greater good of the community and people will go right along with it.
As a father to two elementary aged children it isn't just thinking about myself or my children. I don't want my kids falling farther behind than they already have. If you take even this fall semester and do it from home/virtually, you are now putting the kids a whole year behind. (Includes last year). In a state where we already rank in the low 40's educationally, I say we can't afford not to reopen schools. For those who don't feel comfortable sending their kids back to school, then by all means, do what is best for them and their families and do virtual learning, as for my family, I believe they should be in school.

This isn't just about COVID anymore... I honestly believe this is the beginning of schools forever changing into more of an online platform. They will begin teaching children virtually, with minimal in person instruction, which will cut the schools cost significantly. Think about how much money they will be able to save on teachers salaries, utilities, school lunches, etc. All they will have to do is say this is for the greater good of the community and people will go right along with it.
As a father to two elementary aged children it isn't just thinking about myself or my children. I don't want my kids falling farther behind than they already have. If you take even this fall semester and do it from home/virtually, you are now putting the kids a whole year behind. (Includes last year). In a state where we already rank in the low 40's educationally, I say we can't afford not to reopen schools. For those who don't feel comfortable sending their kids back to school, then by all means, do what is best for them and their families and do virtual learning, as for my family, I believe they should be in school.
Yeah. Public schools are why we homeschool. You know what's funny? There is no government payout for homeschooling. I have to come up with the same lesson plans, the same supplies, the same meals as the school would supply, but I'm doing it all out of pocket. But my kids are in the top 5% nationally for their ages, so... I guess it's a fair trade off. School doesn't get to ruin them intellectually, and for that, it's worth paying out of pocket.

Yeah. Public schools are why we homeschool. You know what's funny? There is no government payout for homeschooling. I have to come up with the same lesson plans, the same supplies, the same meals as the school would supply, but I'm doing it all out of pocket. But my kids are in the top 5% nationally for their ages, so... I guess it's a fair trade off. School doesn't get to ruin them intellectually, and for that, it's worth paying out of pocket.

I support public education and the schools are quite good in my area of SC. What I don’t support is a pointless lockdown which isn’t making a damn bit of difference.

Let me know how that polite talk goes. Be sure to post a picture of the refund you receive.
It’s more of a rhetorical request. I will gladly continue paying my taxes as I appreciate the quality of a good education. The problem is that service is not being rendered and a message needs to be sent.

Reactions: cocks rule

We have disagreed on public education but I do agree there should be some type of tax break for those that choose to do it at home. That can be done without stripping under funded public schools.

It’s more of a rhetorical request. I will gladly continue paying my taxes as I appreciate the quality of a good education. The problem is that service is not being rendered and a message needs to be sent.

I disagree. I can’t speak for the entire state but I will tell you what our district did:

1. Provided meals for anyone in the community (didn’t even need to be a student, so if you went hungry it was your own fault)

2. Drove buses around the county to provide wifi for those that needed it. It was for the kids but parents could take advantage of free internet from the district too. An unemployed parent could search for jobs while Johnny did his work.

3. Many teachers had video conferences and provided communication with kids and parents.

That’s just a start. Is that not a decent return on your investment? Food, internet and teaching your child.

I think that is generally what we do as humans, isn't it? Why should my child be robbed of a major life experience because of media-driven histeria? This year it's Covid, next year it'll be racism, climate change or whatever other "crisis" is politically expedient. You're right though; I am just thinking about myself and my family, and I won't be living in fear.
I am a teacher and have an eight year old and a ten year old. I know kids need to be in school and they will be. For now, I just don’t think we should have classrooms packed with 25 to 30 students. Most schools in SC will be doing a hybrid schedule, which will consist of in person learning and online learning. I really think with the smaller classes, teachers will be able to get students on par to where they need to be.

Schools are not going to go to all virtual learning. People are bitching now, because schools being closed aren’t allowing people to go back to work. What you are saying, is no different than what is taking place today.

I am a teacher and have an eight year old and a ten year old. I know kids need to be in school and they will be. For now, I just don’t think we should have classrooms packed with 25 to 30 students. Most schools in SC will be doing a hybrid schedule, which will consist of in person learning and online learning. I really think with the smaller classes, teachers will be able to get students on par to where they need to be.
I am a teacher too, but who is dictating what’s healthy and what’s not? Is 14 students in a room okay but 17 is not? Our understanding of this virus is medieval. What’s not medieval is a strong public school tradition that requires students be in a desk.

I disagree. I can’t speak for the entire state but I will tell you what our district did:

1. Provided meals for anyone in the community (didn’t even need to be a student, so if you went hungry it was your own fault)

2. Drove buses around the county to provide wifi for those that needed it. It was for the kids but parents could take advantage of free internet from the district too. An unemployed parent could search for jobs while Johnny did his work.

3. Many teachers had video conferences and provided communication with kids and parents.

That’s just a start. Is that not a decent return on your investment? Food, internet and teaching your child.
Our district did the same. Our district also has a summer feeding program. We deliver breakfast and lunch to children throughout the district. If people quit paying taxes, because they feel they are being cheated, they need to think about how many more children would be starving.

Maybe everyone should contact their Democrat party congresspersons, senators etc., and ask them to put a moratorium on the Democrat party and Antifa sponsored rioting, looting and burning, because of the health risk. If we have a bad Chinese virus spike, it is less likely we will have school in the fall.

Schools are not going to go to all virtual learning. People are bitching now, because schools being closed aren’t allowing people to go back to work. What you are saying, is no different than what is taking place today.

I believe you didn't read my statement clearly. I said They will begin teaching children virtually, with minimal in person instruction. If they do what they are proposing in the state with two days of in person instruction, that leaves three other days of either virtual learning or no instruction.

Explain to me how parents are supposed to have a job to provide for their children when you've got to be home with them for their virtual instruction? Middle school/high school kids are a little different than an elementary aged child in regards on needing supervision.

I believe you didn't read my statement clearly. I said They will begin teaching children virtually, with minimal in person instruction. If they do what they are proposing in the state with two days of in person instruction, that leaves three other days of either virtual learning or no instruction.

Explain to me how parents are supposed to have a job to provide for their children when you've got to be home with them for their virtual instruction? Middle school/high school kids are a little different than an elementary aged child in regards on needing supervision.

This is about control and it is not base on science.

I am a teacher too, but who is dictating what’s healthy and what’s not? Is 14 students in a room okay but 17 is not? Our understanding of this virus is medieval. What’s not medieval is a strong public school tradition that requires students be in a desk.
I agree that students need to be in a desk, but I also think it needs to be done as safely as possible. I teach in rural area, where half of my students are being raised by their grandparents. If Johnny goes to school in a packed classroom and gets infected, he goes home and infects the only people he has to take care of him. What happens to Johnny?

Our district did the same. Our district also has a summer feeding program. We deliver breakfast and lunch to children throughout the district. If people quit paying taxes, because they feel they are being cheated, they need to think about how many more children would be starving.

Yeah hard to paint the “for the children” argument when your plan is to cut their funding if you don’t get exactly what you want

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
Do you have any evidence that it is being transmitted from children? I’m not seeing that at all. Countries that had no lockdowns whatsoever are not reporting any negative effects of re-opening schools.

I really don't think it should be up to a school to be a food distributer or a wi fi service.

That’s your job as a parent. There’s a variety of options. Hire a tutor so you can work and pay them. Ask a family member. Enroll them in a private school that is open, if that occurs. Work nights or weekends. Adulting can be hard sometimes.

When these kids bring this disease home and their guardian gets hooked to a ventilator or dies how are they supposed to provide?

Reactions: Rollerdude123
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I saw you mention that you were a teacher and in a rural area. I live in the Upstate. Have several family members in the education field (one of those being my mother who has taught for 35 years), also a golfing buddy who is the Superintendent in one of our districts. I have a strong respect for what y'all do. I honestly feel like y'all are underpaid big time!

I'm interested in your thoughts on how it can work for a longer period of time with children who don't have a strong home structure/ support system. What about the kids who don't have the greatest of internet, will they not just get farther behind because of their economic disadvantages? What about the kids who have to be motivated and driven to learn by their teachers at a desk, while it may happen two/three days a week, seems like it would be two steps foward, one step back?

Reactions: Elgringo
That’s your job as a parent. There’s a variety of options. Hire a tutor so you can work and pay them. Ask a family member. Enroll them in a private school that is open, if that occurs. Work nights or weekends. Adulting can be hard sometimes.

When these kids bring this disease home and their guardian gets hooked to a ventilator or dies how are they supposed to provide?

My family and I are doing just fine, thanks Ben. I don't have a problem "adulting"... But that single mother who lives in government housing, or that person working two jobs to keep the lights on at their house/apartment... are you going to tell them to send their kids to private school as you suggest or hire a tutor? Hey go get another job! Are you going to tell them that "adulting can be hard sometimes?"
All this would do is add more people to the unemployment lines and living off the government.

I read a few articles from pediatric physicians (no I don't have a source, nor do I care to go search for it again) stating that by keeping kids away from each other might do more harm than good. While yes it might keep them from spreading COVID to their guardians, it will have a harmful effect on ttheir immune systems. They will become more compromised and the virus/bacteria that they normally can fight off will become more harmful to them because they aren't being exposed to it from other children.

Reactions: ddw1263
Maybe everyone should contact their Democrat party congresspersons, senators etc., and ask them to put a moratorium on the Democrat party and Antifa sponsored rioting, looting and burning, because of the health risk. If we have a bad Chinese virus spike, it is less likely we will have school in the fall.
Who do you contact in South Carolina?

On that note, they may have a stronger argument now that the "public good" benefit is not being administered.

This is 100% correct. The changes school dictricts made to help support theirr students came with a hefty price tag. Teachers salaries were still paid while they taught on line. IT staff were stretched to extend broadband capabilities on district systems and keep video platforms updated.Lunches were cooked and delivered, etc..

Maybe it's just me, but I am really surprised by the unwillingness to do something for someone else shown by people in South Carolina. Keeping your kids out of school will teach them to be adaptable in many ways(something mellinnials and Gen Z ers need help with), slow the virus and quite possibly save a life. These are excellent lessons for kids to learn.

This is 100% correct. The changes school dictricts made to help support theirr students came with a hefty price tag. Teachers salaries were still paid while they taught on line. IT staff were stretched to extend broadband capabilities on district systems and keep video platforms updated.Lunches were cooked and delivered, etc..

Maybe it's just me, but I am really surprised by the unwillingness to do something for someone else shown by people in South Carolina. Keeping your kids out of school will teach them to be adaptable in many ways(something mellinnials and Gen Z ers need help with), slow the virus and quite possibly save a life. These are excellent lessons for kids to learn.

Questions: 1) Do you have kids in the public school system right now, more so elementary aged children that would need more adult supervision and hands on instuction? 2) In your opinion, How can those students that aren't from a solid home foundation get the structure they need to complete their school work and ensure that they aren't falling behind. While the lessons as you stated are very important, so is every kid who doesn't have built in advantages when it comes to schooling, being ensured that they don't fall farther behind than they already are.

There have been few times in recent memory where we could work together as a country and look out for one another. Americans value individualism, and that makes this country special and unique.

However, it is also American to work together in a crisis, and I'm still unsure how social distancing has become so controversial. Everybody wants things to be back to normal, but you cannot fail miserably at addressing a problem and have the leaders responsibe just throw their hands up in the air and tell parents that their kids are required to be in school without a plan or considering situations for each school district. We are still in the early stages of this virus. There is nothing American or conservative about forcing kids to go to school.

Last edited:
I really don't think it should be up to a school to be a food distributer or a wi fi service.

We can certainly debate that but when people complain about their tax dollars they need to see the full picture.

Should the district laid off bus drivers and food service employees in an attempt to save money. If you care about the economy, they’re part of it too.

In general the risk isn’t to elementary and grade school kids parents. The risk is with older teachers and staff. That’s the question. How do we protect the elderly and late middle age from the kids. I do know several teachers and they are genuinely concerned about kids falling even further behind. They want the kids in school. One even pointed out how she is sad knowing that some kids only positive experiences occur when they are at school, horrible home lives. It’s a challenge but we have to find a way. Waiting for a vaccine (which is no guarantee) or waiting for this to pass isn’t the answer. It’s not about stopping Covid, it’s about controlling it as best as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cocky4SC
Questions: 1) Do you have kids in the public school system right now, more so elementary aged children that would need more adult supervision and hands on instuction? 2) In your opinion, How can those students that aren't from a solid home foundation get the structure they need to complete their school work and ensure that they aren't falling behind. While the lessons as you stated are very important, so is every kid who doesn't have built in advantages when it comes to schooling, being ensured that they don't fall farther behind than they already are.

No. My kid is out of school now. For what it's worth, I've been in education for 30 years at the high school and collegiate level.

I will admit there is no perfect answer here. I do think our mindset on the school issue as a Nation is off track. Most people are thinking schools will either be open or closed. But why not be more creative? This may be the time to alter the structure of the school day. How about sending kids to school 3 days a week for in person lessons, and two days for online instructions. Or, maybe have young kids (K-5) in school from 8-noon, then, open middle and high schools from Noon-4? This way we get all kids into the building each day while we limit exposure for everyone and also give custodial staff more time to clean after before or after the school day. There are some amazing things going on in school in other Countries. America needs to check our egos and learn from other Nations where they are having significant success. Our problem is America has a sizable part of the population whom, even in the face of facts, refuse to believe we have a virus problem at all.

I recognize the needs of all kids and yes, some are in more precarious situations than others and have greater needs. This is the most important reason to get creative. Sadly, the administration seems unable to think outside the box on this issue so the school distrcts will have to use their imaginations. With that said, any change on such a large scale will require substantial funding so we won't get our tax moeny back.

If everyone on this thread agrees schools are essential can we start agreeing that schools need to be fully funded by the General Assembly instead of under funded per pupil as set by......The General Assembly.

If education is so important can we agree that our state needs to do better than 40th in teacher pay?

If kids mental health is so important, how come so many were against teachers marching to the state House for better pay, fully funded schools and more mental health counselors?

By the way, that teacher pay increased promised as a result of that march....gone.

Teachers should march again. Get the things promised to them before one school reopens. I guarantee you teachers would get a lot more in one week.

I general the risk isn’t to elementary and grade school kids parents. The risk is with older teachers and staff. That’s the question. How do we protect the elderly and late middle age from the kids. I do know several teachers and they are genuinely concerned about kids falling even further behind. They want the kids in school. One even pointed out how she is sad knowing that some kids only positive experiences occur when they are at school, horrible home lives. It’s a challenge but we have to find a way. Waiting for a vaccine (which is no guarantee) or waiting for this to pass isn’t the answer. It’s not about stopping Covid, it’s about controlling it as best as possible.

I would be careful gauging kid risk. Fact of the matter is kids have not been in school. Once you put them back in, your stats may get worse with kid infections. Right now the only kids getting infected are through people bringing it home or parents who have ignored the orders to social distance.

As for the teachers you know, they don’t speak for all. No one is falling behind. The good kids will still be the best when we get back. The less skilled and motivated will still be in their spot.

I’m a 41 year old parent of a one and 5 year old. I didn’t pop out a bunch of babies with the first girl I met in high school and my families safety shouldn’t be compromised because we’re not the majority.

Im fine with teaching outside. I want to work. I want to help kids. I also don’t want to see me or my wife hospitalized (Or worse) for doing so.

If education is so important can we agree that our state needs to do better than 40th in teacher pay?
Why rank it like that when there is a complicated set of variables, not limited to cost of living in SC vs other states. Instead of ranking them per state, which is just a way to escalate teacher pay in perpetuity (after all, if you're ranking them like that, someone will always be 50th, and that's "unacceptable"). So could the state do better in teacher pay? Probably. We need to evaluate teacher pay based on median household income vs median cost of living rather than "other states pay their teachers more than ours!". I'm not arguing against your point, just that metric. It's a terrible metric.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT